Book 2 – Text Updates 048

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 048

Postby Renion » Fri May 13, 2011 6:46 am

skarl wrote:nice update! sitting in school, having an 'hour without classes' (google translate gives no translations for 'tussenuur'. ),and cheking if the new update is onine: and IT IS!

now, we finally know the jetstone battle plan.

"Recess", "free period", "break period", or "free time" all work.

Although recess has a childlike connotation because the term is often used in K-6 education (5 to 12 year olds). The other common use for recess is in reference to courtrooms.
Renion

Postby Dr Pepper » Fri May 13, 2011 6:50 am

balder wrote:http://www.erfworld.com/2011/05/book-2-%e2%80%93-text-updates-048/ is up.

Ack! New one is up. 5 minutes of reading. BOOM! And another week of fretting.

Nice timing though. We have Slately and his casters, Moody Oss and the archons, Scarlett and her strike force, Don and his regrets, and Trem and his knights-- all synchronized to the melee round, a rare occurance in Erf.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Dr Pepper » Fri May 13, 2011 6:54 am

peteratjet wrote:Shaken but not spilt! Well, maybe a few drops. (Pierce's Martini that is)

Is that Radar next to Ace?

It's Cubbins.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Berserkas » Fri May 13, 2011 6:54 am

Once again, Royalty shows why they all need to be brutally murdered (except maybe tramennis)

Slately put the Royal Scepter of Jetstone in the hands of a non-Royal caster

OH DEAR TITANS NON-ROYAL!!!11!1!!

Casters can't be royal anyway (everything points to that, at least), yet i see that the stupid prejudices against them as non-royal units still actually exist. :roll: Dear Titans, just let GK kill them all already.
Berserkas

Postby gukolai » Fri May 13, 2011 7:38 am

love the GI joe reference ^_^

also: we should consider calling Ace an Actionmancer instead of a Dollamancer

"it's not a doll it's an action figure!" ^_^
gukolai

Postby joosy » Fri May 13, 2011 7:42 am

Berserkas wrote:Once again, Royalty shows why they all need to be brutally murdered (except maybe tramennis)

Casters can't be royal anyway (everything points to that, at least), yet i see that the stupid prejudices against them as non-royal units still actually exist. :roll: Dear Titans, just let GK kill them all already.

I think there is yet some unexplained mechanic when popping units as to what attributes they will have. We know that we have different royal units that are not necessarily warlords as well (Courtiers, nobles, etc.)

I believe you can intentionally try to pop a Royal warlord which I surmise costs more schmuckers for upkeep and takes longer to pop. If that warlord then happens to be a caster, then you would have a Royal caster.
joosy

Postby joosy » Fri May 13, 2011 7:43 am

gukolai wrote:love the GI joe reference ^_^

also: we should consider calling Ace an Actionmancer instead of a Dollamancer

"it's not a doll it's an action figure!" ^_^

Knowing is half the battle! The other half is 25% blue lasers and 25% red lasers.
joosy

Postby Raza » Fri May 13, 2011 8:37 am

Berserkas wrote:Once again, Royalty shows why they all need to be brutally murdered (except maybe tramennis)

I find them compelling characters, but by and large I agree. Entitlement ethics, Ossomer's insistence even post-decryption on being 'distinguished' from the common troops, the whole superiority complex packaged as virtue but contingent only on station thing is dreadfully unsympathetic. If I were an Erfworlder and not just an entertained onlooker, I'd put priority on wiping royalty and nobility from the face of the map even without divine excuses.

Joosy wrote:I believe you can intentionally try to pop a Royal warlord which I surmise costs more schmuckers for upkeep and takes longer to pop. If that warlord then happens to be a caster, then you would have a Royal caster.

I've been wondering whether Jillian's heir won't be a caster, what with FAQ's tendency to cycle martial and philosophical royals, and the info we got about the site unexpectedly not having popped any casters so far.
Raza

Postby skarl » Fri May 13, 2011 8:52 am

Renion wrote:
skarl wrote:nice update! sitting in school, having an 'hour without classes' (google translate gives no translations for 'tussenuur'. ),and cheking if the new update is onine: and IT IS!

Although recess has a childlike connotation because the term is often used in K-6 education (5 to 12 year olds). The other common use for recess is in reference to courtrooms.

not really, for in a 'tussenuur' YOU don't have classes, but most OTHERS have. even people from your own year who have chosen other subjects most of the time have classes. I don't know if this actually exists in other countries, or if the schedulers are more competent in other countries.
skarl

Postby Masennus » Fri May 13, 2011 8:56 am

I am surprised that none of the casters pointed out that Ossomer could kill Slataly with a kick in the knee. Obviously they'd have to be a bit more politic than that, but still.

You don't send a target whose death is the end of your side up against a foe who could squash him with one well-placed toe, even with support, and a jetpack, and a lightscepter. It is too risky. No one cares to mention that? Or is that the subtext of what Pierce is saying?
Masennus

Postby Utoryo » Fri May 13, 2011 9:05 am

It would indeed be pretty awesome if Slately's Scepter became a Light Saber. And unlike most other possible upgrades, it should logically give a bonus to defense/dodge and not just attack - that could be very useful here.

Also I wouldn't worry about the tower collapsing just yet since Slately apparently doesn't know about Tramennis being down, so we're still at the second-to-last panel from Page 60. And even without direct orders from Tramennis, I doubt the knights would let Sylvia known down the tower without a fight as there must surely still be a warlord in the group.
Utoryo
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Fri May 13, 2011 9:57 am

A nice addition to the pile.

It does make me wonder, what's the shortest stretch of time in a webcomic that's been stretched out over a period of real time as long as this has?

skarl wrote:not really, for in a 'tussenuur' YOU don't have classes, but most OTHERS have. even people from your own year who have chosen other subjects most of the time have classes. I don't know if this actually exists in other countries, or if the schedulers are more competent in other countries.

'free period' fits this the best - it's a class period, there are classes, but not for you.

It's not a matter of competent scheduling or not. Some constraint systems can't be solved perfectly.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Beeskee » Fri May 13, 2011 10:19 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
Beeskee wrote:I was just thinking, there is so much awesome being poured into these updates, it'd be a shame if they weren't included in the book.

I've been saying that for ages.

In any case, regardless of whether or not a decent formula might be found to have a book including/alternating text and comic pages, the text updates we get are very nice and lets toast to that!

Also, you go Slately! Just look at the guy, so full of prejudice and insecurity, but desperate enough to get over those. Sweet king may Archons sing thee to thy rest.

I think my suggestion in the book thread was to offer two different versions, one with just the comics and another with the comics and text. Let the readers choose. That might get tricky regarding printing but I also think Rob should go with a US or Canada based print on demand service or small volume publisher, and they can offer a wider variety of services. I'd happily pay more.

One thing I noticed about the printed book was that the type was a little blurry on some pages, I think due to misalignment, but it makes it harder to read, and I already need huge glasses lol. I'd pay even more for a large-print hardcover. :D

And yes, Slately has grown a lot recently. From a coward who'd seen one battle in, what, 3000 turns or whatever? To someone who's ready to lead the battle and very possibly lose his life, as well as willingly turn over his kingdom to a person he formerly didn't even consider worthy of being a warlord, let alone an heir?
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby joosy » Fri May 13, 2011 10:52 am

re: Slately's Scepter speculation?

All I got right now is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e970xUrdD8s
joosy

Postby Presyncope » Fri May 13, 2011 11:05 am

This is the quintessence of text updates. No, forget it: this is the sextessence. The septessence. Lots and lots of great character detail, a second perspective on events we already knew about. Not-strictly-necessary but absolutely fantastic. Fantastic.
Presyncope

Postby badninja » Fri May 13, 2011 11:16 am

Great I had to stop reading half way through because of the GI Joe line. I feel that as this update showed that Slately is coming to an understanding to late about many things as with GK beginning its final push and that tower is going to fall. Ace is getting what he wants respect but he is still going to fall or turn to GK very soon I hope.

I cannot put my finger on it but happened to all the other side helping Jetstone in this battle? Haggar and FAQ are gone but what about everyone else? All TV has is a bat and that is soon going to be flying the coup. I still feel that Charlie has forces in the airspace but he cannot act for some reason, is turn is done? Nice update but I feel that some people in the tower are going to die very soon.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby OmegaSMP » Fri May 13, 2011 11:36 am

skarl wrote:
Renion wrote:

not really, for in a 'tussenuur' YOU don't have classes, but most OTHERS have. even people from your own year who have chosen other subjects most of the time have classes. I don't know if this actually exists in other countries, or if the schedulers are more competent in other countries.

It's called a "spare". They're free periods in your final year of highschool, while others usually have classes. This is because you do not need to take many courses in your final year to apply to university. In Canada, they look at your top 6, which means many people often only take 6 and have 1-2 "spares".
OmegaSMP

Postby Vorteks » Fri May 13, 2011 11:44 am

Beeskee wrote:
Smoker wrote:
snow1wolf wrote:I would call this the single best text update to date hands down. It really has gotten to the point you will be somewhat confused as to what is happening if you only ever read the comics.

I would looove the text updates included in the book - or at least some of them, so as not to disrupt the flow of the comic too much (text/comic/text/comic might make for a weird book) So. much. flavour. It's worth showing off in the book.

This and this.

I was just thinking, there is so much awesome being poured into these updates, it'd be a shame if they weren't included in the book.

As someone who is currently holding Issue 1 of Book 2 in his hands, I can assure you - the text updates ARE in the book. They appear on their own page side-by-side with the comic pages, in the same order they were published. The text is 2 columns. Many of them have the artwork in the middle and the text flows around it. It's very nice.
Vorteks
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Zeku » Fri May 13, 2011 12:07 pm

To those making comments about royalty as an abstract concept, I'm wondering if you understand the need for noble men in positions of great power. I also wonder if you realize that royalty always exists, regardless of what it is actually called, and regardless of whether the royals in question are virtuous.

You're free to continue to feel strong emotions about things, or defend complacency, but I suggest you start doing some reading. This is as good a place to start as any:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond-Lippmann_consensus

Notice that my intention is not to prove anything, as that page neither proves nor demonstrates anything specific. I'm simply encouraging you to develop a broader perspective on the subject.
Zeku

Postby wrecan » Fri May 13, 2011 12:25 pm

Masennus wrote:I am surprised that none of the casters pointed out that Ossomer could kill Slataly with a kick in the knee. Obviously they'd have to be a bit more politic than that, but still.

I don't think the casters are suggesting that Slately confront Ossomer. I think he's suggesting the archers and casters attack Ossomer with whatever they have, and then Ace and Lloyd on doubled unipegataurs clear a path in the sky by taking down a clutch of Archons. The Slately jet packs through that hole with Aces' jetpack, using his modified scepter to take out whatever remains.

Pierce is retorting that it won't work because even with Lloyd doubling the unipegaturs, there isn't enough power to take out a stack of archons, especially since they'll have to deplete a lot of their resources taking out Ossomer first. That's why Pierce is suggesting everybody just follow Tramennis' plan, which appears to have been that everybody regroup and then they barrel through Jetstone on ground until they get past the city walls and then flee as far they have move to flee. Those with less move will stay behind to try to stall any pursuit and those with most move will try to find a hex that provides cover. If Slately can get to another city, he can designate the new capital and prepare for the next assault.

What none of them yet know is that 1) Ossomer isn't planning to put up much resistance, and 2) Sylvia has incapacitated Tramennis and blocked the ground level exit. Once they learn that Tramennis has fallen, Ace's plan, however desperate, becomes the only plan.

Spoiler: show
I wonder if Lloyd can double the speed of the backpack. If so, Cubbins uses hat magic to access whatever assets he can scrounge from anywhere in the Kingdom to get the funds to make Tramennis an heir. They take out Ossomer with Ace, Cubbins, and whatever ground troops remain. Slately engages the archons with unipegatuars and orlies, a suicide mission, but one to keep a stack occupied. Pierce revives Tramennis after they put the pack on him. Lloyd doubles its speed, and before Tramennis even comes to consciousness, they fire the pack, shooting Tramennis farther than any GK dragon could possibly travel in a turn. Lloyd and Pierce then join in the fray, doing what they can before being croaked. Once Slately sees Tramennis has escaped, he disbands the entire city ala Queen Bea, leaving Wanda and the Decrypted, Jack Snipe and Vurp (the only non-decrypted left) on the field, maybe Hamster and Sizemore (depending on what happens in GK), and, of course, Bat*3!

They are now stranded far from GK, no teleportation circle to get them home. The rest of the story is an Odyssey-style story of Wanda, Hamster, Jack, Sizemore, and a steadily declining roster of decrypted as they travel through all the kingdoms between Jetstone and Gobwin Knob -- Haggar, Carpool, Sofa King, and others -- before Jetstone and Transylvito recover sufficiently to re-recruit FAQ and mount their counteroffensive. Along the way they have to deal with an idiot Stanley (unable to help directly because Maggie is incapacitated by backlash from Stanley snapping out of the suggestion), a Machiavellian Charlie, and various factions of the Magic Kingdom.)
wrecan

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions