Book 2 – Page 64

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 64

Postby Oberon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:29 am

So, what use was Janis? I don't mean that in a mean way, but Chewie wasn't attacking, Parson wasn't dropping the scroll so Chewie could cast it, and Chewie wasn't getting what he wanted. Seems to me he'd have left in frustration anyway, so why did Janice need to cast a spell? Maybe it prevented him from continuing his carnie patter, but it wasn't doing anything anyway, and apparently with the staff Parson is well protected against magic. So Chewi had noting left but quick talk and attempting to fill Parson with a sense of urgency using infomercial language. Being from Stupidworld Parson should be rather immune to that.

Parson is looking down on Sizemore with an interesting expression, 6th panel. Sort like you would if you had a sword and a staff and were three times the size of some guy potentially threatening you, and your kid brother got in between you and he with a shovel to "protect" you... :D
Last edited by Oberon on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby DevilDan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:31 am

Wow. So worth the wait.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Marshalle Ney » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:32 am

And Sizemore pulls himself a Big Damn Heroes moment.

I dont think that this is the last we've seen of JoJo tho...

And finally, Janis and her masquerade is about to face a massive unravelling at the hands of Lord Hamster, who will clearly wonder why his loyal dirtamancer just showed up...with a Hippymancer and Miss Cleo....both of whom seemed to know what was going on.
Marshalle Ney

Postby The Minx » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:39 am

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:I guess that more or less approves that the scroll could send him back to earth. From now on Parson has no excuses, all that happens under his command is his responsibility.

"Proves", you mean. :P

I don't know that it does, though it seems very likely. Somehow, I don't think that he'll use it until the war is over. After all, he wanted to come, regardless of what he might claim.
The Minx

Postby Cyanshine » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:42 am

Love, love, LOVE the art!
Awesome update but I WANT MOAR!!!
Cyanshine

Postby happyturtle » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:46 am

@ Oberon: Carnymancy - I'm guessing Jojo's banter and fast talk could be used to con people. The scroll is too difficult and valuable to cast through the staff, but he might have been able to bamboozle Parson with his own magic. Or bamboozle someone else into knocking the staff out of Parson's hand. Certainly it did something, or it wouldn't have alarmed Jojo so much when Janis started casting.
happyturtle
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby The Minx » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:48 am

BTW: the "great white whale" comment might also be a P. T. Barnum reference, rather than a Moby Dick reference. From the Wikipedia article on the American Museum:

The five story building also served great educational value. Aside from the different attractions, the Museum also promoted educational ends, including natural history in its menageries, aquarium (which featured a large white whale), and taxidermy exhibits; history in its paintings, wax figures, and memorabilia; and temperance reform and Shakespearean dramas in the above described "Lecture Room" or theater.[3]

And P. T. Barnum would certainly be a Carnymancer, more so than Herman Melville. Or it might be a bit of both. :?
The Minx

Postby stcredzero » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:56 am

http://www.erfworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2736&start=158

stcredzero wrote:Parson was once a garrison unit, so once he belonged in GK. What if the Magic Kingdom is another dimension? Then transporting Parson back to GK would be sending him "out of this world". Everything Jojo is saying is consistent with Parson being sent back to GK by the scroll, which would cause an irate Stanley to take command, with disastrous results. That would be just like a carny trick.

("This way to The Egress?")

I wonder if Rob was reading my post?
stcredzero

Postby Renion » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:13 pm

I'm enjoying the faster updates. I hope they can keep this up for a few more panels at least.
Renion
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby TheMutant » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:16 pm

Loving the art from the Janis-casting panel and the 'Avedon' one following. :> So awesome.

And I'm guessing that Jojo wasn't going to just walk away if Parson refused- he might have started using his own spells to render Parson unable to defend against the scroll. So Janis's intervention was likely necessary (certainly Jojo seemed to think so, from the 'No. Janis...' comment).

Wonder how the Thinkamancers are going to come into play, since they're no longer needed to bail out Parson. Maybe they'll grab Jojo and force him to reveal who he was working for/in cahoots with?
Join the Erflings fanart gallery on DeviantArt!

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.
TheMutant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby charles » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:18 pm

Whats the bet Parson has the scroll used on someone/something else before the end of the book?

Test of loyalty and duty. He looses his chance to return home to win the battle, or maybe save someone or something, etc.

Scary thing... whoever he does it to doesn't simply disappear... They end up in Stupidworld...
charles
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby ryanroyce » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:25 pm

TheMutant wrote:Loving the art from the Janis-casting panel and the 'Avedon' one following. :> So awesome.

And I'm guessing that Jojo wasn't going to just walk away if Parson refused- he might have started using his own spells to render Parson unable to defend against the scroll. So Janis's intervention was likely necessary (certainly Jojo seemed to think so, from the 'No. Janis...' comment).

Wonder how the Thinkamancers are going to come into play, since they're no longer needed to bail out Parson. Maybe they'll grab Jojo and force him to reveal who he was working for/in cahoots with?

My crazy theory is that Stanley will order Parson to come back and explain himself... at which point he'll be at the wrong end of a long tunnel full of angry mages. The Great Minds will have to intervene on his behalf, somehow.
ryanroyce
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby kaylasdad99 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:32 pm

Stanley would do his ordering through Maggie, who's perfectly capable of facilitating the explanation with Parson where he stands.
kaylasdad99

Postby Sojiko » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:44 pm

Avedon? Wut?

I like seeing flower power in action, and the flower that stays stuck in Jojo's hair after the casting (although it looks like it has disappeared in the last panel, maybe because of the angle).

Also, Parson was right to delay the decision, you DO NOT blindly trust a carnie when he's trying to press you for an immediate answer. That's, like, rule #1 of dealing with them.
Sojiko

Postby kouhoutek » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Oberon wrote:So, what use was Janis? I don't mean that in a mean way, but Chewie wasn't attacking, Parson wasn't dropping the scroll so Chewie could cast it, and Chewie wasn't getting what he wanted. Seems to me he'd have left in frustration anyway, so why did Janice need to cast a spell? Maybe it prevented him from continuing his carnie patter, but it wasn't doing anything anyway, and apparently with the staff Parson is well protected against magic. So Chewi had noting left buy quick talk and attempting to fill Parson with a sense of urgency using infomercial language. Being from Stupidworld Parson should be rather immune to that.

She preventing him from casting the scroll anyway. If the staff only grants say, 50% spell resistance, rather than full spell immunity, Jojo might have rolled the dice and tried anyway. All his talk was to try to make it a sure thing.

She also provided some evidence the scroll is not harmful...not sure if a pacified opponent would still have been able to give a booby trapped scroll away.

Oberon wrote:Parson is looking down on Sizemore with an interesting expression, 6th panel. Sort like you would if you had a sword and a staff and were three times the size of some guy potentially threatening you, and your kid brother got in between you and he with a shovel to "protect" you... :D

Loved this. Sizemore still cares.
kouhoutek

Postby kouhoutek » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Sojiko wrote:Also, Parson was right to delay the decision, you DO NOT blindly trust a carnie when he's trying to press you for an immediate answer. That's, like, rule #1 of dealing with them.

Rule #2

Rule #1 is "Don't deal with carnies"
kouhoutek

Postby teratorn » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:05 pm

TheMutant wrote:Wonder how the Thinkamancers are going to come into play, since they're no longer needed to bail out Parson. Maybe they'll grab Jojo and force him to reveal who he was working for/in cahoots with?

If casters can add their juice, they could make a suggestion so people don't see Parson crossing into Jetstone...
teratorn

Postby Dr Pepper » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:06 pm

Groovy! And beware of challenging a dirtamancer to dig it :)

Love the way the Beatles refs flew back and forth in this one. And i see that the "egress" did come up as someone here had speculated, albeit not in the wat speculated. But that's because Rob is still the ultimate foolamancer. Well done!

I'd say more but i just got a call for a job. When you're self unemployed like me, you gotta let the clients set your schedule.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby nth » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:22 pm

Renion wrote:I'm enjoying the faster updates. I hope they can keep this up for a few more panels at least.

Especially if this means Rob's life is running more smoothly.
nth

Postby Wren » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Erf-bound whale... feeling "will-y"

FREE will-y?? eh? eh? XD
Wren

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions