Book 2 – Page 65

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby Lamech » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:24 am

Kreistor wrote:Yeah, Lamech, I could poke a thousand holes in that. Massive conspiracies of liars, opinion and speculation presented as fact, Straw Men... it's a non-starter, We'd just go round and around like we have been, sorry.

BTW, since you'll protest the :Strawa Man" claim: the Straw Man is the "Army" bit. It doesn't go "One, Army", it goes, "one, two, three, [snip], 999, Army." There are far more than two possible solutions to that problem. try "thousands".
Okay so not an army. What advantage would an extra caster or casters provide? They still can't cast on Parson until he drops the staff. They need to banish him. They must get to cast on him. Maybe they could croak him (summons, collapses ect.) but that won't stop the GMtTA from taking the body to Wanda and having Parson decrypted.

And if someone warned a caster who wants to keep Parson out of the MK, why wouldn't the caster tell all the other casters? And why wouldn't the caster wall Parson off? And why wouldn't the caster get all battle ready outside the portal with weapon drawn waiting for Parson?
Lamech
 
Posts: 1450
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby Kreistor » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:56 am

Lamech wrote:What advantage would an extra caster or casters provide? They still can't cast on Parson until he drops the staff.


Not exactly. The staff doesn't have to grant immunity to spells to cause Jojo to pause. If it blocks 50% of spells, he is still not going to risk his one scroll on a coin flip, if he can trick it out of Parson's hand. While he might risk casting aggressively against a 5% chance of failure, 50% is worrisome, especially if Charlie is not bankrolling this, and it's Jojo's hard earned Rands.

And more casters means more options. Not all spells cause direct damage. A telekinetically thrown rock aimed at Parson would hurt him even if the staff were immunity. But the fact is, they wouldn't know he would have that staff during the planning stage, so they aren't planning for it. They need to plan for the presence of Maggie, Sizemore, Wanda, and Jack, just in case he comes through in force. Assuming they know about when Parson will step through, Jack and Wanda can enter from Spacerock and meet him at the Portal, while Maggie and Sizemore enter with Parson. This plan didn't even account for Sizemore being ready to help Parson, when he was right there to interfere, and that is simply not like Charlie, since Charlie knew something of that plan from eavesdropping on Parson's communication of the plan to Wanda.

They need to banish him. They must get to cast on him. Maybe they could croak him (summons, collapses ect.) but that won't stop the GMtTA from taking the body to Wanda and having Parson decrypted.


Again with this god-like version of the GMTTA. Thinkamancers are 1 of 23 schools, and that means they can't be assured of getting the corpse. No, I don't agree that a GMTTA link-up to overwhelm everyone in MK to get it makes even a single ounce of sense, when they can just create the Summon spell and get someone else to try again, without setting the MK on fire.

And if someone warned a caster who wants to keep Parson out of the MK, why wouldn't the caster tell all the other casters? And why wouldn't the caster wall Parson off? And why wouldn't the caster get all battle ready outside the portal with weapon drawn waiting for Parson?
[/quote]

I have no idea, because you've made another Straw Man.
Last edited by Kreistor on Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
User avatar
Kreistor
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:59 pm
Location: K-W, Ontario, Canada

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:31 am

ZippyTheBookWorm wrote:
nth wrote:
effataigus wrote:You know, since the possibility that Charlie can read Parson's Klogs is being discussed, it's not such a far stretch to reflect on the implications of him having access to the internet. As in, this one... as I'm sure has been done somewhere in these forums.


My god... It all makes sense, now.

The ultimate bad guy? The final boss? The titanic enemy Parson must overcome?

It's *US*.
:shock:


We are so booped.


Speak for yourself. Based on my experience with the "Your Games" group, Parson ain't got nothin' on us.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
User avatar
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 3446
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby Ytaker » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:08 am

Kreistor wrote:
Lamech wrote:What advantage would an extra caster or casters provide? They still can't cast on Parson until he drops the staff.


Not exactly. The staff doesn't have to grant immunity to spells to cause Jojo to pause. If it blocks 50% of spells, he is still not going to risk his one scroll on a coin flip, if he can trick it out of Parson's hand. While he might risk casting aggressively against a 5% chance of failure, 50% is worrisome, especially if Charlie is not bankrolling this, and it's Jojo's hard earned Rands.


Or the staff has a certain limit of the amount it can block. Can absorb 30 units of magic per turn or a maximum of 10 units of magic per round. A teleportation spell wouldn't be built to punch through the spell's defences while a host of shockamancy spells might be able to.

It would be a very overpowered magical item if it had no juice limit.
Ytaker
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:23 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby Quincunx » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:36 am

What's all this about the yellow sparkles being Sizemore's spell? A Great Mind that Thinks Alike has targeted the underground kerfluffle, given another caster something to aim for. . .perhaps given another caster the right _stack_ to aim for, and fail to pierce Parson's spell resistance. . .
Quincunx
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:43 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby fjolnir » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:09 pm

A word to note, one of the points someone is using towards Charlie being a mastermind is that he figured out the volcano was uncroaked. I argue that anybody with more magic knowledge than "caster heal that stabber" and "foolamancer veil these stacks" and the basic knowledge that the RCC commanders had could have made this determination without too much difficulty; the RCC command knew that GK had a Thinkamancer (Parson interupts a command meeting with a visual thinkagram to Ansom), they later find out that there's also a dirtamancer (tunnel actions, wanda's save, and shockamancy scroll attack), it is common knowledge about the croakamancer (jillian must have mentioned her once, as well as the VAST amount of uncroaked the side has...), GK has a foolamancer as well but everyone already knows he's somewhere else engaging TV units and Jillian at the time. Massive effect of a magic nature ('multi-hex dirtamancy trap')+thinkamancer and the fact that only 3 casters are at gk at the time= link
User avatar
fjolnir
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby Tachyon » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:09 pm

Just realized where we've seen the Staff of Suckage before. Wanda was using it on the tower when she repelled Jillian's aerial "recon by fire" group in Book 1, with the tower defenses (here: http://www.erfworld.com/wp-content/uplo ... k1/095.jpg ). If you've read the wiki, you already knew this.

It's almost certain that, knowing its function, she was using it while deploying magical air defenses to ensure that only units with an Archery special could hit her; gives her a major tactical advantage since Jillian's squad couldn't cross the hex boundary and land for combat. Probably also protected her from the Archons' ranged specials, as they all belong to some school of magic. It obviously doesn't block the caster's own magic, since she was able to activate the tower defenses while holding it (as with any Magic Item, the effect it produces still needs to be guided by the user, which tells me it's activated by the caster's passive or active will to use it).

Let's take account of all other Magic Items we've seen so far (copied from the wiki).
* 1.1.1 Eyebooks
* 1.1.2 Eyemancer Table
* 1.1.3 Flying Carpet
* 1.1.4 Message Hats
* 1.1.5 3D Glasses
* 1.1.6 Mathamancy Bracer
* 1.1.7 The Sword of Ruthlessness
* 1.1.8 "Magic Dust"
* 1.1.9 Bracer Blaster
* 1.1.10 Laurel of Napster
* 1.1.11 Staff of Suckage

The Eyebooks and Eyemancer Table have proven to be pretty obscenely powerful. These aren't involved in actual combat, though, so let's ignore them, along with the Message Hats, 3D Glasses, and anything that doesn't contribute to a unit's Hits per turn or other stats, as well as the Flying Carpet, since that modifies the unit's movement type. I'll note most of these are pretty powerful Magic Items, since they've a persistent effect that doesn't just end when it's been used too much - the Flying Carpet, as we've seen, functions even at night, as Ansom and Jillian spent the night on it over a lake, and Ansom had been using it all day long. The Laurel of Napster and the 3D Glasses likewise function just by looking and thinking about the target they're to analyze.

That pretty much leaves us comparing the Staff of Suckage to the Bracer Blaster, comparing a defensive item to the only Magic Item we've seen that is capable of producing an attack (Sword of Ruthlessness was used to attack, but that's because it's a sword, not just a Magic Item, and as it doesn't seem to use Juice for that, it's not a valid comparison). The Bracer Blaster functions to stun, knock back, and bruise, at best - any actual damage it can cause seems fairly limited in scope, as it produces a force beam which is basically a ranged punch. This makes it pretty much a supplemental effect - not as powerful as a Unit's own Specials.

Whatever effects they produce, all Magic Items we've seen so far function along the lines of Automation, Reproduction, and Persistence - that is, they Automatically Reproduce a specified effect, Repeatedly (Persistence), by whatever means provided for them to do so. Regardless of the scope of their effect, they are on a level of usefulness slightly higher or lower than just regular, mundane tools - a lot of them work only for specified situations, and how far you can take adapting them to alternate tasks depends on the nature of the item. The Staff of Suckage also functions along these lines and within that range (given its nature as a Magic Item), so it's safe to say number of uses of the effect can be unlimited, but the power of the spells it attempts to intercept may be able to overcome the effect (hafta roll high to beat it, or cast a spell of over a certain level).

I think we're assuming all Magic Items function solely on their own Juice, which may be a mistake - Parson's Mathamancy Bracer and the Flying Carpet are both used by non-casters (or at least, in a non-casting way) but we've not ruled out a caster using a Magic Item in tandem with their own Juice. And in fact, I think we've actually seen it; linking this again so you see the seventh panel here: http://www.erfworld.com/wp-content/uplo ... k1/095.jpg

Could be just artistic effect, but that looks to me like Wanda's using it as a focus to activate the tower defense, or she's releasing a spell she stored in the staff (more likely the former, since tower defenses can be stored in the tower itself... but that just speaks to a tower functioning as a temporary Magic Item, and rather than ruling out the possibility of storing spells in any suitable Magic Item, that somewhat backs it up). The off chance I'm making the mistake of being misled by visual cues and my own assumptions notwithstanding, we know the Blaster Bracer contains some form of spell (we could call it a Special, I guess, but Specials can be magic, as the Archons prove, so as far as I'm concerned, it's a spell), which it repeatedly and automatically reproduces whenever it's activated. And the point I'm trying to solidify with all this is that Magic Items can have infinite capacity because they have limited scope - they exist solely to repeatedly serve the same purpose, over and over again (perhaps until they break, but the only thing we've seen broke- er, melted is the Sword of Ruthlessness). Magic Items are Magical, but they're still otherwise just like any other kind of Item.

Just to talk the point to death, the "Magic Dust" may have a finite supply, but we've not seen it all used up yet. Moreover, it also had a persistent effect on Jillian when Wanda used it (you know, that thing that the Staff of Suckage probably has for the person using it, based on their own apprehensions), and when Jillian broke the spell, it caused backlash to the caster. Once again speaks to spells, not just Specials, being stored in Magic Items (and reveals that this also has some effect on the caster, if we assume that both it being a spell and the backlash it caused for Wanda when it broke was not just a metaphor for Wanda facing an unforseen, catastrophic turn of events for herself and having a mental breakdown as a result).

Clearly, the user's intent is all that's necessary for a Magic Item to work - and, not unlike riding a mount in Erfworld, the user's intent doesn't have to be particularly focused to count.

fjolnir wrote:A word to note, one of the points someone is using towards Charlie being a mastermind is that he figured out the volcano was uncroaked. I argue that anybody with more magic knowledge than "caster heal that stabber" and "foolamancer veil these stacks" and the basic knowledge that the RCC commanders had could have made this determination without too much difficulty; the RCC command knew that GK had a Thinkamancer (Parson interupts a command meeting with a visual thinkagram to Ansom), they later find out that there's also a dirtamancer (tunnel actions, wanda's save, and shockamancy scroll attack), it is common knowledge about the croakamancer (jillian must have mentioned her once, as well as the VAST amount of uncroaked the side has...), GK has a foolamancer as well but everyone already knows he's somewhere else engaging TV units and Jillian at the time. Massive effect of a magic nature ('multi-hex dirtamancy trap')+thinkamancer and the fact that only 3 casters are at gk at the time= link

You make a good point, and I'm inclined to agree (with the idea Charlie just figured it out on his own, anyway). On the other hand, we have a creative Master-class Croakamancer and a well-read Dirtamancer who didn't think of it before Parson did, and they had been sitting on top of the volcano the whole time - I'd say this points to Charlie just approaching Parson's level of genius by being presented with cause to employ knowledge he already had - which makes him more a deductive thinker than the sort of inductive thinker Parson is. To say that another way, Parson figured out it was possible without seeing it happen first; Charlie had to see it happen to know it was possible. And for both Wanda and Sizemore? They had to figure it out by trial-and-error when they cast it, and both were astounded by the results afterwards.

There's only one, maybe two sides in the original RCC who had Thinkamancers we know about at the time. All of the units that the RCC sides had fielded at GK were wiped out by the volcano uncroaking. Your theory assumes that the information had to have been relayed by the commanders on scene to one of these Thinkamancers (or read by one of those casters in the confusion, assuming they were watching the local G-strings at the time), or by Hat Magic (which we know Jetstone has... but writing a message to send through takes time and clarity and a hard surface, since they have to use pen and paper). I wouldn't put it past Charlie's Archons to have frantically tried to get his attention in all of that action, so that's another Thinkamancer who would have witnessed the event "directly". This is all entirely possible, so after having given it this much thought, I'd say you're probably right.
Last edited by Tachyon on Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't always Think, but when I do - I Think because I can.
Tachyon
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:49 pm
Location: California...

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby fjolnir » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:15 pm

Bunny relays the information that it was a "multihex dirtamancy trap" to Ceasar via a thinkagram after the fact in book 1 so while there were no survivors, some people saw it coming.
User avatar
fjolnir
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby Chance Gardener » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:16 pm

Quincunx wrote:What's all this about the yellow sparkles being Sizemore's spell? A Great Mind that Thinks Alike has targeted the underground kerfluffle, given another caster something to aim for. . .perhaps given another caster the right _stack_ to aim for, and fail to pierce Parson's spell resistance. . .


It is somewhat obvious in the progression of the panels that we see Sizemore's shovel light up, then we see the sparkles go to the new mad hole, then the last few panels we see the wall filled in, board supports left broken (and with the broken pieces left on the ground nearby). Now while nowhere is it expressly stated that the sparkles are being directed by Sizemore, it is less unreasonable to posit that he is in fact the one creating as well as directing them. Instead of positing, let's say the GMtTA doing it, even though they've yet to be shown actually in the Park directly itself yet; in fact last we saw them they were still arriving at an entrance to the Park.

I believe that those who've commented on Sizemore being responsible for the sparkles are more nearer the explanation than for the GMtTA being responsible for the sparkles.
Chance Gardener
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby Tachyon » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:17 pm

fjolnir wrote:Bunny relays the information that it was a "multihex dirtamancy trap" to Ceasar via a thinkagram after the fact in book 1 so while there were no survivors, some people saw it coming.

That just means that they know it was the volcano going off - an active volcano would be a Natural Dirtamancy trap in Erfworld (and in Erfworld logic, it would seem that a "trap" is just a (Natural or otherwise) hazard you didn't know about before it hit you).
I don't always Think, but when I do - I Think because I can.
Tachyon
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:49 pm
Location: California...

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby pSycHOtic chICkeN » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:02 pm

Tachyon wrote:
Oberon wrote:
Tachyon wrote:[On signamancy]1. When Parson was summoned, the scroll used to do it was HUGE. This is visually implied to mean it was very expensive and contained a lot of magic capabilities of a certain set of disciplines, as well as a ton of Juice (this is what you need to summon a fat man with a fat brain ;D).[...] Jojo's scroll by comparison is a very tiny scroll. That doesn't mean it can't be an Unsummon spell, even a very cheap one at that, but I'd imagine it isn't complicated on the scale of the spell that summoned Parson, regardless of what it is, so it would have to take advantage of other means to break the Summon spell's effects and send Parson someplace else.
Do keep in mind that there are two different artists with two distinct styles spanning the two different scrolls you're looking to draw a signamancy significant conclusion from. A simpler conclusion is that different artists have different styles, and that is the reason for the difference in scrolls. After all, the characters also look greatly different over time, and go look at comics 1 through 20 and compare with the last 20 comics if you need visual evidence. We've had characters within the story (Slately, as an example) use signamancy to describe why they look the way that they do. But many other art changes have gone uncommented, because they are real world inflicted rather than in-strip signamancy of any form.

This is something I would not disagree with had Sizemore in Book 1 not made a big deal out of saying "so that's what a 350k Shmucker spell looks like". He did follow this up with "it's not much to see", but stylistically it looks like a larger, fatter version of every scroll we've seen so far except for the Healomancy scrolls Wanda and Jack were carrying when they first "landed" at Jetstone in Book 2 - to a caster, it's just "an expensive scroll" in size; of course Sizemore wouldn't think much of it, but as readers, we can all see it's special. Compare it to the scroll Jojo was carrying; that one is much thinner, and isn't visibly "pulsing" - something else Sizemore makes a point of stating the Summon Parson scroll did when he saw it.

It's one thing for two different artists to come up with separate interpretations of something artistically when they're the only ones in complete control of the content, but here we see writing referring to the visual style of something, and dialogue at that. Call me a nut, but personally I think it's intentional on the writing side of things and not just art, whether it's only being used as a red herring that exists to get our collective goats or not. ;P


That is a possibility. However, it is also possible that Jamie's style exaggerates objects because people are noticing them. So, for example, if one of Rob's characters was drooling over a red Porsche in a parking lot it would look bigger than the cars parked nearby. It would be a monster truck with Porsche curves. The glow from the paint would tint the adjacent cars. Xin is more likely to look at a picture of a real Porsche and then draw a cartoon rendering.
pSycHOtic chICkeN
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby Kreistor » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Tachyon wrote:I think we're assuming all Magic Items function solely on their own Juice, which may be a mistake - Parson's Mathamancy Bracer and the Flying Carpet are both used by non-casters (or at least


Jillian using Magic Hat.
http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F010.jpg

Parson uses Eyebook.
Stanley uses Eyebook.
http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F038.jpg

Parson is given every magic item he can use (Cape, Sword, Staff, bladed bracer).
King Slately being offered the Jet Pack.
Ace modifying the King's scepter into a magic item he can use.
Ace ranting about being able to make accessories to help troops.
Ansom using Arkenpliers (at least helping him dust uncroaked).
You can also see that magical creations, like Battle Bears, obey the orders of non-casters and move without a caster nearby to provide juice.

And the Really Big One...

Stanley uses the Arkenhammer.

Frankly, if you exclude Wands/Staves which every caster seems to have, we have far more Magic Items being used by non-casters than casters.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
User avatar
Kreistor
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:59 pm
Location: K-W, Ontario, Canada

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby Tachyon » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:22 pm

Kreistor wrote:
Tachyon wrote:I think we're assuming all Magic Items function solely on their own Juice, which may be a mistake - Parson's Mathamancy Bracer and the Flying Carpet are both used by non-casters (or at least


Jillian using Magic Hat.
http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F010.jpg

Parson uses Eyebook.
Stanley uses Eyebook.
http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F038.jpg

Parson is given every magic item he can use (Cape, Sword, Staff, bladed bracer).
King Slately being offered the Jet Pack.
Ace modifying the King's scepter into a magic item he can use.
Ace ranting about being able to make accessories to help troops.
Ansom using Arkenpliers (at least helping him dust uncroaked).
You can also see that magical creations, like Battle Bears, obey the orders of non-casters and move without a caster nearby to provide juice.

And the Really Big One...

Stanley uses the Arkenhammer.

Frankly, if you exclude Wands/Staves which every caster seems to have, we have far more Magic Items being used by non-casters than casters.

Yeah. That backs up what I was saying, in fact.

(edit: I will add that if the Blaster Bracer could make an unlimited number of attacks each turn, that would've likewise given Ossomer an unlimited number of Hits, and that would be really broken. This however doesn't have to be the case, as the "task" it performs is limited in scale, and might even have a cooldown or a battery or something... it probably does have one of those things.)

Although, I'm not sure the Arkentools really count here. For one, we're talking about Magic Items, not Artifacts. In addition, Stanley can "use" the Arkenhammer only because he's attuned.

On that note, attunement is a status that as far as I can tell is achieved by any unit having performed a certain level of task (since the books in each side's library serve to display something like "high scores", perhaps Stanley having performed a task of this nature is somewhere in there) as a prerequisite before coming in contact with a given Arkentool (possibly unique prerequisites for each tool, as each of them embodies a different set of Erfworld's magical disciplines).

It would seem to me also that the wielder of an Arkentool needs to have gleaned some specific knowledge about the basis of its functions (perhaps Wanda knowing how to Uncroak makes her competent to Decrypt). Stanley seems to respect and comprehend Rock, an effect the Arkenhammer can produce. It isn't necessarily magic as Erfworlders think of it; it is Titanic, and thereby "divine". Rock could just be a "divine" unit special, and therefore be hidden, just like Parson's stats.

Faith in the Titans alone is clearly not a prerequisite, or Ansom and any number of other units would've been able to use the 'pliers, no problemo.

... but I think attunement is a debate for another time. Just puttin' what I think out there.
I don't always Think, but when I do - I Think because I can.
Tachyon
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:49 pm
Location: California...

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby effataigus » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:25 pm

Tachyon wrote:It's almost certain that, knowing its function, she was using it while deploying magical air defenses to ensure that only units with an Archery special could hit her; gives her a major tactical advantage since Jillian's squad couldn't cross the hex boundary and land for combat.


I think Jillian's squad could cross the zone boundary since they were on turn at the time, but it would have been nice against the Archons.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
User avatar
effataigus
 
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby Tachyon » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 pm

Hmm. Seem to recall we saw Jillian's squad flying into range right after Parson finished his breakfast, before that combat. Yeah, prolly was their turn. Good catch.

(edit: I just noticed something, again. See panel 12: http://www.erfworld.com/wp-content/uplo ... k1/121.jpg - does that look like the wreckage of the Staff of Suckage, up and to the right of the 'pliers and Wanda? If so, color me confused... either 1. I'm wrong, or 2. a new one was commissioned...)

Also, seems we've seen the Staff reflect an Archon blast, after all - panel 9 on the page I linked already. Doesn't seem to have protected Wanda's uncroaked Unipegataur, either.
Last edited by Tachyon on Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
I don't always Think, but when I do - I Think because I can.
Tachyon
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:49 pm
Location: California...

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby Oberon » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:01 am

Kreistor wrote:Frankly, if you exclude Wands/Staves which every caster seems to have, we have far more Magic Items being used by non-casters than casters.
ITYM wands/staves/shovels. 8-)
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby Kalak » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:11 am

Maybe this has been discussed in the last few comics, but why aren't there tons more casters in that little dirt hallway? There are at least 4 that we see that notice him, and one of them shouts and alerts people to Parson's presence. They didn't seem happy to see him, just like before, so are they just going to let him go? They shouldn't know where the dirt trap is supposed to open back up, so I don't think they're waiting for him at the other end.
User avatar
Kalak
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:07 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby Kreistor » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:19 am

Kalak wrote:Maybe this has been discussed in the last few comics, but why aren't there tons more casters in that little dirt hallway? There are at least 4 that we see that notice him, and one of them shouts and alerts people to Parson's presence. They didn't seem happy to see him, just like before, so are they just going to let him go? They shouldn't know where the dirt trap is supposed to open back up, so I don't think they're waiting for him at the other end.


I suspect the GMTTA that just entered Portal Park may have somethign to do with that. Master Class casters are going to be able to handle more than their own numbers. But we should see next comic, or find out in a text update from Sizemore or Janis later.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
User avatar
Kreistor
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:59 pm
Location: K-W, Ontario, Canada

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby multilis » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:09 am

It is possible each "hero" (Caster/Warlord) has only one primary weapons slot, and that both the pliers and Staff of Suckage require that slot. So when Wanda took the pliers she had to give up the staff.
multilis
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 65

Postby Tachyon » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:38 am

I'm not sure the GMTTA are in Portal Park personally. Why?

1. They're Thinkamancers. They don't have to be in the room to use their powers, at least not to view things remotely, and possibly not for other things.

2. While being in the park doesn't risk their visible neutrality per se, it's possible that, much like Foolamancy, they are able to "fool" others by preventing them from seeing things (not via illusion, but by intercepting/altering thoughts before they can be processed; we've seen as much with the Vulcan Death Grip move that pseudo-Spock used, as that inhibits consciousness, as well as Maggie's cure-a-headache spell; Wanda has a spell that can cause a headache, and it only makes sense that it involves Thinkamancy on some level, Naturally perhaps, as "Croakamancy comes from the mind"; Hippiemancy is mind-affecting also, if not in the same way - it produces a very potent signal that seemingly is very hard to ignore, which in a word is hypnotism... or at least on the level of a mind-affecting drug). They'd be at less of a risk personally by not being there in person; their battlefield is primarily the mind, and at any rate it's not their style to be there in person. In addition, Psi-ops was mentioned as a possible course of action by Parson at one point, and Charlie has shown himself to be a master at altering others' perceptions (see: every Thinkagram he's ever been a party to, ever).

3. Given points 1 and 2, it's a safe assumption that what Maggie intended by contacting them was to protect Parson's passage by screening for him mentally. This does not necessarily involve in-person combat, or vulcan death grips, or whatever. Plus, they're Thinkamancers; it's just what they'd do.
I don't always Think, but when I do - I Think because I can.
Tachyon
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:49 pm
Location: California...

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests