Epilogue 22 - The King of Jetstone's Diary

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Epilogue 22 - The King of Jetstone's Diary

Postby Gregoriownd » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:19 pm

You know, there is a slight temptation to troll this thread until the condition of the talk about unconditional surrender happens, as a form of unconditional surrender to fill the condition required for me to no longer troll.

But under any condition, that might be wrong ;)
Gregoriownd

Postby Lilwik » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Fcannon wrote:Hint--when an instrument of surrender uses the phrase "unconditional surrender", THE SURRENDER WAS UNCONDITIONAL.
That makes sense, but it seems a bit odd. Why would Japan surrender unconditionally when they'd been offered a much better deal by the Potsdam Declaration? I think it must have been unstated but obvious to everyone that Japan expected the Allies to honor their promises in the Potsdam Declaration, even though Japan isn't actually asking for that in the surrender agreement. In that case using the words "unconditional surrender" was just a political move to satisfy the people in the Allied nations who wanted to see an unconditional surrender from Japan. If so, it wasn't a real unconditional surrender. It seems like it really left the door open for the Allies to ignore all their promises, but I guess Japan was desperate enough to let the Allies phrase the agreement however they liked and just hope that the Allies weren't going to take advantage of the wording.
Lilwik

Postby Tonot » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:22 am

Fcannon wrote:Man, this thread got derailed in the dumbest way possible. It's like people trying to defend bad fan theories in the face of canon...except with history, which is so much worse. Hint-when an instrument of surrender uses the phrase "unconditional surrender", THE SURRENDER WAS UNCONDITIONAL.

ABSOLUTELY. And as a further hint, when the people making the ultimatum respond to recalcitrance with, not negotiations, but ATOMIC BOMBS ONE AFTER ANOTHER, then it is pretty obvious at least the one side was not offering or listening to conditions.

Here is an example.

I saw people continuing the argument in almost their cheerful defiance of reason, and I said to myself "I will try to make it clear to them again" and my BRAIN instantly and loudly answered,

"NO ! ! ! NO YOU WILL NOT ! ! ! Listen closely, because I am giving you a final ultimatum, and you are to accept it WITHOUT CONDITIONS !. If you talk to one of those people again about their mistaken ideas, I will, with righteous FURY and INDIGNATION at your killing my brain cells to no purpose, swell again and again until my distended matter explodes your skull. SURRENDER, OR DIE !. . . not one tiny if, but or maybe. If I hear a single condition proposed by you, it is tapioca-wall-coating-time, MY BLOODY OATH ON IT !".

:o :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gregoriownd wrote:You know, there is a slight temptation to troll this thread until the condition of the talk about unconditional surrender happens, as a form of unconditional surrender to fill the condition required for me to no longer troll.

But under any condition, that might be wrong ;)

Not necessarily. If you can do it with wit and panache, and amuse us, why, Lay on McDuff, and damn'd be him who first cries, "Hold, enough".
Tonot

Previous

Return to Reactions