Summer Updates - 041

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 041

Postby Flux » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:15 am

LordDarksea wrote:I assume the plan for the picture when added will not be Jillian astride a megalogrif, but ill be what she gets to see. there's a splash page in it for sure. One that I think would work exceptionally well if done by Jamie - even if we have to wait six months, or more, for the opportunity to turn up. Nothing against the other guest artists at all, i've loved the work that's come through, but, for that one?, Jamie.

I second that :)
Flux

Postby joosy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:35 am

Wow, I used to be one of the first ones to post to the late night updates but apparently everyone is now night owls ;)

I thought Jillian was ignoring Transylvito's request for an heir but that would be stupid (but typically stubborn) of her to bite the fangs that feeds her at the moment. I imagine she is using the capitol to pop the heir (which I believe was mentioned in Parson's klogs as the only place royal heirs could be popped) and using the other two cities to continue production of the marshmallowy goodness of Megalogwiffs and warlards (plural now!). I wonder what the other two cities are called? Wiki and Pedia? meh- thats lamer than the River Phoenix. ;)

EDIT: Just re-read the update. The megalogwiff was popped in the capital city so AND she is negotiating the heir request with Don. Cheeky!

If Charlie is telling the truth to Jillian (or at least the version of the truth he wishes to reveal) then he is truly desperate. That information would never be free from him. We do know that the decrypted Unaroyal warlords gave intel on Warchalking so its not too farfetched to assume that GK has info on Charlie from the archons. I would imagine that they would have to ask the right questions of course. Right now, GK is bent on getting all of their cities back that apparently Unaroyal had taken charge of. (Orgchart was one of GK's cities - it was the place where Jillian was taken for 'interrogation' the first time, I believe. Ansom had rescued her from there according to Jillian's expositional narrative. ) Charlie knows that at some point he will be on GK's radar and if he waits for that to happen it will be too late for him. He needs allies now - or at least some plans within plans to help him attain his real goal: the capture of Parson Gotti and his bracer.

I'm eating stale peeps right now and wondering.. what would a megalogwiff look like.. or taste like :D

Great job as always, boys. I've said it before but I kind of enjoy these verbal updates more than the comic. I now share in the anticipation Americans used to feel when they waited on the docks for the ships from England to come in with the latest Dickens serialization. Only I couldn't wait months between updates - two days seems to be my limit! Darn this cultural A.D.D.!
Last edited by joosy on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
joosy

Postby Justyn » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:44 am

joosy wrote: I wonder what the other two cities are called? Wiki and Pedia? meh- thats lamer than the River Phoenix :)

Kibo and Otoh.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby joosy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:46 am

Justyn wrote:
joosy wrote: I wonder what the other two cities are called? Wiki and Pedia? meh- thats lamer than the River Phoenix :)

Kibo and Otoh.

ah- doh! I had to go re-read that update. I had assumed that Kibo and Otoh were Transylvito cities. Vinnie was in FAQ the whole time. doh.

thanks!
joosy

Postby Pax » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:52 am

In response to the final sentence of this update, I have only four words to say:

Oh, holy booping BOOP ...!! :shock:
Pax

Postby moose o death » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:57 am

joosy wrote:Wow, I used to be one of the first ones to post to the late night updates but apparently everyone is now night owls ;)

not everyone shares timezones with you. this update happened while i was at work. i'm sure many other users were within regular schedules too when this update went live.

i wish this comic followed a regular schedule like some others i enjoy just so i didn't have to keep guessing at update times. surely the web software can automate delivery. as long as your one ahead of the game you can maintain a consistant schedule fairly easily
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby John Thacker » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:02 am

joosy wrote:
Justyn wrote:Kibo and Otoh.

ah- doh! I had to go re-read that update. I had assumed that Kibo and Otoh were Transylvito cities. Vinnie was in FAQ the whole time. doh.

Well, it fits with the pun scheme to be part of FAQ, not Transylvito. Kibo's a real old-school Internet reference, though I suppose it might refer more to the computing acronym than the person, to match FAQ and OTOH.

Lord Shelby the Cobra is another bad pun, this one being car related. And of course Dagwood would have Sandwiches.

More silly puns are Bridgestone and Firestone, which naturally are on the border between Jetstone (-stone cities) and Unaroyal (tire companies).
John Thacker

Postby Guurzak » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:03 am

Dwagon_Cwoaker wrote:Jillian is one of the best Warlords in the area (she was a level 8 or whatnot

"You don't give me orders, Commander. I'm a 9; you're a 5. ...And your girlfriend's a 2."

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F050.jpg
Guurzak

Postby Whispri » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:16 am

Decrypted Ansom is so much fun! :D Although it's a bit sad that we won't see the look on her face. :(

I'm struck by what an awful Queen she is, going out and risking the existence of her entire side like that. The way she looks back to the good old days of getting her units slaughtered with her own reckless incompetence is also a bad sign. Stanley is officially a better ruler than she.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby HandofShadows » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:27 am

Oh, the Boop is getting REAL deep now. The expression on Jillian's face would be nice to see. Poor Jillian has another big nasty surprise heading her way I think. And I do think that for the first time in a long time Charlie is actually scared (for several reasons). Another in a long line of excellent updates.
HandofShadows

Postby Guurzak » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:29 am

Whispri wrote:I'm struck by what an awful Queen she is, going out and risking the existence of her entire side like that. The way she looks back to the good old days of getting her units slaughtered with her own reckless incompetence is also a bad sign. Stanley is officially a better ruler than she.

I don't think this is quite fair to her. She was a Barbarian Warlord for a long time. She had no responsibilities and no ties except for today's contract- and, she never wanted to rule anyway. I suspect the only reason she agreed to rebuild FAQ was that she thought it was the best option available to her for getting revenge for Ansom's croaking. It would be understandable if she were chafing a bit at being tied down- and, a level 9 ruler on a Megalogwiff probably isn't at much risk from anything short of a fullsize army.

Reckless incompetence is harsh. Her employer set her up- or at least, gave her woefully inadequate intelligence. And getting your units slaughtered is par for the course on erfworld. Basic troops are pure cannon fodder- and they are content with that role. Remember the piker who got captured and croaked, whose only regret was that he had never gotten to use his spear?
Guurzak

Postby KiltedNinja » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:15 am

Guurzak wrote:Remember the piker who got captured and croaked, whose only regret was that he had never gotten to use his spear?

...how could we forget Poor Wrigley...

I believe the expression on Jillian's face would be akin to :shock:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
...I'm still holding out for the Arkenoid...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
KiltedNinja
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Anton Gaist » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:26 am

Seriously, where is the ominous thunder? Back home in Überwald it was provided this as a basic service , you know?
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:37 am

I can't believe nobody mentioned the info we got about Slately. He seems to be a quite smart diplomat, spreading misinformation about Charley and his relation with GK.

So we got at least two competent kings (Slately, Don King) within the RCC II, two competent chief warlords (Ossomer, Ceasar), one prince open to new ideas (Tramennis) and one warrior queen with a good advisor. And there is Charley with his archons and calculations. That doesn't seem so bad.

A level 5 city can pop one stack a turn, either 8 pikers or 6 stabers, let's say 7 on average, assume 4 as average of all cities. With 20 cites that makes 80 units a turn, 4.000 in 50 turns, albeit low level ones. With enough cities, the RCC II maybe able to repop the loses of the battle of GK. Time is the decisive element.

Gobwin Knob has two weak points: the capital with Stanley, and Wanda and Ansom in the field. If Wanda croaks, GK loses the ability the decrypt fallen units and they lose her bonus to all the decrypted units of her side. If Wanda and Ansom both croak, GK may lose more than 2/3 of their power, due to loss of bonus. All the RCC has to do is concentrate all their power on one strike against Wanda and Ansom; a Findamancer can tell them where they are, a Predictamancer can tell them when to strike. Or use scrolls, if they don't have those mancers. And the calculations of the watch even can tell them if they will be successful.They even can improve their chances by bluffing Stanley: they can menace GK itself with a TV/Faq strike force and make Stanley change his chief warlord to one of the units in his capital to strengthen his troops there. And then attack Ansom and Wanda.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby Retconjurer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:48 am

It was foolish of her to go out without some of her warlords. We've been told that leveling is exponentially more difficult as you go up in level. Which means that she should be leveling her low level warlords by taking them on missions with her (if she insists on going on missions). Even if she doesn't like the idea of staying home and guarding the base, she should still be a responsible leader of her side's military. It was senseless thrill seeking. Nothing more.
Retconjurer

Postby Whispri » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:52 am

True that. She's doing a damn silly thing in a damn silly way.

Guurzak wrote:
Whispri wrote:I'm struck by what an awful Queen she is, going out and risking the existence of her entire side like that. The way she looks back to the good old days of getting her units slaughtered with her own reckless incompetence is also a bad sign. Stanley is officially a better ruler than she.

I don't think this is quite fair to her. She was a Barbarian Warlord for a long time. She had no responsibilities and no ties except for today's contract- and, she never wanted to rule anyway. I suspect the only reason she agreed to rebuild FAQ was that she thought it was the best option available to her for getting revenge for Ansom's croaking. It would be understandable if she were chafing a bit at being tied down- and, a level 9 ruler on a Megalogwiff probably isn't at much risk from anything short of a fullsize army.

Reckless incompetence is harsh. Her employer set her up- or at least, gave her woefully inadequate intelligence. And getting your units slaughtered is par for the course on erfworld. Basic troops are pure cannon fodder- and they are content with that role. Remember the piker who got captured and croaked, whose only regret was that he had never gotten to use his spear?

I don't care how long she shirked the responsibilities she was created for, one freshly popped unit is not going to fare any better than a top level plated red ridden by Stanley the Tool. Or thirty Dwagons with leadership and Artifact bonuses plus rock fighting knights for that matter. And her turn starting at dawn is not proof that she's safe, as shown by her fear of Archon ambush when the fact was brought home to her. Her entire side would fall if she was ambushed. Every unit in the field dead. Every City frozen in time until someone found and killed them. How many feral, fire breathing Dwagons would it take to leave her falling to her doom? How many arrows? I realise she only cares about her own wants and needs, but that's what makes her such a terrible Queen.

Harsh? Not a bit of it, she had a safe hex behind her she could have fallen back to. And then she could have scouted other hexes while displaying actual caution. And yes I read her excuses, even if he did pay her fees just so she could die running away, if her attitude towards scouting missions wasn't 'chaaaaaaaaarge!' she wouldn't have been in that mess. And she was hired to provide intelligence.
Whispri

Postby Lightbender » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:59 am

I think we're all reading into this conversation a little bit much, because Charlie doesn't have to be telling the truth about any of this when he's talking with Jillian. He could easily be doing just fine and has a plan to sneak some profit out of the escapade.

It's also unlikely the cities taken were Charlescomm, remember, he's based on the other side of the world.
Lightbender

Postby Ninja » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:07 am

What risk? She could go around the whole kingdom in one turn. She would be back before the others could even MOVE.

As for the plan going to pester GK and take out Wanda & Ansom with the bulk of the forces, let's not forget the fact that GK now has 10 cities that can also pop out units, (and they have a LOT of money now) and that with every city they take, they gain more units and lose none (because they decrypt all the dead, even theirs afterwards (Is it possible ti decrypt a decrypted unit :?:)). And that there are now 3 more dwagons every turn in GK. By the time RCC II could muster some forces (let's say about 50 turns), Stanley could have 150 dwagons :!:

Also for the calculation part to work it would require Charlie, and RCC II thinks he's an enemy.

Also i like the update, and I've begun reading it only recently (I've read the comic book a long time ago). Just a quick question, is there any word of how long it's gonna last? I have to admit i like it more like a comic.
Don't be a booping boop, play this game. At least until you're level 6. Than you can do whatever you want.
Ninja

Postby DevilDan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:09 am

Sand witches and man witches. Oh boy.

I really liked the "Disband it" curse or interjection.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby stm177 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:11 am

Is this the first conversation we've seen between Charlie and someone other than Parson? He seems a lot more awkward talking with Jillian than he does with Parson. I'm wondering if Charlie also wanted Parson on his team because the two are birds of a feather. Well, maybe geeks of a feather.

In the previous update, Jetstone also knew that GK had Ansom, and FAQ hasn't been informed. How did Jetstone find out, and why didn't they talk to the other allies in their coalition.

It's also possible that Jillian is being kept in the dark purposely by the other allies like TV, in order to control her behavior.

I'm curious how Charlie popped, how he got control of the Arkendish, and how he came to control his own side.
stm177

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions