Book 2 - Text Updates 053

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 053

Postby Grimnir » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:23 pm

Left one is Rachel, and the the one to the right is Phoebe, no?
Grimnir

Postby Sixty » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:31 pm

Klivian wrote:I normally root for the Archon characters, but I'm hoping these three get vaporized, simply because I hated Friends

Also stunned that we would get clear confirmation that King World was Charlie's doing

Vanna did mention that Charlie had freed her from the link immediately after Kingworld was cast so I think we already had confirmation of that.

What interested me in this update was the lame runner metaphor. In a world where everyone is fully healed up at the beginning of their turn and all units seem to pop fully grown up, fully healthy, and fully knowledgeable about their role, I wonder where Erfworld would even have the concept of a lame runner. It could be just background knowledge they popped with that they never stopped to consider made no sense in their world or since Charlie was the one that came up with it (and told it to the archons) could it be a bit of evidence to the "Charlie is from Stupidworld" theory?
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby madmaw » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:43 pm

I suspect this fight is just getting started, once Slately dies/escapes the real battle begins. But what could Charlie do?

--- Open Aggression ---

* Reveal some archons hidden somewhere close by and attack (not much they can do off-turn, but Charlie moves before GK tomorrow), Charlie has threatened to do this twice already, once to GK in book 1, and once to Haggar in a text update
* Ally with one or more sides and attack in a conventional siege

--- Hidden Aggression ---

* Force the remains of Haggar to march on Spacerock on this turn (assuming they have move, but presumably Charlie would have thought of this and kept them near if it was his plan)
* Pay off casters to prevent any possibility of escape through the magic kingdom (although that seems unlikely to be possible given Parson's latest stunt anyway), or have casters loyal to him attack through the Spacerock portal (which might be feasible now that a precedent has been set)
* Stage a decapitation attack on GK using one of their neighbours (or just do it himself), revealing that winning the battle for Spacerock was never the objective, just a distraction to get troops out of GK
madmaw
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Zeku » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:49 pm

mispost
Last edited by Zeku on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeku

Postby Jallorn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:54 pm

Zeku wrote:I'm 90% sure I know who/what/the true story about Charlie is now.

I was looking back through the archives, and finally put some details together.

I won't say anything because it would just detract from the comic....so, there's no point to this post I guess.

Still, I'll be very excited if I understand things correctly.

What's the point of mentioning it then?
Jallorn

Postby Zeku » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:02 pm

Your post is also superfluous. I'll delete mine.
Zeku

Postby Kizmet » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:07 pm

Oddball options:
- could you name another ruler as heir? can a caster be an heir?
- GK has no heir either... kill stanley.

oblig monty python "get on with it" regarding the tower.
Kizmet

Postby El_Chupacabra » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Klivian wrote:I normally root for the Archon characters, but I'm hoping these three get vaporized, simply because I hated Friends

I'd resurrect them with my Arkentool....

(Oh, surely I'M not the first one to think that?!)
El_Chupacabra

Postby mp122984 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:07 pm

Sixty wrote:What interested me in this update was the lame runner metaphor. In a world where everyone is fully healed up at the beginning of their turn and all units seem to pop fully grown up, fully healthy, and fully knowledgeable about their role, I wonder where Erfworld would even have the concept of a lame runner. It could be just background knowledge they popped with that they never stopped to consider made no sense in their world or since Charlie was the one that came up with it (and told it to the archons) could it be a bit of evidence to the "Charlie is from Stupidworld" theory?

I'm guessing a lame runner in Erfworld is someone who's become one through injury.
mp122984

Postby TheMutant » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:24 pm

As regards the lame runner metaphor- it might be worth noting that the Archons clearly understand what it means, so unless Charlie personally explains his alleged Stupidworld references, that's probably not evidence.
Join the Erflings fanart gallery on DeviantArt!

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.
TheMutant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Dr Pepper » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:57 pm

Actually, up to about 30 minutes ago, there were 4 Archons in the group. Then the fourth tried to do a panty shot on Artemis, who replied with the most awesome and cringeworthy critical hit ever.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby The.Healing.Mage » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:36 pm

Dr Pepper wrote:Actually, up to about 30 minutes ago, there were 4 Archons in the group. Then the fourth tried to do a panty shot on Artemis, who replied with the most awesome and cringeworthy critical hit ever.

You sumbitch, that can't be unseen. Now I'm going to not sleep for 72 hours until I hallucinate something less terrifyingly than blood coming out of... wait a minute. Damnit. Not helping.

Also, inb4 bi the way jokes about Artemis. Not that we have any indications that anyone but Jillian and Wanda actually are, and my guess is Wanda only rolls straight at all to control Stanley.
The.Healing.Mage

Postby Rakullu1 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:51 am

The.Healing.Mage wrote:
Dr Pepper wrote:Actually, up to about 30 minutes ago, there were 4 Archons in the group. Then the fourth tried to do a panty shot on Artemis, who replied with the most awesome and cringeworthy critical hit ever.

You sumbitch, that can't be unseen. Now I'm going to not sleep for 72 hours until I hallucinate something less terrifyingly than blood coming out of... wait a minute. Damnit. Not helping.

Also, inb4 bi the way jokes about Artemis. Not that we have any indications that anyone but Jillian and Wanda actually are, and my guess is Wanda only rolls straight at all to control Stanley.

I don't know. She might roll a 20 for Jack
Rakullu1

Postby Infidel » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:50 am

Zeku wrote:Your post is also superfluous. I'll delete mine.

Don't delete your post once someone responds to it. It is a breach of forum etiquette.

We all stick our foots in our mouth. But deleting your post is nothing but a back handed attempt to avoid responsibility for your mistake, and the opportunity to grow from it, and instead attempt to make the person that replied look bad.

A corollary to "don't delete your posts once replied to", is don't edit your posts once they have been quoted.
---

Yay, cool update. Thank you Rob!
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Kreistor » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:06 am

madmaw wrote:* Reveal some archons hidden somewhere close by and attack (not much they can do off-turn, but Charlie moves before GK tomorrow), Charlie has threatened to do this twice already, once to GK in book 1, and once to Haggar in a text update

In book 1, his goal was to capture Parson. He cannot achieve that now. Parson, should he get to Jetstone, can flee back to GK through the MK, as can Wanda and Jack. What else could he achieve except losing his own Units fighting Stanley's units? It would wreck his rep as a merc, and the chance of coming out with a profit is minimal.

* Ally with one or more sides and attack in a conventional siege

There are no known armies unaccounted for. Haggar is mostly wrecked, Jetstone's is getting wrecked. And again, what goal can Charlie achieve?

* Force the remains of Haggar to march on Spacerock on this turn (assuming they have move, but presumably Charlie would have thought of this and kept them near if it was his plan)

That trick only works once. You cna't re-use blackmail without the target saying, "Frack you. Do your worst, because we're not going to be your slaves."

Pay off casters to prevent any possibility of escape through the magic kingdom (although that seems unlikely to be possible given Parson's latest stunt anyway), or have casters loyal to him attack through the Spacerock portal (which might be feasible now that a precedent has been set)

If Parson's violation of convention is viewed as a violation, it will not end the convention. If the Convention fails, Sides will start walling off the MK portals on their City side, and no caster will ever get to go there again, or much less leave.

* Stage a decapitation attack on GK using one of their neighbours (or just do it himself), revealing that winning the battle for Spacerock was never the objective, just a distraction to get troops out of GK

An army that large will be noticed. And don't forget: with Jetstone captured, Wanda and Jack can use the MK to return to GK. You've still got Sizemore, twolls, Stanley, and his Artefact bonus, etc. As well as the most defensible City in the entire world.

IN general, you are right in some fo these: Charlie could do them. But he lacks motivation. It's highly unlikely he wil interfere in such obvious ways.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby Zeku » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:29 am

I'll be the one to decide if I have made a mistake. If I delete my post, or edit it, or post My Little Pony, it will be at my sole discretion.

I certainly won't be explaining my motives, or apologizing for them.

We used to have a forum climate based entirely on the enjoyment of the comic, and respect for others, but over the months I've seen presumptuous people trickle in. Now, I see posts explaining someone's personal political views, insecure rants about who or what is right, turning a friendly discussion into an argument, and now this, "post counseling."

Make no mistake, saying that I've "figured Charlie out," and then realizing I can't explain myself without unraveling a lot of the author's work, is a very weak post. I, and I alone, determined what to do with it.

The other, equally content-less post referring to it, will be handled at that poster's sole discretion as well.

Your contribution is even weaker, and to return the favor you did for me, I suggest you delete it.
Zeku

Postby badninja » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:34 am

Why oh why do I feel that Charlie has more then one more thing planned coming up? He is not going to like how Parson created another turn for himself and now is taking a short cut to battle. Charlie's battle plan is kinda clear keep GK from taking over to much of the world until he finds a way to keep them in check. I think that the comment about Charlie not wanting to bring together the Tools is rather ominous, could doing be a really bad idea? Stanley and Wanda are not the brightest bulbs out there and Parson is running around in the dark with very little information, sure he has some but this sounds important. Nice update Rob hope your convention goes well.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:03 am

While Charlie's motives are still a little hazy, the odds of him performing another caster link are (in my opinion) low. For 2 reasons:
  • We've seen pretty clearly that he doesn't want to DIRECTLY participate, but rather change circumstances in a way that "should" benefit whoever he's backing.
  • We're not yet sure WHO he wants to actually win. Indications thus far have been that he's rooting for Jetstone, but he's changed his stance before and may very well again.
However, because it's still possible, here are a few of my ideas about what could be achieved with possible Caster Links:
  • Charlie/Healomancer: Heal all Jetsone units in the hex, prevent remaining units from being decrypted, or both.
  • Charlie/Dollamancer: Create massive force of cloth golems/war machines? Or perhaps a powerful magic item?
  • Charlie/Dittomancer: Create a true copy of Slately in another location, so the original could die without the side being destroyed (or alternately, create a believable copy that could be killed and trick GK into not destroying the tower.)
  • Charlie/Dittomancer/Turnamancer: Turn the decrypted Jetstone units back to Jetstone or to Charlie/Arkendish? (Arkentool vs. Arkentool)
  • Charlie/Hat-Magician/other: Powerful enchantment on Slately's Crown
  • Charlie/Changeamancer: (assumes Bowie is involved) Designate an heir without schmuckers?
Any other possible suggestions, or thoughts on my ideas?
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby name lips » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:47 am

Upskirts on the outskirts is my new favorite phrase.
name lips

Postby Oberon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:57 am

"'Don't bet on the lame runner, unless you know you can shoot the healthy one.'," quoted Phoebe. She sounded wistful.

"Yeah," said Monica. "When you know a side's going to fall, you don't give them anything. You take what they have left."

Rachel nodded. "Corollary to 17, 'Betting on the healthy runner and shooting the lame one is the better bet.'"
This is a poor gambling analogy. You get much better odds, and therefore make much more money, if you bet on the lame runner and shoot the healthy one.

Unless failure is a very high probability i.e. that betting on the healthy runner and shooting the lame one is best because even if you fail to shoot the lame one you're likely to win, the best return is still to bet on the lame runner and shoot the healthy one, as measured in return over time.

0beron the avatar thief wrote:We've seen pretty clearly that he doesn't want to DIRECTLY participate, but rather change circumstances in a way that "should" benefit whoever he's backing.
GK has all those archons who can report that Charlie was linked with Vanna for the Kingworld (*ptui!*) spell. Not directly participating is right out the window now, as a useful position.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions