Book 2 - Parson's Klog 4

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 - Parson's Klog 4

Postby balder » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:28 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 - Parson's Klog 4

Postby partywhipple » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:38 am

Disappointed this was not more of the battle we're all waiting to see resolved. Now we have to wait another week for the next comic. Boo.
Best not to line your walls with mercenaries...
partywhipple

Postby multilis » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:40 am

Charlie has easier time hacking thinkomancy (one discipline) then books which are 3 disciplines and required him to link up to 2 casters to make the hack?

Perhaps he can't intercept the books so he wanted them to switch to thinkograms.

This update is important for something...
multilis

Postby Morni » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:43 am

Fair warning, theirs more text bellow the image then on the image.
Morni

Postby balder » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:45 am

partywhipple wrote:Disappointed this was not more of the battle we're all waiting to see resolved. Now we have to wait another week for the next comic. Boo.

Partywhipple, we are on the road to GenCon. Literally. Right now I'm posting this from a West Virginia highway. This is the only con in the year that Xin attends. There wasn't going to be an update at all this week, but I decided we had time to write and draw a Parson's Klog at least. Thanks for making sure you rushed to be the first to post, when all you have to say is that you're disappointed. Boo right back at you.
balder

Postby cheeseaholic » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:50 am

The right question to ask? Looks like Maggie was wanting Parson to think more like a warlord. Of course I'm pretty sure that we already knew that.

So a Foolamancer can make foolamancy projecting items? That could be interesting.
cheeseaholic

Postby cheeseaholic » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:51 am

Oh btw this isn't pinned.
cheeseaholic

Postby Whispri » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:57 am

Re: Parson's complaints about pen usage: Hasn't he ever heard of scribes? Dictate man, dictate!
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:59 am

Interesting that though he didn't want to talk about the 3-way linkup, Jack was willing to 2-way. I guess those are much easier...
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Morni » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:01 pm

balder wrote:Partywhipple, we are on the road to GenCon. Literally. Right now I'm posting this from a West Virginia highway. This is the only con in the year that Xin attends. There wasn't going to be an update at all this week, but I decided we had time to write and draw a Parson's Klog at least.....

To tell you the truth I was kinda hoping for more action too. But with this explanation, I'm Happy you took the time to post the KLOG.

so does this mean no weekend update?

ps: Thanks you again for the KLOG.
Morni

Postby effataigus » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:04 pm

balder wrote:
partywhipple wrote:Disappointed this was not more of the battle we're all waiting to see resolved. Now we have to wait another week for the next comic. Boo.

Partywhipple, we are on the road to GenCon. Literally. Right now I'm posting this from a West Virginia highway. This is the only con in the year that Xin attends. There wasn't going to be an update at all this week, but I decided we had time to write and draw a Parson's Klog at least. Thanks for making sure you rushed to be the first to post, when all you have to say is that you're disappointed. Boo right back at you.

It's much easier to be sympathetic to positions that are stated ;)

Thanks for the update and happy conventioning!

Does this mean that the bank of pre-done comics is exhausted?
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Whispri » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:07 pm

multilis wrote:Perhaps he can't intercept the books so he wanted them to switch to thinkograms.

That would make a lot of sense.

drachefly wrote:Interesting that though he didn't want to talk about the 3-way linkup, Jack was willing to 2-way. I guess those are much easier...

As I recall, the Summer Updates stated outright that two-ways links are far safer than threesomes.
Whispri

Postby 0beron » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:13 pm

Whispri wrote:
drachefly wrote:Interesting that though he didn't want to talk about the 3-way linkup, Jack was willing to 2-way. I guess those are much easier...

As I recall, the Summer Updates stated outright that two-ways links are far safer than threesomes.

That is correct. Also Jack's reluctance to discuss the link probably is enhanced by the particular effect it had on him. The fact that it is dangerous to make a 3-way is bad enough, then add on to that the fact that you went totally bonkers the last time you made one...and it's not gonna be a pleasant topic.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kreistor » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:18 pm

Aw! Parson gets Hamstard in 3D but we don't. 8(

Interesting that a two-link could modify the product of a three-link.
Last edited by Kreistor on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby balder » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:42 pm

effataigus wrote:It's much easier to be sympathetic to positions that are stated ;)

Yeah I realized this and posted new Site News. When we were planning to skip an update or do a Kickstarter story, I had Xin create the animated gif.

effataigus wrote:Does this mean that the bank of pre-done comics is exhausted?

Gonna try like hell to have that written today and get Xin to draw it sometime over the weekend. I'm really, really eager to write this next Inner Peace. And I think you'll see why when it's up.
balder

Postby Swodaems » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:00 pm

I like this Klog. We've needed more insight into Parson's mind for a while now. I'll be waiting to see Parson's "something personal."

On Charlie and the books:
It may be the case that Charlie can't actually call Parson. At least not directly. We seen Parson recieve thinkagrams from Maggie and a decrypted Archon, but when he has talked to Charlie, he's either used Maggie to initiate a call or used the book. The thinkamancers had a part in making the spell that summoned Parson and may have included a way to keep Charlie from calling Parson directly.

Charlie may also be wanting to try to keep his dealings with Parson secret from Maggie, and by extension, the GMTTA by talking to Parson in a way that makes it hard for Maggie to listen in. Sure, Parson could relate every word that charlie send to him, but that would require two things: Effort and trust. If Parson doesn't find something Charlie said relevent, he may not relay it, and by adding another layer of communication, Charlie can also create trust issues. Sure, Maggie may trust Parson to tell her everything if she asks, but will the GMTTA do the same?

On the Subject of Hamstard:
balder wrote:Here's a thread to post your homemade Hamstard comics, made with the new engine created by TheFool76, who built the original hamstard.com. You can also post your comics for up/downvotes at the Erfworld subreddit. We will be using that as a mass slushpile for submissions on the new website.

For now, the Hamstard-maker is shared only with those who have donated to the Year of the Dwagon Kickstarter project, but once that is over I will post the link here.

This link hasn't been released in the "Post your Hamstards" thread to non-backers.

Kreistor wrote:INteresting that a Two-link could mdify the product of a three-link.
Thinking back on the three eyemancer link, I have my doubts about how well that link was utilized. The Real-time Map feature looked interesting, but given the relative nature of time in Erfworld, real-time observation may actually have been a hinderence. Aside from the RTM display, we didn't see any abilities the component casters could not have mimiced as seperate entities.

I think the purpose of having that link may have been to give the lookamancer more Juice to see things. (Or to allow Wanda to easily become Chief Caster of Gobwin Knob, by tying up Maggie in a link. (Yes, I think Maggie used to be the Chief caster of GK before Wanda came along. Barring a caster we don't know about, before Wanda and Jack came along, the choices were Maggie, Misty, and Sizemore. And given what we've seen of Misty's and Sizemore's personalities....))
Swodaems

Postby 0beron » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:21 pm

Swodaems wrote:Thinking back on the three eyemancer link, I have my doubts about how well that link was utilized. The Real-time Map feature looked interesting, but given the relative nature of time in Erfworld, real-time observation may actually have been a hinderence. Aside from the RTM display, we didn't see any abilities the component casters could not have mimiced as seperate entities.

I disagree, based on the fact that Maggie acknowledge that it was a huge tactical advantage, and one of the best decisions Stanley had made. The fact that (as you commented) Misty would have access to more juice is obviously a big advantage. Additionally, Maggie would provide information relayed from scouts and commanders, which actually saves Misty from looking herself, thereby saving the link juice.
The "Real-Time" aspect is a misleading term, but I don't think it hampers them at all. Stanley would see things happen on the map in the proper order, regardless of when they actually happen. So the table would actually show things happening "faster" than the individual hexes experienced them. Stanley orders a battle that actually takes an hour to resolve...and 30 seconds later it is resolved on the table. So no, relative time isn't a problem here.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby effataigus » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:37 pm

balder wrote:Gonna try like hell to have that written today and get Xin to draw it sometime over the weekend. I'm really, really eager to write this next Inner Peace. And I think you'll see why when it's up.

Exciting! Even eagerer to read it, then.

Love the .gif btw... are Franklin's sunglasses clip-ons?

Where is Bland?? I bet he/she is somewhere kicking his or herself for missing an opportunity for a sunglassed-Sylvia avatar.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Myth » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:50 pm

balder wrote:Partywhipple, we are on the road to GenCon. Literally. Right now I'm posting this from a West Virginia highway. This is the only con in the year that Xin attends. There wasn't going to be an update at all this week, but I decided we had time to write and draw a Parson's Klog at least. Thanks for making sure you rushed to be the first to post, when all you have to say is that you're disappointed. Boo right back at you.

This might be an area where a bit of advance notice could go a long way. Right now, the Update Schedule above the comic still says to expect one comic a week. If there had been an update in advance warning of no comic update this week due to GenCon, I think most folks would be pretty understanding about that - and the posting of a Klog would have resulted in folks being pleasantly surprised, rather than disappointed.
Myth
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:52 pm

0beron wrote:
Whispri wrote:

That is correct. Also Jack's reluctance to discuss the link probably is enhanced by the particular effect it had on him. The fact that it is dangerous to make a 3-way is bad enough, then add on to that the fact that you went totally bonkers the last time you made one...and it's not gonna be a pleasant topic.

Yes, we knew it was much safer - I was referring to 2-way being SO MUCH safer that it didn't even trigger Jack in a way that talking about a 3-way did.

It may be analogous to the difference between letting someone give you a cranial massage, and letting someone smash your head into someone else's head. Having the latter occur may or may not bring about a cranial massage aversion.

~~~

ETA: also, the above post. Now, I'm down for a Klog at any time so long as we don't have more than one in ay four strip stretch, but keeping the readers informed in advance is an A+ thing.
drachefly

Next

Return to Reactions