Book 2 – Epilogue 05 – At the Temple

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Epilogue 05 – At the Temple

Postby GWvsJohn » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:04 am

NYbear wrote:
GWvsJohn wrote:Out of this entire update, I am, by far, the most excited by the Shredder style bracer on Parson's right arm.

Heh, he's been wearing it since he got suited up in the armory of GK.
http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/?px=%2F2010-10-19.jpg

Hadn't noticed. Such a cool item should be front and center :)
GWvsJohn

Postby arin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:10 am

ThisIsNotDan wrote:I don't get a single real-world reference for the half-dozen thinkamancers on the front steps of the temple. Anyone have any ideas?

Well, the kid in the front wearing the winter gear is Diego, which just makes me wonder what kind of caster Dora is going to be. :) I suppose that could be her in the pink dress behind him, but I don't think so.

The guy with the pipe is either J. Edgar Hoover (although I'm sad not to see him in drag, hah!) or Richard Nixon. Or I suppose he could be any generic high level US spy/politician.

Xarx wrote: Then let me rephrase: It's the first time we've seen him use it intentionally, by subvocalizing an order.

I saw it as a bit of Stupidworld's version of Natural Thinkamancy, IE one of those parental "don't you dare" looks. Not everything has to be magic, y'know.
arin
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:46 am

arin wrote:
ThisIsNotDan wrote:I don't get a single real-world reference for the half-dozen thinkamancers on the front steps of the temple. Anyone have any ideas?

Well, the kid in the front wearing the winter gear is Diego, which just makes me wonder what kind of caster Dora is going to be. :) I suppose that could be her in the pink dress behind him, but I don't think so.

The guy with the pipe is either J. Edgar Hoover (although I'm sad not to see him in drag, hah!) or Richard Nixon. Or I suppose he could be any generic high level US spy/politician.

Xarx wrote: Then let me rephrase: It's the first time we've seen him use it intentionally, by subvocalizing an order.

I saw it as a bit of Stupidworld's version of Natural Thinkamancy, IE one of those parental "don't you dare" looks. Not everything has to be magic, y'know.

Sadly, we already had Dora. She was an explorer, Jetstone, constantly seen with Sir Webinar... and was croaked in the tunnels under GK, uncroaked and never decrypted.

The "don't say anything" glare might've just been a glare, but the "Maggie moved to follow [Isaac], but Parson stopped her in her tracks with a silent order." was probably commander-thinkamancy.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby No one in particular » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:53 am

Oh, also, I really doubt the guy with a suit & pipe is Hoover or Nixon.

Hoover had his hair slicked back not parted, and was a pretty beefy guy.
Nixon had a hell of a widow's peak, also not parted, and while slim enough, had jowls like a hound dog.

More to the point, neither of them had glasses, or was known for smoking a pipe.
---
No one in particular

Postby XenocideSoldier » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:24 pm

Oh yeah, Parson's starting to look Bad-A again, Dave is rapidly getting better.
“If a journey took place in the past, we can see its beginning, middle and end. From our privileged perspective here in the future, we see all. We see as the Titans do. But this is not our privilege while on a journey.”
XenocideSoldier

Postby bladestorm » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:35 pm

The update schedule I'd really like to see would be this format for the MWF schedule, then a Saturday update of either the wall of text update from an ongoing storyline, or a shorter storyline with full comic pages from Xin on whatever release schedule she can swing. Or if that's a bit too ambitious, run three story lines: one in the epilogue format on MW, a second in the text update format on fridays, and the third in comic format whenever it gets updated. That way we'd have a steady supply of munchy crunchiness to tide us over, and then we get a Xin comic out of nowhere for us to squee over. Maybe the Xin storyline can be a much shorter story covering what is happening in the MK while Parson wages his war elsewhere. I liked picking out the references for the casters from Xin's depictions.

And on that note, we have six new personalities to try to figure out. None of them immediately jump out at me, though.
bladestorm

Postby Morni » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:42 pm

the girl in the brown kaky and white shirt.. reminds of the Walking dead.. or another zombie apocalypse... but no character in mind really
Morni

Postby effataigus » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:56 pm

Gave the voice acted thingy a second chance. Still unsettling to have someone else interpreting the comic for me... though our interpretations disagreed far less often this time around.

Dante wrote:"I think a top-down insertion sort would be the most effective."
"That's what she said!"
Hahah... well played.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby drachefly » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:33 pm

Interesting how Isaac took the lead there - if I were the polling thinkamancer from last time, I would have taken the lead just to prevent him giving away the farm.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:17 pm

WarFAN wrote:I am truly eager to read Maggie's excuses for withholding critical information...
Maggie also leaked Parson's plan to the casters of the Magic Kingdom. Parson would have gotten through the Jetstone portal easily if Maggie hadn't done that, then Wanda would never have left Spacerock and Ossomer wouldn't have turned and the archons probably wouldn't have been lost. Maggie also cast a mind control spell on Stanley to make him overrule Parson's advice with a bad decision. She is a very troublesome Thinkamancer.

drachefly wrote:Interesting how Isaac took the lead there - if I were the polling thinkamancer from last time, I would have taken the lead just to prevent him giving away the farm.
The whole point of the group is that they think alike. I'm sure they all trust each other, and they can always be Thinkagramming while Isaac is talking with Parson, so Isaac's not going to do anything that goes against the Great Minds.
Lilwik

Postby IndyBart » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:39 pm

My vote for the guy with the pipe is Ward Cleaver from the Leave it to Beaver show....

IndyBart
IndyBart

Postby No one in particular » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:49 pm

Ward Cleaver didn't have glasses.

I'm going to go ahead and toss Ken Nordine back on the table. Seriously, compare: http://www.nndb.com/people/042/000098745/kenordine.jpg
---
No one in particular

Postby TheLiontamer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:39 pm

None of the references jump out at me either, but I feel if they were revealed to me it'd make me feel really dumb. They're all very specific, except maybe the sultan looking gentleman. Also the art seems to be improving a little, but only in areas that you look to first. The more I look over the images the more and more displeased I am. I feel as though we've been spoiled by style and detail in the past.

Also, good on Parson to keep his crew with him. Rule #1, DTA
TheLiontamer

Postby Aquillion » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:16 pm

ManaCaster wrote:Seems like there are significantly more Thinkamancers than any other type of caster. I suppose it is the most useful discipline.

It could just be that there are more in the Magic Kingdom, because their discipline is one that they can hire out without having to physically leave the MK or sign up with a side. Most other casters have to be physically present (or at least use a Thinkamancer to relay information.)

We've also seen that the MK has a lot of Predictamancers, probably for similar reasons, because you can support yourself selling predictions without leaving the MK -- and it has few Dirtamancers, because Dirtamancers can't make money unless they're actually out there building stuff.
Aquillion

Postby ManaCaster » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:56 pm

Aquillion wrote:We've also seen that the MK has a lot of Predictamancers, probably for similar reasons, because you can support yourself selling predictions without leaving the MK...

We've seen or heard about 9 Predictamancers and 24+ Thinkamancers, so things are still leaning heavily towards Thinkamancy.

Aquillion wrote:...and it has few Dirtamancers, because Dirtamancers can't make money unless they're actually out there building stuff.

Actually, the Magic Kingdom has very heavy demand for Dirtamancers because they don't have any city sites, but there is comparatively little demand outside the Magic Kingdom. And notably, Dirtamancers are said to be very rare, so this really makes the opposite point.
ManaCaster

Postby Shai_hulud » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:42 pm

Maybe the guy with the pipe is "Dobbs"? Doesn't wear glasses though.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby mortissimus » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:46 am

ManaCaster wrote:
Aquillion wrote:...and it has few Dirtamancers, because Dirtamancers can't make money unless they're actually out there building stuff.

Actually, the Magic Kingdom has very heavy demand for Dirtamancers because they don't have any city sites, but there is comparatively little demand outside the Magic Kingdom. And notably, Dirtamancers are said to be very rare, so this really makes the opposite point.

LIAB Text 1:
Dirtamancy was among the most rare and useful disciplines here

My interpretation is that they rarely get to the MK. Could be because they are rarely popped, or could be because their duties (city improvements, golem creation) keeps them away from the capital and its portal. Or both.
mortissimus

Postby programancer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:59 am

So far, I watched/listened to all the epilogue videos first, and read the text + illustrations second, and I generally like the voice acting, but I feel it could be improved. I have some suggestions to the voice actor based on this (fifth) epilogue video:

You clearly know how to read and emphasize (i.e. use stressing and such) text without error, no stumbling, no loud breathing, etc, which is good, but I think you could use some more "acting". It doesn't feel natural or relaxed enough to me, and there is little to no variation in speed, especially when switching between characters, and the end result kind of melts into a one breath piece because of this. I think I would enjoy the voice acting more if the in-character conversations sounded a little more like natural conversation, and if the narrator's tone and pace were more clearly different than that of the in-character voices.

But then again, I'm no professional voice actor, and maybe I'm just not used to this voice acting style, or maybe it's the fact that everything is voiced by one person, I'm not sure. I'll listen to some audio books later and try to figure out what the differences are, and state what bothers me more precisely.
programancer
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Xarx » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:20 am

Hey, where are all the foolamancers? And lookamancers? There are 8 segments in the MK, presumably one for each class. Which means this must be the eyemancers' section, not just the thinkamancers'. Probably each discipline has its own special site within the segment, but you'd think we would have at least seen a few individuals on the way.

The mind boggles trying to imagine what the foolamancers' headquarters looks like.
Xarx

Postby drachefly » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:44 am

What it looks like? It doesn't!
drachefly

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions