158 The battle for Gobwin Knob, page 145

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: 158 The battle for Gobwin Knob

Postby eaten by a grue » Sat May 02, 2009 11:47 pm

I was wondering if Stanley was still in charge. Gobwin Knob, Stanley's last city, was destroyed. Doesn't that change his status to barbarian?
eaten by a grue

Postby usolangto » Sun May 03, 2009 2:01 am

Shadow of the Lotus wrote: The arkenpliers seem too powerful in comparison to the arkenhammer and arkendish. We probably don't know everything with the arkendish, and it seems likely that there are powers associated with the arkenhammer that we're not aware of yet (or Stanley for that matter).

Okay how about an arkentools discussion

it appears each arken tool is linked to a certain creature type

arkenhammer = dwagons
arkenpliers = croaked
arkendish = the angels?
usolangto

Postby Mal » Sun May 03, 2009 4:11 am

I gotta say, I'm digging the skulls much better than the radishes. oh and yay for WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!
Mal, Professional Patsy! You can blame it alllll on me :D
Mal

Postby KeiranHalcyon31 » Sun May 03, 2009 4:24 am

eaten by a grue wrote:I was wondering if Stanley was still in charge. Gobwin Knob, Stanley's last city, was destroyed. Doesn't that change his status to barbarian?

It would seem that the city was merely reduced to level 0, not destroyed outright. If it was destroyed, I suspect Parson et. al. would have been trapped in the Magic Kingdom.

So many comments:

If I were Parson (to Ansom): "Has it occured to you that maybe the Titans don't give a flying boop about what happens on Erfworld?"

Two things I'm looking forward to: Stanley's reaction to Ansom, and Ansom's reaction to Stanley's reaction to Ansom.

Speculation on Ansom's condition - a free-thinking, 10th level, 0-upkeep warlord, who so far has only shown loyalty to Parson. His memories may be largely intact, and even his personality seems similar (good old fascist Ansom), but his world view has been inverted. A combination of the magic that brought him back and respect for the man who beat him? It seems a bit beyond the scope of croakamancy as we know it - it seems like it would have to have an element of thinkamancy in there to preserve parts of his mind, but alter others - but there was an artifact involved, after all.

Further speculation on Ansom's condition - Whatever sort of unit he is, there seems to be a consensus that it's rather overpowered. Perhaps he can't level ever again? Or croaks if Wanda croaks? Or some other disadvantage we have yet to discover?

Speculation on the Arkenpliers - They do seema mite more powerful than the hammer, in the grand scheme. But, Stanley is not a caster; Wanda is. So it makes sense that the combination of her spellcasting and the Pliers would kick ass. It might also be that the decrypt ability is limited-use (once per month would sound appropriate, or maybe "maximum of one uber-uncroaked-warlord per side").

Things will be interesting going forward...

(EDIT: NINJA SHIELD! Why didn't anyone thing of this feature sooner?)
KeiranHalcyon31

Postby Mikalyaran » Sun May 03, 2009 5:34 am

I'm thinking book two might pick back up with Parson et al having retaken some of the cities which were lost by stanley and his parade of pretty boy warlords. They may have an army now but they still have only one city where other sides, presumably, have many cities. Starting their gives GW some punch but gives the other sides time to rebuild their armies some as well. Also they may very well just got off after some bit of info they have on the 4th arkentool. Knowing Parsons cleverness and capability they may do both. Our author and artist may go with telling the story from the other side though, maybe from within one of the former rcc factions, or perhaps show us a different area of erfworld all together. Regardless im looking forward to book two immensly.
Mikalyaran
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby dragonus45 » Sun May 03, 2009 6:15 am

IT might seem to be a game breaker with the mass zero upkeep army, but how does that scale to any other tools. Its possible that Charlies Archons could put of quite the fight.

On the subject of the 4th tool, what if it was a hippiemancer artifact.
http://dragonus45.mybrute.com

My aol is link32190 hit me up some time i love to chat
dragonus45

Postby Subtext » Sun May 03, 2009 6:17 am

I wonder if Archons retain ther abilities in the same way when they are decrypted.
Subtext

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Sun May 03, 2009 9:04 am

I don't think it would be a bad idea to make Ansom chief warlord. Think of Transylvito style with dwagons (and archons?). And Stanley's first order could be "do what parson says".
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby CourtJester » Sun May 03, 2009 1:36 pm

Ansom overpowered? Perhaps... but recall that he is uncroaked, despite his lively demeanor. The Arkenplier's were especially deadly to the dead in Ansom's hands; who's to say that there isn't 'mancy out there that has the same effect? The undead are famously weak against "holy" magic...
"You hear the whispers in the castle hall, 'How could the king have passed away?'
The Court plays dumb and the queen keeps mum,
but listen close, and you can hear the Jester say..."
CourtJester

Postby Hobgobwin » Sun May 03, 2009 1:44 pm

He might not be an uncroaked. Maybe he was resurrected?
Hobgobwin

Postby CourtJester » Sun May 03, 2009 2:00 pm

Hobgobwin wrote:He might not be an uncroaked. Maybe he was resurrected?

That may be, but, why then would he not require upkeep?
"You hear the whispers in the castle hall, 'How could the king have passed away?'
The Court plays dumb and the queen keeps mum,
but listen close, and you can hear the Jester say..."
CourtJester

Postby Hobgobwin » Sun May 03, 2009 2:52 pm

Decrypteds might be different from uncroaked.
Hobgobwin

Postby THE ARKENHAMMER » Sun May 03, 2009 3:21 pm

Do you think it's possible for Misty or Bogroll to be decrypted, or is a body necessary? Can the arkenpliers turn uncroaked to decrypted? I'm thinking decrypted are definitely different. They can have deep philosophical discussions, or at least explain their motives, and they don't rot.

Poor Jillian. She finally escapes Wanda only to let beloved Ansom fall into her clutches.
Sometimes you need to tame a dwagon. Sometimes you just need to bust a nut.
THE ARKENHAMMER

Postby kreszantas » Sun May 03, 2009 3:27 pm

Ansom has not been resurrected, if that was the case he would have an upkeep, therefore is a sentient undead (his own will and ability to think as he once did) the skulls that are on his jumpsuit could have a duplicate meaning
1) "I was decrypted by Wanda with the ArkenPliers into a new never seen before on Erf unit" (as they both elude to in 157)
2) That he is still an uncroaked unit and would have the weaknesses of it. Right now we have not been given enough information to know for sure that UnAnsom is nothing more than a uncroaked warlord like before just that can follow orders that are more complex (Maggie's statement about rudementry orders to Parson when giving the fall back orders)

edit: fix the quotes in line #1
Huh? What was that sound, oh nevermind it was nothing.
kreszantas

Postby BarGamer » Sun May 03, 2009 3:36 pm

KeiranHalcyon31 wrote:It would seem that the city was merely reduced to level 0, not destroyed outright. If it was destroyed, I suspect Parson et. al. would have been trapped in the Magic Kingdom.

KungfuPanda wrote:"Congratulations, there is now a level zero." *Pinches out the flame(war).*

I also love the new Ansom. I hope he stays this way. And also, kills Jillian, but they capture/decrypt Vinny. I am worried that now there's just no way for Parson to lose, except by Stanley pulling yet another bone-headed move, and thus there is no tension. Granted, they are starting pretty much from scratch. Here's hoping that his little drive and therapy session with Jack is enough...

Or, the authors could switch viewpoints on us, and show us Erf from the viewpoints of the new Coalition/some other side, and we watch as Parson totally conquers the world while they stand around scratching their heads, and we wildly speculate how Parson did it... That would be cool.

Mikalyaran wrote:Starting their gives GW...

Someone's been playing too much Guild Wars... XD (Not that I don't approve, but I'm sure you meant "GK." XD)

THE ARKENHAMMER wrote:They can have deep philosophical discussions, or at least explain their motives, and they don't rot. Poor Jillian. She finally escapes Wanda only to let beloved Ansom fall into her clutches.

Their arguements would still stink, though. XD Also, I can totally predict how Jillian will answer that one: "I loved Prince Ansom of Jetstone. You are Captain Ansom of Gobwin Knob. I will stab your eye out with my salad fork, if need be."
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Dude » Sun May 03, 2009 4:13 pm

Would people please stop using "Decrypted" in regard to Ansom's new status as a unit?
It doesn't mean what most of you probably think it means (hint: it has nothing to do with a crypt). It means decoded.

How about you use reanimated instead, and stop sounding stupid?

Ansom looks pretty determined in the second to last panel. He seems proud to serve under Lord Hamster. My opinion is that it has more to do with being defeated by him, than it has with a side-effect of his reanimation.
Dude

Postby Infidel » Sun May 03, 2009 4:19 pm

Dude wrote:Would people please stop using "Decrypted" in regard to Ansom's new status as a unit?
It doesn't mean what most of you probably think it means (hint: it has nothing to do with a crypt). It means decoded.

How about you use reanimated instead, and stop sounding stupid?

It's a new word. Deal with it.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby BarGamer » Sun May 03, 2009 4:23 pm

Dude wrote:Would people please stop using "Decrypted" in regard to Ansom's new status as a unit?

How about you use re-animated instead, and stop sounding stupid?

"Stop saying that!" "You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means." I hereby propose we call whatever-Ansom-is "Decwypted." Let's see if we can get another "Princess Bride" line in this thread. XD I'm hoping for "Inconceivable!" or even "My name is not Inigo Montoya. You did not kill my father. Prepare to die anyway."
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer

Postby The Dark Fiddler » Sun May 03, 2009 4:26 pm

How about we call him "UBEREPICNEWUNIT"
Oh how I wish I could be a tool.

Alas, I mere middle schooler am I, and the resources I lack to pay the fee.

Boop the economy, by the way.

A tool in spirit, I suppose.
The Dark Fiddler

Postby BarGamer » Sun May 03, 2009 4:38 pm

The Dark Fiddler wrote:How about we call him "UBEREPICNEWUNIT"

Nah, "Decwypted" is shorter.
BarGamer

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions