Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Epilogue 25 - Parson and Charlie

Postby vonAdler » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:26 am

Long, long time lurker, registering for this.

The AA guns at Charlie's fortress looks like French triple 13,2mm or Japanese triple 25mm AA guns, while the rifles could be US M1 ones or Lee-Enfield SMLE. All could be either from Stupidworld influence, or Charlie could be from the late 1930s to early 1940s.

And Charlie's threats ring a bit false - if he could take down Parson that easily, he would not need to threaten.
vonAdler

Postby kefkakrazy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:51 am

vonAdler wrote:And Charlie's threats ring a bit false - if he could take down Parson that easily, he would not need to threaten.

Not necessarily.

It's long been suspected that Charlie's endgame plan is much, much bigger than any of the Erfworlders think, and a lot of us have always had a strong suspicion that it's total domination of Erfworld, either as a shadow king pulling everyone's puppet strings or as the conqueror none of them saw coming.

He may have the military strength to crush Gobwin Knob (Archons are already some of the most deadly combat units we've seen, and that's without booping assault rifles and AA guns), and just doesn't want to be forced into it because tipping his hand about his true capabilities so flagrantly would ally a big chunk of Erfworld against him sooner than he's presumably ready for it.
kefkakrazy

Postby Radagast » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:57 am

ShieldOfAthena wrote:....So when does the COMIC part of the comic get an update? I might be alone in this, but I don't watch the videos. I think they are kind of a waste of time, tbh. Side projects are for when your main project is on time and doing well.

I agree... I watched the video with the sound off and just read the subtitles, but a normal page would have been nicer. I don't really see what there was to "spoil" by having the normal page. Even if you saw the picture at the end before reading the rest it really doesn't spoil anything.
Radagast

Postby zilfallon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:05 am

Radagast wrote:I agree... I watched the video with the sound off and just read the subtitles, but a normal page would have been nicer. I don't really see what there was to "spoil" by having the normal page. Even if you saw the picture at the end before reading the rest it really doesn't spoil anything.

Dunno, the ending was a pretty epic "OH SHIT" moment. I haven't watched the vids before (tried a few, didn't like) but this one was GG.

kefkakrazy wrote:
vonAdler wrote:And Charlie's threats ring a bit false - if he could take down Parson that easily, he would not need to threaten.

He may have the military strength to crush Gobwin Knob (Archons are already some of the most deadly combat units we've seen, and that's without booping assault rifles and AA guns), and just doesn't want to be forced into it because tipping his hand about his true capabilities so flagrantly would ally a big chunk of Erfworld against him sooner than he's presumably ready for it.

Agreed. I think he's trying to start a world war against GK and will try to make it so that the coalition wins and destroys GK but loses most of it's strength, which will make it easier to faceroll Erfworld.

Of course, that is assuming his goal is dominating Erfworld.
rkyeun wrote:Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Postby shamelessmerc » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:19 am

Radagast wrote:
ShieldOfAthena wrote:....So when does the COMIC part of the comic get an update? I might be alone in this, but I don't watch the videos. I think they are kind of a waste of time, tbh. Side projects are for when your main project is on time and doing well.

I agree... I watched the video with the sound off and just read the subtitles, but a normal page would have been nicer. I don't really see what there was to "spoil" by having the normal page. Even if you saw the picture at the end before reading the rest it really doesn't spoil anything.

AGREE! AGREE! AGREE!

I've already moaned about this on FB, now I'm moaning about it here.

1) the videos don't load on my phone so I had to come and log on to real computer.

2) the voiceover is like fingers down a chalkboard to me so I had to watch with the sound off

3) I read at my own pace, so I had to keep pausing and backtracking

All of this meant I was so wound up by the time I reached the end, I was totally unimpressed with what should have been a "knock me down" moment.

I get that you are excited by this new format, but was it really worth messing up this update for those of us that don't like the videos?

I really, really love your storytelling and I have been following Erfworld from since Key Lime Pie.
shamelessmerc

Postby shamelessmerc » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:21 am

No one in particular wrote:Charlie knows about a world outside of Erf. He knows about a world where there are no Turns, no Duty, no RULES... and he wants to be a part of it.

Charlie wants off the Game Grid. Charlie wants OUT.

Why conquer Erfworld when he can conquer Stupidworld?

Boop, man. BOOP.

That Sir, is a truly awesome notion!
shamelessmerc

Postby BlackTower » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:36 am

I find it interesting that Charlie normally gets Parson's Stupidworld references and memes, but he didn't seem to understand when Parson said "You're a wizard Harry."
BlackTower

Postby Denar » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:45 am

BlackTower wrote:I find it interesting that Charlie normally gets Parson's Stupidworld references and memes, but he didn't seem to understand when Parson said "You're a wizard Harry."

I think it's more to do with the fact that Charlie is The Wizard, and from his perspective nobody should be able to know that or - if they do know - they shouldn't be able to talk about it. I guess to Charlie that strikes him as a very odd choice of words... I mean, what could Parson mean by it otherwise?

"I have plenty of tricks you don't even know about!"

"Yes, yes, I know you're The Wizard of Oz who was all about his tricks." / "Yes, yes, you're Harry Potter, the boy who found out he had magical powers, who wasn't really manipulative or a trickster, so he doesn't really apply to you."

So he's not confused by the pop-culture-ness of the reference, he's confused that Parson said such a line at all.
Denar

Postby slb » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:56 am

I'm confused about the "testing Parson's duty limits" thing.

In book 1, didn't the calculation Parson gave to Charly about the number of troop he needed to capture GK was clearly against his duty ? Far more than the information in this episode ?
slb
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Tanaar » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:45 am

@Balder and team: ignore the haters who have been trashing the video format of 25. Half of them straight-up admitted that they didn't bother viewing it as intended.

I've been with you since Manpower tasted key lime pie, and this was one of my absolute favorite updates. The people who are saying that it would have been as good or better in standard format are straight up wrong. DO NOT post the text-and-pictures version to the front page or the main archive. Have it linked under the video, for sure, but the video is the exact right way to view this.

That said, video was exactly the wrong way to view most of the other Epilogue updates. Deadpan worked for the eye book communication, and zooming out from the courtyard of Charlie's Erf-bound Death Star gave me chills. It didn't work for any of the other updates, except maybe the mental Thinkamancer conversations.

Eager for the next book
Tanaar

Postby 0beron » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:50 am

WOW!

For once I don't really have much speculation or such...I'm just VERY curious to see why they are glowing red....
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Nargrakhan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:01 am

shamelessmerc wrote:
Radagast wrote:

AGREE! AGREE! AGREE!

I've already moaned about this on FB, now I'm moaning about it here.

1) the videos don't load on my phone so I had to come and log on to real computer.

2) the voiceover is like fingers down a chalkboard to me so I had to watch with the sound off

3) I read at my own pace, so I had to keep pausing and backtracking

All of this meant I was so wound up by the time I reached the end, I was totally unimpressed with what should have been a "knock me down" moment.

I get that you are excited by this new format, but was it really worth messing up this update for those of us that don't like the videos?

I really, really love your storytelling and I have been following Erfworld from since Key Lime Pie.

+1 for reasons already stated. I hate the video updates with an extreme passion, and it's never been an issue until now because it was always optional. You've made it mandatory until the non-video post.

Will unfortunately have to wait until that happens...
Nargrakhan
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby kiyote » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:49 am

slb wrote:I'm confused about the "testing Parson's duty limits" thing.

In book 1, didn't the calculation Parson gave to Charly about the number of troop he needed to capture GK was clearly against his duty ? Far more than the information in this episode ?

I think that a large part of duty relies on knowledge and belief that what you're doing will hurt your side. Remember back in the summer updates when Parson didn't go on the rounds that Stanley ordered him to? He got out of it because he didn't believe he had to.

Back in Book 1, I bet that Parson didn't really understand the implications of the calculation until after he already did it, and even then, didn't fully believe the ramifications against his side.
kiyote
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Toper » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:57 am

kefkakrazy wrote:It's long been suspected that Charlie's endgame plan is much, much bigger than any of the Erfworlders think, and a lot of us have always had a strong suspicion that it's total domination of Erfworld, either as a shadow king pulling everyone's puppet strings or as the conqueror none of them saw coming.

That would be a pretty boring goal. And it's difficult for me to imagine Charlie actually wanting that -- what would be the point? He's never seemed particularly motivated by kingship or conquest before, and the attempt would seem antithetical to his more usual goals of stability and personal safety.
Toper
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Beeskee » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:47 am

Lemarc wrote:I don't see why guns would be a major gamechanger. Surely they just have an Attack stat like everything else, and archons can already shoot laser beams, can't they? The only significant advantage I can see is if they could be mass-produced and given to low-level troops to boost their combat power, kind of like the real life gunpowder revolution.

Archons use juice for their spells. Guns don't. Remember the scout archon who was pretending to be a chimney during the airspace cleanup at Jetstone? Imagine if she'd had a sniper rifle at that moment.

Even non-automatic weapons have an advantage over bows and arrows, but those looked like heavy duty automatic weapons to me.

This is bad, but it gives Parson an excuse to introduce something like nukes.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Sky Schemer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:12 am

kefkakrazy wrote:He may have the military strength to crush Gobwin Knob (Archons are already some of the most deadly combat units we've seen, and that's without booping assault rifles and AA guns), and just doesn't want to be forced into it because tipping his hand about his true capabilities so flagrantly would ally a big chunk of Erfworld against him sooner than he's presumably ready for it.

There's also a big difference between having military power and being able to project it. Archons with rifles are pretty mobile, but heavy artillery is not and you need the latter to lay siege. He'll need lots of troops to move it around, and they take time and money to produce. He may not yet have the resources to do that.

On a related note, this could be why he has been popping so many golems.
Last edited by Sky Schemer on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sky Schemer
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:14 am

Why are guns a major game changer? Yes, bows and swords and arrows have an attack stat. Just like guns should. However like in the real world those guns probably have much better "attack stats" than other weapons.

Also we finally see what Charlie was using his dollamancy for.
Lamech

Postby No one in particular » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:33 am

Do... do you not read the news? Have you missed the part where Rob said, on the MAIN PAGE, under the comic,
Rob, before posting Epilogue 25 wrote:There are only two epilogues left to run, but we've hit some major disruptions.
[...]
But after the epilogues, there is not a lot else coming. We are not going to start the final part of Book 0 until Xin has finished all the bonus art for Book 2. We are also not going to start Book 3 until we've had the Kickstarter to fund drawing it (and printing Book 2). So after the epilogues have finished, we're going to be doing filler content for at least a month.

... And there was the bit immediately after the end of LIAB, where Rob said
The Book 2 epilogues will consist of about 25 updates, each with a short page of text and two full-color illustrations by David Hahn.

Rob has been totally upfront about how this is an experiment, about how long it would last, warned us when it was going to go for an extra segment and everything. From day one, even.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby DJMandwich » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:55 am

No one in particular wrote:

Do... do you not read the news? Have you missed the part where Rob said, on the MAIN PAGE, under the comic,
Rob, before posting Epilogue 25 wrote:There are only two epilogues left to run, but we've hit some major disruptions.
[...]
But after the epilogues, there is not a lot else coming. We are not going to start the final part of Book 0 until Xin has finished all the bonus art for Book 2. We are also not going to start Book 3 until we've had the Kickstarter to fund drawing it (and printing Book 2). So after the epilogues have finished, we're going to be doing filler content for at least a month.

... And there was the bit immediately after the end of LIAB, where Rob said
The Book 2 epilogues will consist of about 25 updates, each with a short page of text and two full-color illustrations by David Hahn.

Rob has been totally upfront about how this is an experiment, about how long it would last, warned us when it was going to go for an extra segment and everything. From day one, even.

He was asking for when the static, nonvideo, comic page for epilogue 25 will be posted—not Book 3 nor Book 0.

And to answer the question, Rob did say "in a couple of days" directly below the video.

Personally, this was the only video I enjoyed (had it muted - tried listening and immediately turned the sound off). I thought it was very well done. It worked for me only because it was not spoken dialogue but 'written' conversation. It was cool seeing the conversation play out as Parson would have seen it. And the final scene with pan out had exactly the effect on me that I am sure was intended.
DJMandwich

Postby Lamech » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:02 pm

I for one actually liked the video. The pauses in the book convo, and the pan out where really nice. Ta-Da!
Lamech

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions