Summer Updates - 044

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 044

Postby OneHugeTuck » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:19 pm

shneekeythelost wrote:To be honest, I'm surprised Parson didn't also bring up 'Not into Necrophilia' as another reason to not have fun with Decrypted units... despite the fact that they are not 'uncroaked', it could still have a similar 'squick' vibe of "That was once dead... ewww, no".

They are uncroaked, they're just REALLY good uncroaked.

I know there's the 'popped again' theory, but I don't ascribe to it.

Which brings up the questions, is it really necrophillia if they are breathing, and flesh isn't falling from their bones?
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Emaria » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:06 am

awww moose. No fun at all. I wanted to ask about the drop bears. That'd make a nice erfworld unit ya know. Cept' they'd be dwop bears.
Emaria

Postby Danetrix » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:03 am

OneHugeTuck wrote:Which brings up the questions, is it really necrophillia if they are breathing, and flesh isn't falling from their bones?

I'll take "What is Vampire Sex?" (not the sparkly kind) for 500.
Danetrix

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:17 am

Sixty wrote:Sorry for getting us a little off topic there with the question about poisonous animals.

I am also sorry for responding to your question about poisonous animals. :lol:

And I got moose o death's reference as well. I thought it quite humorous.

To stay on topic, I have a thought about loyalty. Everyone says it is an invisible unknownable stat but are sure it exists. What if it's not a stat at all but functions like real loyalty would on Earth but since everything else on Erf IS stat based everyone there assumes it too must be a stat? This was just something I wondered as I was reading the new posts so I obviously haven't put a huge amount of thought into it. I'm sure you could think of something to disprove.

It is an interesting point, I expect we'll see it play an important role in the future. It was raised in the past, as was the prospect of turning, but it never really came into play. I'll be interested to see when/if/who actually turns.

But that seems like a good a theory as any. And it seems like an understandable thing for erfworlders to think.

shneekeythelost wrote:To be honest, I'm surprised Parson didn't also bring up 'Not into Necrophilia' as another reason to not have fun with Decrypted units... despite the fact that they are not 'uncroaked', it could still have a similar 'squick' vibe of "That was once dead... ewww, no".

Maybe Parson was a fan of Buffy/Angel or any other show/movie that had vampire/living person relationships?

Not that being a fan of such story lines would necessary make one comfortable about being in a relationship with someone who might technically be some type of undead.

Oooo, beaten to the post.

OneHugeTuck wrote:Which brings up the questions, is it really necrophillia if they are breathing, and flesh isn't falling from their bones?

I don't think it really applies, they are different from a naturally popped, living Erfworlder (there is a reason they are called decrypted after all), but they are certainly also very different from an uncroaked Erfworlder.

Emaria wrote:awww moose. No fun at all. I wanted to ask about the drop bears. That'd make a nice erfworld unit ya know. Cept' they'd be dwop bears.

A fearsome forest unit? They could dwop off of gumps.
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby BillMcD » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:33 am

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:
Emaria wrote:awww moose. No fun at all. I wanted to ask about the drop bears. That'd make a nice erfworld unit ya know. Cept' they'd be dwop bears.

A fearsome forest unit? They could dwop off of gumps.

Would that make them gum-dwops?
BillMcD

Postby moose o death » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:54 am

seriously the thursday to wednesday update gap is way too big. were 18 pages in and debating how to incorporate koalas into erfworld.

drop bears are a myth

buuut if a koala fell on you, you wouldn't be happy about it. they're heavy.

honestly rob needs to make an oceana side for all the aussies and kiwi's. the units could be so alien and weird. i've mentioned it before. i do like the gum dwops unit idea that's a good pun on a stupid myth.

then you've got all the aussie's and kiwi's that went to america and became the dumbest embassadors for our countries ever. we are not like russel crow, steve irwin or pual hogan (crocodile dundee) but those guys are what everyone thinks we're like. they would make for good warlords/rulers.

this thread is way off topic but i blame the huge gap in between updates and the initial subject matter of sex in erfworld. really who leaves mature adults to talk about sex as a topic for a week. that's asking for trouble.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Manticore » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:07 am

Emaria wrote: Cept' they'd be dwop bears.

That reminds me of the one thing that nearly got me registered on the last forum to comment on.

Why the boop didn't the sword grant Parson "wuthlessness"???
Manticore

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:12 am

moose o death wrote:honestly rob needs to make an oceana side for all the aussies and kiwi's. the units could be so alien and weird. i've mentioned it before. i do like the gum dwops unit idea that's a good pun on a stupid myth.

I admit I do like a good satirical take on things Australiana (when done right, like Terry Pratchett's The Last Continent was).

And that was a good pun. Kudos BillMcD.

then you've got all the aussie's and kiwi's that went to america and became the dumbest embassadors for our countries ever. we are not like russel crow, steve irwin or pual hogan (crocodile dundee) but those guys are what everyone thinks we're like. they would make for good warlords/rulers.

But the Kiwis are like Flight of the Conchords aren't they? Aren't they??! ( ;) )

this thread is way off topic but i blame the huge gap in between updates and the initial subject matter of sex in erfworld. really who leaves mature adults to talk about sex as a topic for a week. that's asking for trouble.

I'm surprised more speculation didn't go into the one time Parson said "no, bad plan". What did they do.... Or Parson's feelings about his role. But I guess sex did turn out to be the elephant in the room.
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby Bahamuttone » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:46 am

I really really don't understand the whole discussion about it can be considered necrophilia.

The MAIN point of necrophilia is that the other part is dead acting dead [that is not moving and unresponsive]

from wikipedia about the motivation of necrophiliacs
# 68 percent were motivated by a desire for an unresisting and unrejecting partner;
# 21 percent by a want for reunion with a lost partner;
# 15 percent by sexual attraction to dead people;
# 15 percent by a desire for comfort or to overcome feelings of isolation; and
# 11 percent by a desire to remedy low self-esteem by expressing power over a corpse

How he hell one fully alert, moving, breathing, and supposedly warm partner can be considered a corpse i definitely don't understand.
Bahamuttone
Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Justyn » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:50 am

Bahamuttone wrote:I really really don't understand the whole discussion about it can be considered necrophilia.

The MAIN point of necrophilia is that the other part is dead acting dead [that is not moving and unresponsive]

# 68 percent were motivated by a desire for an unresisting and unrejecting partner;
# 11 percent by a desire to remedy low self-esteem by expressing power over a corpse

How he hell one fully alert, moving, breathing, and supposedly warm partner can be considered a corpse i definitely don't understand.

Wtf? That's 130%.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Gez » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:00 am

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:But the Kiwis are like Flight of the Conchords aren't they? Aren't they??! ( ;) )

Only if they go very fast and have a long pointy beak that they can lower when they land. You gotta pile bad puns upon the pop-culture references!
Gez

Postby AllPurposeNerd » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:39 am

Justyn wrote:Wtf? That's 130%.

They got a LOT of people for that study.
Takeoff every Sig. You know what you do.
AllPurposeNerd
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby hajo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:41 am

We were already told that Parson talked with some of the Archons, but given no details.

I'm quite sure there is a lot to be learned about them, their missions, about Charlie, his business,
about other kingdoms, and the map of Erf if he would talk with all of them (and keeping notes).
-HaJo

You Only Live Twice or so it seems,
One life 'till you croak, and one 'till you dust.
hajo

Postby imgran » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:01 am

Justyn wrote:
Bahamuttone wrote:I really really don't understand the whole discussion about it can be considered necrophilia.

Wtf? That's 130%.

Obviously some had more than one reason.
imgran

Postby the_tick_rules » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:09 am

New GK looks pretty small.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby Skyer » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:49 am

OneHugeTuck wrote: Which brings up the questions, is it really necrophillia if they are breathing, and flesh isn't falling from their bones?

That turns into a debate over what constitutes a corpse, but to answer that, we have to notice that these are Erfworld corpses. At the very least, it's xenophilia. In fact, sex between Parson and any Erfworlder is xenophilia. Maggie is probably more genetically similar to the marbits than she is to Parson. As Spock would say, they may not be carbon biased life forms.

Danetrix wrote:I'll take "What is Vampire Sex?" (not the sparkly kind) for 500.

Just LMAO over that. Kudos.

Someone brought up an interesting point about Loyalty- If it's invisible, maybe it's not a stat, but just loyalty the way it works for earthworlders. Everyone assumes it's a stat because everything is a stat.
Maybe it is a stat, and all earthworld stats are invisible. :shock: Physics gives us the "Stats" for earthworld, but for a long time people just assumed things worked because God said so or something similar. Maybe Erfworld physics are advanced to the point where they can predict how much damage a unit will inflict? Like predictomancy that has become commonplace.
Not likely, but a cool idea to toy with.
Skyer

Postby hajo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:51 am

the_tick_rules wrote:New GK looks pretty small.

The tower looks quite different from the first picture in the summer-updates, same for the wall on both sides.

Also, the citywalls are well above the lava lake, not like "half of the city walls extending down
around a permanent lava lake", and I can see no real pattern of streets between the houses.
-HaJo

You Only Live Twice or so it seems,
One life 'till you croak, and one 'till you dust.
hajo

Postby Emaria » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:05 pm

gumdwops buahahaha. Yes. I know the drop bears are a myth of course but so are dragons and unicorns. Maybe we can throw bigfoot and the chupacabra in there for the americans. But going for an all out aussie themed side would be pretty funny as well.
Emaria

Postby Jatopian » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:26 pm

hajo wrote:The tower looks quite different from the first picture in the summer-updates, same for the wall on both sides.
Hmm, yes indeed. And both the one by Jamie and the one by Xin could be canon... I'm going to assume the one in the actual comic is.
Jatopian

Postby atteSmythe » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:42 pm

Manticore wrote:
Emaria wrote: Cept' they'd be dwop bears.

That reminds me of the one thing that nearly got me registered on the last forum to comment on.

Why the boop didn't the sword grant Parson "wuthlessness"???

So far, we've only seen the r->w replacement on the names of unit types.

If not, why isn't it "Ewfwowld?" :P (Hmmm, starting to look a little Welsh in here)
atteSmythe

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions