Summer Updates - 039

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 039

Postby The Shadow » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:16 am

Hugely enjoyable update! Though Charlie being Charlie, I wonder if he is playing a deeper game here than we realize. I find it very suspicious that Charlie would fish for a compliment in such a clumsy fashion: "That was clever, right?" He doesn't need affirmation from Parson; he's trying to distract Parson from something.

I wish the 'Parson is a Hippiemancer' meme would die. I've never thought for a moment that was more than a convenient lie on Janis' part to keep Parson from being immediately croaked. I mean, if he were demonstrably a Hippiemancer, there would be no issue with him going back to the Magic Kingdom, right?

Though he may be a Hippiemancer in a more metaphorical sense, in that he is meant to bring peace to Erfworld.
The Shadow
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:13 am

Arkaim wrote:
moose o death wrote:all things are restored to full capacity at turns start

I'm pretty sure it took Wanda longer than a turn to fully recover.

based on? she was fine the next day. the link was broken on RCC's turn so she was incapacitated for the next turn she was fine again during RCC's next turn from memory. she annihilated the air units before they left for stanley and stanley left on GK's next turn.

if you refer to when she fell off the mount. that wasn't even the next day she was back up again. healing scrolls win
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby ShieldOfAthena » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:33 am

moose o death wrote:
Arkaim wrote:
moose o death wrote:all things are restored to full capacity at turns start

I'm pretty sure it took Wanda longer than a turn to fully recover.

based on? she was fine the next day. the link was broken on RCC's turn so she was incapacitated for the next turn she was fine again during RCC's next turn from memory. she annihilated the air units before they left for stanley and stanley left on GK's next turn.

if you refer to when she fell off the mount. that wasn't even the next day she was back up again. healing scrolls win
She was still stuttering. It took her more then one of GKs turns to recover from the Thinkamancer spell on Jillian backlashing.
ShieldOfAthena
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Justyn » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:03 am

ShieldOfAthena wrote:
moose o death wrote:
Arkaim wrote:I'm pretty sure it took Wanda longer than a turn to fully recover.

She was still stuttering. It took her more then one of GKs turns to recover from the Thinkamancer spell on Jillian backlashing.

And on top of that, it was with Maggie's help.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby reteo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:27 am

The Shadow wrote:I wish the 'Parson is a Hippiemancer' meme would die. I've never thought for a moment that was more than a convenient lie on Janis' part to keep Parson from being immediately croaked. I mean, if he were demonstrably a Hippiemancer, there would be no issue with him going back to the Magic Kingdom, right?

Is there a Word of God I'm missing? Because the "meme" will only die once all ambiguity over the matter has been resolved, either from a post in Janis's perspective, demonstrable hippiemancy on Parson's part, or via the author's own statement. And I've yet to see the first two played out.

Back to the topic at hand, either Charlie is really flummoxed, or else he's still in manipulation mode. Why else would he actively send a pause followed by a frowning face? You'd think someone skilled as Charlie at keeping his thoughts to himself would be better able to keep a poker... book.
reteo

Postby raphfrk » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:50 am

Lightbender wrote:Not necessarily a bad thing. If you charge Charlie an outrageous price for passage through GK battlespace, he'll either refuse and the situation remains the same or he'll accept, and GK winds up being better off and all Charlie gets is some minor information that he'd soon discover anyway.

"What is the minimum price we ask so as to make it worth our while giving Charlie overflight rights?"

"What price will give a 50% chance of Charlie accepting the offer?"

If they do offer it, they should ask for advanced notification of any overflight. Ofc, that makes overflight less valuable to Charlie.

Btw, given that GK is using hats for communication now, Parson must have told Stanley that Charlie can hack the eyebooks. It seems reasonable that he has also told him about communicating with Charlie.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Yosarian » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:00 am

The Shadow wrote:I wish the 'Parson is a Hippiemancer' meme would die. I've never thought for a moment that was more than a convenient lie on Janis' part to keep Parson from being immediately croaked. I mean, if he were demonstrably a Hippiemancer, there would be no issue with him going back to the Magic Kingdom, right?

Eh. I know a few of you think that, but I doubt Janis would actually lie; she's sort of one of the "magical, wise old despenser of wisdom" archtype, and someone like that, when they say something that dosn't seem to make any sense, it generally turns out to be true, at least in some way. I don't think Janis is the type to ever actually lie, more the "what you hear is not quite what you think you heard" type.

Plus, we still don't know exactly why Parson didn't disband when he went into the magic kingdom.

I don't know. No one can see Parson's stats, so we don't know exactally what he is. Being from Earth, it's possible erfworld might consider him some kind of odd generalist unit who is capable of both being a warlord and is capable of learning magic, or something. It'd be interesting to see him try to learn magic.
Yosarian

Postby raphfrk » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:48 am

Yosarian wrote:Eh. I know a few of you think that, but I doubt Janis would actually lie; she's sort of one of the "magical, wise old despenser of wisdom" archtype, and someone like that, when they say something that dosn't seem to make any sense, it generally turns out to be true, at least in some way. I don't think Janis is the type to ever actually lie, more the "what you hear is not quite what you think you heard" type.

Maybe she meant that he is a de-facto/honourary hippiemancer, as he will bring peace to Erfworld (or at least she hopes so).
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:23 am

or she didn't want to clean his gooey remains off the rug, i'm more inclined as a hippymancer herself she didn't want to see him killed and she knows what he is. the other casters were set to kill him. she lied about his nature to save his life.

parson is a warlord. casters cannot be warlords.or else wanda would have been made a warlord in order to apply stack bonus's to NON decrypted units. or the earlier uncroaked scenario's.

it's pretty likely parson would've cast something in the roughly a month of existing as a war unit. but he hasn't. some units would be happy to survive nearly 30 turns.

instead he's acquired the knowledge he's a warlord, and he's considered a heavy unit. what kind of good is a heavy caster? what's he going to do, tank his way to the centre of a battle,then cast peace and love on everyone? he is the worlds worst hippymancer by the way because he sees his overlord sulking and devises a plan to arm him with a few hundred dwagons within the time frame before book 2. talk about bringing peace.that'd be right up there with painting the military's rifles pink with blue flowers. while exchanging their ammo with cyanide tipped armour piercing rounds.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Nebulious » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:01 am

I think one other reason it's hard to dismiss the possibility of Parson as a Hippiemancer is the following comic where Janis lays out what is essentially the thesis of Erfworld. Parson is there to break all of the conventions of the world the summoned him. Is it because he is only the perfect warlord or because he also wants to bring true peace? We don't yet know if Parson will more seriously pursue ending war, or if Janis is projecting her goals onto Parson. That's why 'Parson is a Hippiemancer' isn't just a meme or an epileptic tree, but a legitimate possibility.
This cold night will turn us all into fools and madmen.
Nebulious
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby reteo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:18 am

moose o death wrote:parson is a warlord. casters cannot be warlords.or else wanda would have been made a warlord in order to apply stack bonus's to NON decrypted units. or the earlier uncroaked scenario's.

it's pretty likely parson would've cast something in the roughly a month of existing as a war unit. but he hasn't. some units would be happy to survive nearly 30 turns.

instead he's acquired the knowledge he's a warlord, and he's considered a heavy unit. what kind of good is a heavy caster? what's he going to do, tank his way to the centre of a battle,then cast peace and love on everyone? he is the worlds worst hippymancer by the way because he sees his overlord sulking and devises a plan to arm him with a few hundred dwagons within the time frame before book 2. talk about bringing peace.that'd be right up there with painting the military's rifles pink with blue flowers. while exchanging their ammo with cyanide tipped armour piercing rounds.

When you go from boop to to the f-bomb, there's a hint that he's not inextricably tied to the rules. in any event, how can you be certain that the rule stating that casters can't be warlords is guaranteed to apply to a guy who doesn't even have the required stats display following him around? And have we even determined the meaning of the "special" attribute?

Like I said, until we have the proof of his hippiemancy, or we have proof of its lack, either through Janis's point of view, or through Rob's own explicit claim of its lack, the question will still remain, and so, people will be making assumptions either way... no point in complaining about it, as his non-hippiemancer status is far from certain. Especially when we've yet to actually see hippiemancy at work to begin with... it could be a subtle magic, not something visible like the war spells. Even Janis's training of Sizemore was off-scene, as all we saw was their conversation following his training.
reteo

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:28 am

reteo wrote:Like I said, until we have the proof of his hippiemancy, or we have proof of its lack, either through Janis's point of view, or through Rob's own explicit claim of its lack, the question will still remain, and so, people will be making assumptions either way... no point in complaining about it, as his non-hippiemancer status is far from certain.

Not to add fuel to the fire, but there is a strong similarity between the Hippiemancer/Non-Hippiemancer discussion and general Theist/Atheist discussions.
In both, there are statements from authority that a certain thing is true. ("God exists." "Parson is a hippiemancer.")
In both, there is no evidence that the statement is true, nor evidence that it is false.

The fact that, simply on a statement of authority, a number of readers conclude that Parson is a hippiemancer speaks volumes about human nature. :D
Last edited by MarbitChow on Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarbitChow

Postby entropomorphic » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:59 am

I'm sure I'm not the first to suggest this, but Charlie is seeming more and more Parson-esque. That is, he may be an Earth-worlder, transported to Erfworld through some means. He has always seemed to communicate with Parson in a much more native, unfiltered way, although this may just be a result of his extreme intelligence and/or thinkamancy skills. Still, I can't shake the feeling that Parson and Charlie are peers and outsiders living in a world populated with Erfworld natives; a bit like Lord British and The Avatar did in the Ultima series, with a bit more animosity.

And these summer updates are getting better and better! They expose so much about the Erf-verse. After 38, Jack became my New Favorite Character... now I think it's Charlie.
entropomorphic

Postby EvokeAnObject » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:25 am

So... Parson just got access to a new and improved version of psychohistory, no?

What are the chances that Stanley will get croaked within 100 turns?

What are the chances that Wanda will lose her arkentool within 100 turns?

What are the chances that a coalition including Transylvito will attack Goblin Knob within 100 turns?

It's even better than the OOTS oracle!
EvokeAnObject

Postby Glenn » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:10 pm

If Parson is a Hippymancer, then why hasn't Janis made sure that Parson knows he is a Hippymancer? Why hasn't she done anything to get Parson some training as a Hippymancer? Why are there guards at GK's gateway to the Magic Kingdom, preventing Parson from returning?

When Sizemore was bitterly expressing his disillusionment with Parson in the Magic Kingdom, it would have been natural for her to reassure him about Parson's potential as a peacemaker by mentioning to Sizemore that Parson was a Hippymancer. (It seems that Sizemore is not aware that she said it in front of him when Parson was nerve-pinched, presumably because his linkage to Maggie and Wanda prevented him from paying attention to what Janis was saying.) But she didn't say that in the scene we saw. If she mentioned it to Sizemore off camera, why hasn't Sizemore mentioned this fact to Parson? He didn't even mention it when Janis's name came up at the picnic.

If Parson is a Hippymancer, then you have to believe that Janis acquired a strong motive to keep it secret between the moment when she blurted it out in the Magic Kingdom, and the time when she talked to Sizemore. I suppose this is possible, if you believe that some faction in the Magic Kingdom reacted to Janis's comment by saying, "If Parson finds out he's a Hippymancer, we'll kill him." But is there any other evidence that the Magic Kingdom is so deeply divided between pro-Parson and anti-Parson factions?
Glenn

Postby hazel-rah » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:22 pm

entropomorphic wrote:I'm sure I'm not the first to suggest this, but Charlie is seeming more and more Parson-esque. That is, he may be an Earth-worlder, transported to Erfworld through some means. He has always seemed to communicate with Parson in a much more native, unfiltered way, although this may just be a result of his extreme intelligence and/or thinkamancy skills. Still, I can't shake the feeling that Parson and Charlie are peers and outsiders living in a world populated with Erfworld natives; a bit like Lord British and The Avatar did in the Ultima series, with a bit more animosity.

And these summer updates are getting better and better! They expose so much about the Erf-verse. After 38, Jack became my New Favorite Character... now I think it's Charlie.

Wow...it seems so obvious I can't believe I missed that...

That's almost a standard assumption when someone is transported to another world, that there's already been another human that has come through as well (either at the same time, or far in the past). Off the top of my head I can think of Escaflowne and Digimon, and if I didn't have another class I'm sure I could think of more (and non anime :P)
hazel-rah

Postby DevilDan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:42 pm

It seems as if half of this thread is either a discussion of Charlie as an Earthling or Parson as a hippiemancer. Maybe someone—not me, the questions bore me given that there's next to no evidence to seriously suggest either is true at this point—could start threads specifically on each of these topics.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Vreejack » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:55 pm

joosy wrote:
Drifter wrote:
The decrypted Archons were named after the Andrews Sisters - a trio of singers from the 20's to the 60's.

They sang "Bugle Boy from Company B" and "Rum and Coca-Cola" ( a personal favorite about mother/daughter prostitutes, of all things).

Check 'em out, you'll be listening to some American history.

you are right- they were more prominent on radio that TV so I should have said "are all Archons named after popular female entertainers/icons".

Not their best performance, but one some readers might be familiar with, they made an appearance on Fallout 3, backing up Danny Kaye in the campy "Civilization" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C60iYHFE2pI
So...Watashi wa mizugorō ga sukina koto o kiita, neh?
A Prediction is what would have happened had there been no Prediction. What is scary is that they are also what will happen in spite of the Prediction.
Vreejack

Postby Sixty » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:25 pm

hazel-rah wrote:
entropomorphic wrote:I'm sure I'm not the first to suggest this, but Charlie is seeming more and more Parson-esque. That is, he may be an Earth-worlder, transported to Erfworld through some means. He has always seemed to communicate with Parson in a much more native, unfiltered way, although this may just be a result of his extreme intelligence and/or thinkamancy skills. Still, I can't shake the feeling that Parson and Charlie are peers and outsiders living in a world populated with Erfworld natives; a bit like Lord British and The Avatar did in the Ultima series, with a bit more animosity.

Wow...it seems so obvious I can't believe I missed that...

That's almost a standard assumption when someone is transported to another world, that there's already been another human that has come through as well (either at the same time, or far in the past). Off the top of my head I can think of Escaflowne and Digimon, and if I didn't have another class I'm sure I could think of more (and non anime :P)

Also Zero's Familiar (Zero no Tsukaima) as well.

Anyway, in regards to Parson being a Hippiemancer I think he isn't and Janis was covering for him (though he may ironically bring peace and thus fulfill what Janis said) though I'm sure we'll get evidence one way or another eventually.
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Mr. Goodwraith » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:28 pm

Unless the Arkentools are a recent introduction to Erfworld, I find it very odd that Charlie can't deduce what has happened to his archons. Erf seems to have been running long enough for some sides/units to build up a lot of knowledge and even culture and philosophy; say at least 50,000 turns (136 years of game time if an Erf year is 365 days long)? If the Arkentools have been in Erf since the beginning, various characters have *surely* been attuned to the Pliers and used them to some effect before Wanda, and records or at least legends of those people and their decrypted units will have existed for Charlie to learn from, even if Charlie hasn't been around that long himself.
Mr. Goodwraith

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions