Summer Updates - 047

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 047

Postby the_tick_rules » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:50 pm

So Caesar is giving it to bunny. They probably go at it like... well you guess. Well this was bound to happen. The RCC's enemies beside Stanley were bound to take advantage.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:53 pm

Pindanin wrote:Popping a Royal heir makes sense.
If you are going to use your best warlord especially against something unstoppable you want to pop a replacement for him.

"A long lost heir to the Almohad line has gathered followers and is occupying Granada". Gawd, I hated those pop-ups in Medieval: Total War. Here you have it, a side completely obliterated and then, out of the blue, a royal pops back on the map with 2000 rather good units considering they were supposedly drawn from peasantry. Very, very annoying.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Moik » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:55 pm

It looks like a few people have already been posing the theory, so I'll just re-phrase it my way in support for the concept:

Caesar seems to have went to Chocula of his own will in counter-attack to an opportunistic invasion by the Carpudlians. I don't believe the Don made arrangements with Carpool to set up and eliminate Caesar. The Don would likely know when he's lost his Chief Warlord or not, and would have made the decision to pop an Heir with the Heir Designate alive. The Don likely decided to start popping an Heir since he almost lost his Heir Designate. You likely can't have multiple Heir Designates. That would just cause internal strike. Though, so would having an Heir and an Heir Designate.
Moik

Postby spectralphoenix » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:14 pm

Moik wrote:It looks like a few people have already been posing the theory, so I'll just re-phrase it my way in support for the concept:

Caesar seems to have went to Chocula of his own will in counter-attack to an opportunistic invasion by the Carpudlians.

From today's update: "When Don ordered us in,"

And what did the Don order him into? A situation very similar to the last trap that killed off two warlords.

I think Caesar's on to something here (and the news he got in the morning was probably the result of build orders issued the day before.)

I really don't think Caesar's underestimating the threat of the decrypted. I mean, it's really hard not to understand the threat of a gigantic horde of self-replicating undead. Rather, I think his problem is with Jillian and spending lots of resources starting her side while they fight two wars. He also probably wants to deal with the Carpudians before overextending against GK (and he has a point, he's a genius warlord and just barely hanging on. They can't fight GK if Carpool takes their cities.)
spectralphoenix

Postby Glenn » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:29 pm

You can't attack Faq except by air or through tunnels. Which means that it's a lot easier to defend Faq against Wanda's giant army than it is to defend Transylvito. Don can see that where Caesar can't because Don understands this War is about an issue that bigger than any one country.
Glenn

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:32 pm

spectralphoenix wrote:Rather, I think his problem is with Jillian and spending lots of resources starting her side while they fight two wars. He also probably wants to deal with the Carpudians before overextending against GK (and he has a point, he's a genius warlord and just barely hanging on. They can't fight GK if Carpool takes their cities.)

I'm guessing that Don King is counting on being able to overcome GK decisively with the new alliance. Once the alliance defeats GK, odds are good that he'd be able to enlist some help to drive the Carpudians back.

Right now, he's setting up a new royal side, and passing funds to them so that they can keep their production queues full - popping royals, most importantly. Royals must be the best individual units available, stat- and potential-wise. Look how much damage Ansom did unaided.

If TV and Faq can build up an air force sufficiently large, he must believe that he can fly in and take GK. However, he almost certainly isn't factoring in how rapidly Stanley is restoring the Dwagon air force.
MarbitChow

Postby sheepfly » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:47 pm

This update is definitely more fodder for the "Love is a Battlefield" themes of... well, love and battle.

The Caesar/Bunny situation may serve as a cautionary tale about getting between a king and his thinkamancer. Something (like an affair with his obligate confidante) that a realist like Don King might look the other way about in times of relative peace... well, that might be an excuse for demotion or a set up with the Carpudlians in times of war.

That said, the whole notion of betrayal against one's units (if one is king) or against one's king (if one is a warlord) seems kind of silly given what we learned about natural thinkamancy, loyalty, and disbanding in Book 1. As others have pointed out, Don King should be able to end Caesar with a thought, as Stanley has claimed he could with Parson. We have also learned (too lazy to find the exact pages) that if a unit refuses orders without loyal justification or attempts to kill its king/overlord, it will spontaneously disband. But in that context, how could Don King's deceased prince have made a play for the throne?

Don King might use the enemies of Transylvito to try to off his chief warlord/heir in a way that wouldn't raise suspicion, but he doesn't have to. Caesar, on the other hand, if he were to turn on Don King and try to end Don King's life before the new royal heir is popped, would have to do exactly what Wanda did: invite the enemy in, give them intelligence on their targets, and (as warlord and lover of the king's thinkamancer) he could do even better by ordering defensive units away from their posts and give the enemy easier access to the king. Caesar, as heir, would also wind up in a better position as a result of regicide: he would (like Stanley) merely have to reclaim the capital and would immediately have a new Transylvito at his command.

So, in the end, this update ultimately seems like a setup for another powerplay in Transylvito in the turns leading up to the royal heir popping, possibly with Stanley playing the role (once again) of the tool who offs the king and makes the heir designate a barbarian capable of reclaiming the capital. But then, Don King might foresee this... and it all could be an elaborate set up to "whack Stanley". Will be fun to watch, regardless.
What would YOU say if you'd won with strength and duty and honor every time when suddenly a veiled flying zero-upkeep 100% recycled army of former friends showed up to croak you with massive numbers and bonuses and skulls with little pink flowers?

Yeah..
sheepfly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Carlan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:56 pm

sheepfly wrote:That said, the whole notion of betrayal against one's units (if one is king) or against one's king (if one is a warlord) seems kind of silly given what we learned about natural thinkamancy, loyalty, and disbanding in Book 1. As others have pointed out, Don King should be able to end Caesar with a thought, as Stanley has claimed he could with Parson. We have also learned (too lazy to find the exact pages) that if a unit refuses orders without loyal justification or attempts to kill its king/overlord, it will spontaneously disband. But in that context, how could Don King's deceased prince have made a play for the throne?

Natural allies is one way we already know of. The Gobwins took out Saline without Stanley being disbanded.
Carlan

Postby Furousha » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:14 pm

sheepfly wrote:
So, in the end, this update ultimately seems like a setup for another powerplay in Transylvito in the turns leading up to the royal heir popping, possibly with Stanley playing the role (once again) of the tool who offs the king and makes the heir designate a barbarian capable of reclaiming the capital. But then, Don King might foresee this... and it all could be an elaborate set up to "whack Stanley". Will be fun to watch, regardless.

Heh, That would be interesting... Caesar does seem like he would try and find a way to save his own hide if the Don does indeed want him offed... (and if Don King did want Caesar offed. he would do it this way, if he simply disbands Caesar he risks loosing more than 1 warlord. I can't see Vinny taking that one lying down, Don King would probably have to disband Vinny too, and maybe even Bunny. The problem with trying to replace Caesar is that he's very popular with the other warlords, so it might incite a mutiny that would have to be put down by mass disbanding, which would be a severe blow to TV's leadership and even magical-capability if casters join in the protests...) anyway, If Don King did want Caesar out of the picture, that is what he would have done... my initial reaction to the Royal Heir being ordered was that, more than keeping the side going if the Wanda-Steamroller turns toward him next, it's about keeping his royal line from ending if he were croaked, however he should have been talking to Caesar about this and making sure the best leadership bonus on his side doesnt feel like he's being stabbed in the back... however the way it was done, the fact that Don King hasnt been talking to Caesar at all smells like a knife in the back to me, just like it does to Caesar... interestingly though, i like the idea that this is an elaborite plot by Don King to draw stanley out of GK and into a fight... haven't a clue how it will turn out...

So assuming that Caesar is going to act in self preservation to try and contact GK (how would he do it, it would have to be through either Bunny, or Charlie, right?) Oh, and does anyone else think it is more than coincidence that this line was in the last update: "Any commander in the world could get those Archons' attention by concentrating hard enough, for long enough. " and now we have this.

Initially this does seem like something Rob would cook up... Don wants to lure Stanley out for a decapitating strike, He thinks if he makes it look like he's turned on Caesar and wants him out of the picture, Caesar then contacts Parson/His Toolship via Charley, Charley wants to facilitate this because he wants any or all of the following to happen A) Overcharge Don for emergency aid when a much larger flight of Dwagons & Archons than had been anticipated appears in his capital's airspace, along with Artifact bonus... or B) With the artifact and leadership not in GK Charlie could attempt a "Grab Parson and the Bracer" Raid on GK, Without stanley, the hammer, and most of the archons and Dwagons a mid sized force of Charlie's Archons should be able to take airspace and then tower pretty easily. Sack GK, claim Parson, (probably Maggie, and Sizemore too), promote parson to "full" then abandon it and let it go neutral. If Stanley survives the ambush he can reclaim GK (Charley likely doesnt want it) but he will have lost a significant core of his leadership and casters...

Charley wants to do this because A: He makes money charging Don King for Reinforcments, B: He gets Parson and the Bracer, C: there's a real chance of getting the tool offed. and D) GK will commit its decrypted Archons to the attack, likely some/many will be re-croaked, leaving GK holding less of charlie's secrets... Don King wants to do this because He's smart, and he knows that the only real way to deal with Wanda's Army of Doom, decapitating strike to cause them all to disband. and GK wants to attempt to decapitate TV because Caesar offers (through charlie) to claim the side once the capital is sacked, and serve as a puppet for GK, securing their flank so they can continue to curbstomp on the rest of the RCC II without fear of being flanked by Don King or Jillian. I could see Parson trying to convince his toolship why it's a good idea. Charlie's playing both sides and his own agenda (as usual) of course Parson will try to convince the Tool to name an heir if he leaves to attack something, just so the whole side doesnt disband... I doubt he'd name Parson, and I'm damn sure he wont name Wanda or Ansom. An idea that's been bouncing around in my head for a while, that i'm really hoping will happen, is that Parson will convince stanley that he needs to have an heir, but to alleviate his paranoia of appointing anyone in GK's inner circle, Parson convinces him to promote another random piker to heir-designate. That way Stanly would have a "Mini-tool" following him around through all of Book telling him how great he is and how awesome all of his ideas are... *shudder*

another Random thought on "Love is a battlefield" Wanda/Ansom will undoubtedly be facing Jillian (and prolly VInny along with her) at some point. I'm beginning to think that Faq's heir will be staying home so that Jillian can safely take command of at least the Faq/TV prtion of the RCC II (maybe all of it, depending on what level Ossomer and Tremminis are) at this point that seems like the one for sure thing that we can predict for book 2.

anyway, i'm mostly just rambling/speculating at this point, I'm definitely excited to see what book 2 brings!
Last edited by Furousha on Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Furousha

Postby BoopingCynic » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:16 pm

sheepfly wrote:This update is definitely more fodder for the "Love is a Battlefield" themes of... well, love and battle.

The Caesar/Bunny situation may serve as a cautionary tale about getting between a king and his thinkamancer. Something (like an affair with his obligate confidante) that a realist like Don King might look the other way about in times of relative peace... well, that might be an excuse for demotion or a set up with the Carpudlians in times of war.

That said, the whole notion of betrayal against one's units (if one is king) or against one's king (if one is a warlord) seems kind of silly given what we learned about natural thinkamancy, loyalty, and disbanding in Book 1. As others have pointed out, Don King should be able to end Caesar with a thought, as Stanley has claimed he could with Parson. We have also learned (too lazy to find the exact pages) that if a unit refuses orders without loyal justification or attempts to kill its king/overlord, it will spontaneously disband. But in that context, how could Don King's deceased prince have made a play for the throne?

Don King might use the enemies of Transylvito to try to off his chief warlord/heir in a way that wouldn't raise suspicion, but he doesn't have to. Caesar, on the other hand, if he were to turn on Don King and try to end Don King's life before the new royal heir is popped, would have to do exactly what Wanda did: invite the enemy in, give them intelligence on their targets, and (as warlord and lover of the king's thinkamancer) he could do even better by ordering defensive units away from their posts and give the enemy easier access to the king. Caesar, as heir, would also wind up in a better position as a result of regicide: he would (like Stanley) merely have to reclaim the capital and would immediately have a new Transylvito at his command.

I don't think this has anything to do with Bunny, but with the "Only royal side" strategy the RCCII is trying to set up. If Don King wants to get Stanley the they should draw Stanley out with an easy to win skirmish which if CharlesComm helps and Parson isn't notified could lead to the croaking of the entire GK side.
As for Caesar, if Don want's to kill him he can just disband him :roll: but it might lead to mutiny and a loss of bonuses and maybe casters. SO Don obviously wants to keep Caesar but lower his status and give a reason for demoting him to something more fitting for a non-royal by sending into a no-win situation. But Caesar won and now is at least as popular as before :evil:.
Plus even though Don King is smart I don't think anyone but Parson or Charlie could cook up this plan :ugeek: .
Initially this does seem like something Rob would cook up... Don wants to lure Stanley out for a decapitating strike, He thinks if he makes it look like he's turned on Caesar and wants him out of the picture, Caesar then contacts Parson/His Toolship via Charley, Charley wants to facilitate this because he wants any or all of the following to happen A) Overcharge Don for emergency aid when a much larger flight of Dwagons & Archons than had been anticipated appears in his capital's airspace, along with Artifact bonus... or B) With the artifact and leadership not in GK Charlie could attempt a "Grab Parson and the Bracer" Raid on GK, Without stanley, the hammer, and most of the archons and Dwagons a mid sized force of Charlie's Archons should be able to take airspace and then tower pretty easily. Sack GK, claim Parson, (probably Maggie, and Sizemore too), promote parson to "full" then abandon it and let it go neutral. If Stanley survives the ambush he can reclaim GK (Charley likely doesnt want it) but he will have lost a significant core of his leadership and casters...

Charley wants to do this because A: He makes money charging Don King for Reinforcments, B: He gets Parson and the Bracer, and C: there's a real chance of getting the tool offed. Don King wants to do this because He's smart, and he knows that the only real way to deal with Wanda's Army of Doom, decapitating strike to cause them all to disband. and GK wants to attempt to decapitate TV because Caesar offers (through charlie) to claim the side once the capital is sacked, and serve as a puppet for GK, securing their flank so they can continue to curbstomp on the rest of the RCC II without fear of being flanked by Don King or Jillian. I could see Parson trying to convince his toolship why it's a good idea. Charlie's playing both sides and his own agenda (as usual) of course Parson will try to convince the Tool to name an heir if he leaves to attack something, just so the whole side doesnt disband... I doubt he'd name Parson, and I'm damn sure he wont name Wanda or Ansom. An idea that's been bouncing around in my head for a while, that i'm really hoping will happen, is that Parson will convince stanley that he needs to have an heir, but to alleviate his paranoia of appointing anyone in GK's inner circle, Parson convinces him to promote another random piker to heir-designate. That way Stanly would have a "Mini-tool" following him around through all of Book telling him how great he is and how awesome all of his ideas are... *shudder*
Here lies a toppled God\
His fall was not a small one\
We did but build his pedestal\
A narrow and a tall one.
~ Tlielaxu Epigram ~
BoopingCynic

Postby Yosarian » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:18 pm

Megaduck wrote:This is why Ansom's idea to stop and rest is a bad one. It's going to cost them strategic momentum against a economically superior side.

What GK needs to do, and Parson should realize, is to disrupt the enemies preparations and prevent them from regaining the initiative. If he can get Carpool and TV to fight each other it costs GK little but prevents TV from assisting in building up a large enough force to smash the AoD. GK can't fight the world solo and win. To achieve victory Parson needs to keep the RCC2 distracted, disorganized, and slowly being drained of power and treasure. Once GK gains both Military AND Economic superiority then they can hold and build and eventually pick off their former allies one by one.

Actually, that's exactly why Ansom's plan makes sense. Trying to disrupt the enemy and mess with them isn't really the goal here. While they have the momentum, the stack of doom, it would be great if they could break the back of the "economically superior side". Thus, decapitate them, take their capital, break up the new Royal Coalition, and keep the enemies disorganized long enough to gobble up a lot more cities. If it works, then it's probably GG.

But, of course, first before he can do that, he's got to gather up his whole army into one huge fist. If he's going for that city now, the one his brother said he would "love to defend", he needs to hit it with everything, he needs to hit it hard, with overwhelming force, and he needs to take it fast before reinforcements can show up. He can't go in with half-measures and survive. Frankly, he might not survive the attack at all, no matter what he does.
Yosarian

Postby DevilDan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:42 pm

Fabulous update. I wish we'd seen more of these "one-shots."

One thing we're going to have to learn is that the composition of one army or military unit may not necessarily be representative of the composition of its side's entire forces. Looks like Caesar played it smart, but now he's going to be out of a job soon. I'm disappointed to see confirmation that Don is staking his place on the fight along ideological lines.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:58 pm

sheepfly wrote:So, in the end, this update ultimately seems like a setup for another powerplay in Transylvito in the turns leading up to the royal heir popping, possibly with Stanley playing the role (once again) of the tool who offs the king and makes the heir designate a barbarian capable of reclaiming the capital. But then, Don King might foresee this... and it all could be an elaborate set up to "whack Stanley". Will be fun to watch, regardless.

I don't think this is part of some elaborate scheme to whack the Stanley. It's just too complicated. Disgruntle Ceasar, make him try to turn, give him false information, then lure Stanley or his forces out of GK and make an decapitating attack... that just won't work. Stanley is an idiot, but not that dumb. He will never leave his capital to meet some traitorous TV warlord (that's the job of his level 10 chief warlord), and he will never let his capital defenceless just to attack TV. Stanley just enjoys living too much, he even opposed Parson's dwagon hunting plan at first, even if it promised him fun.

If Don wanted to lure Stanley out, he would use Jillian and Ceasar to infuriate him. They were the two who beat him at the chokepoint and croaked his dwagons. Some provoking thinkagrams to remind him, and then let him somehow know that these two are just within reach of his dwagons and he could croak them... that could lure him out. But even that is unlikely.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby BoopingCynic » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:01 pm

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:
sheepfly wrote:So, in the end, this update ultimately seems like a setup for another powerplay in Transylvito in the turns leading up to the royal heir popping, possibly with Stanley playing the role (once again) of the tool who offs the king and makes the heir designate a barbarian capable of reclaiming the capital. But then, Don King might foresee this... and it all could be an elaborate set up to "whack Stanley". Will be fun to watch, regardless.

I don't think this is part of some elaborate scheme to whack the Stanley. It's just too complicated. Disgruntle Ceasar, make him try to turn, give him false information, then lure Stanley or his forces out of GK and make an decapitating attack... that just won't work. Stanley is an idiot, but not that dumb. He will never leave his capital to meet some traitorous TV warlord (that's the job of his level 10 chief warlord), and he will never let his capital defenceless just to attack TV. Stanley just enjoys living too much, he even opposed Parson's dwagon hunting plan at first, even if it promised him fun.

If Don wanted to lure Stanley out, he would use Jillian and Ceasar to infuriate him. They were the two who beat him at the chokepoint and croaked his dwagons. Some provoking thinkagrams to remind him, and then let him somehow know that these two are just within reach of his dwagons and he could croak them... that could lure him out. But even that is unlikely.

A better way to lure him out would be to do a small incursion at GK then if Stanley comes out curb stomp him :twisted:.
I don't think Caesar'd make a play for throne but he could start a lot of dissent unintentionally over the fact he's been demoted :x.
Here lies a toppled God\
His fall was not a small one\
We did but build his pedestal\
A narrow and a tall one.
~ Tlielaxu Epigram ~
BoopingCynic

Postby djharr » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:20 pm

OK, this seems a propitious point at which to post my current thoughts on how things are going to play out. There are a couple of points that jump out at me.

1) Has anyone else considered the ramifications of Wanda's decrypted not requiring upkeep? Potentially, she could break off on her own, with only whatever upkeep she herself required, and form an army without a side. Now, I know that Barbarian warlords spawn occasionally, but there has got to be some pretty significant limitations as to how big a barbarian horde can become without some kind of base of operations. Wanda has no such limitation. As long as she herself is taken care of, then her entire army is good.

2) Given (1) above, and Stanley's total paranoia and insane jealousy of Wanda's having attuned the Arkenpliers, I see us in a situation where we get GW & RCC2 v Wanda and the Army of Darkness. I really think that Stanley is going to blow up at some point in time, especially when he realizes that EVERYTHING is riding on Wanda, and all that she needs to do to take everything is just to reach out her hand and close her fingers...

3) Not entirely sure that this scenario is going to play this way for Book 2, but I am betting that in the near future, we are going to see the mother of all fallings out, and then Stanley is going to be forced to eat crow, rely on Parson to pull his fat out of the fire, and join RCC2.

Just some wild speculation on my part.

David
djharr

Postby spriteless » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:28 pm

If Heir Designate croaks the King when a Royal Heir is in production, does the little prince still get to be popped? If so, than Caesar won't even destroy Don King's line if it comes to it. That is the nicest coup ever.
T'was a splendidly speedy defection.
spriteless

Postby Itzal » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:30 pm

looks like you guys forgot this but all of the decrypted are not with Ansom and Wanda. Parson didn't want to talk in front of the decrypted in the bank when he was with Maggie. It's likely that there is a huge force of decrypted in GK and thus attacking it would be suicide.

attacking with Charlies archons is unlikely as 80% of them are out on jobs and they're so expensive that just massing them for an attack, if Charlie wasn't getting payed, would cause Charlie to run out of money and thus be forced to disband most of them (only one city means that most of the income for the Archons comes from hireing them out).
Veni Vedi Volo En Domium Redare
I came, I saw, I wanna go home.
Itzal

Postby WarFAN » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:31 pm

I think Caesar will try to defect to Charlescomm. He´s a flyer, a high-level warlord and has a cunning mind.

Of course, Charlie has no warlords, but he wanted Parson. Why not Caesar?
WarFAN

Postby raphfrk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:43 pm

BoopingCynic wrote:A better way to lure him out would be to do a small incursion at GK then if Stanley comes out curb stomp him :twisted:.
I don't think Caesar'd make a play for throne but he could start a lot of dissent unintentionally over the fact he's been demoted :x.

I wonder if there is a river called Rubicon in (or near) Translvito territory :).
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Yosarian » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:00 pm

Glenn wrote: And this message reveals that while Caesar had the tactical skill to (just barely) beat the Carpoolian ambush, he still hasn't grasped the magnitude of the strategic threat posed by Gobwin Knob. Decryption changes everything, and yet Caesar is as blind to its significance as the Carpoolians. If Caesar had his way, Transylvito would be abandoning the RCC. I suspect that Bunny may have shared this message with Don, and that it's forced Don to the realization that Caesar simply doesn't the strategic mind needed to be a Ruler. Remember that Bunny spent a lot of time working with Queen Bea, so she probably feels the emotional loss of Unaroyal a lot more strongly than Caesar does.

Actually, it sounds like Don hasn't bothered to tell Ceaser about the Arkenpliers and the army of decrypted. Which probably is a bad sign for Ceaser.

Ceaser was mostly frustrated that they were fighting a two-front war and not doing well with either, and that's certanly not a sign of stratgic blindlness, especally if he dosn't know what's going on.
Yosarian

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions