Voiceover Feedback Thread!

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Voiceover Feedback Thread!

Postby Lt. Cmdr. Chuvox » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Hello all! A quick announcement about who I am and what I do:

My name's Arthur Chu, I'm 29 years old and I live in the Cleveland area -- just moved here this year. Married, two cats, no kids, professional voiceover artist.

By "professional" I mean that I do get paid to perform voiceovers. I don't mean that I get paid enough to perform voiceovers to support myself in lieu of any other job, though I'm hoping to get there eventually. I do have a day job in the insurance industry, and I try to keep that separate from my VO endeavors as much as possible (aside from posting things like this from my work computer when I get a spare moment).

You probably haven't heard anything I've done unless you listen to a LOT of radio commercials and have lived in the Pacific Northwest or the DC area in the past five years or so. Commercials typically aren't glamorous but for a VO guy they're the most consistent way to make money and the easiest way to "break in". Erfworld.com is my first regular paying gig doing something VO-related that I actually consider creative and fun, and to be able to actually get paid for a geeky project I love is a rare thing in today's world, and an opportunity I'm very grateful to Rob for.

The whole point for me of doing this is to do the best job I can and to sharpen my skills for the next audition that comes down the pike, so I'd love to hear your feedback, thoughts, compliments, criticisms, etc. And hey, if you have a project of your own or know someone who does and you think based on what I've done here I'd be a good fit, I'd love to hear about it! I know there've already been some comments in the post-by-post Reactions threads, but I thought we could benefit from having a centralized place for reactions to my voiceovers specifically.

A few caveats:

- Don't ask me for spoilers and don't ask me to explain things. I've been an Erfworld fan since the strip started running but glancing over the wiki and these forums tells me I'm not nearly as steeped in Erflore as some of you guys; I'm probably a worse source on the comic itself than many of the regular posters here. I have very limited "inside" knowledge of the comic -- generally my inside knowledge consists of seeing the new updates a bit earlier than you to give me time to read them. Rob and I don't discuss the writing of the comic at all, and reactions to the plot/characterization/artwork/anything non-performance-related should go in the individual threads.
- Most big decisions are not my call. Rob's word is law on Erfworld matters. The biggest challenge for me so far has been, as a fan, subordinating my own personal sense of what the world and the characters sound like in my head to his artistic vision, which comes first. I take full responsibility for any shortcomings in my performances and for the learning curve of me getting used to the format and getting used to the characters, but the large-scale directorial choices are Rob's, not mine, and my ethos about the chain-of-command with such things is very strong. I'm sure Rob welcomes feedback about the overall choices made with the new update format -- or the choice to have the new update format at all -- but there are other threads in which that can be discussed.
- Be nice. If you can't tell, the reason for the first two caveats is that I have some experience with feedback threads in fannish circles. I definitely want as much constructive criticism as you can bring to the table, and I definitely support the view that paid labor (as I am) should be held to a higher standard than volunteer labor. But at the end of the day I'm also a fan who's doing this mostly for love, not because it pays my bills and certainly not for the fast cars and big house. If you have criticisms of me, Rob or anyone else, please phrase them as helpfully and politely as you can.

From what I've seen of these forums you all are good eggs and I don't anticipate problems, but I thought it was good to have those up front just in case. With all that said, bring on the comments! *puts on +3 Professional Armor of Thick Skin*
My VO website
My VO blog
My Facebook page
Follow me on Twitter as @arthur_affect
Lt. Cmdr. Chuvox

Re: Voiceover Feedback Thread!

Postby Lt. Cmdr. Chuvox » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:13 pm

Also, the profile pic is in fact me, performing in the Cleveland Shakespeare Festival this summer. I like to think it's also an image of me as a high-level Foolamancer with a focus on aural illusions.
My VO website
My VO blog
My Facebook page
Follow me on Twitter as @arthur_affect
Lt. Cmdr. Chuvox

Re: Voiceover Feedback Thread!

Postby Finn MacCool » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:35 pm

well, there's a whole lot of bits that i'd stress differently, but since it's apparently all Rob-approved...

now, as for other projects, SatW is looking for (a lot of) voice actors.
Finn MacCool

Return to Reactions