Book 2 – Page 79

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 79

Postby onlyme » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:04 pm

fjolnir wrote:If the king will only live until either lloyd runs out of juice or the end of turn, we should find out soon...

For some value of "soon". (The current day aka "such impo'tant turn" started October 29th, 2009, did't it?)
onlyme

Postby the_tick_rules » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:05 pm

Unfortunately like 80% of the board saw this coming, so not much of a surprise. It was still pretty sweet.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby kagato23 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:18 am

"Well done, duplicating me this way, Dittomancer!"

Does anyone else think that this King might know he's a copy, and is okay with it? He'd accepted before this it might be his last day
Portal X Parson OTP!
kagato23
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby the_tick_rules » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:08 am

One wonders how the real king was cloaked until then? And with at least some archons being able to see through veils none of them noticed?
the_tick_rules

Postby mortissimus » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:40 am

Lamech wrote:
mortissimus wrote:
effataigus wrote:Thus far we've seen 4 injuries (Ansom, Ansom, Sylvia, Jack), 1-2 deaths (Ossomer, and maybe Ansom... if he wasn't just choked by a troll), and 2 incapacitations (Wanda, Wanda), that I can recall off the top of my head (neglecting the other dragon riders since the story focusing on the living would constitute a substantial bias).

6 injuries, Parson and Banana both fell as a result of Parsons experiment.

Or did they? We aren't sure of the actual mechanics of Parson, or dwagons who get overloaded.

Pro Parson and Banana falling:
The dwagon was falling, more or less straight down over the side of the tower.

But though to be honest, con:
He and the dwagon actually were falling unnaturally slowly. But definitely falling, not floating.

I interpret it as being a fall, but falls feeling differently in Erfworld then on Earth.

Nothing conclusive about the the heavy hobgobwins or their dwagons?
mortissimus

Postby Raza » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:12 am

Alien Slately kicking ass.

I still don't get, or even see, what he's going on about with his superiority complex though. The falseness of dismounting people in a fight? But using semi-illusory doubles is a job well done?

Guy is nuts.

Also, going by erfworld combat effectiveness precedent, they should start losing something quick now with Ossomer's +9 leadership bonus gone.
Raza

Postby GJC » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:34 am

Raza wrote:Alien Slately kicking ass.

I still don't get, or even see, what he's going on about with his superiority complex though. The falseness of dismounting people in a fight? But using semi-illusory doubles is a job well done?

Guy is nuts.

Also, going by erfworld combat effectiveness precedent, they should start losing something quick now with Ossomer's +9 leadership bonus gone.

Well, there's something like 4-5 Archons left right now, so I kinda doubt that they'll be able to achieve much.
And I don't THINK that the double was illusory, I think it was created in the last second, just before real Slately fell.

Edit: I mean, Slately's a hypocrite anyway, but we already knew that. Just saying that I don't think the double was hidden in any way.
GJC

Postby drachefly » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:41 am

Lamech wrote:
Chit Rule Railroad wrote:
MichaelR138 wrote:How much juice can the dittomancer have left? He quadrupled arrows, doubled unipegitaurs and now doubled the king. He should be running on low or out at this point or he is grossly overpowered as a caster.

Didn't the arrow quadrupling happen before Kingworld gave Jetstone a new turn?

Yes! But I didn't see any rations pop, and the arrows didn't recover either.

We also didn't see them NOT popping. Rations could appear at an appropriate location, not 'right wherever you happen to be'.

Lamech wrote:Nor did Vanna's juice recover.

She said it took two turns worth of juice. I'm betting that it was the juice she had and the juice from the turn she started.

The provided quote was quite explicit. What are you arguing - that Erfworld's mechanics are inconsistent?
drachefly

Postby Lamech » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:19 am

drachefly wrote:She said it took two turns worth of juice. I'm betting that it was the juice she had and the juice from the turn she started.

The provided quote was quite explicit. What are you arguing - that Erfworld's mechanics are inconsistent?
It would seem weird if Vanna could use juice she didn't have yet. However, not getting any juice back, and using up most of one turn's juice would definitely qualify as a "cost two turns worth, basically."
Lamech

Postby multilis » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:55 am

Juice may work like building queue... if you don't have enough juice first turn to complete, then you contribute all your juice and building spell is in progress, turn after turn until you have enough to complete it. If you abort, you only get the juice back for the current turn.
multilis

Postby Kreistor » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:27 am

kagato23 wrote:"Well done, duplicating me this way, Dittomancer!"

Does anyone else think that this King might know he's a copy, and is okay with it? He'd accepted before this it might be his last day

Or the survivor is Real, regardless which was original. Some games have done it that way.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby MichaelR138 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:49 am

MichaelR138 wrote:How much juice can the dittomancer have left? He quadrupled arrows, doubled unipegitaurs and now doubled the king. He should be running on low or out at this point or he is grossly overpowered as a caster.

Yes, it did now that you mention it, but he has still doubled the Unipegataur's, duplicated the king, and whatever juice he used to add to the item creation.

Michael
MichaelR138

Postby Raza » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:20 pm

GJC wrote:Well, there's something like 4-5 Archons left right now, so I kinda doubt that they'll be able to achieve much.
And I don't THINK that the double was illusory, I think it was created in the last second, just before real Slately fell.

Edit: I mean, Slately's a hypocrite anyway, but we already knew that. Just saying that I don't think the double was hidden in any way.

Is there? There were 25+ to start out with, and we didn't see that many die. My impression was that there were still plenty off-panel.

MichaelR138 wrote:

Yes, it did now that you mention it, but he has still doubled the Unipegataur's, duplicated the king, and whatever juice he used to add to the item creation.

Michael

I don't think he contributed to the item creations, so that sounds reasonable. I'd be surprised if he didn't start with enough juice to do at least one major-ish and one minor spell a turn.
Raza

Postby 0beron » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:28 pm

Raza wrote:
GJC wrote:Well, there's something like 4-5 Archons left right now, so I kinda doubt that they'll be able to achieve much.

Is there? There were 25+ to start out with, and we didn't see that many die. My impression was that there were still plenty off-panel.

Agreed, we still see them in the background of various panels too. I'd guess there are about a dozen left. I don't even think all of them went into the stack, some were just distractions (albeit most of those likely dusted, but there are still some.)
That being said however...I don't think any will survive the engagement. The King is gonna die somehow, but his stack will survive to take vengeance.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby NastySasquatch » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:42 pm

I don't post often but I would like to propose a counter argument.

Slately didn't completely fall to his death.

Lloyd got the duplication spell off, Fo-Slately appeared behind the Angels as Slately was falling. Camera focuses on Fo-Slately he shoots down Angels, Camera focuses on slately and he's apparently teleported to the other side of the angels in the midst of the unipegataurs? No. Real Slately recovered his fall and its dual king beat down.

The look on Lloyd's face is relief, disbelief, and exhaustion.

Xin does faces VERY well.

If you interpret the Dialogue with 2 slatelys it's not forced and it makes MORE sense than just 1.
Last edited by NastySasquatch on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NastySasquatch

Postby 0beron » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:46 pm

NastySasquatch wrote:Lloyd got the duplication spell off, Fo-Slately appeared behind the [ARCHONS] as Slately was falling. Camera focuses on Fo-Slately he shoots down Angels, Camera focuses on slately and he's apparently teleported to the other side of the [ARCHONS] in the midst of the unipegataurs? No. Real Slately recovered his fall and its dual king beat down.

No it's just slight changes in perspective. In the last 3 panels, we are looking at the same Slately, whatever he is.
However you could be right about the falling bit...we still don't know what happens to whatever Slately is falling when "it" hits the ground. But whatever that is, it's still falling.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby NastySasquatch » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:51 pm

The dialogue honestly makes ZERO sense if it's just 1 Slately.

It's also a long standing trope that when you duplicate a person in combat the first one makes a remark about being better and the second one goes Twice as better. Especially if the second one was recently knocked out of combat.

Be more Genre savvy.
NastySasquatch

Postby 0beron » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:54 pm

NastySasquatch wrote:The dialogue honestly makes ZERO sense if it's just 1 Slately.

Agreed. I wasn't saying there was only one, I was saying the first one is falling. Just to clarify.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby NastySasquatch » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:00 pm

Yes, I understand that actually. I need to clarify as well. The Dialogue involves 2 Slately's. I think that the fact that the perspective view on slately doesn't change is supposed to both apply emphasis to and cloud the fact that he has risen.

It's a very important piece of misdirection. If you change the background without changing the foreground most people will not perceive any changes in the foreground. It's a basic tenant of illusion.

Of course I'm very content to be wrong. I mostly wanted to put out a differing viewpoint that wasn't really being explored well.
NastySasquatch

Postby the_tick_rules » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:04 pm

What's the bounty on the archons again? It'd help to remember what they are fighting for.
the_tick_rules

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions