Book 2 – Text Updates 051

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 051

Postby Trotsky » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:16 pm

All she needed was a crit, and she could feel she had one in her.

And it would seem that it was a crit fail.

with a remarkably clear view to the red-headed Warlady's flank.

So, how many people are sad that the drawing didn't provide a clearer view of said Warlady's flank?

The red-headed Warlord paused, and looked up.

I am probably crazy, but I took this to mean that Sylvia was aware something was wrong and was daring fate to man up and kill her. Kinda a continuation of the point of view she showed during her fall:

Sylvia was long past "a lack of fear." As she plunged toward the shattered roof, the city swelling up to meet her and the dwagon's limp wings flapping behind like battle standards, she couldn't even manage concern. She faced her doom this time around like a gambler with a pat hand. Oblivion was bluffing. Showboating, even.

Very much a "fate won't let me die, it doesn't have the guts," sort of thing.
BLANDCorporatio wrote:
DoctorJest wrote:"Wolves are like dogs, but dogs are like dogs, so therefore: kittens".

DoctorJest, if I weren't referentially married to my sig I'd use that instead.
Trotsky

Postby Sixty » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:26 pm

I think I could HEAR Bland shouting "YES!" as the tile deflected the arrow. :D
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby zilfallon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:49 pm

trotsky wrote:And it would seem that it was a crit fail.

Yeah, she should have specified which crit she prayed for a bit more :D
rkyeun wrote:Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Postby Klivian » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:57 pm

Sieggy wrote:It's nice to see that Sylvia's faith in Fate is justified. Given the foreshadowing of the Errant Tile, displaced and falling as fate's foil, I'll chuckle if Slately tosses Ossomer off the carpet to make his escape (with or without Ossomer's acquiescence), who then falls on top of someone important like Sylvia, Artemis, or maybe Parson, Wanda, et al as they emerge into the atrium (assuming they ever get to moving . . .).

BTW, while Ossomer is just sitting there being all emo, seriously, why has no one ordered him down to take a hand in things? I mean, Sylvia is right there - this guy's supposed to be a warlord, a badass warrior, and he's being a useless melancholic lump. There's a battle going on, and even if he can't land, he can still take down enemy units as Ansom did on the top of GKs walls (Death From Slightly Above). Someone in command (like Sylvia) should call him down - if he wants to die, let him do so honorably in battle, not sitting there watching the truck bear down on him like a deer caught in the headlights. They don't let people into the City of Heroes for just sitting there waiting for death to claim them because they're all angsty . . .

And thus far, I'd have to say that the fates haven't been particularly supportive of the Royalist faction - perhaps the Titans themselves realize that the game has grown stale and it's time for a change?

Oh, and just out of curiosity, where was the Don's surveillance bat hanging from? Was it the tower that's getting ready to fall down and go BOOM?

Ossomer is technically in a different hex. The food fight put the dwagon stacks in the garrison, but the other airborne units (archons being the only ones I can think of offhand) are stuck in the airspace zone. They can't attack across the hex boundary, since it isn't their turn. Ossomer can only engage if a Jetsone unit enters the airspace zone.
Klivian

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:58 pm

Trotsky wrote:So, how many people are sad that the drawing didn't provide a clearer view of said Warlady's flank?

Why yes, the angle is a bit awkward for mashing in helmets found via image search :P . But one uses what one has.

Sixty wrote:I think I could HEAR Bland shouting "YES!" as the tile deflected the arrow. :D

:lol: It certainly was a jolt. Go Sylvia, avenge red-shirts everywhere!

zilfallon wrote:one of the best things about this update is that it provided Bland a new avatar :D

Heh, glad you like it. The angle of the head is a bit awkward compared to the helmet, but for now it'll have to do. Until next update at least, when we'll see the duel betw-

wait, no, next update is Jeftichew. And while the Jeftichew storyline has much more pressing matters to attend to than provide background details about a Tono Porkins turned temporary Wedge, I can't help but wonder what was that Carnymancy thing in Sylvia's poem and whether Jeftichew had a part (or what it was).

If it was something about a ressurection, then it may even make a perverse Erf sense. After all, Carnymancers cheat, so what's the most epic feat of cheating if not cheating death?
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby wrecan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:35 pm

effataigus wrote:When had Ossomer been dwelling upon a stone on the tower? Maybe last turn, but Ossomer appears to have been near Exp. Bridge or in the air since then... did anyone understand what was meant by this?

"He could see a slightly crooked tile he remembered in the stonework. It had irritated him, he recalled. A misfit in the otherwise perfectly ordered masonry.
He looked down, and the odd-shaped stone tile again caught his eye. But for once, it looked as if it were meant to be where it was."
-Text Update 47
wrecan

Postby Quimper » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:56 pm

Sigh.. The uninterrupted win-streak of the Deus ex Knob and the Broken Tools have really made the second book a pure and utter disappointment. Theres absolutely no suspense or drama when you give the protagonists 100% victories, imbalanced/game breaking items and zero casualties. Fail!

Then again.. i guess i'll stick around a bit longer to se if anything changes (unlikely..). :/
Quimper

Postby cloudbreaker » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:05 pm

Radagast wrote:I'm not sure if this is the first time or not, but we definitely have absolute proof that warlords (and warladies) can see opposing unit stats.

Some stats. She could see Sylvia's level, but not the bonus Wanda was providing her. And we know units on the same side can see bonuses because Stanley was surprised when Zhopa's bonus changed.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Grimnir » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:13 pm

Oh there's a catfight coming up. :D
Grimnir

Postby The.Healing.Mage » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:stealth Brick Jokes

Sup dawg, heard you like jokes...

Trotsky wrote:
with a remarkably clear view to the red-headed Warlady's flank.

So, how many people are sad that the drawing didn't provide a clearer view of said Warlady's flank?

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THAR.

Very suspenseful and engaging update, even from someone who professes to not care a huge amount about Sylvia. Actually, I root for her for the same reason I root for Belkar of OOTS. Because she's a badass. But then Artemis, the most professional military unit we've ever seen set up to snipe Sylvia, and I thought that Rob was making a professional soldier vs. warrior argument viz a viz WWII, but then NAW BRO Sylvia just keeps winning.

And then the art is beautitful, even before you consider the horrifying complexity of that perspective. I will go find a hat solely for the purpose of taking it off to Xin.
The.Healing.Mage

Postby DeathTheKid » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:22 pm

cloudbreaker wrote:
Radagast wrote:I'm not sure if this is the first time or not, but we definitely have absolute proof that warlords (and warladies) can see opposing unit stats.

Some stats. She could see Sylvia's level, but not the bonus Wanda was providing her. And we know units on the same side can see bonuses because Stanley was surprised when Zhopa's bonus changed.

On the topic of bonus, do we know if they are affected by city zones like they are by hex bounds? Since Wanda gives a small bonus to all decrypted, a larger one to each in her hex, and the largest to those in her stack, do we know if Lady Sylvia receives the larger bonus of +4 or just the smaller one of +1?

Relevant update regarding bonuses: http://www.erfworld.com/summer-update-2 ... mWanda.jpg
DeathTheKid

Postby fjolnir » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:25 pm

The nature of the world pretty much guarantees that a change in fortune is upcoming.
fjolnir

Postby cloudbreaker » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:26 pm

DeathTheKid wrote:
cloudbreaker wrote:

On the topic of bonus, do we know if they are affected by city zones like they are by hex bounds? Since Wanda gives a small bonus to all decrypted, a larger one to each in her hex, and the largest to those in her stack, do we know if Lady Sylvia receives the larger bonus of +4 or just the smaller one of +1?

Relevant update regarding bonuses: http://www.erfworld.com/summer-update-2 ... mWanda.jpg

That is a good question. One that I don't think we know the answer to yet.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby throwingrocks » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:34 pm

Allright, I don't normally like the Text updates, but this one was very nice, and worth it.
throwingrocks

Postby mcw0933 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:36 pm

Rocks fall... nobody dies?
Yes. That is a rocket-propelled bulldozer of love.
mcw0933
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby FaustiiGoethe » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:47 pm

Ey there is a mistake there...

Sylvia must be a level 7 warlod, no 6... She killed ossomer...

edit: mmmm it's just me or Sylvia was nerfed for the encounter with Artemis ?
FaustiiGoethe

Postby wonmean » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:08 pm

Man, I was holding my breath reading through that.

Huzzah, Sylvia lives to croak again.
wonmean

Postby oslecamo2_temp » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:15 pm

mcw0933 wrote:Rocks fall... nobody dies?

Oh, a lot of people will die. The tower is crumbling, so most units inside it are doomed. Slatley will have to mount a unipegataur and takes flight, probably with the mancers, or they all go down with the tower.

Artemis will also now send her knights in a suicide charge trying to take down the purples, but since Wanda's still around providing super uncrypted bonus, Hamster will arrive at any moment for another bonus, and Trems is kinda too busy dying to provide his own bonus, Sylvia will easily "recruit" Artemis to GK.
Formerly oslecamo2, unable to acess old acount.
oslecamo2_temp

Postby The.Healing.Mage » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:16 pm

mcw0933 wrote:Rocks fall... nobody dies?

That's 'cause it wasn't Parson's idea.

EDIT: Boop you, oslecamo2_temp, for ninja-ing me by a single minute. :P
EDIT2: oslecamo2, why you need temp? Did you get trolled too hard on the last reaction page?
The.Healing.Mage

Postby atalex » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:23 pm

Sieggy wrote:BTW, while Ossomer is just sitting there being all emo, seriously, why has no one ordered him down to take a hand in things? I mean, Sylvia is right there - this guy's supposed to be a warlord, a badass warrior, and he's being a useless melancholic lump. There's a battle going on, and even if he can't land, he can still take down enemy units as Ansom did on the top of GKs walls (Death From Slightly Above). Someone in command (like Sylvia) should call him down - if he wants to die, let him do so honorably in battle, not sitting there watching the truck bear down on him like a deer caught in the headlights. They don't let people into the City of Heroes for just sitting there waiting for death to claim them because they're all angsty . . .

He can't act; that's why he's so emo and melancholy. The dragon riders managed to transition to the atrium via the exploit and are therefore capable of action, but Oss and the Archons can take no action against anyone who does not enter the airspace. In a prior update, he was angsting over the fact that he didn't want to ride the carpet in the first place and if he'd been riding a mount like he wanted, he could have harvested it and been down in the think of things with everybody else. Since this battle started, he's been killed, resurrected, forced to betray his family, forced to provide cover for a "dishonorable" parlay attack, and now completely forgotten by his own team while left hanging at the edge of the enemy's stronghold. I think he's kind of entitled to be emo.
atalex

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions