Book 2 – Epilogue 03 – Ace on the Move

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Epilogue 03 – Ace on the Move

Postby fruityjanitor » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:06 am

"Ace Hardware could fix that."

Awwww yeah!! So glad Ace is still in the story. It's going to be interesting to see what happens when he and Cubbins cross paths in the future.
fruityjanitor
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:10 am

It's going to be especially interesting since unlike Ossomer, who only had a few moments of chatting with Sylvia (real convincing proselytizing, there :p ), Ace will get to chat with Parson & Jack and actually get some insight into how the hell things actually work in GK!
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Tonot » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:40 am

When he kills Cubbins, so Wanda can bring him Into the Fold, he will be able to console himself that it would actually be what Cubbins would want him to do, if Cubbins could only See the Truth. Sometimes you have to burn the Heretics at the Stake , to save their souls from ever lasting torment in the Hellfire, you understand.

It is a religious thing, don't try to reason it out, you must have Faith, if you are going to be Virtuous, this has always been The Truth.
Tonot

Postby Tonot » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:58 am

Tonot wrote:

bladestorm wrote:
youngstormlord wrote:"Ace Hardware could fix that." And all the fanbase went SQUEEEEE!

That's going to be a tag-line for many situations.

"The Chief Warlord looked lonely that night by the camp fire. Ace Hardware could fix that."

"Chief Parson seemed to think of only females for a certain kind of companionship. Ace Hardware could fix that."

"His Chief was filled with obvious passion and lust that was unreturned by the new warlady. Ace Hardware could fix that."

Very funny.

(Opps, edited to remove accidentally quoting myself and saying it was funny. )
Last edited by Tonot on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tonot

Postby M.A.D » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:48 am

Is it just me or Artemis' pleated skirt and boots makes her look like a school girl?
M.A.D

Postby Oberon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:29 am

No one in particular wrote:It's not stated explicitly that the uncroaked can level, but it sounds like Stanley assumes they can. Whether that's because they can or it's just Stanley being a dummkopf and forgetting the "uncroaked" part... *shrugs*
Meh, Wanda is right there for that exchange. And was trying hard to convince Stanley that Parson was indeed the perfect warlord. If Stanley was using false info to argue against Parson, Wanda would have spoken up.

Ace seems unconcerned that Parson is only L3. That's a change from the norm.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby BakaGrappler » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:15 am

The art really is starting to come together. Our man is getting the bodily proportions down better than they were in episode 1, and bodily positions are looking more natural. He's also making sure to remember Parson's double chin and giving him some more spots to lose weight with. Only note I'd like to make is that Artemis seems to have, well, Hermione Granger hair in update 3. A mop that is as untamed as the Canadian wilderness. I know giving definition to a character's outline is very tempting, and I would be the last to say you shouldn't put a personal touch to the characters now that they are under your care, but suggestion lines inside the hair itself showing layers would be closer to the original art on Artemis' locks would be closer to the original than having parts upturn and having a full body definition like a perm.

(Also not forgetting that this is, like, the second time our intrepid new artist has taken a whack at Artemis, and it's only practice that makes perfect.)

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -08-02.jpg

Two panels in this particular comic show Artemis' hair, one flowing with movement, and the other laying flat from inactivity. Artemis' hair seems more "conditioned" than "full body," which would probably make it easier for her to move through forests on a hunt. I recall the bible entry of Absolom, who grew out what was basically the worlds first afro and was killed because it got caught in a tree branch while he was fleeing so badly he was plucked from the back of his horse, and his enemies caught up and stabbed him before he could get himself down.

So, anyway, Hermione hair. :\

But I want ya to know, I'm enjoying your work. I am not missing the fact that every extra has a different nose, or that you are doing a great job with facial expressions. I'm loving your take on Ace, and the stabbers in the new update have a perfect blend of real and cuddly to them. Your art is very Erf-ian, and I wanna see a lot more of it.

Welcome to the family.
Hey, have you read Shadows of the Evergreen? It's my ErfFic. People say it's pretty good over here, and who am I to argue? Check it out, and then tell me what you think of my hack writing.
Last Updated: 6/16/14
BakaGrappler

Postby drachefly » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:56 am

Tonot wrote:When he kills Cubbins, so Wanda can bring him Into the Fold, he will be able to console himself that it would actually be what Cubbins would want him to do, if Cubbins could only See the Truth. Sometimes you have to burn the Heretics at the Stake , to save their souls from ever lasting torment in the Hellfire, you understand.

It is a religious thing, don't try to reason it out, you must have Faith, if you are going to be Virtuous, this has always been The Truth.

Well, in this case the Faith does have the benefit that the folks you whacked get up and thank you in person.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Chevalier » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:22 pm

Lilwik wrote:
No one in particular wrote:It may not be that The Wizard of Oz was inspired/reflected what was going on with Judy & Erfworld, but the reverse. In the same way that Parson sees all these references around him and creates his own (naming the streets after Simpsons, taking Ginger & MaryAnn on a "three hour tour", etc), it's possible that Judy had seen the Wizard of Oz and patterned her adventure on it.
Judy didn't choose her own adventure; she was summoned, but it could amount to the same thing. It seems likely that Judy was summoned because they wanted someone familiar with the situation they were facing, so they may have picked a person from a world where the Wizard of Oz story exists because it would help mentally prepare her for existence in Erfworld. They probably didn't do that deliberately; it was probably done by magic without the conscious awareness of the casters, since I find it hard to imagine any Erfworlder being sufficiently aware of Stupidworld, except perhaps Charlie.

I don't think that even Judy was aware of Stupidworld. Perhaps it was just from living in Erfworld for so long, but she seemed nothing like Parson. Judy didn't seem to be aware that she was filling in the role of a character from a story, so maybe she'd never heard of the Wizard of Oz and came from a world where it didn't exist. In that case, the whole similarity between the Wizard of Oz and the situation in el-Efbaum, Easteros, and Westeregg is all part of the reason why Parson was summoned, because he was already familiar with that history.

So I'm suggesting that the Summon Perfect Warlord spell had a vast number of possible worlds to choose from, and all of the similarities between Erfworld and Stupidworld are nothing more than the reason Stupidworld was chosen over all the other possibilities. The world that Judy came from was probably also similar to Erfworld in many ways, but perhaps in a more direct and natural way. Maybe Judy came from a world of hexes and sides and warlords and all the things that would make it easy for her to adapt to Erfworld. It wouldn't surprise me if the whole reason that Parson is only familiar with Erfworld in silly ways is that Parson was summoned by Wanda instead of a real Findamancer.

Agree and disagree. As I wrote in an earlier forum (Inner Peace ep. 66):
"I think she does know [all about Wizard of Oz], and that is precisely why she was called to Erfworld.

Consider: the reason Parson is called (other than Rob writing the comic about him) is that he has designed a game that is almost exactly like the Battle for Gobwin Knob. He is ideally suited (almost, anyway) to this particular role. So too would a Wizard of Oz-knowing, genre-savvy Judy be ideally suited to help defeat the witches: she has expertise in just this situation, and has a strong desire to leave her world. I think she was probably a huge fan of The Wizard of Oz, possibly because of her name and location (Kansas), and desperately wanted to visit Oz herself. Just like Parson, she wanted this to happen. She was so well-suited that she duplicated Dorothy's feat of killing one witch in the process of her arrival. After defeating the second witch, she probably began to feel a little less satisfied - until Maxwell made her the scarecrow, lion, and tin man (who "helped her become Ruler," according to Wanda). She was now fully living her dream - just like Dorothy, in the Emerald City, with her three friends. No wonder she didn't return to her world when she first tried to use that power of the Arkenshoes. After Maxwell died, and her friends faded back into constructs, I expect she needed the buds to keep up her Oz fantasy, but obviously that didn't quite work out, resulting in her ability to go home in the end.

Rereading the updates with/about Judy, I don't see any indication that she wasn't aware of the story she was re-enacting, but plenty of hints that she was."

To sum up: the spell chose Judy because of two key elements: she was extremely familiar with the Oz story (direct parallel to the local situation on Erf), and deeply wanted to leave her world and go to Oz, or a place like it. Also I think that her subsequent lack of success may have been due not only to the fading of the Oz-fantasy, but to her unsuitability _outside_ of the local situation (el-Efbaum and environs). Parson succeeds beyond Gobwin Knob (his initial local situation, which closely parallels the game he designed) because he's a gamer and naturally adapts to the larger setting. Judy was "perfect" for the situation at hand, but Parson is more "perfect" for Erfworld as a whole. Possibly the spell was revised for this casting...

And I'll add that Judy appears to be quite familiar with at least part of Stupidworld: "flat, muddy, pig-boop smellin' rural Kansas." And if that's _where_ she's from (we don't really know _when_ she's from, which could also be a factor here), I'm not surprised she's unfamiliar with other parts.
Chevalier

Postby Dinkum » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:58 pm

I think my biggest gripe with the epilogue posts is that they are too good. Exciting things and viewpoints are happening, which really puts into contrast how drawn out book 2 felt to me.
Dinkum

Postby the_tick_rules » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Hey that's right, Ace does make magical gear. He could buff Parson's gear couldn't he?
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:28 pm

the_tick_rules wrote:Hey that's right, Ace does make magical gear. He could buff Parson's gear couldn't he?

Parson's gear is the tip of the iceberg. I want to see what Parson has him build.

Tanks?
Clockwork soldiers armed with rifles?
Zeppelins?(everything is cooler with zeppelins)
Railroads? Possibly underground, using tunnels built by Sizemore
Predator-esque active camouflage?
Telegraph?
A tri mancer link with Sizemore to create the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man?!
Jabberwocky

Postby No one in particular » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:31 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:
the_tick_rules wrote:Hey that's right, Ace does make magical gear. He could buff Parson's gear couldn't he?

Parson's gear is the tip of the iceberg. I want to see what Parson has him build.

Mass produced mathamancer bracers! Flood the market with cheap knock-offs!
Soon, it'll be required gear for running a side... and Parson will be the only supplier, and will bankrupt everyone by charging through the nose!

Economic warfare! Mwa ha ha ha!!!
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby 0beron » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:40 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:Railroads? Possibly underground, using tunnels built by Sizemore

AWESOME. Unfortunately they'd need to get their hands on Vanna for this, since self-propelled vehicles are Turnamancy territory.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Mikalyaran » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:19 pm

0beron wrote:
Jabberwocky wrote:Railroads? Possibly underground, using tunnels built by Sizemore

AWESOME. Unfortunately they'd need to get their hands on Vanna for this, since self-propelled vehicles are Turnamancy territory.

Or hire any other Turnamancer in the magic kingdom.
Mikalyaran
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby mortissimus » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:26 pm

Mikalyaran wrote:
0beron wrote:

Or hire any other Turnamancer in the magic kingdom.

If I recall correctly, MK casters were not too interested in dealing with GK in book 2. I don't think their chances to hire casters has gone up with the personal guard move.
mortissimus

Postby 0beron » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Yeah, I don't think GK is gonna be having much luck with MK employment in the future. Also such a complex vehicle might require a Link with Ace, and I highly doubt MK casters would participate in a Link even under the best of circumstances.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Venthus » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:15 pm

mortissimus wrote:If I recall correctly, MK casters were not too interested in dealing with GK in book 2. I don't think their chances to hire casters has gone up with the personal guard move.

Could probably find a few casters interested in allying with the next great superpower... especially when they're the only one with a coordinated fighting force in the neighborhood. They might be able to get a contract saying they won't be decrypted if they fall in battle, or, alternatively, they specifically will be decrypted, depending on how they feel about the matter.
Venthus

Postby Tonot » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:28 pm

Zeku wrote:There are at least 4 worlds here, and at least 3 descriptions of worlds here:

1-This comic, a subset of our reality. This comic does not exist, since it is simply a complex series of descriptors within our reality.
2-The Wizard of Oz movie, which includes a fictional version of Kansas that is not actually our reality. Like the comic, this is a subset of our reality, and does not exist except as a group of complex descriptions.
3-The Wizard of Oz movie that Parson knows about, which obviously appeared in Stupidworld at some point. This is a series of descriptors within Stupidworld.

4-The "actual" Land of Oz. This world's "value" with respect to our own is unknown.
5-The "actual" Erfworld. ditto
6-The "actual" Stupidworld, which Parson originates from. ditto
7-Our reality, which is not the same as Stupidworld.

Agreed . . . but I am of the sneaking suspicion you were the sort of kid who refused to clap for Tinkerbell "Because she is just a story" and that makes me sad to think. :P

Jabberwocky wrote:

Tanks?
Clockwork soldiers armed with rifles?
Zeppelins?(everything is cooler with zeppelins)
Railroads? Possibly underground, using tunnels built by Sizemore
Predator-esque active camouflage?
Telegraph?
A tri mancer link with Sizemore to create the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man?!

Titans. Not the actual ones, but magically convincing facsimiles, maybe metal-golem armatures with cloth golem surfaces and all of it "glamourized" with magic so, to look upon them is as to look upon the very Titans of Legend.

Let's see what that does to the morale of the Royal coalition.
Tonot

Postby youngstormlord » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:32 pm

How about huge Heavy Metal Golems that are covered in cloth and made to look like Dire Bears? Your enemy thinks that he could set them on fire or tear them into pieces but he is in for a nasty surprise... (P. S. Check my signature :) .)
Don't click on this link, you might feel cheated if you do.
Hint:
Spoiler: show
It's my fanfiction. :)

My erf PC game (first test version): Jack Attack Update: Gone after fall of megaupload. Update2: Uploaded again on another hosting. Give it a go.
youngstormlord
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions