Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby balder » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:21 am

New One is up.
User avatar
balder
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:30 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby teratorn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:33 am

I love Wanda, nuf said.
User avatar
teratorn
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 6:33 am
Location: Algarve

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby happyturtle » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:37 am

Wanda's more 'love to hate' for me. I consider her as the primary antagonist of the comic. But this entry is definitely a "you go girl!" moment.

Did Delphie "predict" that her pet Croakamancer wouldn't follow her orders? Or is she dissembling now?
User avatar
happyturtle
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:44 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby Whispri » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:06 am

teratorn wrote:I love Wanda, nuf said.

Basically: That. She's quite spiffing.

happyturtle wrote:Wanda's more 'love to hate' for me. I consider her as the primary antagonist of the comic. But this entry is definitely a "you go girl!" moment.

Did Delphie "predict" that her pet Croakamancer wouldn't follow her orders? Or is she dissembling now?

Antagonist? What does she do, make faces at Parson behind his back? Eh never mind, let us be united in 'her go-ness'.

Maybe she predicted multiple outcomes? Was hoping for one, knew the risk of the other?
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 657
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby ╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:31 am

Too bad all these kind folks will all come to a pointy end (likely at Ansom's hands)

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F122.jpg
Last edited by ╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 Naughtymancers of different disciplines walk into a bar... wait, forget what I just said. A shockmancer and a croakamancer walk into a bar.
User avatar
╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:54 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby M.A.D » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:40 am

Wanda being a cute little sister?

I SO want to have a picture of that scene!!
M.A.D
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby Tathar » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:47 am

teratorn wrote:I love Wanda, nuf said.

Wanda is starting to remind me of Parson here, right down to blurring the lines between caster and warlord roles. Maybe the reason why she believes in Parson so much is because she herself has been shown to be more valuable leadership than her bonus would suggest?

Also I love this Wanda a lot too. What made her change into such a Fatalist?
Beeskee wrote:I was reluctant to assume Charlie was the Wizard, since it seems like if a butterfly farts in an unmapped hex, we're all ready to assume it's somehow part of Charlie's grand schemes to control the wind or whatever.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby vintermann » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:07 am

╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ wrote:Too bad all these kind folks will all come to a pointy end (likely at Ansom's hands)

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F122.jpg


Do you want to rephrase that as a bet in the predictions thread? I'm pretty confident Wanda is simply referring to their mutual love interest in that frame.
User avatar
vintermann
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 5:01 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby random_guy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:31 am

If you do post that as prediction, it will have my support. The mutual love interest does not seem as much of a big deal for me. Even though Jillian clearly loved Ansom more when she broke the spell, she still cared enough about Wanda to return to her and convince her to leave Stanley. Compare what Ansom lost to what Wanda lost if she was referring to Goodminton. Ansom is angry because she took away part of his army, but he took away her entire family and faction. I think that comment was in fact referring to Ansom wiping out her side.
random_guy
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:25 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby badninja » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:39 am

So Wanda has always preferd to be on the front lines. Now how will her first battle go, I see her "brother" dieing here and Wanda doing what comes naturally to her. Now why do I feel her popping side will become Charlescomm in the future (just a gut feeling nothing to go on)?
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:46 am
Location: Tatooine

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby Whispri » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Tathar wrote:
teratorn wrote:I love Wanda, nuf said.

Wanda is starting to remind me of Parson here, right down to blurring the lines between caster and warlord roles. Maybe the reason why she believes in Parson so much is because she herself has been shown to be more valuable leadership than her bonus would suggest?

Also I love this Wanda a lot too. What made her change into such a Fatalist?

She's always seemed a very martial character. Warlord Wanda indeed.

At a guess I'd say it's because her side will fall. No matter how hard she fights, or how well she leads, she's going to do battle with Fate and it's going to teach her the agony of total defeat.
Last edited by Whispri on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 657
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby Amado » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:07 pm

badninja wrote: Now why do I feel her popping side will become Charlescomm in the future (just a gut feeling nothing to go on)?


I had pretty much the same thought. Cold climate, I think that's what did it. Charles said "no-one south or west of me will take my call" (to the best of my recollection), so he's somewhat north-ish and east-ish of the action in books 1 and 2. And his dish is shown nestled in icy mountains. Could be coincidence, could be interesting plot connections. Time may tell.
Amado
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:01 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby happyturtle » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:32 pm

Whispri wrote:
teratorn wrote:I love Wanda, nuf said.

Basically: That. She's quite spiffing.

happyturtle wrote:Wanda's more 'love to hate' for me. I consider her as the primary antagonist of the comic. But this entry is definitely a "you go girl!" moment.

Did Delphie "predict" that her pet Croakamancer wouldn't follow her orders? Or is she dissembling now?

Antagonist? What does she do, make faces at Parson behind his back? Eh never mind, let us be united in 'her go-ness'.

Maybe she predicted multiple outcomes? Was hoping for one, knew the risk of the other?


I see Wanda as the antagonist, because her Fatalist goals, 'destroy everyone if that's what the Arkentools want' seem opposed to Parson's goal 'Find a way to end the fighting'. She may believe that Parson is Fate's Tool, but Parson doesn't believe that, and he doesn't act based on that. And Wanda also keeps things from Parson, like when she moved Ansom away from the main forces and refused to let him tell Stanley, and later when she gave Sylvia the order to bring down the tower. Intuitively, at least, and probably consciously, she knows that Parson wants things that she does not. See here, panel 10: http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -12-24.jpg

And, the other reason I see her as the Antagonist, is that the other Sides so far are sympathetic: Jetstone, Faq, Don King (though not Caesar)... heck, even Charlie is someone I find interesting and want to learn more of. Wanda is cold, cruel, selfish, and completely enslaved by her religion. I find her interesting, but I don't find her sympathetic, and I don't want her worldview to be the correct one. I want Parson to find a way to win without her.

That said, this is the Prequel, and she is not yet a Fatalist. She's not the same woman we see later. For now, she's the protagonist. :)
User avatar
happyturtle
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:44 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby Sinnombre » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:23 pm

So I suppose the answer to Parson's question from way back when was yes, yes she was that scary as a child.
Sinnombre
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby Whispri » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:35 pm

╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ wrote:Too bad all these kind folks will all come to a pointy end (likely at Ansom's hands)

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F122.jpg

I can easily see Jetstone being involved, but it can't have been Ansom personally, as Wanda destroyed Faq before he was even popped. Judging by this, he can't be much older than five hundred turns. While the fall of Faq has been spoken of in terms of being closer to a thousand turns ago. And that's without thinking about the time she spent serving Faq and Goodminton. Makes you wonder why Wanda and Jillian are lower level than he, but there you go.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 657
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby Kreistor » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:06 pm

badninja wrote:Now why do I feel her popping side will become Charlescomm in the future (just a gut feeling nothing to go on)?


Charlie lives in a tower in the mountains, with no evidence of constant snowfall. He holds no cities, and the castle is one of the best defended in the world due to its natural terrain. Goodminton isn't even close to that. No, this isn't Charlie's past. We'll never know that. Based on Charlie's Angels, Charlie is a complete unknown, and our Charlie will keep to that.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
User avatar
Kreistor
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:59 pm
Location: K-W, Ontario, Canada

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby Whispri » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:51 pm

Actually, those mountains look pretty snow covered to me.

happyturtle wrote:I see Wanda as the antagonist, because her Fatalist goals, 'destroy everyone if that's what the Arkentools want' seem opposed to Parson's goal 'Find a way to end the fighting'. She may believe that Parson is Fate's Tool, but Parson doesn't believe that, and he doesn't act based on that. And Wanda also keeps things from Parson, like when she moved Ansom away from the main forces and refused to let him tell Stanley, and later when she gave Sylvia the order to bring down the tower. Intuitively, at least, and probably consciously, she knows that Parson wants things that she does not. See here, panel 10: http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -12-24.jpg

And, the other reason I see her as the Antagonist, is that the other Sides so far are sympathetic: Jetstone, Faq, Don King (though not Caesar)... heck, even Charlie is someone I find interesting and want to learn more of. Wanda is cold, cruel, selfish, and completely enslaved by her religion. I find her interesting, but I don't find her sympathetic, and I don't want her worldview to be the correct one. I want Parson to find a way to win without her.

That said, this is the Prequel, and she is not yet a Fatalist. She's not the same woman we see later. For now, she's the protagonist. :)

Yeah, I really don't see what antagonistic about any of that. Even if, for example, leaving Ansom behind was a bad decision, something I'm not convinced of as Haggard and Faq have both been removed from the fighting as a result, that doesn't make her an antagonist, merely someone who's capable of making mistakes. A fool for love if you will. The Tower thing was Jack's idea and could well have worked out fine if not for Maggie. As far as her fatalism goes... what of it? What's so bad about wanting to minimise suffering?

I'll be blunt: The sides you list as sympathetic are evil, bandit sides led by monsters. The Queen of Faq is a joyful mass murderess who actively hates the idea of living at peace. The Don King and Slately praised the actions of the Demoness Bea, who murdered her own daughter under a flag of truce and comitted genoicide against her own people, rather than accept the favourable peace terms she'd been offered. The Don King's a lunatic who's brought his side to the brink of ruin. Slately attacked Stanley for no reason other than that he's an Overlord. Charlie's a pimp. All of them want war and are neighbours with whom Gobwin knob can't know peace without first defeating. And Wanda's opposing them, that's a mark in her favour. Tell me, what practical difference is there between Wanda and a Paladin with a Holy Sword?

And that's quite enough of that line/branch/whatever/blah of rant/argument/blah/whatever me'thinks.
Last edited by Whispri on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 657
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby Archameades » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:53 pm

Makes you wonder why Wanda and Jillian are lower level than he, but there you go.


I think Ansom did most of his leveling against Gobwin Knob. Probably gained a lot of levels against large numbers of poorly managed GK armies.

http://www.erfworld.com/summer-update-2009-archive/?px=%2FE009_ParsonAndMaggie_600.jpg
Archameades
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:37 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby badninja » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:52 pm

Kreistor wrote:Charlie lives in a tower in the mountains, with no evidence of constant snowfall. He holds no cities, and the castle is one of the best defended in the world due to its natural terrain. Goodminton isn't even close to that. No, this isn't Charlie's past. We'll never know that. Based on Charlie's Angels, Charlie is a complete unknown, and our Charlie will keep to that.


I am making a guess based off possibility's, Charlie does not half to appear, but him controlling Wanda's original side would be a plot point that can be used. His trademarked unit is expensive and rare. We do not know what Goodminton can pop besides what has already been mentioned. If Charlie gets mentioned as a player I will be wrong but lets not discount a possibility before we have all the facts.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:46 am
Location: Tatooine

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 004

Postby Muzzafar » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:24 pm

Whispri wrote:Antagonist? What does she do, make faces at Parson behind his back?

[Tin foil hat on]
Somewhere about the end of Book 1 I actually had an idea that Wanda may become the major antagonist in the future. She would somehow split off from Stanley and Gobwin Knob (her troops already wear her own livery) and Parson would be Duty-bound to fight her for Stanley. I mean, come on, if Gobwin Knob has got "all the classic evil creatures" on its side, then what would you say about a Necromancer witch with legions of living dead?
[Tin foil hat off]
Whispri wrote:I'll be blunt: The sides you list as sympathetic are evil, bandit sides led by monsters. <skipped> All of them want war and are neighbours with whom Gobwin knob can't know peace without first defeating. And Wanda's opposing them, that's a mark in her favour. Tell me, what practical difference is there between Wanda and a Paladin with a Holy Sword?

I agree with you that most sides in this conflict are, in Parson's own words, "just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other". But this does not automatically make somebody fighting against them "good". Ansom and some others seem to have (and propagate) an idea of creating one side in Erfworld and thus stopping all wars. Wands seems to be merely following her Fate, wherever she thinks her Fate leads her. Wanda is as ruthless as (or probably even more ruthless than) pretty much anyone we have seen so far in this story.
User avatar
Muzzafar
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:37 am

Next

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jallorn, lucidfox, Prodigial_Knight, Svankensen and 17 guests