Book 2 – Text Updates 050

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 050

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:14 am

gazes_also wrote:My opinion of Trem has gone down a bit, not just for getting himself incapacitated AGAIN, but for not recognizing the capabilities of those around him. You would think as a passed over and ignored non-heir royal he would have an appreciation for others whose abilities didn't fit with the Jetstone mold, like Ace or Artemis, and engage the loyalty of these misfits. You would think he could see the value their originality. But no. Seems the apple didn't fall that far from the tree after all.

I disag-

wait what am I doing?! There's no reason I should be defending Trem, supposedly I hate the guy; guess I have a soft spot for incompetent characters :P I'll leave the task of explaining his actions to his fans.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Occasional Sage » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:47 am

BakaGrappler wrote:Since Rob went to the effort to give us an awesome name, a complete physical description, a history complete with achievements, and a woman with intelligence, I am sincerely hoping she does not Croak. Should Jetstone remain an enemy of GK, I'm hoping she'll become the new right hand man to replace Antiem, who's been TWARTed. Minerva and Sylvia may even become rivals. Nothing better than a catfight with swords and the like.

I'm confused. Are you suggesting that "a woman with intelligence" is odd to see in Erfworld? That's how the sentence reads to me, which is blatantly incorrect.

Also: Minerva? Her parallel is Athena, not Artemis.

Aquillion wrote:Do remember that the text updates are "extras." That is, they're not necessary for the main story.

Or, more bluntly, if a character gets a huge amount of detail in a text update, that's information that isn't going to be important in the main story. Doesn't mean that the attack she's planning won't be important in the short term, but there have been a lot of other characters who got heavy focus in a text update and then either died or faded into the background immediately afterwards.

The characters aren't, but the updates themselves are important to our understanding of the story being told. I don't see the text updates as throwaways at all.
Avatar courtesy of Dr. Bath of GitP!
Occasional Sage

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:06 pm

To be precise, Artemis' roman name is Diana. Princess of Hearts, anyone?
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:11 pm

Pooga wrote:Trammenis = Tremendous
Missed the last one actually. The other two I got though. And don't forget Jillian zamuslces. (Jillions of muscles)

Tram clearly can't be faulted for not scouting. The king is at the top of the tower. He is the one who can scout. He doesn't have time to screw around with messages, as far as he knows at any second Wanda could waltz up and croak the king, and all casters. Or the dwagons could start smashing the tower. Yes it wasn't a great choice, but it was the best choice.

Also on the concept of training. It apparently takes time. Not turns, but time since Ansom wondered about her lack of sleep. Therefore if one could get more time they could get more XP. And one can get time by dwagon relay's (see Ansom complaining about long turn days.) Therefore to maximize training one could set up a training relay giving one many, many days a turn. Then we could easily could have high level units running around with minimal combat risk. Also I wonder if you could train specials, casting springs to mind.
BLANDCorporatio wrote:To be precise, Artemis' roman name is Diana. Princess of Hearts, anyone?
Yeah the card motif is growing.
Lamech

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:17 pm

Lamech wrote:Also I wonder if you could train specials, casting springs to mind.

Yeah, this is one time where it'd be nice to find out that Sylvia conveniently minored in Luckamancy or something like that.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Beeskee » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:07 pm

abb3w wrote:There's the distinct suggestion that someone's made a "dog's breakfast" of this battle.

It is one big mass mess.

---

Tram made a mistake but he isn't an idiot for doing so. Yes, he should have known the purples were there, via scouts and damn well paying attention to his surroundings on the battlefield. (He couldn't see them personally, but someone under his command should have.) If he knew they were there and was hoping to slip past, then he just got unlucky. Risky moves don't always pay off.
Beeskee

Postby Decorus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:48 pm

Why is it that everytime I see a new character I think man that person is wasted in Jetstone, Parson could totally kick more ass with that person in his command.
Decorus

Postby Renion » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:00 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:I wonder how the Parson/Sylvia shippers will react to this turn of events though.

That makes no sense. Please tell me your joking about people wanting them to hook up.

BLANDCorporatio wrote:While I sympathize with your intentions, NO. Sylvia's whole shtick is to face the biggest dangers. Keeping her locked up in a cushy safe haven is not her style.

Yeah, and if she bites it this will be a good character death for a mauve shirt like Sylvia. Though I was hoping she'd become a Wedge Antilles improbable survivor. Ah well, there's more than one dark horse in the cast.
Renion
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby joosy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:08 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
Lamech wrote:Also I wonder if you could train specials, casting springs to mind.

Yeah, this is one time where it'd be nice to find out that Sylvia conveniently minored in Luckamancy or something like that.

No such luck. Mwahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa...

I can only refer you to this poem inspired by Sylvia's namesake:

http://www.sylviaplathforum.com/forum-poems/44.html
Last edited by joosy on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joosy

Postby joosy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Beeskee wrote:
abb3w wrote:There's the distinct suggestion that someone's made a "dog's breakfast" of this battle.

It is one big mass mess.

---

Tram made a mistake but he isn't an idiot for doing so. Yes, he should have known the purples were there, via scouts and damn well paying attention to his surroundings on the battlefield. (He couldn't see them personally, but someone under his command should have.) If he knew they were there and was hoping to slip past, then he just got unlucky. Risky moves don't always pay off.

Also the plan was to have Slately down and headed out of the city by now. Trem had to change plans because of Slately's disobeyance.
joosy

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:18 pm

Renion wrote:
BLANDCorporatio wrote:I wonder how the Parson/Sylvia shippers will react to this turn of events though.

That makes no sense. Please tell me your joking about people wanting them to hook up.

I wish. They do exist in fact.

Renion wrote:
BLANDCorporatio wrote:While I sympathize with your intentions, NO. Sylvia's whole shtick is to face the biggest dangers. Keeping her locked up in a cushy safe haven is not her style.

Yeah, and if she bites it this will be a good character death for a mauve shirt like Sylvia. Though I was hoping she'd become a Wedge Antilles improbable survivor. Ah well, there's more than one dark horse in the cast.

Same feeling here, I'd like her run of improbable survivals to continue. Thing is, a lot of the interesting characters just won't die. Sylvia is the one who plausibly is in danger. Now, of course let's not count Sylvia out just yet, pace joosy :)
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Beeskee » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:19 pm

joosy wrote:Also the plan was to have Slately down and headed out of the city by now. Trem had to change plans because of Slately's disobeyance.

Yeah, and even Slately is trying to take out those flyers for the bonus so he can make Tram heir. So no idiot ball there either, just a shot at a tactic that didn't work out due to the siege attack. Lots of folks get accused of being idiots tho. They may make bad decisions, or risky moves that don't work out, but I don't think any of these folks are really stupid, nevermind that a stupid character really wouldn't survive in Erfworld.

Decorus wrote:Why is it that everytime I see a new character I think man that person is wasted in Jetstone, Parson could totally kick more ass with that person in his command.

Same here, all the characters are just too awesome, I want them all to survive and end up on Parson's team. :D Parson could already take over the world with the team he has now, more folks would just let him play around and get REALLY creative.
Beeskee

Postby John Campbell » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:22 pm

oslecamo2_temp wrote:Seriously, the purples were in plain sight for everybody to see. What did he expect the enemy to do with them? Start a dance contest?

Nah. Dwagons aren't the best for dance-fighting. A Dance with Dwagons just takes too long to do.
John Campbell

Postby just2quixotic » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:26 pm

Dr Pepper wrote:BTW, thanks for nocking and loosing. I hate it when people "fire" their bows in worlds without guns.

Also: Heh, war pigeons. "Sir, the enemy is sending a cloud of bats straight at us!" "No problem, soldier, dump out the wagonload of walnuts!"

War pigeons struck me as well. Dove of Peace, Pigeon of War...
just2quixotic

Postby Renion » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:54 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
I wish. They do exist in fact.

They haven't even spoken to each other. Where the boop do people come up with this stuff?
Renion
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:56 pm

Just you wait, I'll have links to show what it is.

Searching ...

EDIT:

Here's a thread starter. The OP is relevant. Now, me calling BakkaGrappler a P/S shipper is my usual brand of hyperbole, but as you can see the premises are there.

There was another more overt one from a different poster, but that was ages ago and I won't go looking for that.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Renion » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:08 pm

So it's pretty much just you and one other guy.

Anyway, looking forward to the next comic for many, many reasons now.
Last edited by Renion on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Renion
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Beeskee » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:08 pm

If there is no real update for a week, I will write an erotic Sylvia/Artemis fanfic and post it here.

Just because. :D

(No, I hadn't thought of it before this thread, actually.)
Beeskee

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:17 pm

Renion wrote:So it's pretty much just you and one other guy.

Anyway, looking forward to the next comic for many, many reasons now.

:lol: But person, you are mistaken. I have no ships that I supp-

Beeskee wrote:If there is no real update for a week, I will write an erotic Sylvia/Artemis fanfic and post it here.

wait, there's one!
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby holy_dwead » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:34 pm

I wonder who the "voices at Court" were that got Artemis put to pasture? Perhaps the lucky Forthewin had many loves, and two or more them were jealous of Artemis?

Also, I have no confidence in Artemis' band of knights. You can't foreshadow any more clearly than by naming these redshirts after dog food.
holy_dwead

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions