Book 2 – Page 61

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 61

Postby drachefly » Tue May 17, 2011 2:10 pm

name lips wrote:But we have had plenty of HINTS that Charlie also knows something of Parson's plans. He warned Jillian that Parson had a way to win the fight in Spacerock, which means he must have been eavesdropping on Maggie's thinkagram.

Somehow, Wanda and Jack knew to go to the portal room and wait. This was not arranged in advance. Based on whatever information they had to determine that, Charlie could figure it out.
drachefly

Postby DoctorJest » Tue May 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Emmerson Grant wrote:I'm thinking Ol' George is there to capture Parson. Perhaps that's a Hold Parson scroll?

Or maybe it's to make an alliance with Parson. A "Charm Parson" scroll, as it were.
DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Tue May 17, 2011 2:17 pm

drachefly wrote:Somehow, Wanda and Jack knew to go to the portal room and wait. This was not arranged in advance.

I'm pretty sure it was in Parson's briefing to Wanda
DoctorJest

Postby Beeskee » Tue May 17, 2011 2:18 pm

I figured it out, it's a copy of Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion that he got from OOTS! Run faster, Parson!
Beeskee

Postby kreszantas » Tue May 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Wren wrote:
Here's my epileptic twee of the day

Epic twee you mean. Very impressive. Until I started reading the previous two pages of posts, I wasn't even aware of the existence of most of the characters for whom you've concocted extremely believable motivations.

I am constantly amazed by the depth of analysis that occurs on these forums; but what is really incredible is that Rob can work under such scrutiny! As a writer I would find it paralyzing to try to stay one step ahead of the intense speculation of erfworld fans. All I can say is, bravo all around!

Even with the twee as stated in your prior post, there is the issue of Fate magic. Wanda has already stated this plan will work. Tremmenis tempted the Titan's. The GMTTA have committed to the preservation of Parson due to their greater threat Charlie. So this "tunnel running caster" is needed to initiate the "cause" for the Benny Hill music to be playing. So again, when we figured out what Fate has put in motion then we will know... who is on first. (which is one gag I have yet to see happen yet)

For when something needs to be fixed everything associated to it needs to be broken for it to be properly repaired. This is the point Janis missed.
Huh? What was that sound, oh nevermind it was nothing.
kreszantas

Postby haviel » Tue May 17, 2011 3:08 pm

Its certainly Jeftichew, Check out this article of Fedor Jeftichew http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedor_Jeftichew. The face and outfit give's it way.

I love how this was set up. Page 57 panel 9 you see him watching Sizemore stating he's on an errand and its fairly urgent. Panel 13 you see him watch Sizemore head toward the portal. Then on page 60 you see him on panels 4-7. Its not clear at this point that he's working for anyone but if Vanna is working for Charlie then Jeftichew is certainly another option as well. I would bet that he has a Shockamancy Scroll.

Can't wait to see if parson can even fight back!
haviel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby wrecan » Tue May 17, 2011 3:18 pm

Gathrun wrote:There doesn't need to be an informant in the Great Minds or Charlie to have broken the code for him to know what's going on. The Great Minds use a code, because they are suspicious that Charlie can monitor normal thinkigrams. We don't know how detailed it was, but Parson relayed the battle plan to Wanda through a normal thinkigram.

Absolutely right. It was in Comic 38 we see Parson giving Wanda the plan, which likely included him coming through the portal (as Wanda did know to secure the portal). That's, not coincidentally, the same strip that showed Charlie placing Jillian and Tramennis on hold because of "another call".

And it would be at that point that Charlie would have contacted Jeftichew to be ready at Portal Park (if Jeftichew is working with Charlie).
wrecan

Postby ryanroyce » Tue May 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Don't forget the Christmas Tree of magic items that Parson is carrying. Any one of them could thwart Jef's scroll, or at least make it not work as expected. In particular, the "power off" cloak clasp could be some sort of personal anti-magic field or spell resistance charm.
ryanroyce
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Jeivar » Tue May 17, 2011 3:23 pm

Wait, who the heck is "Jeftichew" and when was he mentioned? I don't remember the name.
Jeivar

Postby Swodaems » Tue May 17, 2011 3:42 pm

Jeivar wrote:Wait, who the heck is "Jeftichew" and when was he mentioned? I don't remember the name.

His name comes from the Summer 2009 update in which the destruction of the side of Unaroyal occurs.

Long story short:
He is a Carnymancer.
The old Queen of the side that used to employ him commited suicide after coming to the conclusion that Gobwin Knob would inevitably destroy her side.
Before doing so, she sent all of her casters to the magic kingdom with orders to only work for Royal sides.
The name references a particularly hairy carnival sideshow freak.

Everything else about him is spec.
Swodaems

Postby Squall83 » Tue May 17, 2011 3:49 pm

Oh my god oh my god. So.....many....questions. What's in that scroll? What are that guys intentions? Since he wants to protect Parson there has to be a reason why he chases him, i.e. some trouble Parson will run into - either during is run or after going through that other portal. This is one of the very few moments where I just can't wait how the story will go and I really hope that the text update will be about the same setting and not something about Jillian, Tramennis/Slately, Stanley, Caesar/Don, Charlie (omg there are so many plots there) or like "how bat No. 3 feels while watching the battle".

edit: Ok, if it's Jeftichew he's not from the great minds but an enemy. ^^ well, I hope Parson can do it with the help of the Great Minds.

Also now that Parson is chased we can truly cue the Benny Hill music. :lol:
Squall83

Postby Sieggy » Tue May 17, 2011 4:15 pm

I don't think it's an assassination attempt on Parson, or he wouldn't be chasing him down the tunnel. He would have descended to the bottom, broken out the scroll, and cut loose. If he's in pursuit, it's either to make some form of contact (for good or ill), or to follow him through into the JS portal. However, there are three casters standing there who might have something to say about that, and one swings a really nasty shovel . . .
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby abb3w » Tue May 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Masennus wrote:
SteveMB wrote:Parson is a one of a kind. Casters aren't. Breaking whatever rules have prevented casters from using the MK as a military staging ground until now (whether it's something in the world's mechanics or tradition enforced by the Powers That Be in the MK) thus has a much bigger effect on the system as a whole.

That seems to be what Janis is thinking. My point is that she is shortsighted for thinking there's a difference. Or blind because she has given Parson godlike status in her mind.

Whatever her reason, she is an idiot.

You see two people running to do the same thing. Both are using a new backdoor in defenses that has heretofore been sacred. Parson going himself is ok. Parson taking two people through (as Janis interprets what she sees) is unconscionable?

One rule breaker or two, the rule is broken. Does Janis really think the world at large will bother with the distinction between Parson and a "regular caster"? I cannot imagine why they would.

Parson is a smaller can of worms, that potentially can be eliminated with relative ease: simply kill him.
Regular casters using the trick represent a much larger can.

On the other hand, this scenario is a bit unusual. Taking the portal chamber for a capital in advance of arrival is not an easy thing to do; you have to fight your way into the heart of enemy territory, get past the walls, and then deep into the city. From the other direction, having a modest garrison force could insure that any hostile caster that attempts such arrival from the Magic Kingdom would meet a hot welcome. Of course, this could possibly be countered by a force consisting of more than one caster; possibly a Thinkamancy-linked Lookamancer-Turnamancer combo (find and turn as many as possible), or perhaps an assorted group with a large supply of scrolls. This, however, gets expensive; Casters are seriously valuable troops. Any side that got rich and powerful enough to start deploying casters as infantry could probably win by more conventional means. About the only use would be for finding bubble kingdoms, and possibly giving Charlie a brief but major headache (until he upgrades his murderous defenses to include defending his capital's portal).

Unless, of course, you can also send a warlord.
abb3w

Postby GaryThunder » Tue May 17, 2011 4:49 pm

I'll say only this:

I find the idea that Parson Gotti, Lord Hamster, Chief Warlord of Gobwin Knob has neglected to consider and plan for the possibility of a caster following him into the tunnel to be simply laughable.
GaryThunder

Postby Jinren » Tue May 17, 2011 5:36 pm

abb3w wrote:possibly giving Charlie a brief but major headache (until he upgrades his murderous defenses to include defending his capital's portal).

I'd be very surprised if Charlie hasn't long since walled off his portal room with a mechanism that only allows casters through when they're invited. He's one of the few characters who gives the impression that he would have thought of that already; conventions or no conventions, it's a short route into Charlescomm, and that's just not acceptable.
Jinren

Postby wrecan » Tue May 17, 2011 5:52 pm

GaryThunder wrote:I find the idea that Parson Gotti, Lord Hamster, Chief Warlord of Gobwin Knob has neglected to consider and plan for the possibility of a caster following him into the tunnel to be simply laughable.

He did anticipate the possibility. That's why he started off running. I doubt that Jeftichew will enter Jetstone, unless he first establishes a friendship with Parson (which I find unlikely).
wrecan

Postby DevilDan » Tue May 17, 2011 5:58 pm

Somehow this mancer with a beef against Parson found out what Charlie (and many other casters) could not?
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Stuv » Tue May 17, 2011 6:00 pm

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.

This!
+1
Stuv

Postby wrecan » Tue May 17, 2011 6:01 pm

The only problem with the idea that the chasing caster is Jeftichew is that Jeftichew has been mentioned only in Text Updates and I think Balder doesn't like to make those necessary to enjoying the story. So I expect that whatever the caster has planned, his motivations will be quick. He'll cast the scroll, and say something short and semi-cryptic to let us know why he's doing it. If he attacks Parson he might shout "For Unaroyal!" If he tries to turn Parson, he might say "A gift from Charlie and my sister Vanna." If he is going to steal the bracer, he might simply cast the scroll and then we see the Arkendish and Charlie confirming receipt of the "package" and deposit of the payment in Jeftichew's account.

But if your speculation requires us to know a lot about this caster's background, this seems unlikely, at least in the short term.
wrecan

Postby ftl » Tue May 17, 2011 7:18 pm

GaryThunder wrote:I'll say only this:

I find the idea that Parson Gotti, Lord Hamster, Chief Warlord of Gobwin Knob has neglected to consider and plan for the possibility of a caster following him into the tunnel to be simply laughable.

Well, he might have neglected to consider and plan for the possibility that there would be someone expecting him there. If he was going to rely on the element of surprise - fall through the tunnel, run to the other end, run in before the casters have time to do anything - he could be caught off-guard by a caster who was standing by the portal, expecting his arrival, and with the perfect scroll for the occasion already in his hands.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions