Summer Updates - 039

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 039

Postby moose o death » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:40 pm

i was re reading the updates, the bracer is a mathamancer item now. parson and sizemore discuss it when he recieves the bracer. sizemore tells him it's mathamancy. parson assumes it runs on his watch and isn't really mathamancy...but more recent updates ahve confirmed it can do things no earth claculator could do now.

sizemore can't decide if it's an item or an artifact it's that powerful.

99.9999% sure that thing has no problems with battery life, the bracer even glows which from an art point of view appears to have been dropped for simplicity.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby DevilDan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:48 pm

I don't take anything for granted when it comes to an artifact from a different universe and the products of that spell. Maybe the bracer provides the info on Erf and the interface and the watch provides the raw computational power.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby raphfrk » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:16 pm

moose o death wrote:i was re reading the updates, the bracer is a mathamancer item now. parson and sizemore discuss it when he recieves the bracer. sizemore tells him it's mathamancy. parson assumes it runs on his watch and isn't really mathamancy...but more recent updates ahve confirmed it can do things no earth claculator could do now.

That isn't necessarily true. It is possible that the sheer speed of the watch is what makes the difference. Perhaps, other mathamancy items would be vastly slower.

A mathamancer might have to do calculations by hand. Relative to that, the IC in the watch performs the calculation instantly.

However, magic in Erfworld is also capable of doing things that are not possible in RL.

Thus, the bracer might do things like convert voice to equations and have a basic ability to convert words/thoughts into actions, and the IC in the watch could provide raw speed.

DevilDan wrote:I don't take anything for granted when it comes to an artifact from a different universe and the products of that spell. Maybe the bracer provides the info on Erf and the interface and the watch provides the raw computational power.

... that's what I get for not reading to the end of the thread before replying :).
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:19 pm

even so batteries are not likely ever to be an issue. batteries can be recharged even those which are not designed for it. mending holes in socks is far more dificult. if parson's socks can be restored his t shirt restored these wouldn't be common materials in erfworld. a watch cell is 3v of low current lithium cell. it has an operational lifetime of between 2-5 YEARS. we know a turn is equal to 24 hours so he can wander about using that bracer for longer than any erfworlder appears to have survived. IF it still requires a battery at all. it's likely the whole thing converted to magic when it was converted to mathamancy.

so take your pick, the watch runs out of battery life at turn 1500-ish or it has a fixed number of calculations per turn, the number potantially being so high as to be considered infinite.

can we close this arguement now as it has nowhere to exist. the watch has a virtually unlimited number of uses and parson will likley be croaked well before it ever becomes an issue.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby noxharrington » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:42 pm

II didn't read all through this thread but I want to say that this cute little summer update has the potential to indicate a power greater than an Arkentool on Parson's arm. Unless limits on the bracer's power are established soon, I will always be asking why Parson doesn't use it constantly.

I'd compare it (in fact I already did in another thread) to showing a gun in Act I - it better be fired before Act III. Well, this is a huge gun. If it doesn't fire hugely, we better know that it isn't loaded.
noxharrington

Postby moose o death » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:09 pm

you necro'd the update to point out how much of a fan you are of a calculator? you must be an accountant or something.
moose o death

Postby Anca » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:02 pm

moose o death wrote:you necro'd the update to point out how much of a fan you are of a calculator? you must be an accountant or something.

For future reference: Is a week long enough for it to count as necro around here? *curious*
Anca

Postby moose o death » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:03 am

i would say so for the reaction page. there is perfectly valid everything else erfworld page to discuss specifics of things from updates. there is an average of 2 pages a week. so conversations that ended a week ago are more or less in the back of the mind.

nox harrington is basicly saying precisely the same things in the "what would you ask of the bracer" thread in that forum. so yeah. it's repeating the same information for the sake of it. why bump this update now? the discussion is somewhere else.
moose o death

Postby Anca » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:04 am

Yeah, that sounds reasonable to me. :)
Anca

Postby noxharrington » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:38 am

moose o death wrote:why bump this update now? the discussion is somewhere else.

Uh, sorry? No. Not sorry. Absolutely nothing to be sorry about. For the record, my contribution will stay with its appropriate source, in addition to the specific discussions sprung from that source.
Also, if you considered this an objectionable post, you were certainly under no obligation to respond to it. Your scolding will inform my future posts, but I can't say I expect it will change them much.
noxharrington

Postby moose o death » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:58 am

then re read them. i haven't scolded you. at best it's passive aggresive. i asked why you brought back a 6 update old topic to say what the general thread had already said and had moved into the OTHER forum. you even admit to not having read the discussion. everyone agree's the bracer is powerful. sizemore tells us that much early in book 1. he would know he's the generic mancy info character.

there is pages of people saying what you have.
moose o death

Postby noxharrington » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:16 am

moose o death wrote:there is pages of people saying what you have.

Still... gosh. I'm working on it, but... just... not... sorry.

If you can find anyone making my delightful point about the obligation that this introduction puts on the story (gun? act III? sterling.) feel free to quote it at me. The summer update to which this refers is how old? Not very. If we're not supposed to talk about moments in the story by commenting on the thread DEDICATED TO THOSE MOMENTS, that should be made more clear. I would say 'thank you' for informing me of an unwritten message-board standard of not reviving old threads, but... you seem to be the only one with a problem. The bracer is as important as anything in this comic. I was interested enough in it to register and comment wherever available. What exactly is your point, "calling me out" regarding how important the point I was making was?
noxharrington

Postby moose o death » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:33 am

he's been using it since he got it. the story doesn't post billboards drawing attention to what amounts to parson using a calculator. it's mentioned again in 44. the word bracer isn't but he was running numbers in the afternoon.

your entirely too attached to that thing. your gonna blow a gasket over nothing.
moose o death

Postby noxharrington » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:42 am

moose o death wrote:the story doesn't post billboards drawing attention to what amounts to parson using a calculator...
your entirely too attached to that thing. your gonna blow a gasket over nothing.

I'm not upset about the bracer. I'm intrigued by the bracer. If you don't understand why, or understand the ways in which it is NOT like using a calculator, please refer to the other threads - since you're opposed to reviving this one (though not, I notice, so opposed that you refrain from posting here).

Intrigued by the bracer - upset by your hostility. Cut it out. There's no reason I shouldn't be posting as I have.
noxharrington

Previous

Return to Reactions