Book 2 – Text Updates 050

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 050

Postby Krennson » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:06 pm

Aquillion wrote:
Oberon wrote:
Aquillion wrote:And Parson's level doesn't matter. It's his brain that matters, and that won't get better as he gains experience.
I think you meant that in the Erfworld sense of experience/levels, but I want to confirm. Because if you meant that Parson wouldn't get better as he gains experience in the traditional sense, I'd beg to differ. Stupidworld doesn't have levels, but there is a huge grey area surrounding the concepts of Stupidworld experience improving a person and Erfworld levels improving a person.
What I mean is, sure, he'll do slightly more damage when he hits stuff. So what? His team has thousands of people who can hit stuff. The things that make him important won't improve with level, and his time would be better spent studying tactics or Erfworld rules -- focusing on the things only he can do rather than things that any Twoll can do.

yeah, but his level directly improves the combat abilities for every one of his minions. that matters, although not as much as his crazy strategies matter.
Krennson

Postby Tensor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:19 pm

Not a fan of the list of dog food names. It's uninspiring, now unlike how servers are named just because you have a list of similar things.
Tensor

Postby badninja » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:21 pm

Holy shit, is some fan favorite, Silvia, about to face a difficult battle or will Parson's arrival give her the ability to overcome this challenge? rob wow this update was well worth the wait and I can see why it took so long. This new warlord gives me the creeps she predicted Parson's plan and why do I think she will be like how Silvia was in book 1. Good update overall now what is going to happen next?
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby djones520 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:37 pm

Amazing update. That is all.
djones520

Postby Sir_Rigwald » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:41 pm

soupy wrote:Anyone else notice the Baldur's Gate 2 default female portrait reference in the image? Or is it just my imagination?

http://images.iml.pl/crpg/bg1/npc/shar-teel.jpg

It's not just you.
Sir_Rigwald

Postby paint » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:51 pm

oh boy, there dog food .......
paint

Postby AL_Lagarto » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:55 pm

If Gobwin Knob 'inherits' the production of a royal heir, Parson might have quite the job convincing Stanley not to disband an unwanted heir.
AL_Lagarto

Postby Guppy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:07 am

Her trick was an epic feat...of sheer disaster. Prince Ansom's eye healed on the start of the next turn, of course. But the damage was done.

The Countess, it seemed, had also had too much wine.

Can you imagine how recent Erfworld histowy would have been different if she had nailed that shot? Artemis was Jillian before Jillian -- exactly the kind of girl Prince Ansom likes.
Guppy

Postby fjolnir » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:14 am

I like the dog food reference, it cements 2 things about her character it draws a parallel with the huntress (who possessed hounds) and she has been in the metaphorical "dog house" since she accidentally blinded Ansom in a poorly thought out demonstration of skill.
fjolnir

Postby Beeskee » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:20 am

She might also end up becoming "dog food" in the upcoming fight. :/
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Pointyleaf » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:58 am

Does anyone understand this?

Four hundred seventy-six turns ago, the Level 5 Countess of Firestone formally hosted the new heir to the throne of Jetstone, Prince Ansom.

"Yes, you leveled," said Ansom, knitting his brow. "It caught my attention."
"I did," said Artemis, allowing herself a grin that was more satisfaction than seduction, "from six to seven, by training alone. I've trained up Knights, as well."

Was she a level 5, or a level 7?
Pointyleaf

Postby Masennus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:00 am

Do you think Artemis' face is hidden on purpose? Is she a throwaway character (like Wrigley)?

The Baldur's Gate face is almost certainly Purina. I thought she had the bow in her hand at first, but a closer look indicates that she is carrying a large sword, and the bow belongs to the lady in the winged helmet to the right side of the frame.
Masennus

Postby charles » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:07 am

I don't know about the death of Sylvia, but I think we might at least see the combat begin. They really need to stop the destruction of the tower but also open the way up for Trem to be brought to Pierce for healing and the retrieval of the king.

Interesting to note that she thinks they'll all croak of Slately croaks. I thought they would become neutral and then fight ad-hoc. But then Gobwin Knob would effectively have captured the city and own all units in it if they capture the tower together with the courtyard and dungeon they already hold. Their previous record on captured units seems to be croak and decrypt so I guess thats covers it all.

On the training. I like the suggestion of an earlier poster that Artemis' training involved beating up her knights and maybe being beaten up by them. Explains her punching Ansom and also fits with her likely taking her frustration at managing a city out on the troops.

I don't know if every unit would take 600 turns to level. I'm guessing it took her that long as a combination of the fact she was leveling from 6 to 7 (a fairly high level) and that she was probably spending a good deal of the turn managing the city.

It may well be that you can level faster if you're able to dedicate an entire turn to training, each turn. Or maybe the training is a base indication of how much exp is required to level. So if she was level 3, it would have taken 300 turns of training and likely 700 turns of training to get from 7 to 8 if thats the only way she could get exp. I'm curious to know how long it takes to train a unit for an upgrade like knighthood as opposed to just a level upgrade. I get the impression that a warlord is required to train regular units, or maybe they level/upgrade faster from training if a warlord is conducting the training.
charles
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby M.A.D » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:27 am

ftl wrote:Artemis doesn't seem that formidable to me. Sylvia can survive this.

If Jetstone's hopes are on random level 8 warlords blindly charging into battle, that's not a good sign.

She wasn't blindly charging in. Stacking for stealth means an assassination mission, by means of sniping, if we go by her skill, and this time she isn't drunk
M.A.D

Postby The.Healing.Mage » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:35 am

Pointyleaf wrote:Does anyone understand this?

Four hundred seventy-six turns ago, the Level 5 Countess of Firestone formally hosted the new heir to the throne of Jetstone, Prince Ansom.

"Yes, you leveled," said Ansom, knitting his brow. "It caught my attention."
"I did," said Artemis, allowing herself a grin that was more satisfaction than seduction, "from six to seven, by training alone. I've trained up Knights, as well."

Was she a level 5, or a level 7?

This bugged me too, but I figure it's just an error of the "ohgodwhyamIupsolate" variety. It didn't seem to matter to the story a huge amount, as the bolded flashbacks show a progression over time to where she is now, and the level isn't that important per se. It is interesting that she may have been higher level than Ansom at the time. What sort of relationship does that foster? Would she be considered a sort of Obi-Wan mentor figure?
The.Healing.Mage

Postby Dr Pepper » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:52 am

Oberon wrote:Tense error. She took a singlular Knight with her (it was a traditional stack of 8: She, 6 soldiers, and a Knight). She nocked and loosed before her plural Knights could even see the target.

Word error. "Tense" refers to the time attribute of a verb. She "took" a knight and six soldiers, that's a verb in the past tense, and it is correct. Having a noun be either singular or plural, as in "knight" or "knights" is called "Number". And that's only an error if she didn't manage to promote at least one more fighter during the march. "You're right on the edge-- now get that blooping squirrel!"
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Dr Pepper » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:09 am

Aquillion wrote:
Oberon wrote:
Aquillion wrote:And Parson's level doesn't matter. It's his brain that matters, and that won't get better as he gains experience.
I think you meant that in the Erfworld sense of experience/levels, but I want to confirm. Because if you meant that Parson wouldn't get better as he gains experience in the traditional sense, I'd beg to differ. Stupidworld doesn't have levels, but there is a huge grey area surrounding the concepts of Stupidworld experience improving a person and Erfworld levels improving a person.
What I mean is, sure, he'll do slightly more damage when he hits stuff. So what? His team has thousands of people who can hit stuff. The things that make him important won't improve with level, and his time would be better spent studying tactics or Erfworld rules -- focusing on the things only he can do rather than things that any Twoll can do.

Well if i were in Parson's place i'd cetainly be interested in acquiring more hitpoints.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Dr Pepper

Postby balder » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:14 am

Both things that have been pointed out here were errors. And rushing to post was the reason for both. Fixing them now, thanks.
balder

Postby Dr Pepper » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:18 am

No prob. I try to proofread every i do twice. Or three times if it's more than a few pages long. And i still don't always catch everything.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Dr Pepper

Postby Renion » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:25 am

balder wrote:Both things that have been pointed out here were errors. And rushing to post was the reason for both. Fixing them now, thanks.

While we're on the subject, it looks like Sylvia and Duke Antium switched places accidently. Pretty sure she's meant to be in the portal room while Duke Antium's leading the strike on the tower.... :mrgreen:

Spoiler: show
Fairwell Red. :(
Renion
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions