Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 005

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 005

Postby Ptharien's Flame » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Necromonkey wrote:Don't get me wrong I love debates as much as the next person. The only thing that bugged me enough to the point that I felt like posting, is when people hop on here and post a theory or idea, and then have a dozen people say that person is wrong and get a dozen different theories none of which can be proven.
So 3 pages later you have 12 people with 12 different theories, all based on thier opinion/perception of rules that haven't even been written. Its like watching a carousel going round and round, everyone is saying the same thing over and over, each on a different horse saying thier horse if the best.

For example this is how I perceive most "debates" on this forum. I post something like "All croakamancers have black hair, and all dirtamancers have bald spots"
20 people jump on me and tell me I'm wrong, that I can't make that kind of claim.....ok why not.....another page of "this is why". In the end I can't prove myself right, although technically I am, since we've only seen 1 of each kind of caster. And no one can prove me wrong, again because we've only seen 1 of each caster I'm talking about....but the "debate" goes on and on and on until eventually the next issue is posted and draws our attention away from this debate, just to do it all over again on a different subject.

Well, as long as we all respect each other's right to have our own opinions (although not necessarily the opinions themselves), that's exactly what a forum is for!
Ptharien's Flame

Postby Necromonkey » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:24 pm

True statement and totally agree. I've been reading erfworld since it started on OOTS but just recently (past week or so) visited the forums, and was surprised to see the level arguing going on here. Seems like most people on these forums follow the "Opinions are like orgasms, mines the most important, and I don't really care if you have one." theory.
Necromonkey

Postby Ptharien's Flame » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:32 pm

Necromonkey wrote:True statement and totally agree. I've been reading erfworld since it started on OOTS but just recently (past week or so) visited the forums, and was surprised to see the level arguing going on here. Seems like most people on these forums follow the "Opinions are like orgasms, mines the most important, and I don't really care if you have one." theory.

0_o there are people who follow that philosophy regarding orgasms????
Ptharien's Flame

Postby Necromonkey » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:42 pm

Ptharien's Flame wrote:
Necromonkey wrote:True statement and totally agree. I've been reading erfworld since it started on OOTS but just recently (past week or so) visited the forums, and was surprised to see the level arguing going on here. Seems like most people on these forums follow the "Opinions are like orgasms, mines the most important, and I don't really care if you have one." theory.

That's the rumor..
Necromonkey

Postby BCCroaker » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:43 pm

sleepymancer wrote:Having said that, I'm going to poke an enquiring stick at the world again with a suggestion. Assuming that Wanda cannot judge the health of living units, and I think that, beyond points, and without more information that is a fair guess, it is quite possible that the Life energy in the living unit provides so much noise that her senses are flooded instead.

Until she got the pliers and could restore both Motion and Life.
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:51 pm

Necromonkey wrote:Don't get me wrong I love debates as much as the next person. The only thing that bugged me enough to the point that I felt like posting, is when people hop on here and post a theory or idea, and then have a dozen people say that person is wrong and get a dozen different theories none of which can be proven.

Generating plausible theories is good. Betting on them? Great. Unconditionally claiming they're true without compelling reasons... not so much.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Raza » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:00 pm

Necromonkey wrote:
Ptharien's Flame wrote:

That's the rumor..

Scary that it'd be well-recognised enough to build a proverb on, though.
Raza

Postby Oberon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:39 pm

Pax wrote:Carnymancers may not have an attack spell to begin with; they may have a distraction spell instead (*suddenly looks shocked/surprised* "Look, a monkey!" *points somewhere behind you*) ...
And then they fling their poo at you!
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Housellama » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Necromonkey wrote:
the_tick_rules wrote:It would have to be that way somewhat. I've opened my rule books to check what happened in OOTS more than once.

I agree, but only because that story is written in DnD terms where the rules are clearly defined prior to the strip being written. Erfworld is a different can of worms, most of the "rules" just flowed from pen to paper as Rob was writing the story. There is not a book to reference.

No, but the same principle applies. We don't know what the rules are, but we know that the world HAS rules. Our world has rules too. They are the laws of physics. What we would call game rules are the Erfworld equivalent of physics. We know that the rules of our world are consistent, and when they AREN'T consistent, it makes people sit up and wonder why. It's the same with Erfworld.

Now, the inhabitants of Erfworld already KNOW the rules to their world, but we don't. We can only infer things about their world and the rules of their world by the glimpses we get into that world through the comics. Let's face it, most of us here are gamers. We WANT to know the rules. A surprising number of us here are also scientists or engineers or have a very strong interest in either or both of those subjects. The scientific method is second nature to a lot of us, and so is arguing about rules.

I admit it, at least half the fun for me in this comic is the mystery of the world itself. Trying to figure out Erfworld and how it ticks from the windows we are shown. I LOVE this stuff. I eat it up and enjoy the boop out of it. Yeah, sometimes arguments get a little heated, but we try to keep things civil and most of the time we succeed. And believe it or not, Rob encourages it.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:48 am

Ptharien's Flame wrote:

Oh well. At least, wanking is forever.

(Yes, the link is work-safe. It's just a little song, Jesus. Safest to not play it loud though, the sound quality is a bit off.)
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Previous

Return to Reactions