Book 2 – Page 71

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 71

Postby Menlo Marseilles » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:27 pm

mustaju wrote:Poor Sizemore. His precious Magic Kingdom is erupting in civil war thanks to his own actions. That has to hurt.

From the beginning, Parson's orders have done nothing but hurt the guy. I continue to suspect that he'll turn heel before all's said and done.
and in despair i bowed my head
"there is no peace on erf," i said
for fate is strong and mocks the song
of peace on erf, good will to men
Menlo Marseilles

Postby Shani » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:41 pm

drachefly wrote:What real, effective prophets have there been? Similarly, what on-screen, effective fictional prophets have there been? I can think of, like, the Time Prophet from Lexx. And, the Oracle from the Matix. Umm, that's it.

So we're left with the real ones, and they're ineffective or comedic in nature.

Many of the Greco-roman ones were effective and accurate and 'on-screen' as far as their stories are concerned. Cassandra, Pythia, the Fates, Tiresias all gave predictions that came true, though in many cases, they were self-fulfilling [Tiresias, particularly] or effective and entirely disregarded [poor Cassandra].
Shani

Postby Altima » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Yay, the Wyrd Sisters from Gargoyles. I officially love this comic forever and all time now.
Altima

Postby fjolnir » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:32 pm

I like the last panel set, Janis saying "we won't attack!" and Parson just shooting her a stern look, then in the next panel she's quailing before it. It seems the experiment has gone out of control on her end as well...
fjolnir

Postby sheepfly » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:57 pm

Wow, this thing is really spiraling out of control. At least Marie seems to be enjoying herself.

Given that the Predictamancers are showing up, it would seem likely that Wanda & co will be able to halt Sylvia's siege fast enough to prevent the portal from closing. Otherwise this whole confrontation would be unnecessary.
What would YOU say if you'd won with strength and duty and honor every time when suddenly a veiled flying zero-upkeep 100% recycled army of former friends showed up to croak you with massive numbers and bonuses and skulls with little pink flowers?

Yeah..
sheepfly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:17 am

oslecamo2_temp wrote:The perfect warlord spell was forged by the thinkmancers and predictmancers.

It was created by Predictamancers and FINDAMANCERS. Presumably Thinkamancy was required to form a link to create the scroll, but that doesn't mean the Great Minds were involved.
Of course, it doesn't mean they WEREN'T involved either, so interesting theory.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Balance » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:34 am

atalex wrote:I find it interesting that of the identified Predictomancers, one (Karnak) is an obvious fraud, another (Phil) is essentially a cultural joke, and the primary one (Marie) owes as much to Miss Cleo (also a fraud) as to historical mystic Marie Laveau. I continue to wonder whether Predictomancy is actually a reliable means of telling the future as opposed to an elaborate con-job meant to manipulate people into taking actions because they are made to believe in an inevitable future.

The Sisters' "prophecies" in Gargoyles mostly came true, but it was largely because they were manipulating everyone involved. It is not so difficult to predict the outcome of a chess match when you are playing both black and white.

fjolnir wrote:I like the last panel set, Janis saying "we won't attack!" and Parson just shooting her a stern look, then in the next panel she's quailing before it.

Marie gave her a stern look, I'd say. Parson's expression strikes me as less straightforward. Questioning, maybe. A little sad. He is probably sympathetic, and how not? He is the perfect warlord who has learned that he hates war, and she is the flower child who believes war is the only way to reach the peace she has devoted her life to. If you can't sympathize with the person in the mirror, who can?
Balance
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby fjolnir » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:48 am

My bad, looking at the second to last panel, his look is more incredulity than actually stern.
fjolnir

Postby nth » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:39 am

Now it's time for Slately to change the Jetstone capital, so that Parson will win a conflict he didn't want in the Magic Kingdom, to pass through a portal to a capital he didn't want to go to...
nth

Postby Shani » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:31 am

nth wrote:Now it's time for Slately to change the Jetstone capital, so that Parson will win a conflict he didn't want in the Magic Kingdom, to pass through a portal to a capital he didn't want to go to...

I like it! Charlie's in a position to tip them off and has the resources to do so if he could fit it into his fiscal policy. Does he have hooks in the Magic Kingdom to know what's going on in there though? I seem to recall some hostility towards him, but I might just be thinking of the enmity of the Thinkamancers.
Shani

Postby Sixty » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:44 am

Poor Sizemore looks so miserable throughout.
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby splintermute » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:48 am

Radagast wrote:Can the Thinkamancers not enter the tunnel for some reason? Why haven't they decided that they will obviously need to resort to force?

I don't think they'd want to enter the tunnel - in a tunnel battle, Sizemore is god.
splintermute

Postby Sojiko » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:56 am

Finally some update!

As caffeinemancer points out, the MK being an island is OLD news. We saw that in the very beginning of the comic, right when we saw Janis for the very first time.
That said, it doesn't seem to be divided in Hexes seeing how the caster apparently travel it freely. Even if it is not a completely separate world it seems different rules are at work there.

Radagast wrote:Can the Thinkamancers not enter the tunnel for some reason? Why haven't they decided that they will obviously need to resort to force?
Dirtamancer's specialties are trap and home ground advantage. You don't want to step into a dirtamancer's tunnel if you are holding its only way out.
Sojiko

Postby Snowtitan » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:00 am

Has anybody noticed who is NOT Represented.
he really has to be the greatest, and most famous predictamancer of them all.

What does he know that the other's dont?
Oh no.. not again.
Snowtitan

Postby Dr Pepper » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:31 am

Snowtitan wrote:Has anybody noticed who is NOT Represented.
he really has to be the greatest, and most famous predictamancer of them all.

What does he know that the other's dont?

As always, his message is crystal clear:

Nostradamus wrote:On the brink of victory, the warlord pauses
Destiny, merely a choice, too many advisors
In the forbidden place he stands: Shame? Trrold?
Lifting hearts and breaking them this Turn
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Xenon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:30 am

the man in front of the fates reminds me of the tenth doctor, david tennant. and hes grumpy about something. a time lord would equate to a fairly good predictimancer dont you think?

seven thinkamancers waiting. seven predictamancers coming. seven plus warlord is a stack of eight. this could also be a triple-cross.
Xenon

Postby mortissimus » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:35 am

0beron wrote:
oslecamo2_temp wrote:The perfect warlord spell was forged by the thinkmancers and predictmancers.

It was created by Predictamancers and FINDAMANCERS. Presumably Thinkamancy was required to form a link to create the scroll, but that doesn't mean the Great Minds were involved.

So we could get a thinkmancer conspiracy vs predictomancer conspiracy standoff, only for the findamancer conspiracy to find a way to snatch Parson...
mortissimus

Postby oslecamo2_temp » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:47 am

0beron wrote:

Findmancers? What findmancers? They're never mentioned here.

So they'd made it happen, without fuss, without hassles, and in secret. Janis had connections. She was listened to. Thanks to her, they pulled off the link-up without giving away the real aim. The Predictamancers all knew, of course. The Thinkamancers only sort of thought they knew. Hubble (the Lookamancer in the link-up) knew, but he was no trouble. And Janis knew.

So that's the predictmancers and the thinkmancers involved, and one lone Lookmancer. And one hippiemancer to make them all work togheter.

You're however partially right that the thinkmancers were kinda of cheated as the predictmancers didn't reveal all the details of what was going around.
Formerly oslecamo2, unable to acess old acount.
oslecamo2_temp

Postby Kreistor » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:53 am

Excellent! The plot advances, and we have new knowledge. Predictamancers can predict battlefield actions in order to alter the outcome. This tells us two things:
1) They have a combat use
2) Their predictions are not absolute and can be influenced

oslocamo is correct, of course. Thanks for quoting that.

And this should put paid to the idea that Charlie was behind Jojo. Marie informs us that it would have taken Predictamancy to predict Parson's passage into MK for Jeftichew to be in position before Parson's crossing. We now know the Predictamancers are helping, not interfering with, Parson. Had any of them provided Jeftichew with that knowledge, he would have known to prepare the Predictamancers to take Jojo out before Parson entered.
Last edited by Kreistor on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby zuche » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:17 am

It may just be the eyes and the suit, but the guy holding the groundhog reminds me of Jiggs from "Bringing up Father". He lacks the chin and red hair, but that's the impression I get.
zuche

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions