Summer Update - 034

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Summer Update - 034

Postby balder » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:02 am

New one is up. Guest art will be added at a later date.
balder

Re: Summer Update - 034

Postby Carlan » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:09 am

I don't think Wrigley will be the last to call this blitz unfair.
Carlan

Postby Anton Gaist » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:17 am

That was one heavy piece of writing.

I wonder, what will he think once he's decrypted?
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby Glenn » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:18 am

Wrigley is probably going to get his spear back. So if he doesn't have to stay in Warchalking, this may actually turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to him.
Glenn

Postby Unclever title » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:27 am

So that's how capturing works in Erfworld at least for generic POWs warlords might have slightly better accommodations though that would make sense to come after the initial capture.

I guess Wrigley never met/saw Ansom before. I very much like observing the thoughts of an infantry unit, one who looked no further in life than the tip of his spear.

It gives a needed psychological look into the average Erfworld denizen, not to mention it paints a vivid picture of Erf war. One the best summer updates.
Unclever title
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:48 am

poor wrigley. i hope he isn't decrypted just so he's spared from becoming one of those freakish puppets.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby DHowett » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:53 am

I wasn't going to register on the forums until I read this update. Not because the update forced me to, no, but I just had to say:
34 was amazing - beyond words, even. It's rare that a piece of writing effects me so deeply, but I was seriously just astounded for five minutes. Just reeling.
Kudos. I've loved ErfWorld, and still do, but this? This is astounding. Touching.
DHowett

Postby darthoctopus » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:05 am

darthoctopus

Postby Lord Kasavin » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:52 am

darthoctopus wrote:Image

Curses, you beat me to pointing out the pun. Also, I find it interesting that chains pop for the remainding defenders when a garrison is taken. I hope we get to read whats going on inside Wanda's mind next or soon.
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby gameboy1234 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:47 am

I found it interesting how little Wrigley feared death. He seemed completely unfazed by it. I suppose all Erfworlders feel this way? If you're popped, and you really have no other existence besides being destined for battle, I suppose you must be also untroubled by the thought of eventually being killed.

If so, I wonder where morale/loyalty comes in. Is it really only relevant for higher level units, warlords, casters and heirs? I can't see a low level unit defecting. Where would they go? What would they do?
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Spot » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:17 am

moose o death wrote:poor wrigley. i hope he isn't decrypted just so he's spared from becoming one of those freakish puppets.

Poor guy. Sad story.

As for being a puppet once Wanda decrypts him, it doesn't seem as if he was ever anything BUT a puppet.

Sometimes, Erfworld doesn't seem all that different from Earth. Change a few words around, and this story could be about almost anyone from a Babylonian conscript in 2000 BC to a rifleman at the Battle of the Marne in the 20th century, and many millions of people in-between.

Nice writing.
I shamelessly stole my avatar from Cloudbreaker :D
Spot

Postby Sokrotes » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:29 am

moose o death wrote:poor wrigley. i hope he isn't decrypted just so he's spared from becoming one of those freakish puppets.

I have to disagree, all he wanted to do all his life was use his spear on something besides a practice dummy. I bet if they gave him his spear back and told him if he fights for Stanley that he can be in the front line stabbing those that made him sit and do nothing all his life he'd do it without even having to be controlled. Stanley can give him what he never had before, a purpose, an actual use.
Sokrotes

Postby Spot » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:52 am

Sokrotes wrote:

Stanley can give him what he never had before, a purpose, an actual use.

Good point.
I shamelessly stole my avatar from Cloudbreaker :D
Spot

Postby BarGamer » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:02 am

Hahaha, Wrigley's mint-condition spear. Nice. He sounds so... deflated. I wonder what's a Bohica, much less a Unatard? I doubt it has much resemblance to a Leotard...

12 stacks means we can assume that there was greater than or equal to 96 units at the battle.
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Justyn » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:18 am

BarGamer wrote:Hahaha, Wrigley's mint-condition spear. Nice. He sounds so... deflated. I wonder what's a Bohica, much less a Unatard? I doubt it has much resemblance to a Leotard...

12 stacks means we can assume that there was greater than or equal to 96 units at the battle.

A unitard is kind of like a leotard with leggings.
"Bohica" is an acronym for "Bend Over, Here It Comes Again", so it's a great name for a border outpost that kept getting conquered.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby DunkelMentat » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:21 am

Maybe the best summer update so far. Stunning.
DunkelMentat

Postby Beholden » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:37 am

With the summer updates I was getting a little worried about the writing guys.... but dammn. Why did I doubt you?

I'd be sad to see a character with such a good exposition vanish. We still have a large Bogroll shaped hole!
Beholden

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:34 am

Poor Wrigley. Never had a chance.

And in retrospective, Stanley was right: there is no difference between him and the royals. I always thought that the garrison of a town "just" fights to the dead, not that they will be automatically tied, left to the non-existent grace of their occupiers. We safely can assume that Ansom (or a unaroyal warlord) already had executed the old garrison of Warchalking the same way.

Oh, and excellent update.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby HandofShadows » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:42 am

[quote="BarGamer"]I wonder what's a Bohica, much less a Unatard? I doubt it has much resemblance to a Leotard...[quote]

Un-tard or unretarded maybe?

Poor Wrigley in many senses. I don't see him so much as a puppet, but as a drone. Good little unit that goes and does it's job, but never thinks for itself. Will units like Wrigley be more self aware after being decrypted? We may see soon.

I know some people want to see inside Wanda's head and it would be interesting, but that might reveal to much at ths time.
HandofShadows

Postby moose o death » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:56 am

Sokrotes wrote:

I have to disagree, all he wanted to do all his life was use his spear on something besides a practice dummy. I bet if they gave him his spear back and told him if he fights for Stanley that he can be in the front line stabbing those that made him sit and do nothing all his life he'd do it without even having to be controlled. Stanley can give him what he never had before, a purpose, an actual use.

i could never agree with that logic. i know these guys have next to no free will under any circumstance, but there is something un right about decrypt. it's the confused look on their faces. it 's the being completely refocussed, the complete change of personality. they might still have their memories but they'd still be hollow shades of their former self. they are not living again, they're just not allowed to be dead yet.

someone needs to put the witch down hard.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Next

Return to Reactions