Summer Updates - 040

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 040

Postby Infidel » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:07 pm

It was a chase scene. So rearranging the turns so Jillian's crew got two turns to Stanley's one allowed them to get in front and lay in ambush.

1. Stanley moves
2. Jillian Moves
3. Change Sides.
4. End Turn
5. Jillian goes again
6. Stanley goes.

So it definitely provides some advantage in limited situations. Passing a special unit with a critical ability that will be doubly effective if used twice. Maybe make some golems, get passed over, make more golems. Chase scenes also allow a side to effectively get two move actions to another side's one.

Normally splitting a side is disadvantageous, but sometimes the side is already split. If that's the case then special units then can be passed around for a temporary doubled effect.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Yosarian » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:59 pm

Guurzak wrote:
Yosarian wrote:
Guurzak wrote:The point is that each side gets a turn only once per day. You don't get a turn on your turn and then another turn on your ally's turn. You can postpone your turn if you want to act at the same time as your ally, but that doesn't give anyone an "extra" turn.

No, but he makes a fair point; it may be advantageous in some situations to make your turn, then to see what the enemy does, and then have an ally who can move after the enemy goes.

On first look, it might seem that way, but there isn't any actual advantage in any situation.

Start with a 1-on-1 battle: A gets a turn, then Z gets a turn, then A, then Z. Each stack you own has exactly one opportunity to respond to enemy actions before that enemy's next turn.

Now A gets a bright idea and decides to split so as to increase flexibility. Turn order is A1, Z, A2. But that's exactly the same order as Z, A2, A1, Z, A2, A1... we're still just alternating. I haven't accomplished anything except made it so that half of my army can't do joint ops with the other half.

Well, there are differences, though.

For example, A1 attacks, Z moves, then A2 gets to move BEFORE Z gets to heal, or gets to pop any more units. This could be key in some (narrow) situations.

Usually, though, it'd probably be better to attack all at once anyway.
Yosarian

Postby Guurzak » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:15 pm

Infidel wrote:Normally splitting a side is disadvantageous, but sometimes the side is already split. If that's the case then special units then can be passed around for a temporary doubled effect.

I'll give you that, but it only applies to units which have the flexibility to change sides in the field- very limited application, but good point.

Yosarian wrote:Well, there are differences, though.

For example, A1 attacks, Z moves, then A2 gets to move BEFORE Z gets to heal, or gets to pop any more units. This could be key in some (narrow) situations.

Usually, though, it'd probably be better to attack all at once anyway.

How is that better than having all my units acting first? If A never split their armies, then the units which you have as A2 would have been able to attack Z and do everything that they would anyway as part of the main A turn, before Z has any chance to move away or counterattack.
Guurzak

Previous

Return to Reactions