Book 2 – Page 62

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 62

Postby DunkelMentat » Wed May 25, 2011 10:21 pm

"Yeah man, it's cool." is maybe my favorite Erfworld quote ever. It's all about the context.
DunkelMentat

Postby mblackadder » Wed May 25, 2011 10:23 pm

Jojo is smiling to much, literature, film and tv history has taught me to distrust people who smile all the time. Either they either outright villains or such dicks as to make no difference.
No ones smiles that much unless they are up to things nefarious!
mblackadder
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:35 pm

Has anyone wondered if maybe Charlie is the leader of the "free will" faction? What makes me wonder is Jefftichew's (is it two f's or just 1?) last line about the "individual" - that doesn't sound very TGMTTA-ish.

Anyway, kudos to Rob for stepping up the pace of updates as the drama picks up. :D
WaterMonkey314

Postby Ambug666 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:41 pm

Chance Gardener wrote:I'm wondering if the color background swirl when Parson drew his sword (reminds me of the ceiling of the Union Terminal somewhat) was the Carnymancer's spell taking effect ...

I think you're right, especially since he accented the word "now" two panels previous. I think that's part of the spell.

Further, I'm more convinced than ever that he was sent by Charlie as another recruiting attempt.
Ambug666

Postby Saladman » Wed May 25, 2011 10:48 pm

WaterMonkey314 wrote:Has anyone wondered if maybe Charlie is the leader of the "free will" faction? What makes me wonder is Jefftichew's (is it two f's or just 1?) last line about the "individual" - that doesn't sound very TGMTTA-ish.

Anyway, kudos to Rob for stepping up the pace of updates as the drama picks up. :D

Um, no (to the question anyway; ditto on the kudos). Not considering what we know of archons - they love and worship an overlord they've never seen, who is just coincidentally attuned to a thinkamancy artifact, and who hires them out for "full service" for the right price. I'm guessing he's not too big on free will.
Saladman
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:57 pm

Saladman wrote:
WaterMonkey314 wrote:Has anyone wondered if maybe Charlie is the leader of the "free will" faction? What makes me wonder is Jefftichew's (is it two f's or just 1?) last line about the "individual" - that doesn't sound very TGMTTA-ish.

Um, no (to the question anyway; ditto on the kudos). Not considering what we know of archons - they love and worship an overlord they've never seen, who is just coincidentally attuned to a thinkamancy artifact, and who hires them out for "full service" for the right price. I'm guessing he's not too big on free will.

That's true - I was thinking in terms of the GMTTA-Charlie conflict. Just a random thought. :P
WaterMonkey314

Postby Saladman » Wed May 25, 2011 11:07 pm

Goshen wrote:Wouldn't it be a bummer for Jefchew if he risked his life and used the scroll to free Parson from the bonds of loyalty to GK only to find that Parson is already acting on his own free will. Something very similar happened with Jillian and Wanda way back in book one.

This could be it. GK is the only side Parson is familiar with, and that he has friends in.

Though that's if the scroll does only what Jeftichew is hinting at and dispels any loyalty spell. Turnamancy is a reasonable guess if there's more up his sleeve.

Now I'm starting to talk myself around to turnamancy actually. A simple dispel of a loyalty spell is likely Thinkamancy also. But Jeftichew and Charlie both know a certain turnamancer from the same fallen kingdom as J. So Jeftichew could have gotten a turnamancy scroll either directly (with the idea of breaking an asset away from GK) or through Charlie (still looking to acquire a smart warlord and his artifact).

Aside from pure speculation, I don't see any positive reason to think its a straight up unsummoning attempt as people have suggested. Charlie might possibly try that if he's decided Parson is dangerous enough (he apparently has, from the conversation with Tramennis) and has given up on recruiting him or his artifact bracer (less likely). And even to try breaking a 3-caster link's summons might take more than just a one-caster scroll.

The "Jeftichew, working for Charlie" people are half right already, I'm betting they get the other half also.
Saladman

Postby badninja » Wed May 25, 2011 11:15 pm

Why do I get a feeling that this caster should not be trusted. Several people seem to agree with me but why are some people so happy to think that he will side with Parson? The whole free will vs fate argument sounds something that Charlie would come up with as only he would know what would get Parsons attention. Nice update now what else does rob have planned for us?
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Radagast » Wed May 25, 2011 11:21 pm

On another note, Parson's Hamstard crest is back. And the pizza stains too.
Radagast

Postby Grimnir » Wed May 25, 2011 11:32 pm

That jackass better have a damn good reason for slowing down Parson. I'm hoping Parson murders him now.
Last edited by Grimnir on Wed May 25, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grimnir

Postby Balerion » Wed May 25, 2011 11:32 pm

I don't see that this conversation has shown him coming from Charlie. One, his information came from a "they", not "he". Given the small pool of candidates for a "they", that makes the GMTTA more likely as a source than Charlie, though i still don't think that is likely. He also seems to have an agenda of his own; given Charlie just had a master plan fall apart because of Jillian acting on her own agenda, I don't see him being eager to put another piece like that into the mix.

Of course, there is no where near enough info to be definitive, but I do think the odds of Charlie being behind this are low.
Balerion

Postby mcw0933 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:35 pm

Panel 11, Jeftichew's left epaulet - coloring error?
</picky>
Yes. That is a rocket-propelled bulldozer of love.
mcw0933
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby The Shadow » Wed May 25, 2011 11:49 pm

My jaw is still dropped! This one came completely out of left field.

I don't think Jeftichew is working for Charlie, at least directly - mainly because he can't, he pledged not to.

I think he must belong to a new faction we're only just learning about - one opposed to Marie's attempt to 'break the world', and apparently opposed to the whole idea of Fate in the first place. Which, if true, makes this arc suddenly a whole HELL of a lot more interesting!

The Un-Summon is a possibility, but that's a little too obvious - a temptation scenario which Parson will, of course, decline. Dispelling of Parson's Duty to Stanley - that would be much more interesting! But no doubt Rob will come up with something else nobody has thought of.
The Shadow

Postby Lightbender » Thu May 26, 2011 12:14 am

Okay so.......

Jeftichew is now tied for my favorite character, with Jack.
Lightbender

Postby the_tick_rules » Thu May 26, 2011 12:20 am

i would have expected his speech from a rhyme-o-mancer. i guess sanity is in short supply amongst casters.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby Kichirou » Thu May 26, 2011 12:21 am

He could be working for Charlie, albeit indirectly. He could be working for Faq. Jillian is a Royal and has been working with Charlie a lot ever since she got the side started.
Kichirou

Postby jja » Thu May 26, 2011 12:21 am

Is it just my imagination, or is the scroll getting smaller from the first panel to the last?

If it's not a slip of the eye or pen, perhaps Jeffty is already casting the spell and the philosophic discourse is just meant to distract Parson until it's too late.

On the other hand, perhaps Jeffty is five.
This sentence is a verbal virus; copy it to your signature.
jja

Postby paint » Thu May 26, 2011 12:26 am

ohh and a wrench is tossed into the coggs
paint

Postby gameboy1234 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:27 am

Jinren wrote:
gameboy1234 wrote:And, judging by the way Charlie controls his Archons, Charlie too.

Does that exclude taking his money if his money is good? Because I'm at a loss for who else could be employing him; it's certainly not the RCC2. And his comments do indicate that he's been contracted for a specific task.

OK, page three, time for Predictamancy. I think...
Spoiler: show
...Charlie hired, or at least tipped off, Jeftichew and probably gave him the scroll too. But! I think Jeftichew is there for himself. He took Charlie's info, but he's trying to figure out for himself what he's going to do with it. He might carry out Charlie's bidding and use the scroll, but he might also decide to let Parson go.

I think his questions are not intended to tie Parson down. Jeftichew could have cast that spell any time at Parson's fleeing back. I think Jeftichew is honestly trying to figure Parson out. Jeftichew is still trying to figure out which side he's going to pick.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Gertlex » Thu May 26, 2011 12:30 am

mcw0933 wrote:Panel 11, Jeftichew's left epaulet - coloring error?
</picky>

Aww beat me to it :)

ALSO: Panel 9 and 10 compare. One he has the silver ring on his sleeve, the other he doesn't. Also panel 12.

My imagined voice for Jeftichew was that of a carnival guy even before he said carnymancer. Excellent attention to detail/style :)
Last edited by Gertlex on Thu May 26, 2011 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gertlex
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions