Book 2 – Page 71

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 71

Postby DevilDan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:11 pm

Holy boop, this would be war in the MK.

I think the best approach will be dirtamancy traps, at least if one wants to reduce casualties. Hmmm... I wonder how long it would take our pacifist dirtamancer to put together a decoy dirt golem that could jump back into GK's portal (even if the portal destroys the golem in transit).

Radagast wrote:Can the Thinkamancers not enter the tunnel for some reason? Why haven't they decided that they will obviously need to resort to force?

'Cause they "think" they have the upper hand.
Last edited by DevilDan on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Beeskee » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:12 pm

You'd think with those numbers, Parson would just advise the thinkamancers to GTFO. I mean, Perfect Warlord, right? If the living embodiment of war suddenly told me I was about to wear my butt for a hat in an upcoming battle, I'd call it a day and go play some video games. :D
Beeskee

Postby BCCroaker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:25 pm

The Magic Kingdom is an island? Maybe on the same world and not extradimentional?
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby happyturtle » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:32 pm

Radagast wrote:Can the Thinkamancers not enter the tunnel for some reason? Why haven't they decided that they will obviously need to resort to force?

They're thinkers. They expect to think their way out of problems.
happyturtle
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Tathar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:35 pm

Hayes wrote:The guy in the suit might be Ray Kurzweil - the face is right but the hair style is wrong. See here:
http://singularityhub.com/2009/04/29/tr ... l-premier/

If that's Ray Kurzweil, Rob just got more awesome. He *would* qualify, too.

</fanboy>

EDIT: Actually, as much as I'd like that to be him, and as much as he'd fit the plot here, I don't think it's him. The head proportion's all wrong, and I've never seen Ray wear his suit like that. Also, when's the last time Ray's been seen frowning? Then there's the hair. No, it can't be him.
Beeskee wrote:I was reluctant to assume Charlie was the Wizard, since it seems like if a butterfly farts in an unmapped hex, we're all ready to assume it's somehow part of Charlie's grand schemes to control the wind or whatever.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Dr Pepper » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Heh, The Great Karnak! Or whatever the spelling is. But why is there someone with a woodchuck?
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Tathar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Dr Pepper wrote:Heh, The Great Karnak! Or whatever the spelling is. But why is there someone with a woodchuck?

I should hope that's not a woodchuck, or the Oracle might ZOT a fellow predictamancer.
Beeskee wrote:I was reluctant to assume Charlie was the Wizard, since it seems like if a butterfly farts in an unmapped hex, we're all ready to assume it's somehow part of Charlie's grand schemes to control the wind or whatever.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Dr Pepper » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:07 pm

BCCroaker wrote:The Magic Kingdom is an island? Maybe on the same world and not extradimentional?

Yeah, i caught that. I never thought it was extradimensional, just remote and possibly thought inaccessable by normal means. But Parson might have something to say about that.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Dr Pepper

Postby Dr Pepper » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:08 pm

Tathar wrote:
Dr Pepper wrote:But why is there someone with a woodchuck?

I should hope that's not a woodchuck, or the Oracle might ZOT a fellow predictamancer.

Well apparently it is. Unfortunately, the word "woodchuck" came to my mind first and i didn't think about the creature's other name, "groundhog", or i would have figured out who it was.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Dr Pepper

Postby Ditto » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:32 pm

I like this update. It was a quiet sort of action, but definitely more charged than the last page. I *am* honestly quite surprised to see a gathering of predictamancers, since the text update where Marie was introduced quite logically said in Janis' words:
Because it's no shame to live in the Magic Kingdom, unless you are a Predictamancer.

So I wonder what they're all doing there. Maybe they're all similarly sad and long in exile, or barbarians who quirkily made their way (as a predictamancer well might). But I don't imagine we're going to get much story on them, unless maybe as throwaway mentions in a future text update.
SteveMB wrote:The question is getting Wanda to honor the offer. They could keep going back and forth: offer, honor, offer, honor....
Sorry*.
*no I'm not
Ditto

Postby TheCat » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Markidactyl wrote:The three chicks in panel eight, I believe, are the Weird Sisters. Specifically I recognized them from the Gargoyles show.

Chicks? Really?
TheCat
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Toolbreaker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:46 pm

I think they're still speaking with Maggie. Parson's second speech balloon in panel two."But they don't have to. They could" -> look above the period, I think thats Maggie's thinkagram talking to the Great Minds?
Toolbreaker

Postby Tally » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:49 pm

Brand newbie here, I thought I'd toss in my speculation for the grumpy-glasses the Predictamancer, could it be Alfred Webre? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Webre The face, hair, and suit are correct, though Webre doesn't usually wear glasses. He's a futurist who talks a lot about Earth's place in intergalactic politics. Another possibility could be Bruce Sterling, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Sterling, who is a bit more well known, wrote for Wired, cyberpunk author, coins a lot of words for things that he thinks will exist in the future. But Sterling has lighter hair, and none of his Google images show him in a suit. Any thoughts?
Tally

Postby oslecamo2_temp » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:58 pm

Heh, I kinda had predicted this.

The perfect warlord spell was forged by the thinkmancers and predictmancers.

If the thinkmancers suddenly decided they wanted to take over, then the predictmancers wouldn't sit idly. Now that I think about it, they would be expecting the thinkmancer's "betrayal".

And like also said on the other update, the thinkmancers just think they know what's going on. Let's see how their egos hold when the predictmancers gank back on them! :twisted:

This update also proves that the perfect warlord conspiration did have a very considerable chunk of the magic kingdom involved.

Ditto wrote:
Because it's no shame to live in the Magic Kingdom, unless you are a Predictamancer.

So I wonder what they're all doing there. Maybe they're all similarly sad and long in exile, or barbarians who quirkily made their way (as a predictamancer well might). But I don't imagine we're going to get much story on them, unless maybe as throwaway mentions in a future text update.

Better to live in shame in the magic kingdom than die in a last stand?
Formerly oslecamo2, unable to acess old acount.
oslecamo2_temp

Postby roninpanda » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:01 pm

:mrgreen: Wtf?!? The groundhog is a predictamancer? I guess it's obvious. Man these updates are taking forever but at least they are awesome. I feel bad for Janis, I mean Marie was supposed to be HER friend, now she's so obviously with Parson. I think there's going to be a bloodbath in the MK real soon! I belive Rob the Titan said this issue would be over in a few pages several pages ago but still no end in sight...

Spoiler: show
Key lime pie is overrated. I want cheesecake!
You are in what may be the worst, most Titans-forsaken place in all of Erfworld,” said Judy. “This is the Olive Garden.”
roninpanda

Postby caffeinemancer » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:03 pm

BCCroaker wrote:The Magic Kingdom is an island? Maybe on the same world and not extradimentional?

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F011.jpg

Looks fairly island-ish. No references to its nature since that single image until now, though.
caffeinemancer

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:42 pm

The predictamancers don't live in the MK. All the predictamancers knew this was coming. Much like Sizemore visted the park during his off-time, the predictamancers are all visiting off-turn.
(I wonder how their rulers are going to react, though...)
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby atalex » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:49 pm

I find it interesting that of the identified Predictomancers, one (Karnak) is an obvious fraud, another (Phil) is essentially a cultural joke, and the primary one (Marie) owes as much to Miss Cleo (also a fraud) as to historical mystic Marie Laveau. I continue to wonder whether Predictomancy is actually a reliable means of telling the future as opposed to an elaborate con-job meant to manipulate people into taking actions because they are made to believe in an inevitable future.
atalex

Postby drachefly » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:01 pm

What real, effective prophets have there been? Similarly, what on-screen, effective fictional prophets have there been? I can think of, like, the Time Prophet from Lexx. And, the Oracle from the Matix. Umm, that's it.

So we're left with the real ones, and they're ineffective or comedic in nature.
drachefly

Postby Tathar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:22 pm

drachefly wrote:What real, effective prophets have there been? Similarly, what on-screen, effective fictional prophets have there been? I can think of, like, the Time Prophet from Lexx. And, the Oracle from the Matix. Umm, that's it.

So we're left with the real ones, and they're ineffective or comedic in nature.

Actually, Ray Kurzweil would make a real-life Predictamancer with an excellent track record for his predictions.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions