Epilogue 22 - The King of Jetstone's Diary

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Epilogue 22 - The King of Jetstone's Diary

Postby ShieldOfAthena » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:30 am

DJMandwich wrote:Loved the Jetstone update.

Just want to point out, in both panels, there are the same number of pages remaining.
And the binding is facing the same direction. So.. no writing on the back of the page? But then there should still be an extra page in the first graphic vs the second one.
ShieldOfAthena
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Sixty » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:37 am

Well, if it wasn't for Jetstone horribly lacking in funds at the moment I'd say this seems like a tease that they might also snag someone from Stupidworld.
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby mp122984 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:40 am

Perhaps as a magic book it doesn't run out of pages. If that was the case, that last page could be some metaphorical thing ("write every page as if it was your last") that Trammenis is interpreting as a Prediction (I.e. The book is almost finished but isn't sure when it will be and is just sticking to that last page so that it'll be ready for that real last page.) Of course, it could also be that the book does have some sense of how long Jetstone has left, in which case Trammenis would be right. It'll be interesting to see which one it is.

Edit: Apologies for the contradiction. Edited to clean it up.
Last edited by mp122984 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mp122984

Postby Shai_hulud » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:59 am

Aquillion wrote:There are almost no named units left in Jetstone period -- Trammenis, his healer, the hat magician, and... I think that's it. Everyone else is dead and / or decrypted.
There's also Miranda and Marie. Marie's not a warlord though.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Whispri » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:32 am

Evolve or die... perhaps that's what the page count it predicting? The fall of the last King of Jetstone doesn't have to mean the Side itself dies, just ask Stanley.

Shai_hulud wrote:
Aquillion wrote:There are almost no named units left in Jetstone period -- Trammenis, his healer, the hat magician, and... I think that's it. Everyone else is dead and / or decrypted.
There's also Miranda and Marie. Marie's not a warlord though.

Indeed... Mary's was part of Spacerock's garrison though, she may well have been left behind to fight and die. Or just been forgotten about as her stack often was historically.

I believe there was a mention of a Captain Price as well.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby ShieldOfAthena » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:10 am

Whispri wrote:I believe there was a mention of a Captain Price as well.
You mean Peirce? He is the Healomancer.
ShieldOfAthena
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Whispri » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:27 am

ShieldOfAthena wrote:
Whispri wrote:I believe there was a mention of a Captain Price as well.
You mean Peirce? He is the Healomancer.

No, I mean Price, Antium's Captain.
Whispri

Postby BakaGrappler » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:09 am

This was a good update. We're now officially in the Night After part of the story, and it is good to touch base with the related parties and get their views of what the aftershocks of the day will mean.

I wonder if the next update will be Charlie plotting and shitting his pants...

Anyway, the amount of detail that went into that panel is quite wonderful, Mike. (That is his name, right? I hope my bad memory doesn't bite me here.) The tassles, radish everything, tea set, cross hatching of the walls of the tent, and the cover for the tome. And if those last pages are in fact as ominous as Tramennis thinks they are, I suppose that would make it the Book of Omens!

But I do wonder, I can't help but wonder, if Parson will try and get some sort of peace pact with Tramennis, because all the people involved in the parley beforehand are either dead or captive. It may be a chance to reopen negotiations. "So yeah, you know how both of us lost an entire army yesterday? You maybe wanna talk and figure out a way so that doesn't happen again?"
An epic space opera where you fully customize your Captain's Background, Military Career, and Court Martial.
Will you prevent civilization from fracturing and win back your honor? Or betray the Empress' trust and plunder the galaxy?
BakaGrappler

Postby Mrtyuh » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:03 am

badninja wrote:That is a sad fate for the new King. I have a feeling that He is one of the few units in Erfworld who can think latterly, sadly he will only find like minds among is enemy and an untrustworthy unit. Trem is far up stream with no battle and he is in far over his head.

Here's an interesting fact, to me anyway. The word orthodox comes from the Greek ὀρθόδοξος, which means thinking straight or correctly. On the other hand, the word heretic comes from the Greek αἱρετικός, which means able to choose or having a distinct opinion. There are times when reading Erfworld when that little fact pops into my head, such as when the Great Minds are discussing Thinking Alike, and here we have Tremennis writing heretical and heterodox, from ἑτεροδοξία meaning thinking differently, side by side. I find it ironic, since, in the literal sense, Tremennis is, or at least the very least has the potential to become, one of the most heretical, heterodox units in all of Erfworld. It certainly sets up an interesting internal struggle within Tremennis, as his promise to uphold his father's orthodoxy clashes with his own nature.

dogsx wrote:I know of another side which didn't have any suitable warlord to promote. Will the next book see Parson face a former war gaming buddy on the battlefield?

Possible. Charlie already used the spell once. While I'm not sure he is desperate enough to use it himself yet, he may be willing to sell it to Jetstone.

0beron wrote:Thaaaaaaaank you Rob! Every time you give us a single date/duration, I pretty much do a jig.
Agreed that 80,000 isn't as long as it sounds, but it's a very valuable number to know, because I think it tells us something about Wanda's age and her peers. I still don't think Jetstone could have been around when Haffaton was gobbling up sides, given their proximity to FAQ.
Also, just love this whole update for the insights into Trem. It's exciting to see the direction he is thinking already....he's not condemning GK and cursing them for taking his family....he's talking about surviving, by (possibly) any means necessary.

Let's see, Jetstone has existed for at least almost eighty thousand turns. Slately ruled for around three thousand of those. Don is over four hundred turns old. We knew that Transylvito existed when Haffaton fell, but we do not know who its ruler was at that time. Jillian is at least seven hundred turns old, and she was over two hundred turns in age when she met Bart. We have the ages and histories of the Great Minds. Haffaton existed for about eleven thousand turns, and el-Efbaum had been locked in a stalemate with Easteros and Westeregg for longer than Haffaton had existed when they allied with the Wizard. Wanda had not popped when Charlie fled Efbaum, but she was around to be informed when Jillian popped. Am I missing any references?

Still, I see no reason why Jetstone could not have existed concurrently with Haffaton. While what are now Gobwin Knob and Jitterati were definitely occupied by Haffaton, that territory made up the southern periphery of that side. Unaroyal was over two hundred hexes to the east of Gobwin Knob, and Jetstone is even farther east than that. Given Jetstone's age, I would actually think it is virtually certain that Jetstone existed before Haffaton fell and perhaps even before it was founded. It wouldn't surprise me if Slately was already their King when Dame Branch croaked.

As for Tremennis, his thoughts certainly are interesting. I was expecting at least a short period of grief and outrage, but he seems focused on his precarious situation as King.

0beron wrote:Hmmm, not a bad idea....we do gather that they used to have a lot of brothers....

Slately had a total of twenty-three sons and daughters, to be exact.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby SteveMB » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:28 am

BakaGrappler wrote:But I do wonder, I can't help but wonder, if Parson will try and get some sort of peace pact with Tramennis, because all the people involved in the parley beforehand are either dead or captive. It may be a chance to reopen negotiations. "So yeah, you know how both of us lost an entire army yesterday? You maybe wanna talk and figure out a way so that doesn't happen again?"

Convincing Stanley to go along with that should be interesting (though the fact that he agreed to the capital switch indicates that he's not as stubborn as he usually seems).
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB

Postby Free Radical » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:20 am

On the subject of needing to change Jetsone's strategy, we know from Ace's backstory that Jetstone had been thinking about altering their side's entire strategy when they lost their previous Dollamancer, and were only saved having to make that change by him popping, so Tramennis' warlords being reluctant to change their strategy now would show them to be even more lacking in creativity than just not recognising the new threat offered by Gobwin Knob.

I wonder if, like in Ace's case, fate will provide Jetstone with an appropriate caster to suit whatever change in strategy Tramennis thinks of, or possibly if a new caster popping will affect the strategy he decides they need to change to?
Free Radical

Postby Whispri » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:21 am

Mrtyuh wrote:
0beron wrote:Thaaaaaaaank you Rob! Every time you give us a single date/duration, I pretty much do a jig.
Agreed that 80,000 isn't as long as it sounds, but it's a very valuable number to know, because I think it tells us something about Wanda's age and her peers. I still don't think Jetstone could have been around when Haffaton was gobbling up sides, given their proximity to FAQ.
Also, just love this whole update for the insights into Trem. It's exciting to see the direction he is thinking already....he's not condemning GK and cursing them for taking his family....he's talking about surviving, by (possibly) any means necessary.

Let's see, Jetstone has existed for at least almost eighty thousand turns. Slately ruled for around three thousand of those. Don is over four hundred turns old. We knew that Transylvito existed when Haffaton fell, but we do not know who its ruler was at that time. Jillian is at least seven hundred turns old, and she was over two hundred turns in age when she met Bart. We have the ages and histories of the Great Minds. Haffaton existed for about eleven thousand turns, and el-Efbaum had been locked in a stalemate with Easteros and Westeregg for longer than Haffaton had existed when they allied with the Wizard. Wanda had not popped when Charlie fled Efbaum, but she was around to be informed when Jillian popped. Am I missing any references?

Still, I see no reason why Jetstone could not have existed concurrently with Haffaton. While what are now Gobwin Knob and Jitterati were definitely occupied by Haffaton, that territory made up the southern periphery of that side. Unaroyal was over two hundred hexes to the east of Gobwin Knob, and Jetstone is even farther east than that. Given Jetstone's age, I would actually think it is virtually certain that Jetstone existed before Haffaton fell and perhaps even before it was founded. It wouldn't surprise me if Slately was already their King when Dame Branch croaked.

Yeah, problem with that is that Wanda, Haffaton's Erf-famous Croakamancer, is currently stomping all over Jetstone territory with an army that marches under Haffaton's banner. Also, the lack of an RCC in Haffaton's face is rather telling.

Haffaton just can't have fallen in Slately's day. Maybe during the reign of a King who wasn't so big on hunting Overlords, but not while Slately was in power and not while anyone who could have known Wanda's reputation was alive (obviously those in no position to pass the information along are excempt from this).
Whispri

Postby Furius » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:39 am

ShieldOfAthena wrote:

Just want to point out, in both panels, there are the same number of pages remaining.
And the binding is facing the same direction. So.. no writing on the back of the page? But then there should still be an extra page in the first graphic vs the second one.

This also bothered me. But I suspect it is nitpicking.

With respect to the 80,000 turns - we have to reason to assume the Flintlock was the first king of Jetstone, do we? Jetstone might very well be substantially older.
Furius

Postby fjolnir » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:25 am

I love how most people seem to have overlooked the Dittomancer, Lloyd in their list of named jetstone units...
fjolnir

Postby oslecamo2_temp » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:32 am

Furius wrote:
ShieldOfAthena wrote:

This also bothered me. But I suspect it is nitpicking.

With respect to the 80,000 turns - we have to reason to assume the Flintlock was the first king of Jetstone, do we? Jetstone might very well be substantially older.

+1 to that.

It's also an unique characteristic of Jetstone. How many other erfworld sides are bothering to record their own history again?

And as already pointed out, 219 years for a nation to remain with the same name and under the same lineage is pretty good even by stupidworld standards.
Formerly oslecamo2, unable to acess old acount.
oslecamo2_temp

Postby Lipkin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:46 am

fjolnir wrote:I love how most people seem to have overlooked the Dittomancer, Lloyd in their list of named jetstone units...

0beron wrote:
Lloyd the Dittomancer, Cubbins Hat Magician, and Pierce Chief Healomancer. Everyone else with names is gone, unless someone who was only mentioned becomes newly important (like that Warlord Artemis was into, or the Earl of Olay, ect)

Says who?
Lipkin

Postby drachefly » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:28 am

Whispri wrote:
Mrtyuh wrote:I see no reason why Jetstone could not have existed concurrently with Haffaton. While what are now Gobwin Knob and Jitterati were definitely occupied by Haffaton, that territory made up the southern periphery of that side. Unaroyal was over two hundred hexes to the east of Gobwin Knob, and Jetstone is even farther east than that. Given Jetstone's age, I would actually think it is virtually certain that Jetstone existed before Haffaton fell and perhaps even before it was founded. It wouldn't surprise me if Slately was already their King when Dame Branch croaked.

Yeah, problem with that is that Wanda, Haffaton's Erf-famous Croakamancer, is currently stomping all over Jetstone territory with an army that marches under Haffaton's banner. Also, the lack of an RCC in Haffaton's face is rather telling.

It had a large buffer zone - if there was an unfriendly side in between where Unaroyal now is, they might not have heard of them.

I wouldn't expect this to have been when Slately was king, but when Jetstone was a side? Sure. Especially since Spacerock is closer to GK than Jetstone is!
drachefly

Postby Shai_hulud » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:57 pm

But when did they capture Spacerock?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby hehehe426 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:But when did they capture Spacerock?

*points to book 2*
.... Uuunless you're talking something else like specific time? Idk. If you're just asking out of confusion... That's the entirety of book 2.
hehehe426
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Zorcom » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:16 pm

FAQ falls to Caesar. Jillian becomes barbarian again (she won't be present for the attack as it'll happen before she gets back). Jillian allies with Jetstone due to her good relationship with Tramennis. Thus Tramennis gets the unorthodox chief warlord.
Zorcom

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions