Book 2 – Page 72

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 72

Postby joosy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:34 am

Waiting for King Slately to use "Ack-Ack" in battle :) Hopefully he stays alive long enough AND doesn't transfer the capital in time for Parson and friends to get through the portal. OR if stuck on the MK side, Parson could convince Stanley to move the capitol to Jetstone so the GK portal appears there.

Also I think that in order to capture the city, GK has to completely own the entire garrison. So - once every enemy unit is cleared from the garrison sections, then GK owns the city and all enemy units still in the airspace, outer wall, or elsewhere get clapped in chains. That means Stanley and his entourage better make a beeline out of the city regardless.

I am also wondering about the concept of loyalty and suicide in Erfworld. Poor Ossomer is very conflicted and, I think, has already made the decision to end his life by moving his mount as close to the tower as possible. Given the accepted concepts of free will (or lack there of) I wonder how is able to rationalize this. Not that I am asking for a few text updates of nothing but Ossomer's thought process with a few flashbacks to some relevent events in his past or anything :)
joosy

Postby Moik » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:53 am

BEST.
SIGNAMANCY.
EVER.
Moik

Postby kagato23 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:57 am

joosy wrote:Waiting for King Slately to use "Ack-Ack" in battle :) Hopefully he stays alive long enough AND doesn't transfer the capital in time for Parson and friends to get through the portal. OR if stuck on the MK side, Parson could convince Stanley to move the capitol to Jetstone so the GK portal appears there.

Also I think that in order to capture the city, GK has to completely own the entire garrison. So - once every enemy unit is cleared from the garrison sections, then GK owns the city and all enemy units still in the airspace, outer wall, or elsewhere get clapped in chains. That means Stanley and his entourage better make a beeline out of the city regardless.

I am also wondering about the concept of loyalty and suicide in Erfworld. Poor Ossomer is very conflicted and, I think, has already made the decision to end his life by moving his mount as close to the tower as possible. Given the accepted concepts of free will (or lack there of) I wonder how is able to rationalize this. Not that I am asking for a few text updates of nothing but Ossomer's thought process with a few flashbacks to some relevent events in his past or anything :)

Calling it now... It's the sound his scepter gun makes.
Portal X Parson OTP!
kagato23
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Sieggy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:00 am

I just love the ray gun that Ace turned the scepter into . . . awesome! And a few things . . . I notice that Zhopa accompanied Stanley to the portal room, I wonder if he'll have a part to play in this drama. Also, the expression on the faces of the JS units who know that they are well and truly screwed, but have to stand there and die like sheep because no one thought to get their now-useless tails out of there.

And Jack sticking his head through the portal again does not bode well for the thinkas . . . Titans help them if Wanda gets pissed and comes through with the pliers - of course, it would be just like Jack to veil Wanda to appear as him, who would then proceed to blow their minds . . . we may find out if the Pliers have other functions now. All in all, though things are coming to a literal head, with Erf-shaking ramifications. Marie is right - this turn changes everything!
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby Jay » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:00 am

I sincerely hope those new magic items only last one turn before the magic fades. Otherwise Dollamancers are the most ridiculously overpowered (and underused) casters in Erfworld.

Because if a caster can craft multiple permanent magic items in a single turn, then any side with a dollamancer should have an arsenal of hundreds of magic items (in all different areas of magic), and every warlord would be armed to the teeth. Heck, even normal units would be armed to the teeth.

In other news, I hope Jack doesn't lose his head.
Jay

Postby effataigus » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:18 am

Love how worried the JS infantry look. I would be worried too if ordered to stand on top of a crumbling tower while my bosses made preparations for themselves to be able to fly.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Lamech » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:21 am

The suggestions about to break and Maggie's about to eat it*! Jack's about to lose his head. Wanda's about to get trapped in Jetstone! Ossomer's about to save the king!

*Or Maggie will deflect the backlash onto Stanley. In which case Ossomer, GK's only heir unit, shall become king.
Lamech

Postby fehler » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:39 am

Not to sound petty, but did you have to wait until 9-11 to bring the tower down? Really, that's bad taste (and bad pacing), considering how much time you spent building up to this point.
fehler

Postby Vorteks » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:41 am

fehler wrote:Not to sound petty, but did you have to wait until 9-11 to bring the tower down? Really, that's bad taste (and bad pacing), considering how much time you spent building up to this point.

1. The tower is still up.
2. It's 9-16.
Vorteks
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:48 am

fehler wrote:Not to sound petty, but did you have to wait until 9-11 to bring the tower down? Really, that's bad taste (and bad pacing), considering how much time you spent building up to this point.

Well, seeing as how today's the 16th, and the tower still hasn't actually *fallen* yet, I'd say it was just a coincidence, and I'd recommend not getting worked up over it. There's more than enough real slights and tastelessness in the world; I'd encourage you to avoid looking for it where it isn't intended.
MarbitChow

Postby cheeseaholic » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:01 am

The portal won't disappear when the tower falls. If we've learned anything so far it's that falling doesn't croak every unit. There will be a at least another round for the survivors to be captured or croaked. I'm pretty sure that Jack will notice the tower falling as well and not sit halfway through the portal.

Of course, there's still the possibility that the tower ceases to be the tower when it starts to fall, and if units inside don't count as in the courtyard at that time the city may fall after the tower starts to but before it finishes collapsing.
cheeseaholic

Postby oslecamo2_temp » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:34 am

Sieggy wrote:Also, the expression on the faces of the JS units who know that they are well and truly screwed, but have to stand there and die like sheep because no one thought to get their now-useless tails out of there.

I only noticed that on my 3rd re-read of this (awesome) update, but yes, they really look like "Oh titans WHY, we were totally winning this, and suddenly we're cornered inside a crumbling tower, what did we do to deserve this?"

Also, anyone knows what hapenned to Trems in the middle of all this? Not that I really care about mr.diplomacy, but it would be really funny if they forget him inside the crumbling tower.

Slatley: Hurrah, we got the archon bounties, now I can promote my son that knocked himself out and then safely suicide charge GK! Wait, where is he?
Pierce: Eeerr, he was inside the tower when it crashed just ago.
Slatley: Why did you leave him behind you non-ryal scum?
Pierce: Well, you did order us to only mount the top units...
Formerly oslecamo2, unable to acess old acount.
oslecamo2_temp

Postby Kalak » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:39 am

So, I appreciate the subtlety, cameos, good writing, etc, in this comic, but sometimes I am just a sucker for a really really awesome comic like this that makes me forget about all of the above. Man, that was satisfying!
Kalak

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:42 am

Yay, new update! And things are actually happening (tower falls, Slately is one step away from kicking ass and chewing bubble gum, Ossomer is ever more pushed into betrayal, or at least some kind of heroics*, Stanley is waking up and asking "what's this then?" ... lots of conflict and DHRAMA without them Punx buttin in)!

Also, I can even use the Sylvia panel as an av, as is. With no change to it. No change whatsoever.

EDIT: *: it may be that Ossomer finally grows a fighting spirit and decides to (honestly attempt to) lay the beatdown on Mars the God of Warfare formerly known as Slately.

PS: Argh, Jack is getting his head in trouble. Like somebody else said, it's the (unexpected by GK) fact that Slately is out of there that makes the portal persist. We're gonna see lines like "hey the Tower has fallen", "hey Jack you still have your head", "holy Titans where's the King" and "HERE I AM" amidst screams of anguish and cries for mercy.

oslecamo2_temp wrote:Also, anyone knows what hapenned to Trems in the middle of all this? Not that I really care about mr.diplomacy, but it would be really funny if they forget him inside the crumbling tower.

No, they won't forget about mr. T. The whole point of Slately gearing up with the awesome items is to gather the bounty to promote him (T) to heir.
Last edited by BLANDCorporatio on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby zuche » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:45 am

With a build-up like this, it's clear that the next page will be about Jillian or Don King, taking a tea break.
zuche

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:48 am

zuche wrote:With a build-up like this, it's clear that the next page will be about Jillian or Don King, taking a tea break.

I hate your guts and am considering wrapping them around your neck as an improvised gallows.

Because you're totally right.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:56 am

Jay wrote:I sincerely hope those new magic items only last one turn before the magic fades. Otherwise Dollamancers are the most ridiculously overpowered (and underused) casters in Erfworld.

Because if a caster can craft multiple permanent magic items in a single turn, then any side with a dollamancer should have an arsenal of hundreds of magic items (in all different areas of magic), and every warlord would be armed to the teeth. Heck, even normal units would be armed to the teeth.

By any sane interpretation, yes. I'm with you on this one.

However, our case will be countered by "only Parson would have thought about that hack" and "we explicitly know that Slately discouraged experimentation with Dollamancy" (as if one case were enough to prove a general trend). Meh, it's probably a-ok and evidence-consistent to consider that Erfworlders are in fact stupid.

Setting aside those counter-arguments (which I'm too annoyed with to give too much time to), consider that Ace had a collection of items from previous turns. It may be that having an already-existing arsenal means not having to do too much work to fit it on some costume. That sounds plausible.

Also plausible is some Ditto-enhanced work efficiency. We already know Dittos are imba, so that's ok.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Swodaems » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:58 am

I said awhile ago that Jack was gonna be cut in half by the portal and it looks like I might be proven right. Pity no one took up my bet about Jack croaking and becomeing undecryptable in the amateur predictamancy thread.
Swodaems

Postby oslecamo2_temp » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:11 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
Jay wrote:I sincerely hope those new magic items only last one turn before the magic fades. Otherwise Dollamancers are the most ridiculously overpowered (and underused) casters in Erfworld.

By any sane interpretation, yes. I'm with you on this one.

However, our case will be countered by "only Parson would have thought about that hack" and "we explicitly know that Slately discouraged experimentation with Dollamancy" (as if one case were enough to prove a general trend). Meh, it's probably a-ok and evidence-consistent to consider that Erfworlders are in fact stupid.

Setting aside those counter-arguments (which I'm too annoyed with to give too much time to), consider that Ace had a collection of items from previous turns. It may be that having an already-existing arsenal means not having to do too much work to fit it on some costume. That sounds plausible.

You sure even Parson would remember that? Because GK itself has an armory filled with magic bling, and even then Wanda, Jack, Ansom and other GK important units were walking around almost naked when it comes to magic items.
Formerly oslecamo2, unable to acess old acount.
oslecamo2_temp

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:13 am

oslecamo2_temp wrote:You sure even Parson would remember that? Because GK itself has an armory filled with magic bling, and even then Wanda, Jack, Ansom and other GK important units were walking around almost naked when it comes to magic items.

Lol, good point.

But Parson does get a pass. They don't have Dollamancers in GK. They only have Twolls, and I guess non-magical Fabrication only goes so far.

Jay's idea was that, since Dollamancers appear to be able to conjure powerful items at the drop of a hat, you could put them to work and after a few turns you'll have the most awesome armory ever. Until you meet another side with Dollamancers, anyway.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions