Summer Update - 028

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Update - 028

Postby GenuityX » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:46 am

Yup...still ignoring the total lack of pants. I'm gonna keep on believing those are some really wooly leggings.

Emergency Pants for All!
Check out my Art Hole at http://genuityx.deviantart.com/
GenuityX

Postby Arkenputtyknife » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:50 am

moose o death wrote:you saturated the colours in the sepia blend that's counter productive

if you want sepia tone desaturate first then run the sepia filter.

No, it's not counterproductive. Try it. Saturating after running the sepia intensifies the sepia as well as the traces of colors that were already there. That's the idea.

The problem, as I said in previous post, was that the sepia filter muted the colors too much. Desaturating first makes it worse. And I wasn't aiming for sepia; I was aiming for a good-looking wallpaper.

It worked, and it worked better than your proposal, so don't knock it.
Grammar: It's not the law, it's just a good idea.
Arkenputtyknife

Postby Rykka » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:56 am

I still have the original PSD that is the size of a building wall. If Balder want's I could always make a high-rez version specificly for desktops and widescreen desktops for the toolbox if there is interest in that?
Rykka

Postby Sonic Screwdriver » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:15 am

Man, I really want to hear more on why the Magic Kingdom seems to be so upset with Parson. Is it for commanding that link and blowing up the mountain? Is breaching the barrier as a non-caster that big of a deal? If they think he's not a caster, why did they let Janis out-and-out lie? Are casters allowed to be warlords at the same time for that story to even work? Does the Magic Kingdom even know what happened at Gobwin Knob, since Charlie's hinted that it's a big secret? If they do, there must be some reason why they're keeping it to themselves, since I'm certain there would be a grapevine that would lead to one of the leaders' casters out there otherwise.

Then there's the anticipation of Parson testing his move limit even further. It's obvious he can leave a hex, because he did enter the Magic Kingdom. Does it require teleportation, mounts, removal of garrison status?
Sonic Screwdriver
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Arkenputtyknife » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:51 am

Rykka wrote:I still have the original PSD that is the size of a building wall. If Balder want's I could always make a high-rez version specificly for desktops and widescreen desktops for the toolbox if there is interest in that?

I'd certainly like to see it.
Grammar: It's not the law, it's just a good idea.
Arkenputtyknife

Postby Secret » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:04 am

Arkenputtyknife wrote:
Rykka wrote:I still have the original PSD that is the size of a building wall. If Balder want's I could always make a high-rez version specificly for desktops and widescreen desktops for the toolbox if there is interest in that?

I'd certainly like to see it.

I second that! ^_^
"I only exist inside those people aware of my existence." -Lain
Secret
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:07 am

Sonic Screwdriver wrote:Man, I really want to hear more on why the Magic Kingdom seems to be so upset with Parson. Is it for commanding that link and blowing up the mountain? Is breaching the barrier as a non-caster that big of a deal? If they think he's not a caster, why did they let Janis out-and-out lie? Are casters allowed to be warlords at the same time for that story to even work? Does the Magic Kingdom even know what happened at Gobwin Knob, since Charlie's hinted that it's a big secret? If they do, there must be some reason why they're keeping it to themselves, since I'm certain there would be a grapevine that would lead to one of the leaders' casters out there otherwise.

Then there's the anticipation of Parson testing his move limit even further. It's obvious he can leave a hex, because he did enter the Magic Kingdom. Does it require teleportation, mounts, removal of garrison status?

teleporters clearly don't subtract move and casters can leave for and from the magic kingdom outside of their turn or else wanda wouldn't have admonished sizemore for NOT doing that.

parson went somewhere he shouldn't have and would have been destroyed from what we saw for doing so. janis made sure he was sparred and he was returned when he came too again. i'm sure maggie or sizemore could have had ample oppurtunity to ask their own questions once they were unlinked had they felt a need.

i'm not going any deeper than this. so take my exaplanation for what you will
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby mhangman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:33 am

nice job, love the art
mhangman

Postby Aris Katsaris » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:21 am

This update annoyed me. Its chief result is this: I no longer think that the creators planned or even really remember the magic system they wrote about: Sizemore talks about Stuffamancers as if he's not one of them.
Aris Katsaris

Postby Rykka » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:27 am

Dirtamancy is part of Stuffamancy, but I think it was mentioned earlier that while he has a lot of interest in other fields, the only thing he really excells at is dirtamancy. So while he is a stuffamancer, maybe he doesn't feel qualified to speak for them all.
Rykka

Postby SteveMB » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:53 am

Rykka wrote:Thank you all for the kind words! They mean a lot to me.

On a related subject, is that avatar a particular character, or more an expression of a general "type"?

Rykka wrote:Dirtamancy is part of Stuffamancy, but I think it was mentioned earlier that while he has a lot of interest in other fields, the only thing he really excells at is dirtamancy. So while he is a stuffamancer, maybe he doesn't feel qualified to speak for them all.

It seems to me that Sizemore is speaking generically about the subject because he's more comfortable geeking out about how magic works than discussing things that touch on him personally.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Arkaim » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:53 am

Interesting. So all Sizemore needs to do to conjure a lava golem is to imagine the concept first.
Arkaim
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Mathamancer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:18 am

BarGamer wrote:
Sizemore wrote:"The Casters who live there have endless arguments about things like that. Philosophy. Metaphysics. Nature. I go there when I can, to hear the great thinkers...and the not-so-great ones."

Magic Kingdom sounds a lot like the Forum. XD

Beautiful art in this update! Seeing that lava lake there makes me wonder what Parson could do to exploit it, besides making Marketing Department geeks fall in it while playing Doom. ;)

Now let the debate begin (if it hasn't already) - are casters all connected to RL people, and is the magic kingdom actually the forum...or is it merely a reflection of forumspace, or is it actually forumspace where the casters are reflections of RL people?
Mathamancer

Postby SteveMB » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:36 am

Mathamancer wrote:Now let the debate begin (if it hasn't already) - are casters all connected to RL people, and is the magic kingdom actually the forum...or is it merely a reflection of forumspace, or is it actually forumspace where the casters are reflections of RL people?

I'll try to figure that out after I finish getting over this weird dream about being a butterfly....
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB

Postby teratorn » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:51 am

Just a nitpick, shouldn't the decrypted archon's skirts be dark?

Lovely rendering of Parson and his group, good view on the city and some of the surroudings. I wasn't sure if I should compliment the artist after reading on the news how a compliment is equivalent to a week's worth of food. I'm afraid we've already overfed Rykka.

Magic's Kingdom reaction is somewhat weird. Do they fear Parson? I'd expected them to be all powerful in there, what are they so afraid of that they need to put guards?
teratorn

Postby SteveMB » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:24 am

teratorn wrote:Magic's Kingdom reaction is somewhat weird. Do they fear Parson? I'd expected them to be all powerful in there, what are they so afraid of that they need to put guards?

People tend to be afraid of things they don't understand. It's hardly surprising that the Magic Kingdom casters would be freaked out at the arrival of a unit that looks like a Man the size of a Twoll, with no visible stats (which is about as weird as an invisible man would be in the real world) The fact the even he himself doesn't know why he got through the portal without being disbanded just makes it worse.
SteveMB

Postby warriortribble » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:26 am

I'm guessing they're not afraid of Parson, but the new "creature type" he represents. They're probably guarding against an army of Parsons trying to swarm into their kingdom and kidnap the casters.
warriortribble

Postby Rykka » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:32 am

teratorn wrote:Just a nitpick, shouldn't the decrypted archon's skirts be dark?

Ahh.. I knew it. I could not find a picture of the dark archons anywhere, though I knew one was lurking around somewhere. I had a feeling they were supposed to be black but went with red since I couldn't find an example, and that side of the page needed a bit more red. Thank you for the correction though! Would you be so kind as to post the page they are on, for my future reference?

SteveMB wrote:On a related subject, is that avatar a particular character, or more an expression of a general "type"?

Back when the project Wanda stuff first started, I toyed around with a 3D variant, and that was one of the preliminary tests. I didn't end up doing it though, so I kept the rough draft image as my own personal Wanda avatar. She is my favorite character. By a lot.

Lot.
Rykka

Postby teratorn » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:47 am

Rykka wrote:I had a feeling they were supposed to be black but went with red since I couldn't find an example, and that side of the page needed a bit more red. Thank you for the correction though! Would you be so kind as to post the page they are on, for my future reference?

The erfwiki is your friend!

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_146:11
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_146:12
teratorn

Postby Rykka » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:48 am

Awesome, thank you! Information digested and compiled for future reference.
Rykka

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions