Guest art reactions

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Guest art reactions

Postby Erk » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:19 pm

So, now that we have a good selection of guest art to look at, what does everyone think? Is it still strange to see Erfworld from the eyes of someone other than Jamie? Any favourites or comments?
Rumours of my croaking have been greatly exaggerated.

Race: Men
Class: Caster (Healomancer)
Level: 3
Special: Exhausted
Erk

Re: Guest art reactions

Postby DevilDan » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:57 pm

I absolutely enjoy the whimsical style of the updates; they add some lightness, which is appropriate for a picnic, one might argue. As I wrote elsewhere, the art to 29 is a nice distraction from the heady matters discussed in it.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby teratorn » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:43 pm

It's hard to chose one, they've all done well on the picnic series.
teratorn

Postby moose o death » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:47 pm

i can pick, rykka's cityscape byfar the most impressive, for technical accuracy and for scope. i really like Genuity's update as well. Allisa's update's i also liked. so far haven't really liked the updates from the other webcomic artists though.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby BarGamer » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:25 pm

I've liked them all except for Pat Jacobs. The colors are drab, the lines are oddly weighted all over the place, the proportions are off... Maybe I'm just not "getting it?" <_<;
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby GenuityX » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi!

No I'm not posting to defend my art, or start a flame war. Nor do I feel singled out. I respect Bar's opinion, and I'm not offended that my stuff was not universally liked. I like this thread, and I think it would fill my ego greatly for everyone to post, as long as they are honest and impartial opinions.

I personally like Rykka's and Alisa's art. Rykka for for her beautiful back ground and the look on Parsons face, and Alice's for the unique brush stroke effect. I don't think there has been a piece yet that I just out right disliked, yet.

Doing this made me realize how hard Jamie and Rob's jobs really are. It is so easy to miss a detail, even on a character you know by heart. Rob said it right when he said there is no first or second draft, that you have to get it right in one go....man. Talk about some pressure!
Last edited by GenuityX on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my Art Hole at http://genuityx.deviantart.com/
GenuityX

Postby BarGamer » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:48 am

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to hurt you! No hard feelings? <_<;
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer

Postby GenuityX » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:59 am

Oh my poor sensitive feelings! Hurting do bad...going home to cry...boo hoo, boo hoo. No seriously I actually admire and defend your opinion. I prefer it if people like or don't like any creative activity, that they are at least honest. People have a tendency to be pretentious or flat out liars. Will I always agree if someone say I'm a terrible artist? Nope. But what you said was inoffensive and art related. I'm not some kid to go and run off and cry because I get my stuff rejected. Heh...if I did that I would have never survived the billion other times people rejected my stuff....or gotten a date.
GenuityX

Postby Alisa » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:37 pm

Rykka got to draw a Dwagon! I'm jealous!

Btw, it's Alisa.... you know, Lisa, but with an extra A. pronounced that way too. ;p
Alisa

Postby GenuityX » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:22 pm

Yeah, wow... I actually did that. Sorry! I hope I didn't offend you.
GenuityX

Postby PhoenixTalion » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:45 pm

Guest art always looks off to me, but I think Rykka is my fave, with Alisa being a very close second.

GenuityX, I think something is off with your coloring. Some stuff, like the door hinges, are added over the lines, some stuff is done under. Some objects, like Sizemore's head, have both. Maybe it's just a stylistic choice I'm not into/used to. But you've also got some weird white edges around stuff in the background... IDK. The stuff on your Devart is much better, though. I left some comments as StolenThunder.
|Icons|Art|Fanfic|

"The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa."
~Robert Heinlein
PhoenixTalion

Postby DevilDan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:51 pm

Nathan's art was everything I wasn't expecting. It was humorous, whimsical, and just all-around excellent. I would like to see it in glorious full color, though.

Rykka's was cute; Genuity's was genuinely funny; Onezumi's was a very lovely and peaceful piece, it's my favorite save for Alisa's first piece.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Secret » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:46 am

Honestly all the guest art looks odd to me but that's just because I'm not used to seeing these characters in a different style.
So far I haven't liked how anyone has done Parson, people are making his face either to wide or to tall, but I've thought both Sizemore and Magie have been well done in most.
My top 3 of the artists so far would have to be Nathan, Rykka(best Parson so far), and Alisa.
Last edited by Secret on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I only exist inside those people aware of my existence." -Lain
Secret
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:20 pm

They obviously appreciate and admire the original story and art, but I wouldn't go as far as to call them deferent...
DevilDan

Postby PhoenixTalion » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:30 pm

...If this board had a karma system, you would totally get some for that.
|Icons|Art|Fanfic|

"The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa."
~Robert Heinlein
PhoenixTalion

Postby Secret » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:58 pm

DevilDan wrote:They obviously appreciate and admire the original story and art, but I wouldn't go as far as to call them deferent...

Oh sh...Sorry I meant to say different not deferent. >_<
"I only exist inside those people aware of my existence." -Lain
Secret

Postby teratorn » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:16 pm

I seem to be the only one liking Pat Jacobs' work. I particularly liked the pikers, his Parson looked like the "real" Parson, Maggie and Sizemore are great. I even like the colours and lines people complain so much about. Now I just wonder if that makes me pretentious or a flat out liar.
teratorn

Postby DevilDan » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:36 am

teratorn wrote:I seem to be the only one liking Pat Jacobs' work. I particularly liked the pikers, his Parson looked like the "real" Parson, Maggie and Sizemore are great. I even like the colours and lines people complain so much about. Now I just wonder if that makes me pretentious or a flat out liar.

Is that Genuity? Both Moose and I liked it. I found it quite funny.
DevilDan

Postby PhoenixTalion » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:40 am

I like it... except for the doorhinges. The doorhinges bother me, in an arty way. I like the walking-into-the-fourth-wall angle, it was a good choice.
|Icons|Art|Fanfic|

~Robert Heinlein
PhoenixTalion

Postby moose o death » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:26 am

yeah i liked genuity's update. i prefer rykka's in a rank from first to last point of view. and so far they have all, bar one, been good.

the latest one is good but the drunken one really didn't sit well with me, too far removed. can't wait for joyriding dwagons though. i'm hoping parson can ride dwagons for that image alone.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Next

Return to Reactions