Book 2 – Page 111

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 111

Postby TheEcologist » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:04 am

Lipkin wrote:It's frankly a terrifying prospect. I expect he'll become a much darker character.

Honestly, it's only a matter of time before Wanda's loyalty wavers once more, and when she does, Jack is going to be a powerful weapon against both Parson and Jillian.

All decrypted units so far have had their signamancy change appropriately. Imagine Jack using foolamancy to change his and make a fake defection. Don't know if that would work, but it would be a terrible stab at Jillian if he did.

Can you say Heath Ledger?
TheEcologist

Postby vintermann » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:22 am

The art in this page is beyond gorgeous. I'm going to miss Xin :(

But as to Parson's plan, I think I know: He wants to use Sizemore to move the corpses - probably possible with dirtamancy.

Move them to the portal. Take them through.

Remember Janis' no engage spell? It means they can go right back through, and animate a very powerful army in the middle of the magic kingdom. I'd say his negotiation position with them will be somewhat better after that.

Conquering the magic kingdom is just the sort of over-the-top munchkin exploit that could win you a rigged game.
vintermann
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby LordBiscuit » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:39 am

vintermann wrote:The art in this page is beyond gorgeous. I'm going to miss Xin :(

But as to Parson's plan, I think I know: He wants to use Sizemore to move the corpses - probably possible with dirtamancy.

Move them to the portal. Take them through.

Remember Janis' no engage spell? It means they can go right back through, and animate a very powerful army in the middle of the magic kingdom. I'd say his negotiation position with them will be somewhat better after that.

Conquering the magic kingdom is just the sort of over-the-top munchkin exploit that could win you a rigged game.

And risk having the portal vaporize the corpses? A big gambit when you need them to protect your capital
LordBiscuit
Tool + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Somna » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:48 am

Or...

Maybe Parson wants Sizemore to link up to reform the dusted decrypted back into corpses, and then see if if the reformed corpses can be re-decrypted?
Somna

Postby Lilwik » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:16 am

vintermann wrote:Conquering the magic kingdom is just the sort of over-the-top munchkin exploit that could win you a rigged game.
That's an amazing idea. It's the only idea that I've seen that really explains why Parson would delay decrypting the units, but I still have a hard time believing it. For one thing, it shouldn't be possible to conquer the Magic Kingdom that way, even assuming croaked units can pass through the portal. I can't believe that Sizemore would be able to create a flood of croaked powerful enough to overwhelm the kingdom through such a small doorway; some caster would surely have a spell to stop it and the croaked wouldn't be able to fight back until they'd been decrypted.

On top of that Parson has just regained his invincible decrypted army. Gobwin Knob is set to conquer the world, It seems crazy to risk all of that on a wild stunt like invading the Magic Kingdom.
Lilwik

Postby Roketter » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:20 am

Maybe the dirtmancer can gather all the dirt each "dusted" decrypted unit left when destroyed, and the dollamancer can use that material to turn them back into corpses, at wich point wanda can re-decrypt them. Otherwise, the dirtmancer could use all that dust to make tons of dust golems i guess.
Roketter

Postby Somna » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:36 am

Roketter wrote:Maybe the dirtmancer can gather all the dirt each "dusted" decrypted unit left when destroyed, and the dollamancer can use that material to turn them back into corpses, at wich point wanda can re-decrypt them. Otherwise, the dirtmancer could use all that dust to make tons of dust golems i guess.

Whatever he's doing doesn't involve Ace, or he wouldn't have told her to hold off on mass decrypting.
Somna

Postby Finn MacCool » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:42 am

Lilwik wrote:
vintermann wrote:Conquering the magic kingdom is just the sort of over-the-top munchkin exploit that could win you a rigged game.
That's an amazing idea. It's the only idea that I've seen that really explains why Parson would delay decrypting the units, ...

what about the idea that he wants to revive everyone?
Finn MacCool

Postby vintermann » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:47 am

Lilwik wrote:On top of that Parson has just regained his invincible decrypted army. Gobwin Knob is set to conquer the world, It seems crazy to risk all of that on a wild stunt like invading the Magic Kingdom.

Problem is, Parson has just alienated the Magic Kingdom. He's in grave danger of every barbarian caster (except predicta- and maybe thinka-) in Erfworld uniting against him.

I don't think he can actually conquer the magic kingdom. Even if the force was strong enough (with continuous decryption, that's quite likely - provided uncroaked can cast), the hippiemancers would stop all fighting in the hex. But there would be a permanent standoff in the Magic Kingdom, where hippiemancers are saving everyone's asses, until Parson can negotiate something better.

As to the other objections: If a body is carried through the portal, it would probably be considered equipment and not disappear. Anyway, Parson can test that with a single body first. The other big unknown is whether uncroaked can cast. I'm thinking Parson probably want to find out that first too - with Ace, not with Jack, in case decrypted casters depop upon going through the portal.
vintermann

Postby Werebiscuit » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:51 am

The only Idea I've seen so far that makes any sense is that he wants to keep the corpses out of bracer calculations while he contacts Charlie and manouvers Charlie into spending another calculation which would be usless as it doesn't reflect the potential situation...only the current one.
Werebiscuit

Postby BakaGrappler » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:06 am

Please oh please oh please Decrypt Artemis!

I wonder what kinda genius Parson has going. I hope it's not a mass grave, but something that will add military value to the upcoming "reinforcing" of the lost military units expended this combat.
An epic space opera where you fully customize your Captain's Background, Military Career, and Court Martial.
Will you prevent civilization from fracturing and win back your honor? Or betray the Empress' trust and plunder the galaxy?
BakaGrappler

Postby joosy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:41 am

Atomic wrote:I'd feel far, far more comfortable with these past few pages if we could see Ace's eyes.

If you are implying that Ace isn't croaked, the evidence against that is that Gobwin Knob owns the city - they could not have done that with even an incapacitated/uncaptured unit still in the garrison.
joosy

Postby Aquillion » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:14 am

Zain wrote:
Urf wrote:Can a Hippiemancer-Thinkamancer-Dirtamancer create a Sanctuary Zone, with a persistent Armistice buff?

Surprised Wanda didn't mention the Royal body in her assessment. What would a Decrypted Slately offer the team?

There is no Royal Body left to be Decrypted, I believe Ace recovered it and Tremmenis ordered it Burnt. Gonna dig up the page.

EDIT: And here we are.
Some people have speculated that Tremmenis didn't obey that order, given the layout of the page (it gives the impression that he ran off immediately, considering Cubbins to be more important.)

I doubt it, of course. It just seems a bit silly to have a decrypted Slately, somehow.

Anyway, regarding a link-up: It would be a bit dangerous, since this time the casters probably can't go back to the Magic Kingdom to get a master-class thinkamancer to undo it (especially not if Parson himself is involved!)
Aquillion

Postby Morni » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:33 am

Dirtamancer is meant to create trap.

I'm pretty sure we can say that Charlie will attack next turn.

If Parson assume that Charile will attack then Parson might want to lay a trap for Charlie.

Have sizemore create a tunnel to bury the corpses, when Charlie Angel land.. Mass decrypt and suprise attack.
Morni

Postby Intocabille_CZ » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:04 am

Morni wrote:Have sizemore create a tunnel to bury the corpses, when Charlie Angel land.. Mass decrypt and suprise attack.

I thought that the corpses are treated as a resource with expiration date. Or was it just that you need to claim the corpse in some alloted time and then it decays slowly, uncroaked or not?
Intocabille_CZ

Postby mastigo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:19 am

Anybody else find it interesting that there's a scroll-picture of Jack on the wall? In every other instance I can think of, the art has been of the ruler
mastigo

Postby Urf » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:36 am

Spacerock has always had effigies honoring deceased casters and Royals. Now that it's turned to GK, we have tapestries honoring deceased casters(Maggie, Jack) and significant units(Bogroll).

As for Sizemore's juice move: SO OBVIOUS I want to punch myself. Parson wants him to build a firewall.
Urf

Postby Noigel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:01 am

(Thanks reteo for finding that page, now I realize Ossomer is very much gone.)

Does it scare anyone else how easily Sizemore stopped the inferno? He's definitely must be at the height of his class. Whatever Hamster does, I hope it favors the Tool and not Wanda. Stanley was monumental in changing over the portal. Saved all the bacon.
Noigel

Postby effataigus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:07 am

I too am puzzled by what Parson is referring to. I look forward to finding out. Sacking TMK with a bunch of decrypted units would be a pretty bold move (and not really in keeping with Parson's MO). I'd think that the plan would fail unless decrypted casters could cast and Wanda was churning through the place, but man, if it didn't... GK would have a hell of an army (until it had to pay upkeep). That said, if the casters all tried to fight back in the manner we just saw them fight each other... with fists... GK would be fine.

I don't really buy the ambush plan unless it is for Jillian rather than Charlie. From what we've seen of the bracer, it seems likely to me that it would default to including the potential for decrypting bodies in any calculation it made of Spacerock's defense, unless Charlie asked the question in a really obtuse way.

Awesome art, yet again. Wanda looks so happy.

Who cares about Ace, I'm stoked that Antium lived!
Last edited by effataigus on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Morni » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:11 am

Intocabille_CZ wrote:
Morni wrote:Have sizemore create a tunnel to bury the corpses, when Charlie Angel land.. Mass decrypt and suprise attack.

I thought that the corpses are treated as a resource with expiration date. Or was it just that you need to claim the corpse in some alloted time and then it decays slowly, uncroaked or not?

Corpse decays at the start of your turn. or depop if it was not move outside of the hex.

http://www.erfworld.com/2011/11/inner-p ... isode-006/
The body of the scout would have depopped at dawn, had they not moved it out of the hex where it was croaked. Claimed as a spoil for Goodminton, it would only decay a bit when they started their turn later in the morning. Wanda wanted to be with the body when that happened, so that she could study the process. Her life was full of firsts, but the firsts within her discipline were the ones that most held her interest.

Now city Hex.. city zone.. do they works the same way, i.e. if you move the corpse from the courtyard to the outer walls and vice versa
Morni

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions