Book 2 – Page 67

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 67

Postby Hiai » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:53 pm

I so long for Parson to say something about the Spanish Inquisition...as the only genre savvy guy there, he's the natural straight man. And surely that little exchange between them, about the Chief Weapons, would fluster the rest of the GMTTA and throw them off balance.

Also, on the Clarence Thomas/Thurgood Marshall/Dennis Haysbert debate- one of Dennis Haysbert's early breakout roles was an appearance on the sitcom Night Court as a convict penpal of the public defender who breaks out of prison for the sole purpose of a romantic rendevous with the court bailiff. Clarence Thomas was the Supreme Court nominee with the most controversial nomination period in modern history, with accusations of sexual harassment, etc. And Clarence Thomas' espoused political viewpoints are distinctly conservative, while Dennis Haysbert has been actively open about supporting liberal views, even participating in liberal candidates' campaigns, and is famous both for claiming that Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, and Colin Powell are his political heroes, and for claiming that his role as the first black president on the TV series 24 helped Barack Obama get elected.

Mixing the two together for a Thinkamancer seems just about Rob's skewed sense of humor, don't you think? lol
Hiai

Postby Beeskee » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:14 pm

The.Healing.Mage wrote:Sizemore has some capacity for lowering city costs, Parson may not want to risk him getting stuck with the army. But I think you're on to something with the defensive-unit. Dirtmancy seems to me most like being in the Army Corps of Engineers or a TF2 Engineer - a bit of offensive power, but they really shine through with entrenchment, traps, construction, and robots (irl) / turrets (TF2) / Rock Golems (erf).

I think that's the best comparison of his abilities. Remember we've seen Sizemore personally croak a small army, between his golems and traps and everything else, he wiped out RCC1's entire underground attack force singlehandedly. I imagine in a pinch (out of juice and with no golems or backup) he could probably smack people in the face with that shovel, which would probably be unpleasant, ;) but his main combat forte is in dirtamancy traps and providing support and healing for his golems.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby The Pink Warlord » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:23 pm

Anima?

Oh my God, has Rob also read" Lucifer and the Buiscuit Hammer" aka serious contender for the title of best comic ever?

D:
The Pink Warlord

Postby Dr Pepper » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:29 pm

The.Healing.Mage wrote:
Beeskee wrote:I'm not sure if the other casters (GMTTA or otherwise) would hurt Sizemore, or what would happen after Parson and whoever else enters Spacerock. I imagine they'd leave him alone after that, but if enough folks figure out what is going on they may take out their anger or frustration on Sizemore if Parson became unavailable.

Another alternative is that dirtamancers may not have direct offensive damage spells, and so Parson may be excluding him from the calculations simply because it doesn't matter. We've seen him use scrolls but I don't think that carnymancy scroll deals direct damage. Stacking does add defensive bonuses but I don't think Parson wants to use Sizemore as a meat shield.

Sizemore has some capacity for lowering city costs, Parson may not want to risk him getting stuck with the army. But I think you're on to something with the defensive-unit. Dirtmancy seems to me most like being in the Army Corps of Engineers or a TF2 Engineer - a bit of offensive power, but they really shine through with entrenchment, traps, construction, and robots (irl) / turrets (TF2) / Rock Golems (erf).

Dirtamancy starts with the element of Earth, but it expands into alchemy/chemistry. Sizemore has shown some affinity with Fire as well. Someone else suggested that perhaps Dirtamancy is really the control of the natural sciences. A master class Dirtamancer (Grand Lyell?) might be able to produce storms and tidal waves.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Rakullu1 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:57 pm

Dr Pepper wrote:
The.Healing.Mage wrote:
Beeskee wrote:I'm not sure if the other casters (GMTTA or otherwise) would hurt Sizemore, or what would happen after Parson and whoever else enters Spacerock. I imagine they'd leave him alone after that, but if enough folks figure out what is going on they may take out their anger or frustration on Sizemore if Parson became unavailable.

Another alternative is that dirtamancers may not have direct offensive damage spells, and so Parson may be excluding him from the calculations simply because it doesn't matter. We've seen him use scrolls but I don't think that carnymancy scroll deals direct damage. Stacking does add defensive bonuses but I don't think Parson wants to use Sizemore as a meat shield.

Sizemore has some capacity for lowering city costs, Parson may not want to risk him getting stuck with the army. But I think you're on to something with the defensive-unit. Dirtmancy seems to me most like being in the Army Corps of Engineers or a TF2 Engineer - a bit of offensive power, but they really shine through with entrenchment, traps, construction, and robots (irl) / turrets (TF2) / Rock Golems (erf).

Dirtamancy starts with the element of Earth, but it expands into alchemy/chemistry. Sizemore has shown some affinity with Fire as well. Someone else suggested that perhaps Dirtamancy is really the control of the natural sciences. A master class Dirtamancer (Grand Lyell?) might be able to produce storms and tidal waves.

You know, I never thought of it that way, but you may be right. Dirtmancy may control the "terrain type." Whether that terrain is a volano, lava lake, rice fields, city(may be a terrain type), mountians, lakes, ocean...
Rakullu1

Postby Rakullu1 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:11 pm

Fishman wrote:
Rakullu1 wrote:If a predictamancer tells you to stack because she predicted you stacking... and you then stack...are you stacking because the predictamancer tells you to? Or were you going to anyway and the predictamancer just told you about it?
Yes.

To both?
Rakullu1

Postby Oberon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:02 pm

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:That is a curious bit - Parson doesn't sound like he has factored in Sizemore, and Janis didn't say to include him in Parson's next lot of calcs... me they don't think he is much good in such a fight? I guess his best fighting feats take place below ground and/or with preparation. Not sure what Marie brings to a fight, though Janis is certainly useful.
Sizemore is already stacked, that's why he doesn't need to be stacked. I'm sure Parson already factored him in, being a GK unit and all.
Hiai wrote:Also, on the Clarence Thomas/Thurgood Marshall/Dennis Haysbert debate- [...]
It shouldn't be a debate. The author, as pointed out a great many times previously, loves his multi-layered references.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby dwp222 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:36 pm

"Distorted thoughtbubbles" -- I love it. If it's a reference I don't get it, but it's hilarious either way!
dwp222
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby fjolnir » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:50 pm

New pool, how many dead thinkamancers are going to end up on the other side of the portal with parson?
fjolnir

Postby DoctorJest » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:53 pm

Dr Pepper wrote: Sizemore has shown some affinity with Fire as well.

When, exactly?
DoctorJest

Postby DoctorJest » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:53 pm

Rakullu1 wrote:
Fishman wrote:
Rakullu1 wrote:If a predictamancer tells you to stack because she predicted you stacking... and you then stack...are you stacking because the predictamancer tells you to? Or were you going to anyway and the predictamancer just told you about it?
Yes.

To both?

Yes.
DoctorJest

Postby Kalak » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:43 am

Maggie: "What sort of distorted Thoughtbubbles have you been thinking?"

That kind of sounds like "what kind of weed have you been smoking?" to me.
Kalak

Postby Zeku » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:44 am

The only documented form of predictamancy in the real world is the type that is propagated through action and violence. The subatomic world is (possibly) too wonky to be predictable.

It would be interesting to see if Predictamancers are the movers and shakers of Erfworld, and whether they keep that a secret.

The unexpected nature of the chaps in panel 3 almost seems like foreshadowing. What kind of magic cannot be predicted? Are we seeing Weirdomancers for the first time? "Motion/numbers" sounds like applied science, so probably not.

Did we ever establish what kind of magic Portals are? Hat Magic?
Zeku

Postby coyo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:14 am

on so many levels ....
"Awsome!"
Thanks Xin and Rob!
. o O (we're just approximations of ourselves)
. o O (imagination is)
coyo
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby GaryThunder » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:56 am

I'll admit, this is the first time I've seen the tactical use of prophecy. I'm impressed. Incidentally, I was talking to myself (a habit I have when driving alone) about the new comic, and I got to the end bit where Marie suggests that her and Janis stack with Parson. I said aloud "Janis, yes, but what use could a Predictamancer have in combat?"

Then I stopped, blinked a couple times, and said "Did I just ask myself what use a future-telling mage could have in a battle? That's the dumbest question I've ever come up with." And it was. Sheesh.
GaryThunder

Postby Thu » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:00 am

Was I the only one who was disappointed that the last panel didn't have Marie saying "It is your destiny, I have foreseen it"
Thu

Postby Zeromedeiros » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:04 am

Long time lurker...first time poster

Just registered on the forum to say:

OMF...RED SPY IS ON THE BASE!

The gmtta should be cautionous with their intel now..

Ps.:i would really love to see a soldier shockmancer now...maggots
Zeromedeiros

Postby Fiendishrabbit » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:46 am

Zeromedeiros wrote:OMF...RED SPY IS ON THE BASE!

Sizemore: He's sapping my sentry!
Fiendishrabbit

Postby ryanroyce » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:45 am

TheTuna wrote:
The.Healing.Mage wrote:I call shenanigans on that "prediction."

Edit: Harry Dresden would be a Shockmancer, especially since it's a subclass of Naughtymancy. It's a shame there's no "pyromancy", since that would fit him like a glove.

Oooh, good point; that'd definitely be him. Wonder what Willow might be; Thinkamancer, perhaps? It's a tough fit.

I really love all these 'mancer character cameos, they're great fun. Have we seen the Spy before?

Actually, I expect P.I. Dresden to be a Findamancer with a powerful Shockamancy item or three (his blasting rod, staff, and shield bracelet). Perhaps he's even a part of the "Spencer" caster from Unaroyal. :)
ryanroyce

Postby the_tick_rules » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:52 pm

Everyone wants a piece of Parson.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions