Book 2 – Page 73

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 73

Postby Vorteks » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:19 pm

Squall83 wrote:So apparently there's a distance limit to decryption: The farther you go away from them, the less their loyalty to you. But I don't think Sylvia will turn because she enjoys fighting for GK, while Ossomer never did.

Interestingly Wanda still seems to be able to look through Ossomer's eyes. So what exactly is he now?

I'm not sure about the assumptions here. Ossomer's been showing signs of dissatisfaction/turning for a while. I think the tower collapsing was just the straw that broke the camel's back. The "No! My family! My city!" emotion he was feeling was enough to push him over the edge. I'm guessing Wanda's proximity wasn't a factor.

Also, I don't think that Wanda was looking out of Ossomer's eyes. I think she just had a little "ping" of awareness when he turned, similar to how Stanley knew when his dragons died or when Parson went to the magic kingdom. Wanda probably saw Ossomer's torch go out in her mind, so to speak.
Vorteks
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby effataigus » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:20 pm

I wonder...

Does Ossomer have upkeep again?

If not, Erfworld has itself a solution.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby BanzaiJoe » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:23 pm

Panel 10. What is that green thing with the missile/Washington Monument. Is that some sort of epaulet on Parson's shoulder or is it on the brownshirt guy?

Does anyone who the brown shirt guy is?
BanzaiJoe

Postby Catbus » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:25 pm

Heh. Looks like Parson can say "shit" in the Magic Kingdom.
Catbus

Postby Morni » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:26 pm

doran wrote:
cheeseaholic wrote:Well, the tower is falling, and it appears that the portal closed. And that Jack and Wanda are in the MK.

Though with Jack around, I'm not sure.

Nah I don't think the portal has closed yet - that was just Jack's illusion, you can see it still intact as the blue portal in panel 10, as well as other one before that.

I'll have to agree with Doran.. Jack did mention that it took the last of his juice to do it.
Morni

Postby the_tick_rules » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:28 pm

I thought Jack was dead for a second, whew.

That green thing is a portal and the monument is some kinda building. They aren't on parson but behind him and it just looks that way the way it's drawn. Brownshirt is the carl sagan guy who has been the lead thinkamancer in this whole thing, just from behind.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby ThatOneMoogle » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:28 pm

Oh, duh, totally forgot about Ansome. It's been a while since I've looked back through the archives.

Huh. Now I'm even more curious about Ossomer. Why was he able to shake it off when every other Decrypted hasn't been able or willing to? Sure, the emotion is fine and dandy... But this is an Arkentool we're talking about here. This thing has been able to keep everyone it touches in line... Except Ossomer. Even Ansome, when confronted by Jillian, wasn't able to shake it off.

I dunno, this feels like the start of something much bigger than I'd imagined at the beginning of the Jetstone battle.
ThatOneMoogle

Postby Xenon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:28 pm

so... you don't even need a turnamancer, if the change occurred same day (no turn start yet). you just need to get the unit a distance from the pliers. As distance by itself isn't enough for Ansom yet, even with a turnamancer, then that means the amount of time a unit serves the pliers has an impact on its loyalty. Ansom is going to turn sometime after the battle ends (next year at this rate) unless parson manages a blitzkrieg attack on FAQ.

jack is awesome as always. and it proves no plan survives contact with your own troops!
Xenon

Postby vector121 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:28 pm

Doran beat me to the punch, the portal isn't closed. That was part of Jack's foolamancy. If you check out panels 6,8 and 10 you can see the Jetstone portal behind Parson. Not to mention King Slately isn't dead, and his deaths appears to be one of the conditions needing to be met for the portal to close.

Looks like without Wanda's bonus Ossomer was successfully turned. I actually missed that the first time around. Things aren't looking too good for the Archons in Jetstone air space. They lost Wanda's bonus and a powerful warlord. I feel bad for em.
My deviantArt - Blog-ity blog

I'm gonna sing the doom song now. Doom dee doom doom doom...
vector121

Postby Pax » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:29 pm

alexanderdsoso wrote:Umm... Did ossomer just turn back to jetsone, and is leading his troops against the Tool's?

Dunno about leading, but yes, Ossomer just turned back to Jetstone!

So, apparently even Decrypted's LOYALTY "benefits" from the bonus of having Wanda in the hex with the Decrypted in question. Clearly, Ossomer "couldn't" turn ... until she left the city, at which point, almost immediately, he turned back ... right before his father's eyes. This wouldn't necessarily hold true for ANY Decrypted -t hey don't automatically revert the moment Wanda leaves them on their own.

But if, like Ossomer, their Loyalty was low enough ... and they were presented with an opportunity, or request, to Turn ... yeah. No bonus from Wanda means, "a failed Loyalty check", and a Turned unit.

Ossomer is, quite likely, still a Decrypted unit. But he'snot Wanda's Decrypted unit anymore.

Which by the by means, yes, Jillian may be able to turn Ansom, with enough time to work on that Loyalty stat of his ... Loyalty which hasn't been getting boosted by proximity to Wanda, for ... well, I suppose it's only been one or two turns so far. But still: no more Loyalty buff for Ansom, means it's only his own pig-headedness that Jillian has to work against.

Oh, HOLY BOOP ... that also means that decrypted ARCHONS might turn back to CHARLIE, too. O_o We saw quite recently (in a text update) how they're still feeling a great deal of Loyalty to Charlie, despite the change in Side ...
Last edited by Pax on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pax

Postby Waltz » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:30 pm

DevilDan wrote:Psych!

Are the colored "jawa" casters teletubby or power-ranger inspired?

They're player characters from the game Magicka, which is almost as funny and meme filled as Erfworld!
(Check it out!)
Waltz

Postby fjolnir » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:38 pm

Proximity probably has something to do with it, though Oss was a loyalty headcase previous to this update.
fjolnir

Postby Unclever title » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:39 pm

Squall83 wrote:Interestingly Wanda still seems to be able to look through Ossomer's eyes. So what exactly is he now?

Something new, something dangerous...
Vorteks wrote:Also, I don't think that Wanda was looking out of Ossomer's eyes. I think she just had a little "ping" of awareness when he turned, similar to how Stanley knew when his dragons died or when Parson went to the magic kingdom. Wanda probably saw Ossomer's torch go out in her mind, so to speak.

Or, you know, that.

Pax wrote:...bunch of stuff...

That's exactly what I was thinking!
Unclever title
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:41 pm

Pax wrote:Which by the by means, yes, Jillian may be able to turn Ansom, with enough time to work on that Loyalty stat of his ... Loyalty which hasn't been getting boosted by proximity to Wanda, for ... well, I suppose it's only been one or two turns so far.

Earlier this turn.

Also, note that Ansom's attachment to Jillian is kind of weak, comparatively speaking. He hooked up with her for one night and had some respect for her for a bit longer on either side. Compare that to the ties of family. It's just not the same.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby alexanderdsoso » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:43 pm

So, the interesting thing will be, will her being near him again flip his ass BACK?
Free Serialized Web Fiction, and a free host for YOUR written fiction!
http://www.DreamFantastic.com
alexanderdsoso

Postby Aster Azul » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:45 pm

Yet Parson still hasn't gone through the portal...

It's like this whole arc is an unrequited love story between Parson and the portal. They're so close, yet they can never touch.
Like our new game, King's Ascent!
https://www.facebook.com/KingsAscent
Aster Azul

Postby fjolnir » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:46 pm

in fact the portal is inaccessible now...
fjolnir

Postby ThatOneMoogle » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:49 pm

Aster Azul wrote:Yet Parson still hasn't gone through the portal...

It's like this whole arc is an unrequited love story between Parson and the portal. They're so close, yet they can never touch.

Parson can't go through the portal, ostensibly. The thinkamancers would zap his overlarge ass with some kind of thinkamancy if he tried it. At least, that has been the case to now. With the addition of the predictamancers and Jack and Wanda, I think the odds may have just tipped in his favor.

I have a feeling we're not going to see Parson get through the portal in any case. The important NPCs are in the Magic Kingdom with him now, which gives the storyline permission to fall hard on the GK troops still in Jetstone.

I think we may see a ruckus in the Magic Kingdom, however. Which would be just as cool; a full-fledged battle between casters, dragging the supposedly "neutral" kingdom into the war, finally.
ThatOneMoogle

Postby Sallo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Wow! What a great comic.
Also very happy to see Parson get another swear off.

Jack's comment about Sizemore being able to create a new unit is pure gold!
Sallo
Tool + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby joosy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:52 pm

wow. fun and event filled update. I will be sad to see the Archons go - assuming that they are going to be wiped out/captured. King Slately and friends need to get out of the city ASAP however, because as soon as GK controls the garrison then all remaining units (including Slately) will be clapped in irons. I predict that Slately will be obsessed with getting enough Archons taken out so he can afford to name Trammenis his heir (or does that fall back to Ossomer now? Hmmm...). Other units will take Trammennis out of the city before Slately himself falls or is captured. In any case, lots of stuff to make this update super fantastic.

And now I'm wondering what special abilities a Parson generated crap golem would have....
joosy

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions