Book 2 – Page 60

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 60

Postby RichMan » Fri May 06, 2011 6:45 pm

Well it seems this will certainly bring things to a head in the magic kingdom.

1 - unaware WTF "a warlord" group
2 - thinkamancer/maggie group
3 - Janice+Marie and friends which may be fully and is at least partially part of 2). But may have a different goal
4 - any Charlie aligned group

This is going to Bop poor Sizemore's mind.
RichMan

Postby Ansan Gotti » Fri May 06, 2011 6:58 pm

Great find, wrecan. I think I've swung to your view. Curiouser and curiouser! Can't imagine Jeftichew has any love for Parson, that's for sure.
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Sixty » Fri May 06, 2011 7:09 pm

If Parson does manage to reach the battle before it is over he might get wounded and we could have an answer to the whole "Do erf units know about/have blood" based on their reactions to seeing Parson bleed. We never see them bleed but there is that line Caeser had about "drinking your blood by a campfire" in book 1 towards Jillian.
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Konterfei » Fri May 06, 2011 7:13 pm

I bet that "George" is in fact Jack under a cunning veil who has been ordered into the MK from Jetstones portal to give foolamancy and scroll cover just in case anything goes wrong. Since it doesnt take movement, he can enter and leave as he pleases...
Konterfei

Postby BanzaiJoe » Fri May 06, 2011 7:28 pm

Zeku wrote:The funny thing about panel 8, is that very often in those Benny Hill sketches, Benny would see something particularly good happening, (involving a woman) then break the 4th wall with a big grin, which is exactly what this new character is doing. Since it's not Parson himself who is grinning, it seems very likely that this is a bad guy who is about to mess things up.

It's still not clear to me why it matters whether Parson arrives at Jetstone. He'll probably arrive and some plot will happen, but what is he expecting to happen?

I'm with you on that one and one more. If you look at panel 4, 5, and 7. "George" is obviously standing behind the portal. Hamster would not see him. If you look at the position of the other people, George is not looking in their direction to smile either. George is looking at us.

Which also brings up the point about why he's standing right there. One would typically stand right next to the portal to do something in response. I'm going with the response to Hamster coming through. He was present in p. 57 as the tunnel was made. He seemed to be aware / ready for the plan to come into action. The trap has been sprung in more than one way.
BanzaiJoe

Postby Zeku » Fri May 06, 2011 7:34 pm

So, in reference to Hedgehogs and Street Fighters, the Sonic Drive-In was definitely the better choice. The logo is a little more recognizable, and more importantly, the word choice is just perfect. There's a real danger that Erfworld could become visually stale, if it only contains references to video games and other comics. The more mainstream a reference is, the better it is overall.

I'd also like to mention that I love that the purples use a "sonic" attack. Of the four elements, air is often represented as being less destructive than fire, earth, and water, with it's other qualities (logic, manipulation, communication, catalyzation) being downplayed or ignored. I like that air is actually the siege attack in this case, and not something wimpy. The purples are now my favorite, for their eardrum destroying frontal attack, and not just because they're purple.
Zeku

Postby Booper » Fri May 06, 2011 7:52 pm

Zeku wrote:The purples are now my favorite, for their eardrum destroying frontal attack, and not just because they're purple.

Unfortunately, despite the purple dwagons having a sonic attack, there doesn't seem to be any deafness component to the attack, at least yet, as we see the Jetstone troops talking to one another in the last pannel, without any evidence of even minor ringing in their ears, much less than the trauma that you'd expect from the force required to break open doors and destroy buildings. Maybe this has something to do with Erf physiology, where hearing isn't structure based, but another form of Natural Thinkamancy? If this were the case, it'd explain why Wanda's uncroaked, despite being in states of advanced decay, could still "hear" and follow out orders.

If Warlord to Unit communication is based, at least in part on Natural Thinkamancy, who's to say that Unit-Unit communication isn't also?
Booper

Postby Sylvan » Fri May 06, 2011 8:08 pm

I wonder how much damage that actually did to the troops, and what level Tramennis is.

Tram was knocked out, but the knight with the horned helm seems right as rain (dude is hardcore, he immediately slams his sword into the ground to hold his position when the purples blast in the doors). In contrast to the horned-helm, redplume in front seems to have a broken arm (notice the twisted skin on the arm he is gripping?)

Rob, if you are reading this I just want to say I really, really hope the next update is not a text update unless it is a really badass one. I trust you to make it interesting (Antium in the Atrium as it was about to be broken was interesting despite the imminent drama of the harvesting plan unfolding) in the event that it *is* a text update, but there have been about 4-5 times in book 2 when we get 2-3 comics in a row (not including the first 6 pages of book two, which were pretty much all comic) because things are just at an especially dramatic moment. This completely deserves to be ones of those times. I almost wish there were no more updates until book 2 could be posted all at once, just so I wouldn't have to bear this kind of suspense between updates.

I for one am very excited about what it to come.
Sylvan

Postby kaylasdad99 » Fri May 06, 2011 8:15 pm

Balance wrote:
reteo wrote:Is it just me, or does George/Jeftichew/whomever seem to be responding to Hamster's comment about the Benny Hill music? It's hard to tell, but he almost looks like he's smirking.

I wondered about that. There's definitely a twitch of the mustache there. Of course, he might just be amused by whatever he's planning to do with that scroll.
He might be planning to invade GK (on whose behalf is not clear, but see below), neutralize Maggie, and go find Stanley and use the scroll to subdue him.

In order for him to have such a plan, it would likely be necessary for him to be working for someone who can anticipate Parson's strategic thinking, and would know that the GK portal room is going to be vulnerable. Which does point to Charlie.
kaylasdad99

Postby gameboy1234 » Fri May 06, 2011 8:35 pm

Anias wrote: My money is on the previously-mentioned option: they retreat with Tram, Slately attacks the air force, croaks (maybe captures?) Ossomer, promotes Tram, Tram escapes and JS keeps on living, Slately croaks...Slately promotes Tram with dying breath, maybe makes some last comment about his lost sons and how Tram is his best hope for nobility to live on.

This. More to the point, Slately's desire for a heroic last attack is now necessary. There's no way down, the tower will fall, and his son Tram is incapacitated. Slately must at least somehow get Pierce to Tram (assuming no scrolls), and must either escape himself or earn enough schmuckers to promote Tram before croaking himself.

I predict: kill Ossomer (capture is unfeasible), kill a few archons, get the cash and promote Tram. Then break off the casters to aid Tram, while Slately kills a few more Archons before croaking, trying to get as many schmuckers as possible out of Charlie (their side needs it).

I'm also predicting a lot of discussion with Ossomer as they fight, with Ossomer fighting as badly as possible (he'll mainly target the Orlys) and then basically ending with Ossomer saying "I'm sorry father."
Last edited by gameboy1234 on Sat May 07, 2011 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Dr Pepper » Fri May 06, 2011 8:36 pm

wrecan wrote: I think it would be deliciously ironic if his Side wins before he gets a chance to arrive only because he is held up in the Magic Kingdom by a little old civil war.

He's already in the tunnel and running. He will not be held up.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby kaylasdad99 » Fri May 06, 2011 8:43 pm

kaylasdad99 wrote:
Balance wrote:
reteo wrote:Is it just me, or does George/Jeftichew/whomever seem to be responding to Hamster's comment about the Benny Hill music? It's hard to tell, but he almost looks like he's smirking.

I wondered about that. There's definitely a twitch of the mustache there. Of course, he might just be amused by whatever he's planning to do with that scroll.
He might be planning to invade GK (on whose behalf is not clear, but see below), neutralize Maggie, and go find Stanley and use the scroll to subdue him.

In order for him to have such a plan, it would likely be necessary for him to be working for someone who can anticipate Parson's strategic thinking, and would know that the GK portal room is going to be vulnerable. Which does point to Charlie.
OTOH, if that's Jeftichew, his admonition to work only for Royals would preclude his working for Charlie, so... :?:

ETA: Good thread, everyone.
kaylasdad99

Postby Sygerrik » Fri May 06, 2011 9:04 pm

Sylvan wrote:I wonder how much damage that actually did to the troops, and what level Tramennis is.

Tram was knocked out, but the knight with the horned helm seems right as rain (dude is hardcore, he immediately slams his sword into the ground to hold his position when the purples blast in the doors). In contrast to the horned-helm, redplume in front seems to have a broken arm (notice the twisted skin on the arm he is gripping?)

There's a significant random element to Erf damage. Especially environmental damage, which this could be (i.e. Tram is hurt by the collapsing wall). Remember, falls either 1) do a random amount of damage 2) cripple you 3) kill you instantly. It looks like he's incapacitated, which we've seen happen to Wanda and Jack so far, the former twice. Incapacitation is basically "coma" with the added restriction that you must be healed or you will croak, but with a juiced-up Healamancer on their side Jetstone should be able to heal him. I just think it's better plot-wise if he dies.

Also, there's no way George is Jeftichew, mostly because he doesn't look like a dog boy! He looks like George Harrison, which is a completely different person. Rob is usually pretty good about having Erf characters that are based on real people resemble the person they're based on closely. Also, if George is working for Charlie (a proposition I find plausible) he can't be Jeftichew because, as stated, Jeftichew would never work for Charlie. Bea made him promise.

Finally, why would Slately's throwing his life away be necessary? He could just, you know, flee and leave Tram to his fate. Which would be the soundest tactical decision, since any engagement with GK forces will augment them and reduce his own to little gain (now that Wanda is safe). Yeah, it's a little callous, but it's the right thing to do. Slately has less incentive than ever to promote his son to heir. Think about it: if Slately flees, Jetstone is guaranteed to survive. If he attacks and fails, Jetstone is guaranteed to be destroyed. If he attacks and succeeds, Jetstone is not guaranteed to be destroyed, but it is fairly likely, especially since the King will be dead and his heir will be a) still in the danger zone and b) incapacitated. There's no upside to attacking, really.
Sygerrik

Postby Jinren » Fri May 06, 2011 9:05 pm

kaylasdad99 wrote:Jeftichew, his admonition to work only for Royals would preclude his working for Charlie, so... :?:

Charlie's not aligned with Toolism, which is the real distinction of importance. He could be working "with" rather than "for" Charlie to get around the technicality.

Isn't Vanna generally thought to have had Charlie's help in casting Kingworld? (I got that from the wiki... I can't even remember the plot that far back.) It would be the same sort of thing.

Oh, and I agree with Zeku: Panel 8 is the look of a man who can see the fourth wall.
Last edited by Jinren on Fri May 06, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jinren

Postby Aquillion » Fri May 06, 2011 9:06 pm

That was my initial thought, too. Hiding behind the portal isn't really necessary for covering or attacking Parson, but it would be useful if he doesn't want anyone to see him enter the portal.

That said, I doubt that it'd really work. GK does have garrison units, more than enough to take out a lone caster. And Stanley himself is far from helpless in combat. Besides, why wait until Parson leaves? Aside from his intelligence, Parson is not a huge tactical consideration -- his warlord bonus is low. Not only that, but if it were Charlie, Parson would be his main target -- attacking Stanley makes no sense at all.

(Unless it's some extremely elaborate plan to arrange to have Parson in the MK when Stanley dies.)
Aquillion

Postby DyolfKnip » Fri May 06, 2011 9:10 pm

http://www.erfworld.com/wp-content/uploads/book2/2010-09-15.jpg

Guys, I'm pretty sure that croaking all the decrypted archons in Jetsone's airspace still wouldn't help make Tram heir. Charlie said he was offering credit, not cash. He also said it in the context of "winning back a lost customer". He's offering a discount on more mercenary work, not handing out gems.

EDIT: Nm. Reread the rest of that page, and apparently it is in cash.
Last edited by DyolfKnip on Fri May 06, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DyolfKnip

Postby Ambug666 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:17 pm

kaylasdad99 wrote:OTOH, if that's Jeftichew, his admonition to work only for Royals would preclude his working for Charlie, so... :?:

I had that thought too, but Vanna was (likely) linked to Charlie to do the Kingworld spell. So maybe there is some sort of "I'm working for a royal, but they need me to do something for/with Charlie" clause here.

So, what does a carnymancer do anyway?
Ambug666

Postby RichMan » Fri May 06, 2011 9:26 pm

kaylasdad99 wrote:]He might be planning to invade GK (on whose behalf is not clear, but see below), neutralize Maggie, and go find Stanley and use the scroll to subdue him.

Possibly but Stanley is not Slately. Santley is a piker who became a warlord who became a ruler and now wields the arkenhammer. Stanley might not be the most adept commander but he is certainly good enough for a one on one, or small skirmish, when he can command every unit in the hex to his defense. I doubt any lone caster would stand up to Van-der-Gaff.

Oh and Stanley likely noticed Parson leave the Hex because of the loss of the Chief Warlord in the hex bonus.
RichMan

Postby Kaed » Fri May 06, 2011 9:27 pm

Ambug666 wrote:
kaylasdad99 wrote:OTOH, if that's Jeftichew, his admonition to work only for Royals would preclude his working for Charlie, so... :?:

I had that thought too, but Vanna was (likely) linked to Charlie to do the Kingworld spell. So maybe there is some sort of "I'm working for a royal, but they need me to do something for/with Charlie" clause here.

Hahah, awesome. I may be on a roll here after all. This might be Jeftichew.

And as for Carnymancy, people have speculated that it involves 'stage magic' and is in fact the discipline of magic linked to the Arkenhammer - taming beasts, shooting lightning, rocking, turning walnuts into birds, even flying around. If it wows a crowd it is probably Carnymancy.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby President_Allosaurus » Fri May 06, 2011 9:45 pm

Ambug666 wrote:

Welcome to da great show, friend! Just wait until you see what's in store for ya!
President_Allosaurus

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions