Book 2 – Page 112

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 112

Postby Whispri » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:59 pm

Keighvin1 wrote:I can't remember if anyone said this, but how many troops did GK lose this turn? Stanley said it was roughly half the army, and I'm trying to guess how much the ~300 potential troops would represent of that.

Between the air group, the column, Progrock and possibly Brookstone? Well over a thousand soldiers. Could be as many as two thousand.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby ManaCaster » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:04 pm

I really hope Parson is doing more than just leaving a garrison in the Magic Kingdom. There is no way they are going to tolerate that. Too much risk that he'll eventually smuggle in an army large enough to actually conquer it. That'd be enough to unite everyone in the Magic Kingdom not involved in the conspiracy against Gobwin Knob. Heck, forget the Magic Kingdom, this could easily unite every single side in Erfworld against them.

And unless getting smuggled to the wrong side of the portal glitches Erfworld into bestowing the caster special, won't those troops be stuck? Where is he going to keep them?
ManaCaster

Postby Whispri » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:14 pm

Free Radical wrote:
Whispri wrote:If they don't finish things with Jetstone, the RCC II will remain intact. If the RCC II remains intact, they'll face a massive invasion as soon as Jetstone can organise it. They'd end up having to reinvade Jetstone's territory, fighting battles over the Sites of Cities they'd already taken. Spacerock being the Capital is indeed a serious problem that needs solving, but abandoning it just leads to more problems in the long run. And the City's high level, so it's hardly worthless.

As far as the current defences go BTW, they may be low in numbers of soldiers, but they could have as many as five Casters to defend it from any passing Archon Swarms, including Wanda to Decrypt the dead. I don't think Charlie'd risk it. An attack on Gobwin Knob is more of a worry... but we can at least say that Charlie didn't want this to happen. So I don't think he's in a position to kill Stanley on the morrow. Assassination on his trip to Spacerock is what I'd fear.

Jetstone has just lost a significant force, as well as the caster that makes a lot of their heavies, so probably won't be feeling adventurous. Their treasury is also basically empty. Considering that Parson mentions rebuilding a city even with a Dirtamancer is quite expensive, I don't think Jetstone would even be able to rebuild Spacerock (Haggar might though).

Considering Jetstone sent most of the units to the first RCC (and now-destroyed Unaroyal was the next biggest contributor), I'm not sure how much of a threat a new invasion is at the moment. If it did happen, Parson will have a much longer time with much more resources to come up with a winning strategy. That's a threat they have time to deal with. I don't think Charlie or what he's planning is.

There was talk of fifteen hundred pairs of manacles being needed if the Garrison fell when Cubbins was left to hold it. Some of those people will have been left behind to fight, but they probably ordered over a thousand warriors to flee the City, a solid backbone for a fresh army. And Citywise they still have two fives, take your boot of their necks for thirty odd turns and, well with their allies combined and with Charlie's backing... Never mind that their King is freshly orphaned, he could well be feeling vengeful.

The Sides of FoxMUD, Hobbittm, Sofa King and Hyatt remain undamaged by recent fighting. Sure, this defeat will probably delay the inevitable legion of doom™, but the danger isn't attack now, it's an attack at a critical moment during the war against Charlie. "Complete the battle once begun!" Or war in this case.
Last edited by Whispri on Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whispri

Postby LordAcme » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:16 pm

Oh and I can't believe anyone hasn't said this yet.

It looks like Sizemore isn't going to take any crap from the MK :D
LordAcme
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:27 pm

LordAcme wrote:Oh and I can't believe anyone hasn't said this yet.

It looks like Sizemore isn't going to take any crap from the MK :D

He's really started to dirty his hands ;)
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby cheeseaholic » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:32 pm

I wonder if there's gonna be an eye at the top of the pyramid. Giant thinkamancer focus or something.

We know that playground equipment can boost their power anyway.
cheeseaholic

Postby Mikalyaran » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:36 pm

Oreo2483 wrote:I personally think it has nothing to do with invading other portals or shipping bodies to different gobwin knob cities.

Remember, there are alot of casters who want to keep the MK neutral, so if he tried that hed have almost the whole MK against him and he doesnt need another war front in addition to charlie and the jetstone alliance.

no i think this is much more direct. He simply wants to have personal power on the MK side of the portal. Think about it. In the MK he is basically powerless and at the whims of the individual factions in the MK, whether it be the carnies, the thinkamancers or the predicatomancers. It is a cripling weakness that almost cost him the battle against jetsone cause the thinkamancers were arguing about whether or not to let him do his job. He only got out of it by promising the thinkamancers to return and hear their explanations. I hthink what hes trying to do is return with a show of force. let them know he isnt their puppet, and negotiate with them from a position of strength.

So, if he decrypts a personal army in the MK. He would then have a strong hand with which to bargain with the various groups who want to control him.

I agree entirely. Further it is hard to argue against a sides right to secure their own portal if they have the means available. Sure most people readily (and without thought) rely on the neutrality of the magic kingdom but if a side decided that wasn't good enough I can't see how anyone could argue against their right to secure their portal.
Mikalyaran
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Mikalyaran » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:38 pm

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:Yeah, we've seen that it is possible for a decrypted to turn through sheer force of personality/will/personal conflict. If anyone on Erf is likely to come out of being decrypted with no serious 'brain washing' effects, Jack would be the one I think.

Jack's keen perception and insight might even provide some info on being decrypted/the loyalty of decrypted.

Also regarding the structure Sizemore is building. This could be amazing! Sizemore's time to shiny. He could have time through the epilogue to build it into a wicked defensive structure.
Mikalyaran

Postby BakaGrappler » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:51 pm

shneekeythelost wrote:If he pulls this plan off, and I don't hear "This was a Triumph" at the end, I will be very disappointed. After all, he is winning through clever use of Portals. Makes me wonder if we're going to see a 'Speedy thing go in, speedy thing come out' reference in the next panel as they toss bodies across the portal boundary.

They are actually not tossing anything in through the portal. parson is carrying them through personally! That is a part of the genius, that the units are being carried through like luggage, and thus Parson's property, and not tossed in as dead units. This preserves them from the purging of the portal. "Stack them like cordwood" means Parson wants the dead piled up in the portal room so that he himself can carry them through the portal.
Hey, have you read Shadows of the Evergreen? It's my ErfFic. People say it's pretty good over here, and who am I to argue? Check it out, and then tell me what you think of my hack writing.
Last Updated: 6/16/14
BakaGrappler

Postby Whispri » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:54 pm

BakaGrappler wrote:
shneekeythelost wrote:If he pulls this plan off, and I don't hear "This was a Triumph" at the end, I will be very disappointed. After all, he is winning through clever use of Portals. Makes me wonder if we're going to see a 'Speedy thing go in, speedy thing come out' reference in the next panel as they toss bodies across the portal boundary.

They are actually not tossing anything in through the portal. parson is carrying them through personally! That is a part of the genius, that the units are being carried through like luggage, and thus Parson's property, and not tossed in as dead units. This preserves them from the purging of the portal. "Stack them like cordwood" means Parson wants the dead piled up in the portal room so that he himself can carry them through the portal.

I'm not actually sure which side of the portal he wants them stacked, could be either one.
Whispri

Postby arbo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:58 pm

Someone inevitably will bring it up, so why not now... brace yourselves...

Parson's gonna start his side at the MK!!

*runs for cover*
“Run this same calculation ten times in a row. Go.”
arbo
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Dusso » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:15 pm

With all those units of different sides?
Dusso

Postby BakaGrappler » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:41 pm

A quick thought. The garrison is a little... on the small side to house 250 units. And there IS still the underground tunnel. This lends credence to the idea of Razing Spacerock to change the capitol site back to GK, and then maybe have those 50 or so units left behind in Spacerock walk back to friendly lines, while Parson and the casters carry most of the bead bodies back to the newly anointed capitol of GK through the tunnel and another garrison set up.

...Or Parson could be having Sizemore make a Catacomb area for the soon to be Decrypted to populate with tunnels spanning to soon to be built turrets and sentry towers throughout the Park.
Hey, have you read Shadows of the Evergreen? It's my ErfFic. People say it's pretty good over here, and who am I to argue? Check it out, and then tell me what you think of my hack writing.
Last Updated: 6/16/14
BakaGrappler

Postby nargbop » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:46 pm

The Magic Kingdom is now wise to underground tunnels, and will use means to keep an underground complex from being made.

I'm interested in why Isaac says "fascinating.". I believe the pyramid is made of polarized Stuff like the Temple of Thinkamancers. he's saying "fascinating" because he didn't know Sizemore could make it, or that Parson woulsd know to order it.
nargbop

Postby ShieldOfAthena » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:42 pm

Raza wrote:I was thinking Isaac was using lookamancy there, since apparently the spell isn't an obvious enough reaction for the other thinkamancers to be doing it, too. Still eyemancy and probably within his abilities.
Isaac is a Master class Thinkamancer and Lookamancer, and an Adept of Foolomancy (from the section on him in the hard copy of the first part of book 2). So yes, a basic lookamancy spell is well within his capabilities.
ShieldOfAthena
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby DSMK2 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:50 pm

Seeing Sizemore's facial expressions, I'm getting ideas that he'll become the weakest link in GK or to even Parson's circle of Erfworld friends; someone to be exploited for betrayal. I'm thinking this due to Sizemore's discontent with Parson and the effect he's having on his relationship with MK.

Having to follow Parson's orders to create a structure in MK might be another step closer to the edge.
DSMK2

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:29 am

DSMK2 wrote:Seeing Sizemore's facial expressions, I'm getting ideas that he'll become the weakest link in GK or to even Parson's circle of Erfworld friends; someone to be exploited for betrayal. I'm thinking this due to Sizemore's discontent with Parson and the effect he's having on his relationship with MK.

Having to follow Parson's orders to create a structure in MK might be another step closer to the edge.

Charlie might try going that route (presuming he realized sizemore's discontent, which is obvious to us, but very very few others, most of which would oppose Charlie anyway), but turning on Parson would be turning on Jannis basically, so it seems unlikely.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby (name here) » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:30 am

I am supremely dubious of the idea of trying to take over the MK via decryption. I don't think the casters around the pyramid are even close to half the population. Most sides have three or fewer casters, and they're still hugely important on the field of battle. The ~300 bodies in the city may actually be outnumbered.
(name here)

Postby Ansan Gotti » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:45 am

Is anyone else surprised there are only 300 or so decryptable bodies? I had the feeling many hundreds if not thousands of hobgoblins and Jetstone troops died. And if Wanda could still decrypt troops after being burned by a volcano, why not after an inferno?
Ansan Gotti

Postby Messenger » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:26 am

Everyone's saying something profound or deep about the update and what it has to do with the rest of the storyline. Makes me feel bad for only having, "Heh. Glad to see the Carnymancers' faction get at least some comeuppance. Bonus points for it coming from Sizemore," to say. :?
Messenger

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions