Book 2 – Epilogue 03 – Ace on the Move

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Epilogue 03 – Ace on the Move

Postby MadZuri » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:43 pm

We have already read about a Dollamancer that could make units capable of thought. It was implied that he used his own Life to help animate them. I am not sure if a decrypted caster can do the same.

What I really want to see is Wanda link up with him and create cyborgs from croaked units.
MadZuri

Postby 0beron » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:33 pm

youngstormlord wrote:Transylvito has only two casters, which is not enough for Tri-link.

EDIT: My bad, I was thinking of a Shockamancer that belongs to Carpool. Instead:
No, it's been confirmed that they have a Dollamancer in addition to Bunny and Ben. The Dollamancer has been described as "a sick, twisted pervert" to paraphrase Ace I believe.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:20 pm

So I just saw a professional comic book artists work. ... Yeah, this new artist is better.
So we are getting professional quality work for free. Huzzah!!
Lamech

Postby Tonot » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:21 pm

youngstormlord wrote:Oh, I have a link combo for you. Ace - Maggie - Parson. Parson is a caster, remember? (probably Signamancer, like brother Labeler) I think that link up would be a weird feeling for Ace

OH BOY, that might break some rules, if it didn't break poor old Aces mind. When Wanda/Sizemore linked, they let one another know not just what the link was capable of, what was possible with the tools immediately to hand, they let one another know what they felt about possibilities, potentials. And Sizemore came away with enhanced knowledge of the potentials of his trade, he told Parson so.

Ace might link with Parson once, and "Get de woiks", he might come away not just "Ace Hardware" but "Acme Corporation" like Wile. e. Coyote sends away for all his things to.

"One dozen Acme Exploding Tennis Balls. Tickle your friends. Surprise your Opponents"
Tonot

Postby No one in particular » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:23 pm

0beron wrote:
youngstormlord wrote:Transylvito has only two casters, which is not enough for Tri-link.

No, it's been confirmed that they have both Doll and Shock in addition to Bunny. The Shockamancer is only mentioned once or twice though and hasn't even been named. But it seems to me that would be an AWESOME link, producing powerful weapons...especially considering that the Dollamancer has been described as "a sick, twisted pervert" to paraphrase Ace I believe. All the better to compliment Shockamancy.

Hm... could I trouble you for citations for the shockamancer? I know Caesar mentions Carport having one (First Intermission, 47), but I'm drawing a blank on any mention of Transylvito having one.

In exchange though, we DO know Transylvito also has a moneymancer! Pimped out Benjamin, yo. (heh, that'd be a good mathamancy/schockamancy combo... "Here's the bill!" D8 )

... and now I'm imagining a golem made entirely out of shmuckers. Ostentatious!
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby 0beron » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:25 pm

No one in particular wrote:Hm... could I trouble you for citations for the shockamancer?

Yeah, I realized my little confusion and edited my post but you must have hit the quote button before I could save my edit. My earlier point still stands though...it would be awesome if Transylvito finally won the war with Carpool and was able to link that Shockamancer with the Dollamancer they have.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:08 pm

Kreistor wrote:We might see some GI Joe stuff, like vehicles.
Let's not get too excited. He's a Dollamancer, but he's not very experienced, so I highly doubt that he is close to working in the other axes of Spookism. Vehicles have too much get-up-and-go for a mere Dollamancer to manage. He can probably make an amazing variety of tools and weapons, but for vehicles you need a Turnamancer. I doubt we'll be seeing any.
Lilwik

Postby No one in particular » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Lilwik wrote:
Kreistor wrote:We might see some GI Joe stuff, like vehicles.
Let's not get too excited. He's a Dollamancer, but he's not very experienced, so I highly doubt that he is close to working in the other axes of Spookism. Vehicles have too much get-up-and-go for a mere Dollamancer to manage. He can probably make an amazing variety of tools and weapons, but for vehicles you need a Turnamancer. I doubt we'll be seeing any.

I'm looking forward to the dollamancer-turnamancer link up that gives us Transformers.

It's a vehicle! It's a golem! It's BOTH!
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby YesNinja » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:29 pm

A lot (read: a couple) of people are saying that Ace couldn't make a vehicle, but I dunno about that! For one thing, Jillian said (if I remember correctly) that self-propelled vehicles are Turnamancer stuff. So things like cars that take someone else driving them, or planes that you have to peddle to work, should theoretically be possible.

Of course, all this goes out the window when you remember that Ace actually DID make a self-propelling vehicle. He made the Jetpack. And it could be argued that the flyer has to do something to make it function, except for the fact that Cubbins was totally incapacitated when he was auto-piloted away. Perhaps Ace is quite a bit more powerful than we're being led to believe?

(Speaking of Turnamancers, I'm gonna go make a thread discussing what exactly Turnamancers can do!)
YesNinja

Postby 0beron » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:34 pm

YesNinja wrote:Jillian said (if I remember correctly) that self-propelled vehicles are Turnamancer stuff.

I think you are misinterpreting "self-propelled". It doesn't mean they move automatically of their own accord, that would take intelligence rather than just motion. Self-propelled in this sense means the driver is not providing the motion. So your example of a car would require Turnamancy, but a bicycle for example would not.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby YesNinja » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:38 pm

0beron wrote:
YesNinja wrote:Jillian said (if I remember correctly) that self-propelled vehicles are Turnamancer stuff.

I think you are misinterpreting "self-propelled". It doesn't mean they move automatically of their own accord, that would take intelligence rather than just motion. Self-propelled in this sense means the driver is not providing the motion. So your example of a car would require Turnamancy, but a bicycle for example would not.

I dunno. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get into a Turnamancy-made vehicle and tell it "Go x hexes to the north, then stop." Perhaps similar to what Ace did with the jetpack.
YesNinja

Postby 0beron » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:48 pm

From Jillian's example I'd disagree, for two reasons. 1st is that she states they are used as and function as magic items, not units. 2nd is the specific quote "She willed it up the river." meaning she was in control.

Actually, on second thought those might not prove anything, seeings as the same behavior was exhibited by the jetpack, so maybe you have a point....I still have to say there must be some defining difference, because it is specified that only Turnamancers make the self-propelled vehicles...hmmm
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby ftl » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:01 pm

It could be that the jetpack doesn't count as a vehicle; it counts as an item which grants its wearer the Flight special.

I don't know what the difference is in practice between those things, though.

[edit] wait, I don't know how autopilot fits into that...

Maybe a 'vehicle' is something that can carry more than one unit?
[/edit]
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Difference could be that the Jetpack just adds the flight special, meaning travel via Jetpack would still deduct move, whereas a Turnamancy vehicle does not.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:15 pm

I endorse this notion.
drachefly

Postby ftl » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:28 pm

OOh, yeah, that would be a good distinction.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:43 pm

It's only natural that the line between Turnamancy and Dollamancy should be a bit blurry in certain cases. It's all Spookism. Weirdomancy is also Spookism, of course, and the only thing that we know that Weirdomancy can do is add and take away the flying special from units, so the jetpack looks a bit like Turnamancy and a bit like Weirdomancy. (See LIAB 33b.)

Of course, a jetpack isn't exactly a conventional vehicle. It's both light and slow. It might be as close to a vehicle as Dollamancy can get, though. I like the idea that a unit still uses its own move would flying with the jetpack, but the fact that the jetpack could carry Cubbins while incapacitated suggests that the jetpack has its own move.
Lilwik

Postby Lipkin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:52 pm

Lilwik wrote:It's only natural that the line between Turnamancy and Dollamancy should be a bit blurry in certain cases. It's all Spookism. Weirdomancy is also Spookism, of course, and the only thing that we know that Weirdomancy can do is add and take away the flying special from units, so the jetpack looks a bit like Turnamancy and a bit like Weirdomancy. (See LIAB 33b.)

Of course, a jetpack isn't exactly a conventional vehicle. It's both light and slow. It might be as close to a vehicle as Dollamancy can get, though. I like the idea that a unit still uses its own move would flying with the jetpack, but the fact that the jetpack could carry Cubbins while incapacitated suggests that the jetpack has its own move.

It could suggest it has it's own move. It could suggest that it tap into the wearer's move regardless of if they are conscious or not. It could suggest any number of things.

Slightly related topic. Ansom (later Ossomer's) flying carpet. Magic item? Mount? Dollamancy, Turnamancy?
Lipkin

Postby Lamech » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:27 pm

I don't think that the flying carpet or the jetpack where true vehicles. Vehicles are things like boats. They have levels. The Jetpack just grants the flight special, and the carpet is more like a pseudomount. That said, there is no reason that Ace couldn't make tiny golems to power the vehicle. When Ace gives you 700 horsepower, it means he has 700 tiny horse golems running the engine. Or Parson might figure out a way to imitate modern technology with magic.
Lamech

Postby 0beron » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:31 pm

That reference must refer to standard boats, which we can then infer are treated like units and thus popped by cities, much like Siege Engines. Vehicles on the other hand are stated to be items, and we've never heard of items having levels.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions