Summer Update - 029

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Update - 029

Postby BarGamer » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:31 pm

I'm not getting anything you guys are talking about. Vinny's paralleling Jillian over many turns just makes my mind boggle even more. Dr. Heisenberg would froth at the mouth from observing THAT series of actions. As well as Parson's observing the Dwagon Donut of Doom being nibbled at, and then Jillian busting the Wounded Dwagon stack?

If you can explain that in small simple words, you should teach High School Physics.

Personal quote: "Physics is when Science gets drunk, but students get the hangover."
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Wyvern » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:56 pm

Krennson wrote:
MarbitChow wrote:
Krennson wrote:If the sun ONLY resets if someone else is in your (new) hex, doesn't that mean you can tell if an enemy is hiding in the hex you just entered, based on the sun resetting?

That would require that you leave the hex, the enemy enters the hex, their time passes, and then you reenter the hex, all in the same day.
Since you can only move on your turn, this would not be possible.

no, i mean, what if an illusomancer hides a ground army in a forest, and an enemy air unit flys over them on it's own turn. is it possible that the enemy air unit can't see them, but it CAN see the sun being in the 'wrong' place, thus suggesting that someone it doesn't know about has already observed that sun?

There's no reason why the sun would have to move. The Foolamancer couldn't have possibly acted since its own turn ended, so the whole hex, and the sun from its perspective, could have just "waited" until it was in a position appropriate for the scout. Nothing of importance happened between the Foolamancer ending turn and the scout's arrival, so there's no reason why it would be otherwise, except just for the sake of being contrary.

So if the Foolamancer hid there at its 11:00 and then ended turn, and the scout arrived at its 4:00, the sun wouldn't be in its 11:00 position. The Foolamancer (and thus the whole hex) would have already waited five hours by the time the scout arrived. If, after that, a fast-moving assault force rushed the hex in less time than it took the scout, THEN the sun might have to move back. Unless it would just appear to move forward for the new stack...I'm not sure which Erfworld finds preferable.

That's my take on it, anyway. Doing anything else would just be needlessly complicated. I figure if things CAN work out without any time-jumping, it'll probably try to, just for everyone's convenience.
Wyvern

Postby moose o death » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:38 pm

Anton Gaist wrote:
moose o death wrote:my only problem with it is why they even bothered to have the sun.

So they could fight in the shade.

I didn't say no light source. just no obvious sun.
Anton Gaist wrote:That aside, I think of Scout as a special ability, one that allows the unit to quickly survey the hex as it moves across it. Vinnie's bats, for one, did quite a lot of flying round the hex. If it was only a matter of looking at the hex stats, Vinnie would have known about the dwagons in the pincer from the moment they entered the hex. Instead, he received the report as the bats were being destroyed.

remember erfworld is treated like the dramatic retelling of a fictitious tbs. if the dwagon stack was told to autoattack any units entering the hex. no matter what happened statisticly, those doombats were wiped out before they could blink. it was the loss of doombats and the knowledge of dwagon forces in that area rather than scouting reports that lead one thing to another. although vinny does appear to be able to see through their eyes. but i don't see that as a scouting ability as much as it is a vinny ability.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby DevilDan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:48 am

"Fighting in the shade" would be a reference to a legend about the battle of Thermopylae (of 300 fame). (I think the story traces back to Herodotus, but don't quote me on that.)
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Previous

Return to Reactions