Book 2 – Page 70

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 70

Postby gameboy1234 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:34 pm

1Luv wrote:Also, I agree with above. this isn't a 'smart' decision on Parson's part, this is an emotional one.He's thinking 'I don't want to be chief warlord and command people that might die, but if I'm stuck with it, i'ma be there so I can see the effect of my commands'.

I think this, but besides "emotion" also that Parson may have an agenda that hasn't been revealed to us yet. Perhaps Parson really wants to level up, and the idea of leading from the front is just a Duty bound excuse to let him do it. Or perhaps he wants to get away from Stanley. Or he sees some other advantage other than just "fight with the troops."

I'm not really sure what it is. It just might be boredom and desire for change. He's been couped up in GK now for nearly a year, I'd bet he just wants some thing to change.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Kalak » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:34 pm

I am with gameboy1234 on this one. Parson has got to have some other motive. That would work better than "new rule," "Parson is dumb," "everyone in Erfworld is dumb," or any other motive that has been discussed. I like my Parson to be smarter than me.
Kalak

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:25 pm

Jerry McClain wrote:The best example of leadership is leadership by example.

Nelson Mandela wrote:You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.

I don't want my protagonist to make the smartest moves for his own survival. I want him to be a hero. Heroes do not sit in the background, letting others die at their orders.

If Parson does not become active in the world, he becomes Charlie. He must be the anti-Charlie, moving throughout Erfworld, touching and changing those he meets through his wit, his skill, his courage, and his kindness, not sitting and manipulating from afar.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby effataigus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:47 am

Also confused as to why this was an illustrated update. Hopefully this will become clear in time.

MarbitChow wrote:I don't want my protagonist to make the smartest moves for his own survival. I want him to be a hero. Heroes do not sit in the background, letting others die at their orders.

I also wouldn't want my protagonist to try to make the smartest moves for his own survival. However, I would want *this* protagonist making the smartest moves for his side's/his peoples' survival. Parson stands accused of failing to do the latter rather than failing to do the former (I assume, not having read the forums as well as usual... if not, consider him so accused (again) now).

I guess it comes down to whether you consider Ansom's rush on the walls to be heroic. Yes, he kept a handful of units from dying (probably)... perhaps he even lead by example (in a leadership bonus sense). He kept the coalition from dissolving, but he also almost died (arguably did die if you follow the chain of events up through his having to take Parson hostage) and got his side saddled under the yolk of a crushing debt from which they still haven't recovered (I think).

I view Parson's current move as every bit as reckless compounded by the fact that he has no great reason to think his "heroics" will do any real good (unlike Ansom), short term or otherwise. He has put himself, Sizemore, and the stability of the one semi-peaceful demi-side in Erfworld in jeopardy to achieve the strategic objective of endangering his units and delaying his side's victory. Will it ultimately be for the good of Parson's side? Possibly? Should it? Mebbe, but only if Parson knows or strongly suspects something that we don't know...

Then again, in the 2nd story the protagonist often gets booped over for making tactically poor moral stands (a la Luke going after his homies in Empire Strikes Back).
Last edited by effataigus on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby effataigus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:48 am

Hmm. I suppose an alternate explanation would be that Erfworld is booping with Parson's mind (man). Spend enough time in Erfworld, and duty will begin to compel you to play your little (literal and figurative) part in its drama.

Has Parson been shrinking? Has he lost his pupils? Has he been acting more like Ansom?

The temple of the thinkamancers might be just the thing for Parson.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Swodaems » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:43 pm

gameboy1234 wrote:I'm not really sure what it is. It just might be boredom and desire for change. He's been couped up in GK now for nearly a year, I'd bet he just wants some thing to change.

He has only been there 72 turns. That's one turn short of a 1/5th of year, if you equate turns to days and assume a non-leap year.
Swodaems

Postby effataigus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:21 pm

Swodaems wrote:if you equate turns to days ...

Well, since it's been this turn for years... :D
effataigus

Postby Oberon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:38 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
Oberon wrote:
0beron the avatar thief wrote:[Nothing of import]
Die in a fire.

There's only one rule on this forum: don't be a dick.
That's all a matter of interpretation, isn't it? I interpret Zeroberon the avatar thief to be continually a dick with every post he makes, as he selected a username nigh indistinguishable from my own. Perhaps you see it differently, but then again Marb1tChow isn't quite as easily mistaken for your username and so you really don't and can't have my same perspective on the matter.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Oberon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:43 pm

Beeskee wrote:Isn't it funny how all those stories conveniently omit the fact that cosmic ray collisions with our atmosphere have been going on for billions of years at much higher energy levels?
(Edit: I love the webcam one.)
Isn't it funny how suing cosmic rays doesn't get you much in the way of either money or media attention (except perhaps very briefly and on the 25th page as a crackpot).
I also liked the webcam one, very creative.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby 0beron » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:24 am

Oberon wrote:
MarbitChow wrote:There's only one rule on this forum: don't be a dick.
That's all a matter of interpretation, isn't it? I interpret Zeroberon the avatar thief to be continually a dick with every post he makes, as he selected a username nigh indistinguishable from my own. Perhaps you see it differently, but then again Marb1tChow isn't quite as easily mistaken for your username and so you really don't and can't have my same perspective on the matter.

No, he really is completely right. Its was a simple mistake made with no knowledge that you existed. So shut up, get over it, and simmer in silence because nobody ELSE seems to care. In fact, when two of the most major posters I've seen on here make comments dismissing you, I'd call that a decent indicator that you're being a dick.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Beeskee » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:32 am

Even if someone can't tell the difference between your names with whatever font they use (I can, but maybe that's just my settings) - you still both have different post counts and join dates that are right below your names. I don't think anyone is confused about who is who. If you both set up different user pictures it'll be even more obvious. (I don't see one for either of you, currently)

Oberon, you're a bit rough around the edges but you have made some incredibly insightful comments.
0beron, you've made some valuable contributions to the community, equally insightful.

Can't you both just get along? ^.^

Pweeeeaze? :mrgreen:

Re: the collider: I bet if folks thought it would open a gate to AZEROTH, nobody would be complaining. :D
Beeskee

Postby 0beron » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:40 am

Thanks for that Beeskee, I certainly hope we can, as the animosity has (until now when I just got sick of it) been one-sided. I have no problem with the situation.

As for collider, I'd rather just get a portal to Erfworld itself :p Then I could test my theories, and just have fun with magic!
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Beeskee » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:51 am

More folks know about Azeroth tho. I bet they'd have funding up the wazoo if it was supposed to open a gate to there. :D

I dunno about going to Erfworld, personally. It's definitely a fun place for me to read about, but I don't think I'd want to go there. At least, not without an alliance or non-aggression pact with all the nearby sides. :D

Of course, if I had an army, it might be different, but probably not lol.

I definitely do not want to go to Azathoth. (warning: nightmare fuel)
Beeskee

Postby kreszantas » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:31 am

rutrow... natives getting restless now... munity is in the air... means a comic is about due... [/humor]
Huh? What was that sound, oh nevermind it was nothing.
kreszantas

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:22 am

:lol: Awesome! The Tech Herald article is my fav, though of course Cyriak is always fun.

Beeskee wrote:Re: the collider: I bet if folks thought it would open a gate to AZEROTH, nobody would be complaining. :D

Except the Night Elf women.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Beeskee » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:40 am

Then there's The Onion. But no one cares anyway.

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Except the Night Elf women.

They're a myth.
Beeskee

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:22 am

Oberon wrote:That's all a matter of interpretation, isn't it? I interpret Zeroberon the avatar thief to be continually a dick with every post he makes, as he selected a username nigh indistinguishable from my own. Perhaps you see it differently, but then again Marb1tChow isn't quite as easily mistaken for your username and so you really don't and can't have my same perspective on the matter.

When it comes to being common, you picked the fantasy equivalent of "Steve" for your forum name, and you're upset because there's another Steve in the room.
Your writing writing styles are different, your avatars are different, there is no danger whatsoever that people are going to confuse the two of you. Grow up.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby Kreistor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:39 am

Yeah... Oberon isn't a name you'll get to use on other forums to provide a unique Internet ID.

One of the reasons I keep using Kreistor is that no one else does. It turns out that it is an ultra-rare surname, but so far I have never run into anyone using it in over 15 years.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby effataigus » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:00 am

Hmm, Zeroberon definitely seems to have made an honest mistake with his choice of names. Of course, it is an easily rectified honest mistake, and new forum names are dead easy to create. Heck, I have two on this forum.

I view this situation as someone accidentally stepping on someone's foot. Zeroberon has seen the situation, and yet has not yet gotten off Oberon's foot. Normally I would quietly assume that Zeroberon is a jerk from this... however, Oberon's reactions have been so characteristically melodramatic that I'm not certain I wouldn't stay standing on his foot if I were in Zeroberon's situation... if only to not give into a tantrum of sorts.

Weighty matters, indeed.
effataigus

Postby Dr Pepper » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:53 pm

Well, i know i don't like it if i try to join a forum only to get "Sorry, Dr Pepper is taken, please use another name". So sometimes i have gone with Dr_Pepper, Dr-Pepper, etc. But so far no one had been as rude to me about it as as [-]beron has been to (/)beron, nor gotten upset that more than one person wanted to be called by what used to be considered the national drink of gamers and late night programmers.
Last edited by Dr Pepper on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions