Epilogue 09 – Parson's Notes 01

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Epilogue 09 – Parson's Notes 01

Postby mortissimus » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:21 am

programancer wrote:Also, kudos to Parson for managing to write without inkblots. I've never written with a quill and inkwell, but I kinda expected some blatant BLOT and SMUDGE in the middle of sentences :) .

My guess is that quill and inkwell are a bit magical so that rather then distributing ink on the paper, it just works. Otherwise Parson would probably have had to instruct trolls on how to create it, like the toiletpaper.

So, no smudges. :)

Edit: I spelt quill with a q the whole time. Nothing to see here, move along.
Last edited by mortissimus on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
mortissimus

Postby Whispri » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:28 am

No one in particular wrote:So far, we've seen GK, the fallen Goodminton, Charlescomm (sort of) and a few other brief mentions of Non-Royals. EVERY part of the RCC is Royal. It's right there in the R! I look forward to seeing how the other sides live.

Actually there was mention of a non-royal Side in the RCC II, a regency named... Hyatt I think.

Radagast wrote:To the posters above... I'm not sure it's really possible to further upgrade Spacerock beyond what it already was... but they certainly need to spend some cash to rebuild it. They have some defenses - what, around 200 decrypted + casters + red dwagons + any decrypted dwagons.

Well the tower was destroyed, that may have dropped the City down a level, leaving upgrades a possibility.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:41 am

You know, if there weren't an alliance of sides out to croak Parson, he could probably make a lot of very good business for himself. With a troop of Twolls, he could make a decent living selling office supplies.

Ok, so maybe not just office supplies, but I'm betting he could invent ball point pens and have twolls produce them. Same with a ton of other mundane items from Stupid World. Obviously he also has Ace to create the fantasy items like Lightsabers, Iron Man armor, and Transformers. If so many people didn't want his head, he could be like A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. I imagine the items Parson is capable of "inventing" would be universally useful.

It could be really good PR to start freely sharing inventions, like toilet paper, that have no strategic application beyond improving quality of life.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Oliolli » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:46 am

No one in particular wrote:So far, we've seen GK, the fallen Goodminton, Charlescomm (sort of) and a few other brief mentions of Non-Royals. EVERY part of the RCC is Royal. It's right there in the R! I look forward to seeing how the other sides live.

I wouldn't call Haffaton's presence in Book 0 "brief".
Oliolli

Postby LordAcme » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:11 am

Great update. I do like the planning interludes. And Hamstard lives! Should have known, sepia is his natural state anyways.
LordAcme
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Zeku » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:27 am

I don't understand, his handwriting looks really good to me. In fact, its better than my own.

The emotional reaction to it says even more about you than your inability to easily read it.
Zeku

Postby Whispri » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:26 am

Oliolli wrote:

I wouldn't call Haffaton's presence in Book 0 "brief".

Well back in Book Zero, the only Sides confirmed as Royal are Faq, Translyvito and the presumably destroyed Nolens Volens(a Prince of that side rests in Wanda's garden). The rest of the time it's either Overlords or 'Rulers'. I wouldn't be surprised if this whole Royal supremacy thing turns out to be a relatively recent heresy that's spread out of control.

Still, in the Future Era it's just Gobwin Knob and Charlie. They should try encouraging the overthrow of the incompetent King of Transylvito by his Chief Warlord. Maybe establish a small new domain under Wanda like Transylvito did with Gillian. Talk to the Hyatt regency. Beyond that, we don't know of any non-Royal Sides.
Whispri

Postby M.A.D » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:02 am

I couldn't read all of what Parson wrote down, but considering that he's using a quill pen, I think his handwriting is good enough. Wonder if the page was drawn using an actual quill pen, though? By the way, I was taught to write in cursive in elementary school, but I got used to writing in prints later on so now I'm sort of combining both. It doesn't help when my handwriting sucks
M.A.D

Postby CorrTerek » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:39 pm

Zeku wrote:I don't understand, his handwriting looks really good to me. In fact, its better than my own.

The emotional reaction to it says even more about you than your inability to easily read it.

I would think comments like this don't help the situation any.

I can think of a number of situations where people would have trouble reading this that don't involve "durn kids don't got no education no more". Perhaps not having English as a first language, for one? People with reading disabilities, etc. A transcript would probably be really helpful. Keep the text in the pictures as it is, just provide the transcript below. Several other webcomics do it.
CorrTerek

Postby ManaCaster » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:41 pm

programancer wrote:By the way, would native Erfworlders say 'Erfapolitics' instead of 'Geopolitics'?

In our world, Dirtamancy would probably be called Geomancy, so, maybe "Dirtapolitics"?. Doesn't really sound humorous though, so how about "Dirtypolitics"?
ManaCaster

Postby teratorn » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:56 pm

I agree it's a rather good handwriting. «Darn kids are rude and got no education» is exactly the thing that came to my mind and nothing will make me change my opinion.

Back to Erf, now I understand why Jetstone wasn't worried about losing the capital, they had no significant treasury. Losing the capital means reseting the treasury even if you have an available replacement.
teratorn

Postby Castamir » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:04 pm

So now we know Parson studied medicine.
Castamir

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:15 pm

Enigma Machines + Hat Network!

Thinkamancer + Mathamancer + Dollamancer built Enigma Machines! Have fun cracking that, Charlie.
Jabberwocky

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:40 pm

teratorn wrote:«Darn kids are rude and got no education»

Meh. I can read C++, COBOL and others like a man reads a newspaper. Having problems with Parson's penmanship doesn't mean I'm uneducated.
Jabberwocky

Postby Cloud » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:06 pm

To be fair I actually really liked the style of the update, and when I saw it I immediately imagined parchment, ink, and quill without taking a close look of the image with Parson.

That being said, I did have problems reading the update at points, which had nothing to do with age or education and a lot to with mild dyslexia. I can only imagine that if English wasn't your first language this would be even harder to read (somewhat related, I was convinced I was reading sigint and humint wrong as I wasn't aware of these terms until today). I'd be more than happy to see this style of update again, but as was gratefully provided by other members, a transcript for the future would be wonderful.
Cloud
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby slb » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:18 pm

Wouldn't the treasury issue easily be solved by The Tool converting all of it in huge gems safely stored at Gobwin Knob until the capital is safe ?
slb
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby teratorn » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:21 pm

slb wrote:Wouldn't the treasury issue easily be solved by The Tool converting all of it in huge gems safely stored at Gobwin Knob until the capital is safe ?

Wouldn't they need to hire a moneymancer from the MK?
teratorn

Postby mortissimus » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:09 pm

teratorn wrote:
slb wrote:Wouldn't the treasury issue easily be solved by The Tool converting all of it in huge gems safely stored at Gobwin Knob until the capital is safe ?

Wouldn't they need to hire a moneymancer from the MK?

And that moneymancer would arrive through the portal in the current capital. Though then they could be moved to Parson in the MK for safekeeping.

Anyway, it confirms that a good micro-managing player should never convert more gems then needed into the treasury. Gems are more versatile and can at no cost become treasury while the opposite is not true. And Sizemore digged up a ton of gems at the end of book 1. Pity GK is not run by a good player :)
mortissimus

Postby Lilwik » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:19 pm

teratorn wrote:Wouldn't they need to hire a moneymancer from the MK?
We know a caster is required from Book 2, Klog 1. Wanda might be able to do it. I'm pretty sure that it's a Moneymancy spell, but any caster might know a little Moneymancy. Even if a MK caster is required, I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem if the caster is allowed to keep some of the gems. Naturally doing that should only be possible in Spacerock, but I wonder if Stanley being in Spacerock would also be necessary for it to work. We know that Parson can spend shmuckers on some things, but draining the entire treasury into gems might be beyond the powers of a chief warlord. It certainly seems like the kind of thing most rulers wouldn't want their chief warlord doing.
Lilwik

Postby Tonot » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:47 pm

Oberon wrote: Which is an off-hand way of saying that there are benefits to being beaten as a child.

Ah, the moral force of being handed a pair of clippers, and sent down to the very bottom of the garden to cut a switch, when you are guilty of crime. :lol: It was a very effective way of making the lesson stick in the kids head. The whole way down the path, and back, you are thinking over your fault and bitterly regretting its commission.
What is the punishment now?. Being sent to your room. Have you seen the average kids room these days?. The Spacy Parlours from my childhood would look barren in comparison to the average kids room these days.

Whispri wrote:Actually there was mention of a non-royal Side in the RCC II, a regency named... Hyatt I think.

Regency means "The office or period of government by a regent". A Regent is "A person appointed to administer a country because the monarch is a minor or is absent or incapacitated". So, still a Royal side.
Zeku wrote:I don't understand, his handwriting looks really good to me. In fact, its better than my own.

I certainly agree.
People saying they can read other languages, and yet admitting they can't spend the few weeks effort it takes to learn to use elegant handwriting, are really not saying that they are educated. They are saying, at the very least, they are limited in their endeavour.
It isn't difficult, they teach children to do it. :lol:
However, those same children, now, can't do math without a machine, and can't write our beautiful languages correctly without spellchecking.
It ENTIRELY comes down to laziness and lack of determination, which can be taught, and learnt, like any other human skill. Computers and Television have taught our little dears to be lazy, just like playing British Bulldog and Rugby taught my generation to be tough.
Castamir wrote:So now we know Parson studied medicine.

Very good. Of course, the half of the people won't get it, which is sort of unfair too.
Tonot

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions