Page by page discussion of the comic.

Summer Updates - 042

Postby balder » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:15 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Summer Updates - 042

Postby JenBurdoo » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:26 pm

Wow.

Dwagon Expwess is truly a fine idea, but if it is possible, how does it make any sense that no one has hit upon it by now? It sounds like movement is tied to units that can ride, and not to their mounts. Normally I would think the mount just extends the move of the rider, but if they can switch mounts, this is gamebreaking! You can transfer your most powerful units to the other side of the realm at a turn's notice. Is it at all possible that dwagons (or perhaps other flying mounts) can carry more than one unit?

Wanda's apparent reliance on Parson is understandably unnerving. Why is she doing it?
JenBurdoo

Postby Kaminobob » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:26 pm

It's interesting to see the limits of the Plier's hold on Ansom's mind.

Here's hoping we get to hear about some of Parson's other acts of 'genius' soon!
Kaminobob

Postby Tabletop » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:35 pm

I don't think it's reliance on Wanda's part, so much as her just utilizing all her resources. She cast a spell to summon the perfect warlord, why not have him take a look at the plans beforehand? It seems like a waste to just keep Parson on the shelf.
Tabletop

Postby DevilDan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:38 pm

I quite enjoyed this update.

JenBurdoo wrote:Wow.

Dwagon Expwess is truly a fine idea, but if it is possible, how does it make any sense that no one has hit upon it by now? It sounds like movement is tied to units that can ride, and not to their mounts. Normally I would think the mount just extends the move of the rider, but if they can switch mounts, this is gamebreaking! You can transfer your most powerful units to the other side of the realm at a turn's notice. Is it at all possible that dwagons (or perhaps other flying mounts) can carry more than one unit?

We just saw one of the princes of Jetstone do just that, didn't we? the reason it isn't done is because it's logistically complicated and, at the end of the day, of limited usefulness.

JenBurdoo wrote:Wanda's apparent reliance on Parson is understandably unnerving. Why is she doing it?

As Maggie noted, Parson did kick Ansom's boop.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby gameboy1234 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Let's see, I'm not allowed to hate Stanely, so I won't. The Titans wouldn't like it.

But I do think I want to kill him. I just won't hate him while I do it. :D

Stanley's got problems. Not one of his own underlings likes him, at all. I still for see a big, failed morale check in Stanley's staff's future. And then .. insurrection.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:51 pm

ahh it's becoming clearer why wanda is still working for GK.

parson

ansom is loyal to both wanda and stanley. moreso to wanda

wanda is loyal to fate magic, minor loyalty to stanley

parson is loyal to stanley, doesn't seem particularly loyal to anyone else forcibly, just by choice.

wanda remains loyal to stanley to maintain access to parson. as long as he's an ally she has access to his strategies. burning stanley now leaves her with a huge army and ansom. but parson has beaten exactly that before and that concerns her enough to not risk it until he is no longer the threat.

my speculation only, everything you've just read is subject to reality, Rob Balder, the Titans, and or a better idea
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby OneHugeTuck » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:53 pm

I figured people'd be jumping all over the f-bomb thing.

Somebody is going to say "Ansom is Stanley's father?"
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby moose o death » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:57 pm

but he's not so why would they.

units pop, there is no biological reproduction at all not even wild units. every unit in erfworld pops

royals pop heirs, but technically every piker under stanley is his son/daughter. assuming charlie pops archons they are all his daughters.

which suffice to say that makes the apparant implications of sex in erfworld all the more creepy because it serves no purpose but entertainment and the chances of interaction with your own side are high.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Lord Kasavin » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:59 pm

JenBurdoo wrote:Wow.

Ansom answered that quite well, flying mounts are a luxury. Certainly, the idea of switching mounts to gain more movement has been around for some time as Traemennis just did an update ago. But the idea of tying up a large number of flying mounts just to move around a limited number of units when hats and thinkagrams can serve a similar purpose? Right now, the Dwagons are dispersed, maybe two or three in a city. Put those together and you might have several flying stacks giving real military service. It's just that GK has is apparently has a surplus of Dwagons who don't get Wanda's Decrypted bonus and hence aren't as useful on the frontlines.

Wanda's apparent reliance on Parson is understandably unnerving. Why is she doing it?

Reread Book 1. Parson constantly surprises everyone around him and in the end does the impossible. Wanda is so impressed with Parson, that at the very end she admits/confesses some her well hidden secrets/sins to him. Wanda, despite her intelligence, skill as a caster, and recent Arkentool atunement, doesn't exactly have a long history of sucess to build up her self-confidence. There was the fact she lost her side to Stanley in the first place, then her new side went from 10 to 1 cities while she was chief advisor, the donut failure was largely her fault, and the list goes on. Finally, she fulfills her fate, and has Parson almost entirely to thank for that.
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby Lady Nerevar » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:02 pm

it seems, at least to me, that Ansom is the guiding force behind this whole "conquer the world" thing. Stanley wanted all the tools, Wanda wanted one, Ansom... first thing he did when he was repopped was suggest conquest. I would go so far as to say that there is no mind control in Decryption and that Ansom simply shifted his loyalty towards whoever allowed him to continue being a condescending prick.
Lady Nerevar

Postby HailGreen28 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:03 pm

JenBurdoo wrote:Wanda's apparent reliance on Parson is understandably unnerving. Why is she doing it?

Because Parson is probably the most brilliant tactician she's dealt with. Even in the losing effort to hold the walls and courtyard, Wanda watched Parson use diplomacy, subterfuge, and tactics way out of Ansom's league. And the out-of-the-box mountain uncroaking.

Add to it, Parson may be using the Bracer to predict enemy tactics, sneak attacks, odds of Wanda's attacks succeeding.

All it would take is one message from Parson "Hey Wanda better hunker down my bracer says you got a 75% chance that Unaroyal will counter-attack on their turn" or "Hey Wanda my bracer says you got 25% chance success attacking the west gate but 90% chance success attacking the south gate", followed by events where Wanda sees that Parsons calcs were accurate.......

Wanda is smart. And Parson is incredibly useful. Of course she'll rely on him.
HailGreen28

Postby raphfrk » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:10 pm

Lord Kasavin wrote:Ansom answered that quite well, flying mounts are a luxury. Certainly, the idea of switching mounts to gain more movement has been around for some time as Traemennis just did an update ago.

But, he also said that "the enemy is doing it". He might have got the idea from watching GK.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby HailGreen28 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:25 pm

Can't believe nobody's commented on the main plot point of the update. After taking Unaroyal, Ansom wants to launch an all-out decapitation strike at Jetstone's capital.

I'd like to know why. Ansoms loyalty isn't in question, and he undoubtedly know Jetsone's strengths and weaknesses better than anyone in Stanley's employ.

1. The Heir Issue: Jetstone has a new Chief Warlord. But does Slately have an heir? What if Ansom is that heir? Could Ansom literally take control of ALL Jetstone if he croaks Slately soon?

2. Disband the Coaltition: Maybe Ansom figures a lighting strike against Jetstone will dissolve the new Coalition. That alone could be reason enough for Ansoms' plan.

3. Jetstone is simply the only side strong enough alone to challenge Stanley: Again, that may justify Ansom's strategy.

Ansom seems to think of a conventional atttack, like in his assault of Gobwin Knob. I'm wondering if the "heir" issue is real. And I'm wondering, right after taking Unaroyal's capital, instead of massing for a conventional invasion, could GW do this?

Assemble enough Dwagons to carry Ansom and warriors to the Jetstone Capital, bypassing border armies (probably a multi turn movement), even wall and courtyard defenses, kill Slately, and if Ansom doesn't automatically cause Jetstone to switch sides or go "neutral", carry Ansom and surviving warriors back to friendly territory.

Meanwhile Wanda continues her "mass animated graveyard" tour as another poster put it. In a conventional invasion.

Migfht be interesting for Parson to run some calcs on that scenario. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by HailGreen28 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HailGreen28

Postby the_tick_rules » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:38 pm

Aww yeah, let's get ready to rumble. Seems Stanley is at his best not doing anything.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby gameboy1234 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:41 pm

HailGreen28 wrote:3. Jetstone is simply the only side strong enough alone to challenge Stanley: Again, that may justify Ansom's strategy.

I think this is it, mostly. Ansom is still thinking linearly. "Hit the big numbers first."

Ansom seems to think of a conventional atttack, like in his assault of Gobwin Knob.

I think you have it here. This is book two, or at least the opening. The question is, will Jetstone really be as surprised as Ansom thinks? Jetstone knows who Stanley's chief warlord is, and they know how he thinks. I wonder if Ossomer or Stately will come up with some surprising tactics of their own.

Remember Parson's discussion of tactics at the end of Book 1? Something like "mostly you do the best you can, and wait until the other guy boops up. Then you hit him hard." I think this is another overly-complicated scheme by Ansom and it's going to get counter-attacked after a feigned surrender or feigned retreat by Jetstone.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Lawence of Awabia » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:58 pm

gameboy1234 wrote:I think this is another overly-complicated scheme by Ansom and it's going to get counter-attacked after a feigned surrender or feigned retreat by Jetstone.

I think this'll be the main conflict for Parson at the start of Book 2; he knows that the strike on Jetstone is a bad idea, and Wanda agrees, but Stanley and Ansom have their minds made up. Either Parson has to try to avert the strike on Jetstone, or Stanley orders the strike anyway, and Parson has to make the best of it.
Lawence of Awabia

Postby Dwagon_Cwoaker » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:03 pm

I've been waiting all day for this update. Absolutely-booping-awesome.

This is the first time we've gotten a look inside the mind of a decrypted; it seems like whatever free will Ansom had, being a royal, is now subsumed by the power of the arkenpliers. It would be interesting to see what those with less will, such as the unfortunate stabber from Warchalking, are thinking. Do they all hold some of their old prejudices from before? Or is Ansom the only one that still has the embers of his old hatred for Stanley and for Parson? Its obvious he's not completely the mindless slave that he appeared to be when he was first Decrypted, as he seems capable of being angry and questioning the decisions of others, or at least being able to doubt their competence.

And... well.... i hate to say it, but the Dragon relay thing... someone may have suggested it in an earlier reaction thread >.> Fan ideas becoming canon?

Anywhoo. Musings about the strategic viability of a strike on Jetstone's capital. Secure their 14 (14?!? omgwtfbbq HOW DID THEY CAPTURE THAT MANY!?!?) cities and then mass up for a direct strike, possibility utilizing both a massive dwagon swarm and the decrypted army. Considering that I believe a good 3000+ units were decrypted right after the battle for Gobwin Knob, and that Unaroyal based on Ansom's report seems to have added at least several hundred more units to that total, on top of whatever amount has been produced. Not only can they put together a good defensive force for each of their 14 cities, but that should still be just an overwhelming attack force to nail Jetstone's capital with 2000+ troops in only a few turns, especially if they send in all the dragons that they are using for the relay system.

A straight capital strike... honestly, that would probably catch everyone off guard. Gobwin Knob, from everyone else's point of view, seem to have been the borg, taking Unaroyal one city at a time. So, it is obvious that Jetstone is trying to amass a huge army to strike down the decrypted in one fell swoop, which is a good option, and provides a solid wall of manpower at their frontmost cities. But, all of that preparation is useless if the Decrypted horde runs right by them and nails the capital city, when your utter lack of reconaissance due to no lookamancers still placed their army a turn out from the Unaroyal capital.

Unless Parson sees a flaw that I don't with the plan, a direct attack on the capital is actually a pretty smart idea, and not one the RCC 2 will see coming. Besides, Jetstone doesn't know if the Ansom they've seen is a deluxe-Decroaked puppet Ansom, or a mind controlled Ansom. Even if they do know how he thinks, Ansom has always seen grand strategy in a linear matter; take things one city at a time, hit it with overwhelming force, then move to the next target. Its how he almost took all of Gobwin Knob territory, and its how he pretty much took Unaroyal just now. Its like football; run the ball, run the ball, and then when the defense gets packed in at the line throw a pass. This is Ansom's pass play; shotgun formation, hail mary pass going right for the endzone, aka Jetstone's capital, while all of RCC 2's manpower is right there on the front line getting ready for the big strike.
Dwagon_Cwoaker

Postby Tubal-Cain » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:08 pm

Ansome wants to take Jetstone? That could be... costly.
But I guess they have to do something. Expanding in the manner they have makes logistics difficult, and if they simply stop the RCCII will have time to gather their strength. A stack with Ansome + Wanda may be booping powerful, but they are only that powerful if they don't split up. While Parson could win a war on multiple fronts, he's also smart enough to not allow it to come to that.
If Slately is croaked, would Ansome's brothers each revert to barbarian and need to reclaim Spacerock (or some other capital) before they could begin to rule?

EDIT:
I don't think we've ever seen a case of one side holding two capital cities. Ossomer brought it up in the context of taking Haggar and making a side for himself. I wonder if Ansome could claim the capital at Wanda's bidding?
Last edited by Tubal-Cain on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubal-Cain

Postby javert » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:12 pm

I love the comic, but am i the only one fe up with the... lack of leadership ability, general lack of social skills, and utter incompetence of Stanley? He is the Pointy-Haired-Boss from Dilbert! He is all the management bad stereotypes.

Enough of my rant, i think that Ansom is going to make similar tactics but not just keep trusting in overwhelming numbers, we have seem him use the "bonus on top of bonus" when the conquest started, i don't think he is going to suddenly forget such useful and powerful technique. But as in some previous threads has been exposed the greatest threat to GK lies in Gk itself, just to name a few that i can recall:

- Incompetent Overlord (No discussion here i think)
- A treacherous and powerful Croakamancer (Not that she is planing right now to betray GK, but she has betrayed her side before and with less resources at her disposal to keep to herself)
- Ansom over zealotry and possible jealousy of Parson
- Key figures (Maggie, Sizemore, Wanda) have growing loyalty/respect towards Parson, and if push come to shove, Stanley might become the figurative "head" so the side doesn't disband and nothing more (Keep him jailed and protected :twisted: it will be possible? ).
- The bulk of the army is devoted to Wanda, and nominally to Stanley, in case of a betrayal/arkenpliers nullification, GK becomes 14 cities and whatever units they are popping/taming right now (which doesn't seem to be much, except for the dwagons)

RC2 it will be a tough opponent if Charlie lends his help, but more so than external threats, i believe that the greatest harm can come from within.
javert

Next

Return to Reactions