Book 2 – Page 63

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 63

Postby the_tick_rules » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:42 am

alot of things could happen, jojo lets him go, they fight, all kinds of stuff.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby Ansan Gotti » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:56 am

I'm guessing Parson offers to hire Jojo, to add the various Duties and obligations upon him. If Jojo says no, Parson says see ya and by the way your scroll is a ruse, and in desperation Jojo agrees to be hired.
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Avens » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Occasional Sage wrote:Except you know that's not what happened if you actually, oh I dunno, READ the story you're paraphrasing, right? But even if it WAS an accurate recount, with their instory knowledge it wouldn't have been as bad a decision.

God, Gen. 3:22 wrote:The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil.

Take as you will.

Also, if Parson is a Wild Card, does that mean the spell might place him back inside the deck, and if so, do we know who the dealer might be who holds the cards?

Personally, I'd tell Jojo to toss the scroll, step back, let it fall, and then run through the portal.
Avens

Postby DevilDan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Beatles reference

Am in love with this comic even more today.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby drachefly » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:27 pm

That's not a scroll of Get Back, that's a scroll of Summon Female Egret!
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lonk the Sane » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:28 pm

Parson has already said no to the deal - in panel 9. Anything after that is just him indulging his curiosity.

I mean, seriously! Would you trust a guy like Jojo for anything? I wouldn't let him park my car.
Lonk the Sane

Postby Sojiko » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:37 pm

Interesting, the most prevalent supposition happened to be correct. I was not expecting that.

On the other hand, this is only what he says it is. So we'll have to wait and see, notably for Parson's reaction. My guess is that he feels way too much responsibility toward those in Spacerock to abandon them now, he wouldn't be using a risked gamble just to have a chance to risk his life for them if he didn't.
Sojiko

Postby Zeku » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:56 pm

God, Gen. 3:22 wrote:The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil.

Take as you will.

I used this example so that I could prove my point through other people's own words. Read again, this time more carefully.

4 “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

>You will not die
>Your eyes will be opened
>You will be like God (not like "us", which is what god said: a more general term, meaning characteristics we share, like insight, and not the characteristics of god specifically)

Three lies in a row, and only the last bit at the end was confirmed by god. Notice that the people in this thread used the same strategy as satan: they stated a partial truth, but not a complete one: either by omitting information, or adding it.

Big digression here, but the point is that people will delude themselves so completely that you can't even reason with them anymore. All of the rules of reasoning that people use are based entirely upon their desire to justify themselves, and never on the desire to discover what is accurate.
Last edited by Zeku on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeku

Postby kouhoutek » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:58 pm

oslecamo2_temp wrote:
kouhoutek wrote:
oslecamo2_temp wrote:Full-magic block? Well, that Staff of Suckage sure is a quite powerful item. One can only wondr why Wanda didn't take it to the field.

In a lot of magic systems, anti-magic items are a two way street...blocks spells cast *on* you and spells cast *by* you.

Eerr, from my gaming experience that'susually not the case. Most of the time, anti-magic doesn't block friendly magic, or at least doesn't stop you from using your own magic. Altough I'll admit it varies quite a lot, many times inside a single system.

Yes, they don't as a general rule. But it is a fairly common game trope to have an "Amulet of the Barbarian" that would give, say, 50% magic resistance at the cost of -50% to mana and spell damage. Wanda would want no part of something like that.

oslecamo2_temp wrote:However, would Hamster take the staff if it meant geting cut out from Maggie's thinkmancy's? I really don't believe so.

Good question. Somehow the staff is blocking Jojo but not Maggie, so it might only be attuned to hostile or non-allied enchantments.

However, that is an issue apart from whether or not the staff impacts the wielder's ability to cast.
Last edited by kouhoutek on Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kouhoutek

Postby Wender » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:01 pm

Oh, now that's a cute piece of misdirection.

The first rule of stage magic is to keep your audience's attention on something other than the sleight-of-hand you're doing behind your back. The scroll is a shiny object, and the "free will" pitch is a con.

The trick is to get Parson to drop the Staff of Suckage, which is his one sure defense against Jeftichew and all the other hostile casters. Clever of him to drop it almost as an aside, but from here that looks like the actual goal.
Wender

Postby ZevGun » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:10 pm

This is a very lame interpretation of what Jojo's saying, but what if the scroll simply returns Parson to GK?
The MK could be considered another world and Parson certainly does belong in GK.

Jojo could be honest about what the scroll does, and vague on the actual destination (which others have already pointed out).
Once Parson is back in GK it'd be hard for him to try and get into Spacerock.

I don't think it's a scroll of recall, just throwing the idea out there.
ZevGun
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Walt » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:39 pm

If Jojo allows Parson to take the scroll, then instead of being a brief diversion/distraction in the current book, it could become a strong thematic element (if not a major plot device) in the next one.

For one thing, I predict it would make Charlie very nervous, once he learned it's in PGLH's possession.
Walt

Postby Pax » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:41 pm

Walt wrote:If Jojo allows Parson to take the scroll, then instead of being a brief diversion/distraction in the current book, it could become a strong thematic element (if not a major plot device) in the next one.

For one thing, I predict it would make Charlie very nervous, once he learned it's in PGLH's possession.

.... Parson goes looking for a Titan, and slaps the scroll spell on it ... sending it back to ErfWorld, to fix the things that have broken??
Pax

Postby oslecamo2_temp » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:19 pm

kouhoutek wrote:Yes, they don't as a general rule. But it is a fairly common game trope to have an "Amulet of the Barbarian" that would give, say, 50% magic resistance at the cost of -50% to mana and spell damage. Wanda would want no part of something like that.

Wanda herself disagrees with that, since she used one of those when fighting Ansom back on book 1. Skull on top, blocks magic attacks, it was a Staff of Suckage allright.

Besides the pliers give her infinite decrypting ability and she has no actual magic attacks we've seen so far besides activating scrolls and stored tower spells, so really, what did she have to lose?
Formerly oslecamo2, unable to acess old acount.
oslecamo2_temp

Postby Dr Pepper » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:32 pm

Ambug666 wrote:Parson was a man who thought he worked for Kinkos
But he knew it couldn’t last.
Parson left his home and made it out to Erfworld.
Kicked Prince Ansom in his ass.

Get back, Get back.
Get back to where you once belonged.
Get back, Get back.
Get Back Parson !

JoJo was a ‘mancer and he was a carney.
But his side, it could not stay.
He got himself a scroll – I think it was from Charlie
To send Parson far away.

Get back, Get back.
Get back, Get back.
Get Back Jojo!

Gold Star
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Kreistor » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:46 pm

oslecamo2_temp wrote:
kouhoutek wrote:Yes, they don't as a general rule. But it is a fairly common game trope to have an "Amulet of the Barbarian" that would give, say, 50% magic resistance at the cost of -50% to mana and spell damage. Wanda would want no part of something like that.

Wanda herself disagrees with that, since she used one of those when fighting Ansom back on book 1. Skull on top, blocks magic attacks, it was a Staff of Suckage allright.

Besides the pliers give her infinite decrypting ability and she has no actual magic attacks we've seen so far besides activating scrolls and stored tower spells, so really, what did she have to lose?

I went through Book 1 for the same reason. I remember Wanda carrying that staff. I think it first shows when she climbs the tower to confront Jillian, and she carries it until she begins Dance Fighting. What makes little sense to me is "Why did she stop carrying it?" Okay, we can guess she's probably out of Juice at this point, or retaining too little of significance, until it is amplified by the Link. But if the Staff requires someone with Juice, it would indicate to Parson that he is a caster, since it works for him. (He had the twoll collect magic items that would work for him.) Since it works without juice, and dancing with a Staff is not inappropriate (Astaire did it), there is no obvious reason why she would give it up at that point, except the aesthetic of looking more like MJ.

Further, the Staff must have additional capabilities. Ansom is no caster, and so carrying something that only blocks spells into combat with him is wasting a slot on a useless item. It must have a close combat capacity, since it blocks his sword, but other weapons do that better. We so far have no indication that anyone is weapon or armor restricted by rules.

Giving it up at the Dance Fight makes less sense. Since it does defend against Ansom's melee, it would defend against infantry melee, too, so it still makes sense to retain it, since she does not give it up for a better close combat weapon, or anything else for that matter.

I suspect this is just a retcon, and the Staff has up until this point simply never been defined. It has not displayed any unique power up until this point, so it could be redefined without consequence. My complaints are relatively minor, since there is no reason to keep or get rid of it at any of these points I mention. We can invent details to justify each incident, but all that does is serve to hamper the author.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby Lamech » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:07 pm

Kreistor wrote:I suspect this is just a retcon, and the Staff has up until this point simply never been defined. It has not displayed any unique power up until this point, so it could be redefined without consequence. My complaints are relatively minor, since there is no reason to keep or get rid of it at any of these points I mention. We can invent details to justify each incident, but all that does is serve to hamper the author.
Even if we conclude that Parson's staff and Wanda's staff are different they could be completely different items. One has the enchantment of suckage, the other has the enchantment of shield.
But even if we did assume they are the same, she wouldn't take a staff to thriller since you don't dance thriller with a staff. Indeed she has no weapon at all, not even a sword. But even IF we assume its a crappy melee weapon and that is why she didn't bring it to thriller it still makes sense. She may not have considered Ansom a threat for several reasons: she has better combat points, a team of units or the fact that she is a croakamancer could have meant she didn't think Ansom would be an issue. And if Ansom's not a threat only the the archons are a threat. So she would only be concerned with Ansom hiring achons and attacking her.
Lamech

Postby joosy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:08 pm

Kreistor wrote:I went through Book 1 for the same reason. I remember Wanda carrying that staff. I think it first shows when she climbs the tower to confront Jillian, and she carries it until she begins Dance Fighting. What makes little sense to me is "Why did she stop carrying it?"

simplest answer: No enemy casters or units with casting abiities that could reach her that turn -ergo no point in having it.
joosy

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Kreistor wrote:I went through Book 1 for the same reason. I remember Wanda carrying that staff. I think it first shows when she climbs the tower to confront Jillian, and she carries it until she begins Dance Fighting. What makes little sense to me is "Why did she stop carrying it?"

If I remember correctly, it breaks when she falls after her uncroaked unipegataur gets blasted from underneath her.

Here it is - in panel 10, you can see it falling, and in panel 12, you can see its shattered remains next to Wanda.
http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F121.jpg
WaterMonkey314

Postby bpzinn » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:19 pm

WaterMonkey314 wrote:

If I remember correctly, it breaks when she falls after her uncroaked unipegataur gets blasted from underneath her.

Here it is - in panel 10, you can see it falling, and in panel 12, you can see its shattered remains next to Wanda.
http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F121.jpg

Also, even that aside, I don't think it would work. There is no choreography for using a staff when dancing to thriller. If wearing equipment appropriate to a dance fighting style is either necessary or gives a bonus, using something out of place could give a penalty or prevent use of that dance entirely.
bpzinn

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions