Book 2 – Text Updates 051

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 051

Postby KiltedNinja » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:42 pm

Fan-Tastic.

Mind. Blown.

That is all I have to say :D

(...Except for, will we see The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny? *Hopes*)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
...I'm still holding out for the Arkenoid...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
KiltedNinja
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Sieggy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:59 pm

The middle of a battle is a really bad place to get depressed and useless, and is utterly unworthy of a CWL. He can't land, but he CAN engage from airspace - Ansom did so during his solo assault of the uncroaked on the top of the GK walls. He didn't land, and didn't need to order to attack. For a WL of his level to get all weepy & mopey in the middle of a climactic battle may be dramatic storytelling, but it sure makes me wish that someone would just put that hamhock out of his misery. Seriously, could you imagine, say, Parsifal getting all sad & weepy? So instead of a glorious death, Ossomer goes down with a tear in his eye. Pathetic, and utterly unworthy of a warrior and soldier.

Sylvia, though . . . now, THERE'S a warrior! Professional, focused, courageous, and daring. Everything Ossomer is not. When she dusts, it'll be with a smile on her lips and a poem prepared in her heart for the gatekeepers in the City of Heroes. She will be admitted; Ossomer deserves to drift on the wind, and in the Scorebook of the Titans, he'll be on the 'sorry loser' list. I think Sylvia realizes that Artemis had her cold, and she would have croaked had it not been for the direct intervention of the Titans. She respects Artemis, knows that war is like that, will fight her honorably and fairly as a valiant foe, and if Fate brings her to their side, they will be sword-sisters.
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby Sixty » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:27 pm

Sieggy wrote:The middle of a battle is a really bad place to get depressed and useless, and is utterly unworthy of a CWL. He can't land, but he CAN engage from airspace - Ansom did so during his solo assault of the uncroaked on the top of the GK walls. He didn't land, and didn't need to order to attack. For a WL of his level to get all weepy & mopey in the middle of a climactic battle may be dramatic storytelling, but it sure makes me wish that someone would just put that hamhock out of his misery. Seriously, could you imagine, say, Parsifal getting all sad & weepy? So instead of a glorious death, Ossomer goes down with a tear in his eye. Pathetic, and utterly unworthy of a warrior and soldier.

It was Ansom's turn then though wasn't it? That could be an important difference as it is not Gobwin Knob's turn right now.
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:40 pm

FaustiiGoethe wrote:Ey there is a mistake there...

Sylvia must be a level 7 warlod, no 6... She killed ossomer...

edit: mmmm it's just me or Sylvia was nerfed for the encounter with Artemis ?

I thought Sylvia was level 7 too. When she made a cameo in our Erf campaign, I put her at level 7 because of the poem and that "close to leveling" deal...

BLAND, did you think Sylvia was level 7 too?
WaterMonkey314

Postby drachefly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:49 pm

Sixty wrote:
Sieggy wrote:…He can't land, but he CAN engage from airspace - Ansom did so during his solo assault of the uncroaked on the top of the GK walls.…

It was Ansom's turn then though wasn't it? That could be an important difference as it is not Gobwin Knob's turn right now.

Not his turn AND not GK's city. Wanda was able to change zones to attack during book 1 because she was a defender. Aside from that, agreed. If Ossomer could attack, he totally would.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Oberon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:59 pm

Gator wrote:
zilfallon wrote:Now, the people who say "text updates are irrelevant to the story itself" has another reason to stay in silence

I'm only an intermittent reader of this forum, but do people seriously say that?
They do, but that isn't relevant to the story itself. :P

I loved the update.

Things we learned: Critical hits. Had they been mentioned before?
I am a bit confused, though... This:
"The redhead was a Level 6, so a crit was not unlikely." Not unlikely is a double negative which means likely. And this:
"Should she miss (admittedly likely) [...]" Add up to this:
Both a miss or a critical hit were likely. Which means that a normal hit was the lowest probability of all possible results? I suppose Erf hit charts can look like that, but the phrasing just seems... off..., to me.
effataigus wrote:I am curious about this though:
the fate of the odd-shaped stone tile he had been dwelling upon moments ago.

I can't make sense of this. When had Ossomer been dwelling upon a stone on the tower?
There is a stone, slightly set out of flush with the tower floor. Ossomer used to trip over it. After musing (less elaborately) about his potential to self-terminate by making himself a better target, failing to protect against an attack he has analyzed as being probable, and determining that if he falls or is captured even though he didn't try at all, it is the will of the Titans, he decides that the rock is in place after all. Which is of course enormous irony, when the "will of the Titans" displaces that rock to prevent Sylvia from dusting via head shot.
Radagast wrote:I'm not sure if this is the first time or not, but we definitely have absolute proof that warlords (and warladies) can see opposing unit stats.
We learned that just a few updates ago, when Artemis told her units to concentrate on the opposing units with special A first, then special B, then special K (had to...).
Quimper wrote:Sigh.. The uninterrupted win-streak of the Deus ex Knob and the Broken Tools have really made the second book a pure and utter disappointment. Theres absolutely no suspense or drama when you give the protagonists 100% victories, imbalanced/game breaking items and zero casualties. Fail!
Wait, what? What about (*ptui!*) kingworld?!?
atalex wrote:Since this battle started, he's been killed, resurrected, forced to betray his family, forced to provide cover for a "dishonorable" parlay attack, and now completely forgotten by his own team while left hanging at the edge of the enemy's stronghold. I think he's kind of entitled to be emo.
But, but, HE WAS POPPED AGAIN! Isn't that supposed to make you all cheery and "testify, brother!" and chipper and evangelical?
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Radagast » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:08 pm

Another thing; Aren't there a whole lot of unled decrypted dwagons still wandering around? And won't they auto-attack these knights and Artemis once they become aware of them (ie, now)?
Radagast

Postby drachefly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:08 pm

Oberon wrote:I am a bit confused, though... This:
"The redhead was a Level 6, so a crit was not unlikely." Not unlikely is a double negative which means likely. And this:
"Should she miss (admittedly likely) [...]" Add up to this:
Both a miss or a critical hit were likely. Which means that a normal hit was the lowest probability of all possible results? I suppose Erf hit charts can look like that, but the phrasing just seems... off..., to me.

Pulling numbers out of nowhere for range examples that fit this: 15% crit rate is pretty high for a crit rate, especially compared to a lot of game systems (e.g. D&D/d20 RPG, GURPS, Pendragon, Final Fantasy). 25% is also fairly likely for a miss. That leaves 60% normal hit. She's just saying there is a wide range of possibilities of how this works out.
drachefly

Postby badninja » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:09 pm

kouhoutek wrote:She may be personally screwed, but if she buys the tower enough time for Slately to escape and/or for Trem to get rescued, mission accomplished.

Not that, I was thinking along the lines of how WW 1 went. The old tactics fell out as trench, tank and aircraft* combat began. Parson is introducing new ways to battle, it is not the titans who have changed, it is how to fight has. So will Parson introduce aircraft to Erfworld or something more diabolical? :twisted:

* yes I know it was happening before, but here is where it became more prevalent.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:19 pm

Sieggy wrote:The middle of a battle is a really bad place to get depressed and useless, and is utterly unworthy of a CWL. He can't land, but he CAN engage from airspace -
No he can't. You can only attack across hex boarders or city zone boarders on turn*. So if it was GK's turn he could be popping units left and right. But off-turn the most he could do is drop pieces of equipment and hope it does some damage. Its the reason why the dwagons were helpless. If it was only that they couldn't land the GK forces would have gone "oh well" and burned the tower down. There was an update about this showing the arrow sticking in the zone boarder.
*There are also various exceptions for people in their own city, which Ossomer is not.
Lamech

Postby The.Healing.Mage » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:51 pm

badninja wrote:
kouhoutek wrote:SThe old tactics fell out as trench, tank and aircraft* combat began.

Interestingly, these bar the tanks were pioneered some fifty years earlier during the American Civil War, as were industrialized warfare and chemical weapons. Which, while being pretty interesting, is kinda tangential to your "Parson shook up the system" point. I don't agree with your point not on the grounds that it isn't supported by the plot - quite the opposite in fact - but by the fact that Parson changing the system is the plot. And the schemes. And I know scheming. This is definitely plotting. (2 internet points to everyone who gets that reference, and an additional one for everyone who cannot wait for season 9 to start in about 13 hours.)

And thank you Radagast for pointing out what I've been saying - we have a single stack of Purples that the camera has been on, and then about thirty other dragons, including a monstrous Decrypted Plated Red. Plated Reds are probably the hardest non-leadership unit that we've heard of in Erfworld. Stanley has one under his command, and now Wanda one under hers. I wouldn't be surprised to watch that mother hubber start tearing some silly-hatters a structurally superfluous new behind while simultaneously killing them with fire.

EDIT: Looking on page 14 of book 2 (http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/?px=%2F2009-12-31.jpg), one might notice about 65 dwagons, including the Plated Red, 8 Reds, and an armada of Greens.

I mean, let's face it, it's been way too long since someone in Erfworld set someone else on fire. And don't even say that the Volcano and Redox gambits make up for it.
Last edited by The.Healing.Mage on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The.Healing.Mage

Postby Dr Pepper » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:17 am

Artemis: Die!

Scarlett: Not today, i think.

I wonder if Scarlett will keep that stone as proof that Fate rules all.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby the_tick_rules » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:12 am

the arrow might be easier
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby bladestorm » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:16 am

Maybe the place where Parson belongs in on the underdog's side, pitting his strategy against hopelessly overwhelming odds. The new oppressive force is becoming an army of decrypted, and would set up a scenario that Parson would be giddy over playing. Any unit you lose, your enemy gains. Plus it would put him in opposition to Wanda, who we know scares him.
bladestorm

Postby Spot » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:26 am

The art for this update is simply beautiful. Absolutely amazing angles. I really, really like it.
Spot

Postby Kreistor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:11 am

If Sylvia drops Artemis leveling her to 7, GK will also gain an 8 that can off enemy warlords at range. Snipers are a PITA.

But I have to agree. I don't like Deus Ex Machina saving Sylvia. Sylvia revealing she knew about the shot all along and dodging it? Cool. Fud jumping in the way? Cool. Dust spoiling her aim, preventing the shot? Okay. But a falling stone intercepting the arrow? Lame.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:25 am

WaterMonkey314 wrote:I thought Sylvia was level 7 too. When she made a cameo in our Erf campaign, I put her at level 7 because of the poem and that "close to leveling" deal...

BLAND, did you think Sylvia was level 7 too?

Yes, but that was more wishful thinking. If you read the poem ("I am level six") and realize it's written after Ossomer's turning, then the only logical conclusion is that indeed she is level six.

Kreistor wrote:Sylvia revealing she knew about the shot all along and dodging it? Cool. Fud jumping in the way? Cool. Dust spoiling her aim, preventing the shot? Okay. But a falling stone intercepting the arrow? Lame.

I for one was expecting the "a mount will take a hit for you" musing of Ossomer to become a foreshadowing. And poor Sylvia to be, again, stuck under a croaked Dwagon :P Though maybe a pile of dust would be easier to dig oneself out of.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Klivian » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:40 am

bladestorm wrote:Maybe the place where Parson belongs in on the underdog's side, pitting his strategy against hopelessly overwhelming odds. The new oppressive force is becoming an army of decrypted, and would set up a scenario that Parson would be giddy over playing. Any unit you lose, your enemy gains. Plus it would put him in opposition to Wanda, who we know scares him.

Interestingly, Parson's tactics would be perfectly suited to fighting against Wanda. From what I've gathered from the Summer updates, GK has been kinda doing the blitz strategy, wiping out cities in one turn, which is exactly how you need to fight against the 'pliers, overwhelming force before the enemy can decrypt. That is the one thing that Faq has going for it, is Jillian seems to like that style as well. If Parson goes back to Stupidworld, Faq will become a very potent side (which I think he will, since Jillian won't stand a chance now if Parson turns his attention to her. He did tell Maggie to make it his replacement's priority, so we can assume it would have been his as well.)
Klivian

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:47 am

Wow, woah, whew. So much tension and excitement. And so close too. Artemis seems to know what she is doing and knows how to do it well, and I suspect Sylvia might be being a little overconfident (and yay, we know Sylvia's level for sure now). Evidently she is putting herself in a lot of danger and leaving herself open to at least some forms of attack.

I guess at least Artemis has bought the tower some time. She knew there was a good chance she would miss and is ready to engage, and I guess the purples can't continuing attacking the tower while Artemis strike team is attacking them. At least Slately should have some time now, I hope he uses it to the best of his abilities.

And I really am enjoying reading Artemis, Rob's doing a very good job portraying her as a skilled, smart soldier and commander. Also very nice art on this update, compliments all round.

Sieggy wrote:The middle of a battle is a really bad place to get depressed and useless, and is utterly unworthy of a CWL. He can't land, but he CAN engage from airspace - Ansom did so during his solo assault of the uncroaked on the top of the GK walls. He didn't land, and didn't need to order to attack. For a WL of his level to get all weepy & mopey in the middle of a climactic battle may be dramatic storytelling, but it sure makes me wish that someone would just put that hamhock out of his misery.

Pretty harsh. And I think the situations are a bit different. I'm pretty sure Ansom's attack was during his turn. Oss is stuck in the airspace, he can't cross zones to attack or do any of that. Which is why Parson had to come up with a creative way to get Wanda and co out of the airspace and into the garrison.

Oss doesn't have that option (and he isn't CWL, unless you mean "utterly unworthy of a former CWL").

Seriously, could you imagine, say, Parsifal getting all sad & weepy?

Depends, can we say for sure how he'd respond to being struck down and then resurrected to serve something that goes against everything (interpretation of religion/faith, philosophy, honor etc) he stood for just an hour (or less) earlier? And that something has made him sit by and watch, powerlessly, while everything he used to stand for is destroyed and in ways that don't sit well with him? While watching his father acting in a way that is resonating strongly with him?

So instead of a glorious death, Ossomer goes down with a tear in his eye. Pathetic, and utterly unworthy of a warrior and soldier.

I would say again pretty harsh for someone who is in Oss position and been through what he has (all in less then an hour I'd say). Leaving him up there alone with nothing but his thoughts... personally I think it makes him very interesting (doubly so, for it shows us another side of the decrypted). He is cutting a tragic figure up there, and I'm pretty sure warriors and soldiers are fully capable of feeling emotion (sorrow, rage, meloncholy etc) during personal tragedy or tribulation, while still being worthy of being called warrior and soldier.

In the end I don't know what will happen, but I suspect Oss will aid Jetstone, consciously or not, willingly or not, and might get some happiness out of it (even if he dusts). I do hope it is a conscious decision and he finds the strength to do... something.

Sylvia, though . . . now, THERE'S a warrior! Professional, focused, courageous, and daring.

Or reckless at best, foolish at worst - as Artemis says. And as much as I like Sylvia it isn't an unfair assessment, since she was saved by luck. Granted, luck can play a significant part in surviving during conflict, but it probably isn't the best course of action to rely on it too much.

Ossomer deserves to drift on the wind, and in the Scorebook of the Titans, he'll be on the 'sorry loser' list.

A kind of "we don't like introspection or self reflection around here, regardless of your circumstances" deal, huh?

Ninjaguineapig wrote:I don't think so. Regular soldiers don't really have enough of a personality to be affected by things like that, and they're what really counts. Losing a warlord they never really had won't change much, Wanda will just have to settle with Uncroaking high level enemy leaders instead of decrypting them. But the army stays.

I think it would affect Wanda (the dominating individual that she is) a lot if it occurred though. To discover the decrypted can potentially break free of her control through the pliers. Stanley seemed somewhat troubled by the idea of his dwagons being decrypted (and might be far more so if he gets a chance to meet one and discovered decryption trumps dwagon hammer).

jbevermore wrote:Further proof that GK is indeed favored by something up there.

Or they just get lucky sometimes. And I don't know how such luck will play out, especially with the players as they are. Sylvia has her whole confidence/fate thing, and Artemis got her start with a warlord known for legendary luck and fell from favor when his luck ran out and he was croaked. I don't think Artemis is going to be to fazed.

badninja wrote:Wow and here I thought that the battle was going to swing into Jetstone's favor, now I think Lady Artemis is screwed and she knows it.

Well Artemis did seem to think there was a very good chance she would miss and was prepared for that. If anything it might motivate her even more if she reads it as luck, because Artemis knows better then anyone luck eventually runs out for everyone.

Quimper wrote:Sigh.. The uninterrupted win-streak of the Deus ex Knob and the Broken Tools have really made the second book a pure and utter disappointment. Theres absolutely no suspense or drama when you give the protagonists 100% victories, imbalanced/game breaking items and zero casualties. Fail!

Then again.. i guess i'll stick around a bit longer to se if anything changes (unlikely..). :/

Heh, I don't know what gave you that impression. Things are very close at the moment and neither side is going to leave Spacerock un-scarred, one way or another.

BLANDCorporatio wrote:I for one was expecting the "a mount will take a hit for you" musing of Ossomer to become a foreshadowing. And poor Sylvia to be, again, stuck under a croaked Dwagon :P Though maybe a pile of dust would be easier to dig oneself out of.

No need to worry, it is early days for Artemis and Sylvia's rivalry, I'm sure there is plenty of time for a mount to take a hit (I wonder if they arrow ended up sticking out of anyone or anything in the end).
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby zilfallon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:03 am

Then again.. i guess i'll stick around a bit longer to se if anything changes (unlikely..). :/

[sarcasm]Yeah, they're totally on a winning streak. I mean, it is just that their most precious units were isolated in a fortified enemy capital after their turn was ended by an epic spell. But now, they're turning this to a victory because they have a perfect warlord. Pf yeah, how the hell can the most dangerous being in the erfworld turn the tides? Total nonsense. And now their cities are being razed...pf, they never lose anything...[/sarcasm]

Kreistor wrote:Sylvia revealing she knew about the shot all along and dodging it? Cool. Fud jumping in the way? Cool. Dust spoiling her aim, preventing the shot? Okay. But a falling stone intercepting the arrow? Lame.

It was foreshadowed by a couple of updates weeks ago, so i don't see this as "lame".
Would you have said so if the arrow was a crit? like..."pfff yeah right, it was a crit because it was an important shot, lame."
rkyeun wrote:Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions