Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 026

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 026

Postby mortissimus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:29 am

reignofevil wrote:In Erfworld terms, Lord (and by extension lady) is pretty much meaningless as a title.

I agree.

reignofevil wrote:All the good titles cost schmuckers.

Disagree. Heir is the only title we know can be designated - to great cost in schmuckers. We also know that the cost for popping an Heir is measured in turns.

My guess is that there is no additional cost to popping commanders as Royal or Noble, it is just that only a side ruled by a Royal can pop Royals (supported by some klog). But since Royals do pop Nobles (like Artemis), while Royals are better (klog) I guess they can only pop Royals in their capitol and the others become Nobles. For a side with a Noble ruler (which must be able to exist even if we have not seen one yet) I would figure that those popped in the capitol get rank befitting a child of the ruler while those popped elsewhere gets lesser titles. Not that Duke is better then Baron as far as we have been told.

And as far as the question of the origin of Royalty, they were probably created by the Titans, or at least that is what Ansom appears to believe. Still, a commoner side could become a Noble or Royal by turning a Noble or Royal and then designate that commander as Heir.
mortissimus

Postby Oberon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:38 pm

mortissimus wrote:

Disagree. Heir is the only title we know can be designated - to great cost in schmuckers. We also know that the cost for popping an Heir is measured in turns.
Erm, you missed a few. Stanley was promoted to Warlord, a title, and then to CWL, another title. Then he was designated Heir, yet another title. All cost shmuckers (well, CWL may be a freeby, a super-set of Warlord). Yeah, some titles come as popped also. That doesn't make what reignofevil said wrong, so much as a bit incomplete. And if I may be so bold as to speak for him, I believe he was referring to the fact that Lord/Lady are titles that don't actually do anything for you, mechanics-wise.

Even more muddying: What's the difference between a title and a special? You can promote a unit to Warlord, and you can promote a unit to heavy. Both are just labels added to the unit which grant specific game mechanics. But who would call 'heavy' (or garrison, or field, etc.) a title? Commander, for example, seems to be a title/special that offers no game mechanic other than the ability to order non-commanders around.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Amado » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:02 pm

I wonder if Rob finds the King / Queen / Royal / Noble / Lord / Lady / Overlord speculation amusing.

At what point does one change one's mind from "this active discussion is good for business!" to "my fans are becoming frustrated on this point" ...?

Or perhaps it's a "my fans will be more satisfied if they figure it out on their own, and I have no 'story' reason to reveal this detail yet, so I'll let this evolve organically..."

Above, I'm just speculating idly, and my questions posed are more rhetorical.

I'll state a position, though. I'm presently of the belief that there's a high probability that it's as simple as this: 2 kinds of sides, Royal (ruled by Kings/Queens) and non-Royal (ruled by Overlords). Royal sides can opt to pop Nobles, non-Royal sides can't. A Noble designated as Heir (whether popped as such or designated later) becomes King or Queen. A non-Noble designated as Heir becomes Overlord. Titles such as Lord Hamster and Lady Firebaugh are non-indicative Nobility or, really, much of anything.

I further and more speculatively posit that the existence of both Royal and non-Royal sides was an initial way that the Titans encouraged conflict. "Start the rumor that we only want Royals to be leading sides. That oughtta keep 'em fighting."

Sure, there's other reasons for conflict, the most basic being "if we don't fight, some other side somewhere *will*, and we risk eradication; we'd better fight."

I mean, if someone were to solve THAT basic equation, we'd have a decent chance of surviving another couple thousand years to become a truly space-faring civilization. But I digress.
Amado

Postby Amado » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:34 pm

Oh, and if I may double-post (as this is on a completely different topic), I'll add this, from the movie "Thank You For Smoking" (I'll quote the long quotation in this Spoiler tag):

Spoiler: show
Joey Naylor: ...so what happens when you're wrong?
Nick Naylor: Whoa, Joey I'm never wrong.
Joey Naylor: But you can't always be right...
Nick Naylor: Well, if it's your job to be right, then you're never wrong.
Joey Naylor: But what if you are wrong?
Nick Naylor: OK, let's say that you're defending chocolate, and I'm defending vanilla. Now if I were to say to you: 'Vanilla is the best flavour ice-cream', you'd say...
Joey Naylor: No, chocolate is.
Nick Naylor: Exactly, but you can't win that argument... so, I'll ask you: so you think chocolate is the end all and the all of ice-cream, do you?
Joey Naylor: It's the best ice-cream, I wouldn't order any other.
Nick Naylor: Oh! So it's all chocolate for you is it?
Joey Naylor: Yes, chocolate is all I need.
Nick Naylor: Well, I need more than chocolate, and for that matter I need more than vanilla. I believe that we need freedom. And choice when it comes to our ice-cream, and that Joey Naylor, that is the defintion of liberty.
Joey Naylor: But that's not what we're talking about
Nick Naylor: Ah! But that's what I'm talking about.
Joey Naylor: ...but you didn't prove that vanilla was the best...
Nick Naylor: I didn't have to. I proved that you're wrong, and if you're wrong I'm right.
Joey Naylor: But you still didn't convince me
Nick Naylor: It's that I'm not after you. I'm after them.
(points into the crowd)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427944/quotes?qt=qt0418087

Howsoever sound your argument, I find you more convincing if you're not a jack-hole in the way you argue it. Just sayin'; just encouraging everyone not to be arrogant jack-holes. (Not that I'll ever win that battle.)
Amado

Postby Kreistor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Amado wrote:Howsoever sound your argument, I find you more convincing if you're not a jack-hole in the way you argue it. Just sayin'; just encouraging everyone not to be arrogant jack-holes. (Not that I'll ever win that battle.)

No, you're absolutely right. How you debate is definitely just as important as the topic and whether you're right (which in debates is often a case, like the ice cream, of being right in certain circumstances). Arguing a topic in the wrong place and time can be just as damaging as being wrong.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby drachefly » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:29 pm

Kreistor wrote:Bland's gone way off the deep end with personal insults, and Drach's just trolling.

Oh my. What prompted that?

drachefly wrote:Kriestor, holy titans, you just keeep digging.

Which two lines should you use? The two plots are the SAME CURVE... and on the first plot, the two lines from the second plot are both indistinguishable. Just by going out to a larger scale, you've basically approximated 10^16 as... 50.

Go out another 40, and the steep line on the first plot will be up around 8*10^18, while the curve it's supposed to be 'within 5%' of is around 4*10^34, which is to say, around a quadrillion times larger.

Exponential and linear are VERY VERY DIFFERENT.

I don't see it. Outside of the first line, it's arithmetic.
drachefly

Postby Whispri » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:44 pm

Noooooooooo Part II is going to be from the Wack from Faq's point of view. *Sob* Coooooome baaaaaack Waaandaaaaaa! *Sniffle*

This means that either there's going to be a huuuuuuuuuuge time jump... Or Jillian was likely popped in response to Marie spotting Wanda. I'm thinking 'self fulflilling prophecy'...

Oberon wrote:I've brought up the 'Lady' issue before. Fact is, in Stupidworld 'Lady' and 'Lord' are titles of nobility. The usage in Erfworld may differ in meaning, but in a non-noble side with an Overlord rather than a King or a Queen, having units popped into that side with the title of Lady does muddy a lot of water.

So are Knights though, I agree that the title 'Lady' indicates some sort of heightened social status, perhaps minor nobility, but when they say 'noble', they seem to mean someone like the Vicount of Vitalis. Of course, Wanda's has the whole 'Overlord's daughter' thing going, in terms of position in her Side she's the social equivalent of a Princess.

reignofevil wrote:I would think "Lord Hamster" would settle it, he was not popped royal or noble (or hell, even popped), and furthermore he is not even on a noble or royal side. He is quite literally as far removed from the concept as a unit can be, and boom, five minutes into Erfworld and he gets to pick the title and from then on it is his. For free. In Erfworld terms, Lord (and by extension lady) is pretty much meaningless as a title. All the good titles cost schmuckers.

Furthermore, units even KNOW that Lord is not worth a hill of beans, check it out.
http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F091.jpg

I suppose the only question is why we don't see MORE ladies and lords.

I will have to reread to find out!

He could have called himself the Baron of Fentlewick just as easily. He could actually, really be the Baron of Fentlewick and it would hold as much value on Erf as if he'd invented the title on the spot. Actually now I think of it, have they ever used the title of 'Baron'?

It doesn't necessarily mean that 'Lord' has no value, just that it isn't enough for Ansom's standards.

No you mention it, we may actually have seen more Kings/Queens than we have Lords/Ladies.

Kreistor wrote: I have no idea how you got there from my statements.

Anyway, I just reviewed Book 1, and Wanda's scrolls came from her private stash. But note that when Wanda was asked why she didn't mention them, she does not respond with "They're mine to use as I please", but with "You didn't [ask]". Remember that this game treats all Units of a Side somewhat as slaves. Possession and ownership are cloudy issues.

You don't give an allied Barbarian 500000 schmuckers to buy a spell and let her walk into the MK with it.

There is no chance that we're this deep into Book 2 and it hasn't been mentioned that Wanda is a Barbarian ally. I don't know how you can even entertain the idea. That would have been on the original character pages.

Barbarian is barbarian, regardless of how you got there. No one can tell the difference. Ansom couldn't tell Jillian was a Royal, much less a dethroned Overlord. Wanda is, in Book 0, a Barbarian, and it matters not one little bit how she got that way, except to her own ego. We know barbarian casters can join Sides, so at this point, no, Wanda is a member of GK until something specifically says otherwise.

Go back and re-read that. You grossly misinterpreted my statement. I was calling a rule that distinguished between Barbarian and Sided Warlords for the purposes of determining who could Turn as petty, which is dead opposite to your interpretation. I want them treated identically with no exception for Side status, which treats both the same: fair treatment for two differently described individuals cannot be characterized as petty.

It is what you are arguing in support of, with regards to Wanda and Parson. We are after all, talking of a scenario in which she is an ally, rather than another of his slaves.

Notice how he interrupted her before she could finish speaking? What was it she was about say he didn't ask about, hmm? Allied, means allied, it means she has her own purse and her own possessions, things that are hers and no one elses.

You do if you trust her implicitly and the alternative is letting the money fall into the hands of your sworn enemy. Even if she spent the money on a perfect girlfriend spell and eloped, he'd still have had all the money he'd need if Ansom couldn't be stopped.

By that argument, neither Wanda, nor Jillian can be deposed Rulers/Heirs as it wasn't mentioned in the cast pages.

The only time a Barbarian Caster from the Magick Kingdom is known to have joined forces with a Capital Side, Jillian's Turnawitch, she did so under contract. To head off any claims about the Vampires' Moneymancer, captured Cities keep on popping the same kind of Units as they did prior to capture unless razed and rebuilt, mark that. Barbarians can be hired. They've been shown to be hired. Never have they been shown to be absorbed.

Barbarian Warlords are Sided Warlords. Non-Capital Sides. Some of them, like Wanda, lead non-Capital Sides, as an Overlord would lead a Capital Side. No Ruler has ever been turned. Nor for that matter, has their been any known occurance of Natural Allies, non-Capital Sides against whom Barbarian Sides would be balanced, turning. Breaking alliance yes, abandoning their Tribe to serve as a Capital Side Unit? Never. And again, Wanda was promoted to heir at great expense, that isn't something that can be handwaved away, to do so would violate Numbers. Sure it's an invisible stat, but so what, so's a Caster's Discipline.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Kreistor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Whispri wrote:Barbarian Warlords are Sided Warlords. Non-Capital Sides. Some of them, like Wanda, lead non-Capital Sides, as an Overlord would lead a Capital Side. No Ruler has ever been turned. Nor for that matter, has their been any known occurance of Natural Allies, non-Capital Sides against whom Barbarian Sides would be balanced, turning. Breaking alliance yes, abandoning their Tribe to serve as a Capital Side Unit? Never. And again, Wanda was promoted to heir at great expense, that isn't something that can be handwaved away, to do so would violate Numbers. Sure it's an invisible stat, but so what, so's a Caster's Discipline.

1. Natural Allies cannot form capital sides, and so by extension cannot join a Capital Side. They cannot Turn, and tehrefore are not examples of Barbarians.

Barbarians can form Capital Sides, even Royal Sides, and we have seen Jillian do exactly that. Since Warlords of Capital Sides can Turn, there seems no sense in a Rule that would limit the same person from Turning the day before his Overlord created the Side. One day he can't Turn, and the next he can, because of an act of his Ruler? That's where that pettiness I was talking about comes in.

Oh, and I'll say the same to you as I have said to a lot of people with theories around here. "Plausible" does not equate to "probable". There have been a lot of wild speculations here over the years, and I'm just as guilty of creating some wacky, though not inconsistent ideas. It is important to be able to recognize the difference. Just because an idea fits the current known evidence, and exists only because no evidence that it doesn't exist has been presented, does not mean it should carry weight. It is impossible to write a comic like this where someone can give you the statement "X does not exist" for every possible theory, because theories are infinite. Looking at where such statements should have occurred is important. And the actual answer is on the original character description pages.

And that is found right here:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erfcast.html

Jillian:
Capital: None

Wanda:
Capital: Gobwin Knob.

Sorry, but no. We have known from day one that Wanda is a full fledged member of GK. If she was otherwise, she wouldn't have a Capital in her original description.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby Keighvin1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:39 pm

Whispri, why do you think part 2 will be Jillian? Have you heard something definite or what?
Keighvin1
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:56 pm

Umm guys? Nobility is important. See here: Nobility is like a lesser form of royalty. In fact, to Ansom it grants the right to rule just as much as royalty does. Nobles are desended from titans in the same way royals are. When Ansom was claiming Parson's title was meaningless, I think he meant that Parson was NOT a Lord. Ansom wasn't saying "Lord" didn't mean anything.
Lamech

Postby MonteCristo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:40 pm

Keighvin1 wrote:Whispri, why do you think part 2 will be Jillian? Have you heard something definite or what?

A comment from the facebook page...

Erfworld
I am spending a lot of time thinking about Jillian's "childhood" lately. Then I saw this: http://imgur.com/gxdUf
Only the Dead - Imgur

Brent Van Keulen So does that mean that Jillian will be the next person covered?

Erfworld ‎Yeah part 2 is told from Jillian's POV

Though I do not think that Jillian's detractors should see this as doom and gloom. Afterall just look at what these text updates managed to do with wanda. Wanda with her fatalist attitude was growing to be rather unlikable in the later parts of the comic, but this prequel story cast a whole new light on her character and made her quite endearing.
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:23 am

Kreistor wrote:1. Natural Allies ... cannot Turn, and tehrefore are not examples of Barbarians.

This must be some technicality, because we've seen 2 instances of natural allies turning.
drachefly

Postby Kandarin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:14 am

Now it finally makes sense why Stanley's "plan from the Titans" limited him to three Knights plus Jack - he was expecting to be in exactly the same situation, and mounts count toward the total of eight while Barbarian Warlords do not.
Kandarin

Postby mortissimus » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:10 am

Oberon wrote:
mortissimus wrote:

Erm, you missed a few. Stanley was promoted to Warlord, a title, and then to CWL, another title. Then he was designated Heir, yet another title. All cost shmuckers (well, CWL may be a freeby, a super-set of Warlord). Yeah, some titles come as popped also. That doesn't make what reignofevil said wrong, so much as a bit incomplete. And if I may be so bold as to speak for him, I believe he was referring to the fact that Lord/Lady are titles that don't actually do anything for you, mechanics-wise.

Even more muddying: What's the difference between a title and a special? You can promote a unit to Warlord, and you can promote a unit to heavy. Both are just labels added to the unit which grant specific game mechanics. But who would call 'heavy' (or garrison, or field, etc.) a title? Commander, for example, seems to be a title/special that offers no game mechanic other than the ability to order non-commanders around.

Ah, fair point. I was thinking (but did not write) about noble stupidworld titles, but you are right warlord and CWL are military titles in Erfworld. And then we have the promotions to heavy and field...

Maybe you can promote units to Noble or Royal too, just that we have not seen it? Would probably demand a ruler with better nobility-title then the one promoted to. And if so, could a caster ruler promote units to casters...?
mortissimus

Postby Oberon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:56 am

Whispri wrote:Of course, Wanda's has the whole 'Overlord's daughter' thing going, in terms of position in her Side she's the social equivalent of a Princess.
The thing is, to any Royal Side, she most emphatically is not the the social equivalent of a Princess. She is rather a jumped up commoner, claiming the titles and airs of those who have the true mandate of the Titans. From the POV of most Royals, that is. Their heightened stats demonstrate to them clearly that the Titans intended them to rule. And who could say that they are wrong?

And then Wanda attuned, and she and Stanley started a holy war over the mandate of the Titans being more valid to an attuned wielder of a Tool than to a Royal. But that's besides the point.
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Oberon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:06 am

Kreistor wrote:1. Natural Allies cannot form capital sides, and so by extension cannot join a Capital Side. They cannot Turn, and tehrefore are not examples of Barbarians.
King Saline IV might beg to differ, were he not a head short due to the turning of his natural allies the Gobwins. Duncan Scone may also beg to differ, but currently he is rather happy with his position as FAQ CWL, due to the turning of his natural allies the Western Giants. That word cannot that you use, I do not think it means what you think it means.
Oberon

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:03 am

MonteCristo wrote:
Keighvin1 wrote:Whispri, why do you think part 2 will be Jillian? Have you heard something definite or what?

A comment from the facebook page...

{snip}

Though I do not think that Jillian's detractors should see this as doom and gloom. Afterall just look at what these text updates managed to do with wanda. Wanda with her fatalist attitude was growing to be rather unlikable in the later parts of the comic, but this prequel story cast a whole new light on her character and made her quite endearing.

You doubly ninjaed me (cuhse jooo!!!1123) because you're absolutely right on both counts.

I noticed the FB page comment, and just like you said, I was intrigued. I never cared much for Wanda either way when the comics were running, but the prequels have made her not just somewhat sympathetic ("you understand her plight"), but darn likable ("you wanna hang out with her") to me. The Fellows acting as chaperons bit- priceless.

So anyway, not being a fan of Jillian, I'm genuinely curious as to what the prequel book about her will manage to do. Curious, intrigued, expectative.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:27 am

Whispri wrote:Noooooooooo Part II is going to be from the Wack from Faq's point of view. *Sob* Coooooome baaaaaack Waaandaaaaaa! *Sniffle*

This means that either there's going to be a huuuuuuuuuuge time jump... Or Jillian was likely popped in response to Marie spotting Wanda. I'm thinking 'self fulflilling prophecy'...

Wait WHAT? Where'd you hear that? I have the exact opposite reaction cus I LOVE Jack even more than Wanda...but I don't wanna get excited without evidence!
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:45 am

Evidence is on Erf's FB page. Next to a picture of a cute, cuddly, vicious little kid.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby onlyme » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:09 am

Oberon wrote:I've brought up the 'Lady' issue before. Fact is, in Stupidworld 'Lady' and 'Lord' are titles of nobility.

Let's ask wikipedia:

Lord is a deferntial appellation for a person or deity who as authority, control or power over others; a master, chief, or ruler. In only few cases 'lord' is a substantive title in itself.

While in modern english most "lords" are usually peers, there are still enough of the old meaning left
in "Lord Major", "landlord", "warlord", ....

My guess for Erfwold is: Lord and Lady is simple a dereferential way to refer to people. Units with "count" or stuff like that are nobles, Kings, Queens, Princes and Princesses are royality.
onlyme

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions