Epilogue 09 – Parson's Notes 01

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Epilogue 09 – Parson's Notes 01

Postby the_tick_rules » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:43 pm

sanjmerchant wrote:Parson's handwriting is TERRIBLE!

Anyone care to post a transcript?

I agree.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby technojunkie » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:57 pm

I would expect nothing less. Even people with the best penmanship can't just go from using a ball point pen to using a quill and inkwell. It's sad that this is lost on most readers. I appreciate the touch, like almost anything else in this comic, Rob's subtlety is showing through. I don't tend to get all of the pop culture or meme references; so I appreciate this nod to 'the old guys' as it were.
technojunkie
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:58 pm

the_tick_rules wrote:

Anyone care to post a transcript?

I agree.

*rolls his eyes, makes a point to get the wiki updated soon*

Since, you know, everything is transcribed on there as a matter of course.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Lilwik » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:12 am

technojunkie wrote:Even people with the best penmanship can't just go from using a ball point pen to using a quill and inkwell.
I hadn't noticed until now that he is using an inkwell. Surely a magic item could be arranged for writing, but it's not obvious which discipline would make it. Signamancy is my best guess for making magical pens.
Lilwik

Postby Tonot » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:21 am

lol. Very good.
Tonot

Postby woort » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:23 am

Tonot wrote:Like most people born before 1980, I had not the least problem reading the script, just read it at the same speed I would read print. It wasn't Copper Plate, by any means, but entirely legible.

The problem with the modern young, is you have your hands held, and no one expects anything from you. The world did not start when your eyes opened, some things need practice, and are worth practicing.

Another possibility is that we've been practicing different skills, like using a computer, rather than penmanship or chiseling characters into a stone tablet.
(fwiw i was born in 86 and found it slightly difficult but not too bad. I've read much worse)
woort

Postby Konaa » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:47 am

A mere child born in '93 here - just had to strain the eyes a bit. I thought I'd misread the intelligence shorthands, but it turns out I just didn't know the words.

You gotta love how Parson draws out Hamstard on his super top secret documents.

I hadn't thought of Translvyito's rivals joining in on GK's side, but it would definitely make sense from their point of view. Haggar might have a role to play as well - there are a LOT of things Parson can do right from the start of this situation, so I'm really looking forward to see what crazy idea he comes up with next.
You didn't wish for this world, Parson Gotti. It wished for you.
Konaa

Postby No one in particular » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:53 am

Oh man! Oh man oh man oh man!

THAT WILL BE THE ENCRYPTION!

The arkendish only lets Charlie hack the text portions of the eye-books! Images don't carry over, so from here on out, all of Parson's notes will be lectures from Hamstard!

Yessss!
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Tonot » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:28 am

woort wrote:
Tonot wrote:Like most people born before 1980, I had not the least problem reading the script, just read it at the same speed I would read print. It wasn't Copper Plate, by any means, but entirely legible.

The problem with the modern young, is you have your hands held, and no one expects anything from you. The world did not start when your eyes opened, some things need practice, and are worth practicing.

Another possibility is that we've been practicing different skills, like using a computer, rather than penmanship or chiseling characters into a stone tablet.
(fwiw i was born in 86 and found it slightly difficult but not too bad. I've read much worse)

Yeah, reading what I wrote over, it seems just a very little bit too brusque and dismissive, and I didn't really mean it to be quite so much so. To be fair about it, I will just point out that my generation also "benefitted" from drastically relaxed education standards. We had to learn cursive script, but just about the time I was started on it, actual Copper Plate was taken out of the curriculum as too difficult.

However, just because you have learnt to use the computer en masse isn't some sort of calculation of resources expended that means you have none left over to learn the excellence that is hand writing. My generation learnt cursive and type writing after all.

If only for its discipline and motor skill honing, I would think cursive has a place. It won't come back for the general population though, which is sad.

Just like learning a second language has come back because of its inarguable worth, maybe one day cursive will come back too, as a fine motor skill discipline for children.
Tonot

Postby Lipkin » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:37 am

Am I the only one who thought the second Hamstard kinda looked like a ball sack? I can't have been.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby zilfallon » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:47 am

Lipkin wrote:Am I the only one who thought the second Hamstard kinda looked like a ball sack? I can't have been.

Cannot be unseen...
rkyeun wrote:Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Postby Beeskee » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:35 am

Lipkin wrote:Am I the only one who thought the second Hamstard kinda looked like a ball sack? I can't have been.

I was too distracted by the buttsecks to notice the inadvertent genitalia.

*ahem*

To utterly destroy the age thingy, I'm ~35 and I found it a little difficult to read at first. Mostly it was immersion breaking, I've been used to the cleaner text. But then I realized that is part of the magic of the eyebooks, and what we are seeing is meant to represent what Parson sees. Parson types into the eyebooks, so we see neat writing, but he writes with a quill pen onto the loose note pages. Better than I would, most likely.

I'd still like actual text included below the comics, for readability and also Google searches. Text in images can't be easily searched. (yet?)
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby warriortribble » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:49 am

If I could make one small request, I think it'll be nice if "tricks" (last word all the way at the bottom), could have the horizontal slash on the "t" shortened a smidge so the dot over the "i" would be more visible. I kept reading that word as "tucks" which was confusing to say the least.

Tonot wrote:If only for its discipline and motor skill honing, I would think cursive has a place. It won't come back for the general population though, which is sad.

I'd rather they teach braille. But then, I was the kid who read books under his covers cause his parents didn't want him staying up too late. Would've been alot easier on the eyes if I could read with w/o the flashlight.
warriortribble
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Slicer » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:14 am

I actually found the writing surprisingly (and perhaps out of character) easy to read. I'd have expected Parson to print everything. Why would cursive come naturally to him?
Slicer

Postby multilis » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:20 am

On the handwriting... may be generational issue.

I had no problem with it, but newer generation of people grow up with computers and calculators/spreadsheets everywhere, and cursive handwriting and math by hand may not really exist for them. Word processor and internet and spell checker rather than skills with pen and paper...

"Why would cursive come naturally to him?" Cursive is *faster* pen and paper system, that is why it used to be popular. Downside is harder to read, especially when fonts on computer screens and written books become what our brains are used to.

We have more focus now on other skills such as speed with various Query keyboards, rather than extra little bit of speed from not having to lift and lower a pen. People use computers, phones, tablets, etc more than pen and paper these days.
Last edited by multilis on Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
multilis

Postby Tonot » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:22 am

Slicer wrote:I actually found the writing surprisingly (and perhaps out of character) easy to read. I'd have expected Parson to print everything. Why would cursive come naturally to him?

Why wouldn't it?. Does he seem like a lazy weakling to you?. ;)
Tonot

Postby Klear » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:34 am

Re - cursive disappearing: Maybe it's just an american thing that it's disappearing? Here in Czech Republic they developed a new version for schoolchildren very recently, so it seems it is here to stay...
Klear

Postby programancer » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:54 am

Imagine Parson reading his notes aloud to the Tool:
Parson: "Intelligence: we lack it."
Tool: "DID YOU JUST CALL ME DUMB?!"

I live in a, ummm, how you say it nicely, 'less-developed' country, to which the effects of globalization come with a 20 year delay, which means that one still gets to read and write cursive on a day-to-day basis. Newsflash for first-world people: You are not alone on this planet :) . Also, kudos to Parson for managing to write without inkblots. I've never written with a quill and inkwell, but I kinda expected some blatant BLOT and SMUDGE in the middle of sentences :) .

By the way, would native Erfworlders say 'Erfapolitics' instead of 'Geopolitics'?
Last edited by programancer on Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
programancer
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Tathar » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:55 am

It certainly wasn't disappearing in the States during my schooling. I'm 24 and if I'm not writing in cursive, I have to think to remember how the letters go because I print so infrequently. With cursive, I just know.
Beeskee wrote:I was reluctant to assume Charlie was the Wizard, since it seems like if a butterfly farts in an unmapped hex, we're all ready to assume it's somehow part of Charlie's grand schemes to control the wind or whatever.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Oberon » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:57 am

I, like Tonot, had no issues reading Parson's writing. Well, I did have to look at 'battle' a few times to figure it out. But the context was clear. And I'm in a technical field, so the 'sigint' and 'humint' references were easy to read. I suspect that if you aren't familiar with a word and if it is written in a format you are not familiar with, such as cursive in our modern times of computer text, that comprehending the word is much more difficult.
sanjmerchant wrote:Although [Parson] does deserve props for using cursive. Titans know I've all but forgotten and the occasional attempts I've made just give me hand cramps. But then I always had abysmal handwriting and basically typed everything I was allowed to, as far back in 3rd grade.
The only thing I write in cursive is my signature. I usually blame my poor handwriting on the fact that I'm a left handed person taught to write by right handed people. But I know that isn't fair. My father is also left handed and has excellent handwriting. But then again, he was beaten by nuns as a child. Perhaps my poor handwriting is due to the fact that I was not beaten by nuns as a child. Which is an off-hand way of saying that there are benefits to being beaten as a child.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions