Book 2 – Page 78

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 78

Postby vintermann » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:31 am

Bunta wrote:Is it possible that this Ossomer that we saw being dusted is a duplicate created by the Dittomancer? (he seemed quite busy casting something in an earlier update)

I may be mistaken, but I think it was stated somewhere that Dittomancers were able to duplicate even units, if at least for a limited time... no? If not, my bad. :D

It's ambiguous, but I'm pretty sure when "duplication of the unipegataurs" was mentioned, it was just supposed to be about doubling their stats/bonus/stuff. The "going ... home" thing is a bit too dramatic if he's not really dusted, I think.

Sad, I had hoped GK would take a well-timed trashing here. Though I suppose now that no side has Ossomer's awesome warlord bonus, it's even again, and Jetstone aren't totally out of tricks.

Despite the archons taken down by Cubbins, and the ones taken down by archers/the king's initial assault, there sure seems to be a lot of them left.

Whether an archon is captured or not, I think Charlie will pay well for the knowledge that the decrypted can turn.
vintermann
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby onlyme » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:12 am

vintermann wrote:
Bunta wrote:Is it possible that this Ossomer that we saw being dusted is a duplicate created by the Dittomancer? (he seemed quite busy casting something in an earlier update)

I may be mistaken, but I think it was stated somewhere that Dittomancers were able to duplicate even units, if at least for a limited time... no? If not, my bad. :D

It's ambiguous, but I'm pretty sure when "duplication of the unipegataurs" was mentioned, it was just supposed to be about doubling their stats/bonus/stuff. The "going ... home" thing is a bit too dramatic if he's not really dusted, I think.

I think the unipegataurs are duplicated. But I do not think Ossomer is. If he is duplicated they would have to
hide the original (and they have no foolamancer, and we Archons are very good at seeing hidden stuff).
I think the dittomancer is busy keeping the Unipegataurs in existance.

Text 48 wrote:"Yeah, he wants to hit your son first," interrupted Pierce, "But I'm saying, even supposing that works, we're still outnumbered up there. We just don't have the flyers for a fight like that."

Slately's eyes darted between the two men, who were arguing with one another more than they were addressing him. The Dollamancer pointed at the Dittomancer.

"Lloyd could double the Unipegs if he flew with the max stack!"

Doubling the Unipegs is the way against being outnumbered. So I guess it's numbers are improved....
onlyme

Postby 0beron » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:16 am

vintermann wrote:Whether an archon is captured or not, I think Charlie will pay well for the knowledge that the decrypted can turn.

Oh yes that is a VERY good point!

Also, just a general wow! I wasn't expecting something this drastic, you go girls!

Infidel wrote:Nice to see that if (when really) the Archons go down, they at least will go down with a fight.

I would be so sure they're going down. I think putting themselves right in the middle of Jetstone's stack without attacking anyone else is gonna cost them...but without Ossomer's leadership bonus I think the King and his stack are ultimately screwed. I'm betting a handful or Archons still survive, more than just one.

EDIT: Lastly, obligatory "Oh, we finally found Trem again!" comment....and come to think of it, perhaps now that the King's whole stack is looking DOWN they might finally notice him and get Pierce to him...
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby TheWombat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:32 am

This is the first comic in quite a while that just made me cheer. Good to know that the Archons are still a force to be reckoned with.
Proud wanna-be owner of the Arken-chainsaw.
TheWombat

Postby effataigus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:53 am

Magothys wrote:I'm sensing a pattern...

Hah good point! Ansom also took a dive while fighting it out with Wanda in GK airspace and while fighting his bro at the bridge. Hopefully Tramennis stays out of the sky!

I wonder if this curse applies to Slately as well. Slately has now dusted enough archons to afford promoting Trammenis, IIRC... also, the Rocketeer and Boba Fett have both shown us that those that dare put on jetpacks in combat often die by them. There's even a band called "Death by Jetpak" that could provide ample sound effects, though the genre of band would be more appropriate for a Haggar death.

Nice update! Good to see that the archons aren't 100% ubar or worthless depending on what the situation calls for.
Last edited by effataigus on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby cloudbreaker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:05 am

Heh, even when falling to his death, Ossomer's hair barely moves. I find that to be, well... Ossom.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Lamech » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:52 am

There are five archons right next to the king? With no screen? The Jetstone units better do something fast or its over. Also the units in the city need to get to the garrison before it falls.
Lamech

Postby Yienzu » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:01 am

First time posting, long time reader of both the comic and these reaction forums. And I've never been compelled to post (not because it wasn't worth it, just don't like getting into conversations unless I feel I can add something worthwhile) until this comic/reaction page.

I cannot for the life of me understand why the hate/dislike for Ossomer is so prevalent! Because he's a particular archetype of character people don't like? The big strong guy who may or may not be as intelligent as many around him?

Here is a man who answered the call to defend his home and family when his brother turned undead slave returned with an enemy army at his back. While defending against said brother, he lost his life and was risen against his will as yet another undead slave. But this is where his true strength and convictions ultimately began to show through. He watched with horror the dishonor of his new commanders, he watched the heroism of his real family and forces, and eventually, through force of will, strength, and perhaps Wanda's foolish trip to the Magic Kingdom, did what no other mind slave has yet been able to do. Return to his family, return to his side, return to everything he believed to be right and honorable. And when he falls in the defense of his father, even with his final breaths understanding that he was truly home, everyone is happy that he is "finally" gone. I just don't get it.

RIP brave Ossomer. You deserved more than you got.

Edit PS: Wonderful comic Rob, you've created a masterpiece. And an amazing community has gathered around it. Kudos to everyone!
Yienzu
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby five-thirteen » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:14 am

Well said. Ossomer was a warlord of Jetstone and he died in a manner suiting. We can ask no more of such a character.

Also, is that dismounting a unit or capturing a mount?
five-thirteen

Postby 0beron » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:18 am

I think it has to do with the demonizing of Jetstone. Jetstone in particular, though Royals in general, have obviously been painted as bad, misguided, and stuck-up. They really are the direct Erfworld equivalent of the "Divine Mandate" era of European monarchs. So anyone who is on their side also gets demonized.
Do I agree with this? Not entirely. I definitely feel bad for Ossomer getting beat up on so much and everyone here hating him. He's gone through a lot, and you are right that he has shown himself to be made of stronger/better stuff than we expected.
Slately is redeeming himself from the bad rap of Royalty, but not for the right reasons. He's becoming a better Ruler...only because GK is threatening his Titanic Mandate. If he weren't in danger of losing his whole side to 'Tool wielders, I don't think he'd be changing at all. So yes, Ossomer proved himself to be an arguably admirable character...but because he still ended up on what most of us see as the "wrong" side, we still want to hate him.

Plus...not to stereotype or anything, but consider for a moment who the bulk of Erfworld's readers likely are (especially forum posters). Then consider that a bunch of pretty, busty girls in airline uniforms and poodleskirts clearly hate Ossomer....what do you expect the fans will do? :p

Also, is that dismounting a unit or capturing a mount?

All of the above LOLOLOL
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby cheeseaholic » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:29 am

0beron wrote:Plus...not to stereotype or anything, but consider for a moment who the bulk of Erfworld's readers likely are (especially forum posters). Then consider that a bunch of pretty, busty girls in airline uniforms and poodleskirts clearly hate Ossomer....what do you expect the fans will do? :p

Rule 34?
cheeseaholic

Postby Keighvin1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:32 am

This may just be me, but I find it very hard to read the GNSP text, to the point I only noticed it after seeing everyone talk about it. I don't know if Rob would change that or not, but i think making it more distinct from the dusting effect would be a good idea, at least for the actual printing
Keighvin1
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Saladman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:35 am

All else aside, this is a really good looking page. I like it.
Saladman

Postby Balerion » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:38 am

While it turned out nicely for them, that was a pretty huge risk those archons took. If Ossomer survives that fall, he can now lead the ground forces; that was a close battle with a much lower chief warlord bonus, Trem at the helm, and Wanda's artifact bonus. I could easily see Ossomer being enough to seriously endanger the ground troops with Wanda gone.That said, it worked out pretty much perfectly for them, and they took out a high value target with very little cost to themselves, and now Jetstone is in trouble again.

I personally don't see any reason to hate on Ossomer; he served his side loyally and well, and didn't spout much of the titanic mandate either. A leader who cares about honor is a good thing; the alternative is historically rather unpleasant.
Balerion

Postby badninja » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:48 am

So ends the one units short second life. I was a little shocked by how callous the achrons did his death and how Charlie thinks but then again I do like Charlie. So what happens next, neither side has a current Cheif Warlord on the battle field so everyone will be auto attacking but how will Parson get there to counter the King?
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja

Postby 0beron » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:55 am

badninja wrote:So what happens next, neither side has a current Cheif Warlord on the battle field so everyone will be auto attacking but how will Parson get there to counter the King?

Nah there is still leadership in the hex on both sides. Leaders don't have to be in the stack to issue orders, they just only apply their bonus to units they stack with. On GK's side, Archons are leading themselves, Lady Sylvia is leading the courtyard forces, and Duke....something is leading the Dungeon forces. On Jetstone's side, Slately is leading his stack, and assorted unnamed warlords are leading the units on the Outer Walls, Courtyard, and Dungeon (though at this point the Dungeon forces may be leaderless/croaked).
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Saladman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:02 pm

Parson won't get there. The tower is down, meaning the portal is closed.

It remains to be seen how well or screwed Jetstone comes out of this, but GW is already in disarray. I expect it to take several pages to even show it all. Stanley's mad at Parson and Maggie (and I wonder whether it will be enough to shake through the Suggestion she gave him, which would really put her in trouble), Parson's about to start an inter-Discipline civil war in the Magic Kingdom over a benefit he can no longer claim (using the portal), Wanda's just had the shock of her life, and if any Decrypted survive the turn in Spacerock they're well positioned to start exercising their own judgement even as they stay aligned to Wanda.
Saladman

Postby 0beron » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:10 pm

Saladman wrote:Parson won't get there. The tower is down, meaning the portal is closed.

The portal is in the dungeon, so it is still be open. The reason they were worried about the portal is that if GK TOOK the city, it would stop being a Capital, and thus lose it's portal. Because the Jetstone units aren't in chains, we know they still hold the city.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Yienzu » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:46 pm

0beron wrote:I think it has to do with the demonizing of Jetstone. Jetstone in particular, though Royals in general, have obviously been painted as bad, misguided, and stuck-up. They really are the direct Erfworld equivalent of the "Divine Mandate" era of European monarchs. So anyone who is on their side also gets demonized.

You're probably right, though even that shouldn't be really. It would be the equivalent of that except that here in stupid world, people are just people. No one was actually born to be a king, or had the ability to know where their subjects where or what they were doing. In Erfworld, the rulers truly are better suited to rule in most cases. I mean, it is kind of a paradox in that they are better suited to rule so they rule but they are better suited only because they rule (for example, a Piker like Stanley became a ruler and gained those abilities but unless I'm mistaken that's not a common thing). But those in our history that said "IM MANDATED BY GOD TO RULE AND AM WAY BETTER AT IT THAN YOU" were total bs. But in Erfworld, it would be kind of hard NOT to think that if I popped as an heir/ruler and knew all that information that no lowly infantry did.

0beron wrote:...but because he still ended up on what most of us see as the "wrong" side, we still want to hate him.

I love that this is an opinion that can differ, that is a mark of great storytelling. Some people's "wrong" side can be others "right"! I like Parson, but really, Stanley and especially Wanda do not seem like "good guys" to me. In fact all of the qualities held up to be "good" in our own literature and stories (especially from medieval times) are completely embodied by Jetstone. And the fact that these horrible Royals who only blindly follow their mandate can change and become more than what their signamancy shows really seems to me like a few good guy side crowning moments of awesome!

0beron wrote:Plus...not to stereotype or anything, but consider for a moment who the bulk of Erfworld's readers likely are (especially forum posters). Then consider that a bunch of pretty, busty girls in airline uniforms and poodleskirts clearly hate Ossomer....what do you expect the fans will do? :p

Haha, well said sir, well said.
Yienzu
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:54 pm

Yienzu wrote:
0beron wrote:...but because he still ended up on what most of us see as the "wrong" side, we still want to hate him.

I love that this is an opinion that can differ, that is a mark of great storytelling.

Totally agreed haha! That's definitely why I said "wrong side" instead of "bad guys". It also says a lot about Rob's story-telling style that we can still LIKE Wanda and GK even realizing that they're what you could pretty easily call "bad guys", and we root for them anyway.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions