Summer Updates – 023

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Summer Updates – 023

Postby balder » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:00 am

New One is up.
balder

Summer Update - 023

Postby balder » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:02 am

New one is up, plus, read the news. A picnic might not sound very interesting, but then, neither does tea time.
balder

Re: Summer Update - 023

Postby Werekat » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:12 am

I... I have to ask. Did you name the Twoll "Butt" in Russian on purpose, or is it just a coincidence?
Werekat

Postby Justyn » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:14 am

Retconjuration. (I see what you did there. ;) )

Anyway, now that Deletionism is gone, any hints as to what it was going to be, or did you just rename it?
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby balder » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:15 am

Werekat wrote:I... I have to ask. Did you name the Twoll "Butt" in Russian on purpose, or is it just a coincidence?

Sometimes a joke has been a coincidence in Erfworld. But I never admit when that happens. :)
balder

Postby cloudbreaker » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:16 am

So twolls are good at making things? That's pretty cool and a somewhat unexpected twist. Although as I was reading the news post, I could have sworn the change was going to be that regeneration was going to mean re-generation. As in, the twoll took the potato container and remade it (re-generated it) into a picnic basket. :P
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Werekat » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:17 am

Gotcha. %-)

In any case, I'm reading through the archives now, what with being away on vacation and work trips most of the summer. For what it's worth, I'm enjoying them greatly! Transylvito has been simply amazing. :)
Werekat

Postby gameboy1234 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 am

Hmm, interesting. Parson thinks he can walk two to three hexes. On road? Over rough terrain? I wonder if we'll get a clue soon how "big" a hex really is.

It feels to me like a hex might be one mile, but a hex could be more. I can walk four miles in about an hour, on level roads (well, sidewalks). I could speculate that Parson is going to walk more than an hour before he has his picnic.

Yeah, and the twoll does seem to have a Russian accent, doesn't he? "Peekneek."

P.S. Retconning is ok with me, esp. when you let us know why you did it.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby shadow729 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:49 am

I really like the obvious difference between Bogroll and all the other Twolls. In fact, I like the difference between him and all the other henchmen. Originally, he was the butt of their jokes and everything, but he proved to be the most developed, brave and strong of them all. And I think it's a tribute to him as a character that not every Twoll is going to be just like him.

Retconjuration is really clever. It's the perfect way to fix mistakes.
Don't make me roll initiative

shadow729

Postby shadow729 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:57 am

gameboy1234 wrote:Hmm, interesting. Parson thinks he can walk two to three hexes. On road? Over rough terrain? I wonder if we'll get a clue soon how "big" a hex really is.

It feels to me like a hex might be one mile, but a hex could be more. I can walk four miles in about an hour, on level roads (well, sidewalks). I could speculate that Parson is going to walk more than an hour before he has his picnic.

You still have to consider the fact that he's probably not on a mount, so he probably can't move that many hexes. I mean, he only has a certain movement he can take. It's not so much about how long the hexes are and how fast it takes, it's about what his movement comes down to in numbers. So chances are he can move between 3 and 4 hexes, because if he goes out two, he can eat and then use two to return. Or something like that.

shadow729

Postby robbak » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:59 am

Hmm 'Feeg Newton'? Either I didn't get it, or you have an unusual, but highly commendable, knowledge of English humorous literature. The only link my mind makes is to a very minor character in the Rumpole series - A capable PI who they called 'Fig' Newton to remind themselves of his full name, Ferdinand Ian Gerald, when they called him in court.
Seems that I didn't get it. Wikipedia just told me, and, as 'Fig Newtons' were probable well known in England in the 70s, John Mortimer was probably referring to the fruit pastry as well, which is unknown still in Australia.
robbak

Postby Wonton » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:09 am

Ummmmm.... can I just say 'I don't get it'? XD

What's Retconjuration? I'm missing the joke here, obviously.
Wonton

Postby gameboy1234 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:14 am

shadow729 wrote:It's not so much about how long the hexes are and how fast it takes, it's about what his movement comes down to in numbers. So chances are he can move between 3 and 4 hexes,

I don't think Parson has a "move." I think he just walks, so I'm saying we might get a clue as to how big a hex really is.

Erfworld is not a game. Some of this stuff is real, not just a simulation of game mechanics. So I think Parson's "realness" is going to interact with the world's "gameness" in odd ways. One of which is Parson doesn't (apparently) have stats. He just is. And he walks, he doesn't have move.

I often use game-like comparisons when I describe Erfworld events, but the authors don't consider Erfworld to be a game, it's a "real" place.

My 2 cents, anyway.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Justyn » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:17 am

Wonton wrote:Ummmmm.... can I just say 'I don't get it'? XD

What's Retconjuration? I'm missing the joke here, obviously.

Take your pick on your explanation: The long and incredibly in-depth Wikipedia article; or, the short, funny, and to the point TV Tropes article.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn

Postby Occasional Sage » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:07 am

Parson looked at him closely, but there was no glimmer of...well, anything at all in the Twoll's eyes.

Why does Zhopa have two eyes?
Avatar courtesy of Dr. Bath of GitP!
Occasional Sage

Postby Arkaim » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:16 am

Occasional Sage wrote:
Parson looked at him closely, but there was no glimmer of...well, anything at all in the Twoll's eyes.

The Twoll from Book 1, comic strip 10 has two eyes also.
Arkaim
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Porthos » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:22 am

re: The News Update:

The way I figure it, if Hugo Award winning artists can change their comics if they feel they need to, so can you. :P (link is a bit of a rant, so be careful. :twisted: )

Seriously, Kaja's and Phil's attitude of "what's on the webpage is the Rough Draft and what's in the book is the Final Draft" is the correct one IMO. Yeah it might be a bit off putting for people who only read the comic online, but, when push comes to shove, the printed stuff is what's making you money (even when taking donations into account). The online stuff is the advertisment for the book. ;)

Besides, if the changes aren't that major (and let's face it, this one isn't that big), who really should care? "No one" is the answer of course. When push comes to shove, you (and in this case the "you" is Rob and Jamie) have to be happy with your work. And if the choice is an unhappy creator or a couple of unhappy fans because something minor got changed...

Well I know which one I want you to choose. :)

Just some late night thoughts.

*goes back to lurking*

EDIT: Mind you, I find the "Retconjuration" a particularly funny way of handling the problem. And one that pokes fun at the whole situation. I just don't think you even needed to go that far in justifying it.

Though since it led to a laugh, it's probably all good. 8-)
Porthos

Postby shadow729 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:42 am

gameboy1234 wrote:I don't think Parson has a "move." I think he just walks, so I'm saying we might get a clue as to how big a hex really is.

Erfworld is not a game. Some of this stuff is real, not just a simulation of game mechanics. So I think Parson's "realness" is going to interact with the world's "gameness" in odd ways. One of which is Parson doesn't (apparently) have stats. He just is. And he walks, he doesn't have move.

I often use game-like comparisons when I describe Erfworld events, but the authors don't consider Erfworld to be a game, it's a "real" place.

My 2 cents, anyway.

I was under the impression that he has stats, just vaguely defined ones that no one knows for sure. I mean, he can't read them, but he is clearly affected by various portions of the game play.

Of course some of the stuff is real, but the way I figure it is that they can only move a certain amount, but once they end their movement in a hex, they can do anything they want until their next turn. It seems to be pretty freeing, when you think about it. You can hang out, you can do planning, you can sleep, you can eat, you can do whatever you want, except move beyond the barrier of the hex.

Although, if Parson really can move wherever he wants, that could be really important and awesome. I wonder how much of the game he's bound by. I mean, if Gobwin Knob had fallen, or if Stanley decides to get rid of him, was it possible for Parson to be destroyed? And if he's croaked, will he just die, or will he be sent back to his world? Magic seems to be able to effect him, but I wonder how much of the rest of the game mechanics do.

shadow729

Postby Occasional Sage » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:47 am

Arkaim wrote:
Occasional Sage wrote:

The Twoll from Book 1, comic strip 10 has two eyes also.

I'm not saying it's a mistake. I want to know why some Twolls have one eye, and some two.
Avatar courtesy of Dr. Bath of GitP!
Occasional Sage

Postby HansR » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:10 am

The retconjured Klog 2 has another probably unintended change: Clevermancy now uses elements Life and Motion, previously it used none.
I assume the Titans will apply some Reretconjuration.

By the way, Klog 3 seems to be missing from the Hi-Res Archives.
HansR
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Next

Return to Reactions