Book 2 – Page 111

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 111

Postby Aquillion » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:03 pm

hehehe426 wrote:I AM SO EXCITED
jack's getting decrypted! yay!
I had been worried he might have... y'know burned up in the inferno or something D:
If the volcano failed to do it to the corpses in Gobwin Knob, it seems unlikely that the inferno would do it here.
Aquillion

Postby Not Me » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:10 pm

About Parson's enquiry for Sizemore's juice, a link-up is possible but I wouldn't be expecting one since if Sizemore was out of juice he could still use the juice of the linked-up casters to do the casting regardless of his own juice.

Jeivar wrote:Parson would score big points with me if his "genius" plan is to just let the fallen enemies stay dead rather than turn them against their own people, and have Sizemore build some sort of monument. He clearly has never been happy about Wanda's love of decrypting.

Something in that line crossed my mind. But for the "monument" in itself, if Sizemore was out of juice he could still ask Wanda to cast Dirtamancy.
I'm not sure how much does Parson know about Trammenis and the Royals mind and psychology but I was thinking something like making a "regal" monument to "honor" all the fallen in this battle and make clear to everyone that Charlie played a big role in all those deaths. I can only see the "monument" thing if it serves the purpose of winning Jetstone's favour and swaying them to oppose Charlie.

Drongo2 wrote:Parson knows that Charlie will call to ask about his chances of attacking the city. Parson can give Charlie an honest answer then vastly increase his chances to defend by getting Wanda to decrypt the groups after Parson gives his answer.

If Parson wants to attack Charlie he can do it whenever he wants with a caster army through the portals.

Werebiscuit wrote:The only Idea I've seen so far that makes any sense is that he wants to keep the corpses out of bracer calculations while he contacts Charlie and manouvers Charlie into spending another calculation which would be usless as it doesn't reflect the potential situation...only the current one.

I was also thinking that anything "genius" has to be something against Charlie. Charlie wanted to trap Parson and force him to use the Scroll. That didn't work so far. I don't think Charlie will just stay put and lick his wounds but to keep being aggressive against Parson. And now that Parson knows Charlie is plotting against him I expect Charlie to go hard on Parson without so much subterfuge. The "bracer calculation move" as with TBfGK would be the least Parson should be expecting from Charlie so by waiting to do the mass decryption he is somehow countering that move. Thing is I don't see how Sizemore get's in other than with the monument thing mentioned before.

Mikalyaran wrote:If I recall somewhere Sizemore mentions thinking he might reach master class for the first time in his life. Don't remember what page though. So Sizemore is good. Nearing the top but not their yet.

Here

Between the volcano link-up and his three recent levels (two from traps and combat, one from all of the city rebuilding), Sizemore was now a greater Dirtamancer than he ever imagined he could become. He had not actually crossed the threshold to Master class, but that could happen any time a caster gained powerful new insight into his discipline or major class. The body analogy wasn't quite enough to push him past that mark; he was still missing something. But for the first time in his life, he felt pretty sure that he would get there.
Not Me

Postby hajo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Morni wrote:We don't know how/if King Saline IV used Sizemore a lot or not.

We know from Book1: Sizemore was digging tunnels to get at the gems.
-HaJo

You Only Live Twice or so it seems,
One life 'till you croak, and one 'till you dust.
hajo

Postby multilis » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Ambush plan possible... decrypt some and hide other bodies. Leave city a wreck. Wait for enemy to scout and strike.
Suddenly:
1) sizemore rebuilds city and tower (perhaps emphasis on tower if attacker is archon)
2) wanda decrypts everything else
3) casters use juice to put spells in tower, casters are also more powerful themselves in tower.

Goal: Lure Charlie into trap, get some archons. Ideal is if charlie uses a calculation to ask similar question of "how many archons it takes to defeat forces in city" before he attacks.

If Charlie plays smart and figures out trap, Parson isn't much behind, still has full army and a portal to flee through if required. But if Charlie or other scavenger takes the bait then Parson gets replacement army.

Linkup with Sizemore has been good for finding gems. Casters from magic kingdom might be hired with gems. Unknown if one can mine for gems under Jetstone.

If one carries a body into magic kingdom then decrypts it, that might bypass portal allowing only casters. (If I was parson, might do calcs on bracer when spare time, already magic kingdom had a fight between pro charlie and pro parson forces).

Parson was half done reading scroll when he got knocked out. He might *remember* how scroll works, and use it for something else. For example it may be a "remove spell" scroll, and Parson could make a deal with Charlie then use the scroll to break it.
Last edited by multilis on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
multilis

Postby Mindless Automaton » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:49 pm

ManaCaster wrote:From the way his body is posed, it looks like Jojo was planning on going somewhere. I realize he can't actually fight right now, but I would think he would enjoy watching. I wonder what he is/was up to?

I was just at a carnival, so I should be an expert on this topic.

He was going to throw a beanbag and knock all the cans off the table! (and win a prize!)
Mindless Automaton
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Urf » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:05 pm

Who wants to place bets that Decrypted casters have no juice limit?
Urf

Postby ManaCaster » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:31 pm

Urf wrote:Who wants to place bets that Decrypted casters have no juice limit?

Not me, since Archons require juice and there has been nothing to suggest that Decrypted Archons bypass that restriction. After all, if Decrypted Archons had no juice limit, they'd probably keep 1 with the Thinkamancy special on hand back home for sending intel.
ManaCaster

Postby gazes_also » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:40 pm

I read it as Parson wants Jack and Ace decrypted straight away, the question was whether Wanda does a mass decrypt of everyone else at the same time.

If Sizemore moves/buries all the bodies they would have a stash of decrypt-ready bodies that wouldn't be affected by the end of the Turn?
Sizemore creates a fake army of statutes/golems to deceive Charlie as to the size of the force? The Beau Geste tactic.

Using them as ambush for Charlie seems a bit obvious. Even with the decrypts Charlie would still have air superiority and would attack in overwhelming force if he did attack. A stand-off is possible, if Charlie knows the bodies are there waiting but not how many or where.

The TMK invasion theory doesn't make sense to me. Isn't it only the casters who were fighting who were frozen by Janice's spell? The neutrals could still react, and I don't see any normal army standing a chance against the massed power of the Casters. An act of aggression against TMK as a whole would certainly force them into Charlie's camp.
gazes_also
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby multilis » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:44 pm

gazes_also wrote:The TMK invasion theory doesn't make sense to me. Isn't it only the casters who were fighting who were frozen by Janice's spell? The neutrals could still react, and I don't see any normal army standing a chance against the massed power of the Casters. An act of aggression against TMK as a whole would certainly force them into Charlie's camp.

it may make sense at a later time, a surprise snowball is required... killing and decrypting those that oppose you faster than you lose casters.

Ambush option, remember that any archon killed becomes an archon for Parson's side. Parson's archons have chief warlord and wanda/decrypted bonus in same hex, if they go to tower they also may get tower bonus to their casting. We know that a dirtomancy scroll to make bigger Tower made big difference in Book 0.

Especially if a decrypted caster has full juice, then parson may have 5 casters and 100 ranged units to work with including a few heavy ranged units, that may be enough to kill 10+ archons before Charlie's army flees, and those archons could then help his Toolship tame replacement dragons.
multilis

Postby Squall83 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:26 pm

Well, a link-up is out of question, because Maggie is out of juice, so if Sizemore has to do something before their turn starts (and the dead bodies disappear), he has to do it himself.

I don't think graves will be involved, unless he want to bury the Carnimancy spell, but that's not really genius either and there's no reason to keep Wanda from decrypting everyone.
Squall83

Postby Squall83 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:44 pm

cheeseaholic wrote:
ruleno2 wrote:Hmmm... so, this one's a stretch but - you can't cross hex boundaries (and garrison boundaries?) off-turn, at least as a living unit. Could Parson be planning to move the bodies out of the city before decrypting them to try and take down Tramennis' fleeing forces? Makes sense Sizemore-wise if they could use his juice to move them en-masse somehow.

I suppose you could fire the corpses from a catapult as ranged weapons and try to decrypt them halfway through the hex wall. But I doubt that Trem is just one hex over.
Im remember a summer update with an arrow getting stuck in the air.
Squall83

Postby Tathar » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:53 pm

drachefly wrote:
Urf wrote:Spacerock has always had effigies honoring deceased casters and Royals. Now that it's turned to GK, we have tapestries honoring deceased casters(Maggie, Jack) and significant units(Bogroll).

Misty...

I sense a bunch of bets coming on concerning Parson's genius plan.

I really hope he's not going to pull a Misty on us. At the same time, there aren't many things it can be.

EDIT: I've been having a really good track record with my predictions lately, so I'm just not going to predict this one. I don't want it to happen that way.
Last edited by Tathar on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beeskee wrote:I was reluctant to assume Charlie was the Wizard, since it seems like if a butterfly farts in an unmapped hex, we're all ready to assume it's somehow part of Charlie's grand schemes to control the wind or whatever.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Tathar » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:01 pm

ManaCaster wrote:

Not me, since Archons require juice and there has been nothing to suggest that Decrypted Archons bypass that restriction. After all, if Decrypted Archons had no juice limit, they'd probably keep 1 with the Thinkamancy special on hand back home for sending intel.

Oh right, Decrypted Archons. Yeah, pretty much a sure thing that Decrypted casters can still cast then, since Archons can cast too.

I think if it turns out that Sizemore is out or low on juice, that Parson's going to try to offer some. Casters can share juice, right?
Beeskee wrote:I was reluctant to assume Charlie was the Wizard, since it seems like if a butterfly farts in an unmapped hex, we're all ready to assume it's somehow part of Charlie's grand schemes to control the wind or whatever.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:47 pm

Tathar wrote:
ManaCaster wrote:

Oh right, Decrypted Archons. Yeah, pretty much a sure thing that Decrypted casters can still cast then, since Archons can cast too.

I think if it turns out that Sizemore is out or low on juice, that Parson's going to try to offer some. Casters can share juice, right?

Don't think so.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Somna » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Lipkin wrote:
Tathar wrote:
ManaCaster wrote:Not me, since Archons require juice and there has been nothing to suggest that Decrypted Archons bypass that restriction. After all, if Decrypted Archons had no juice limit, they'd probably keep 1 with the Thinkamancy special on hand back home for sending intel.

Don't think so.

Requires a link most likely. (Remember that Kingworld took the equivalent of two turns of Vanna's juice.)
Somna

Postby Zeku » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:01 pm

Of the theories in this thread, the 'trap' theory seems the best.

But since the trap depends on Charlie digging through the rubble, I think it's missing a component.

What does Charlie want? Parson's body. To insure that he is gone forever, or perhaps to use in some other way.

Dirtamancy+Dollamancy = perfect copy of Parson, that can be used as a corpse bomb, a scouting method, or to simply attract some of Charlie's forces into striking distance.

Jack's Foolamancy can add a layer to the deception, presenting a 'rebuilt' Spacerock. And when Charlie looks past the veil with his Archons, all he'll see is Parson's body along with a bunch of others, perhaps a few grievers.
Zeku

Postby joosy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:34 pm

technojunkie wrote:I wonder if Sizemore can reconstitute the ash from burned corpses back into bodies...

..but... but ... but.. that would mean.. that.. Sylvia could return....!

NOOOOoooOOOooooOOOO!!!
joosy

Postby ftl » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:53 pm

On an entirely unrelated note, I do like that Parson recognizes how much of a trainwreck this battle has been for him and doesn't try to pass off the blame for it.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:01 pm

Zeku wrote:Jack's Foolamancy can add a layer to the deception, presenting a 'rebuilt' Spacerock. And when Charlie looks past the veil with his Archons, all he'll see is Parson's body along with a bunch of others, perhaps a few grievers.
In other words, Parson may delay the mass decryption to lure Charlie's forces into some sort of trap by making him think that Charlie has won. Of course Charlie is bound to be suspicious since the fire was put out instead of destroying the city, but that wouldn't rule out the possibility that Parson died in the fire. Unfortunately Parson made an appearance in the Magic Kingdom and was seen by the Carnymancers, so that means that Charlie knows that Parson is alive, and Parson probably expects that Charlie knows.

ftl wrote:I do like that Parson recognizes how much of a trainwreck this battle has been for him and doesn't try to pass off the blame for it.
Parson isn't just supposed to be a perfect warlord; he also really is a perfect warlord.
Lilwik

Postby ruleno2 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:12 pm

I like the Decoy Parson idea, but Jeftichew and co have already seen him alive in the magic kingdom, so it's unlikely Charlie will be in the dark about his survival. Moreover, why not revive Jack first and get his foolamancy assistance too (even if he can't cast, his input could help).

Firewall - not sure what's meant by that, but Sizemore may be able to make a Thinkamancy-safe area out of the city and thus prevent Charlie from scrying on the new forces. But since Parson has had little experience in those matters and even a master-class thinkamancer seems to have trouble keeping Charlie at bay I find it unlikely. Especially since Charlie already probably has a very good idea of how many units were available to decrypt. The same problem arises for any Charlie-trap Parson wants to make. I think the safe bet might be to assume Charlie Knows Everything and go from there.

Frankenstein monster / corpse creation: I find it unlikely purely from a Parson's-morality standpoint, but it also doesn't make much sense casting-wise. There hasn't been any indication something like this would work, certainly not without a major Dirtamancy-Croakamancy-Somethingmancy linkup (recall Maggie is out of juice so can't arbitrate one even if they wanted to). Moreover, why not do it earlier?

Re-Decryption: Turning the dust back into bodies is a neat idea, and maybe with Ace's help that's now possible (if it was possible before, why not do it then). However, why not decrypt the regular bodies first (at least Ace) before trying it out? It seems a little too God-mode too, so I find it unlikely.

Catapult/Move bodies out of the city/hex first: I still think this is a viable option, since it's an exploit that's also a big genius move. Parson just has to send the bodies far enough to reach Tramennis' marching forces (who are unlikely to be far - and might even still be in the same hex) and wipe them out (which they are fully capable of doing with so many warlords etc). It fits in with the free off-turn movement exploits Parson's been using this whole battle, and it provides some nice closure: solidifying Jetstone's defeat and leaving Tramennis with very few resources. Right now GK has won the battle - with this move they've won the war.

Magic Kingdom attack: Possible, exploitable, but unlikely I think since a) it would strand Parson's troops there leaving the capital undefended b) it would piss off far too many of the most powerful units in erfworld unnecessarily and c) there are a cornucopia of ways magic-users could stop such an attack, with a hippiemancy Time Out being the easiest. However, it at least seems possible so who knows. I just don't see why Parson would want to attack the magic kingdom though. I find it much more likely that he'd...

Send the bodies through the Magic Kingdom to Jetstone's new capital and destroy it: he has reason to attack them, the city is probably marginally defended, he's already guilty of using the magic kingdom portal exploit to win battles so it's not *quite* as likely to aggro the entire kingdom and if he does it quickly there's nothing anyone can do to stop him with Janice's hippiemancy in play. Just make a tunnel from Spacerock's portal to the new capital, get the bodies in some muddy surge, and send them all through (with Wanda) to victory. Downsides: probably takes longer than Janice's hippiemancy works, super morbid, super likely to create a real Magic Kingdom war, leaves the capital undefended, and there are a ton of small ways it could go wrong (dwagon stuck in the portal door for one). Overall, I find it unlikely - but at least possible.

Magic Parson Caster Abilities That We Don't Know About / Some Other Unknown Exploit: right now my money's on this.
ruleno2

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions