Lord Crush - Part 5

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Lord Crush - Part 5

Postby balder » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:11 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Lord Crush - Part 5

Postby Manic Oppressive » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:35 pm

So now we have a general idea of when this takes place at least. And a side that doesn't appreciate royalty that much, so maybe an ally for Parson down the line.
Why yes, I do like Jillian. WHAT OF IT?
Manic Oppressive

Postby Sir. Knowsalot » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:59 pm

Where it's needed most is likely either Tramennis or Parson. My bet is on Parson, which could imply that there is a multi-side alliance in Gobwin Knob's future.

Also, isn't it funny how Crush'll likely never know the barbarian he hired was the Faq chief warlord? Such things make me chuckle.
Sir. Knowsalot

Postby Radagast » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:17 pm

Hmm. Do we know how long Jillian spent as a barbarian before Book 1 started?

I know everyone is all about GK and Jetstone allying, but IMHO it makes more sense for Parson to play Civ5 and rope a bunch of tiny sides (city-states) into a big alliance.
Radagast

Postby Dystopianman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:25 pm

If I were in Parson's spot and knew about this guy and his story, I would expend every effort to get this guy on my side. In the Romance of the Three Kingdoms grand strategy games, recruiting good generals is one of the keys to victory.
This is strategy. First...you have a goal. Then, you list objectives in support of that goal, in order of importance. Then, you weigh the costs and accomplish the most you can, however you can. Without even fighting, if possible!
Dystopianman

Postby 0beron » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:38 pm

Huh so little rules detail thrown in there, CWL status is not automatically revoked by capture. Provided the Ruler does not appoint a replacement, the unit would resume being CWL if escaped/released/rescued.

Also cool to the get the general sense of time thrown in there. Of course that "general sense" is actually a huge window of time. Theoretically this could have even been before the First Fall of FAQ, and also we still have no idea how long passes between Books 0 and 1. However I suppose I'd hazard a guess it's after the Fall of Haffaton, and these sides are what appeared in the void.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby s-dub » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:43 pm

What if Charlie read it?
s-dub

Postby Salem » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:54 pm

0beron wrote:Huh so little rules detail thrown in there, CWL status is not automatically revoked by capture. Provided the Ruler does not appoint a replacement, the unit would resume being CWL if escaped/released/rescued.

Also cool to the get the general sense of time thrown in there. Of course that "general sense" is actually a huge window of time. Theoretically this could have even been before the First Fall of FAQ, and also we still have no idea how long passes between Books 0 and 1. However I suppose I'd hazard a guess it's after the Fall of Haffaton, and these sides are what appeared in the void.

Actually, I believe this is after the fall of FAQ. Jillian is referenced as a barbarian. Also, I think it was mentioned that earlier that FAQ was one of those sides that had fallen.
"Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!"
Salem
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:00 am

0beron wrote:Theoretically this could have even been before the First Fall of FAQ, and also we still have no idea how long passes between Books 0 and 1.
That would require that Jillian pretend to be a barbarian when she's really not a barbarian, and I'm not sure that's possible. Also, it seems unlikely that she would complain about the hat being a loaner if she could get a hat from Faq. She'd have to be doing it as a pretense, and that seems unlike her.
Lilwik

Postby Silversought » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:16 am

Lilwik wrote:That would require that Jillian pretend to be a barbarian when she's really not a barbarian, and I'm not sure that's possible. Also, it seems unlikely that she would complain about the hat being a loaner if she could get a hat from Faq. She'd have to be doing it as a pretense, and that seems unlike her.

I think it -is- possible to pretend that you're a barbarian, presuming that nobody is familiar with your appearance. Inner Peace episode 28 suggests that the only reason Jillian couldn't fool Sidehug into believing she was barbarian was because of the size of her military. That said, the fact that Jillian -doesn't- have a military force suspicious to Crush does suggest that this is post-FAQ (not 100% confident, but it's a reasonable inference).
Silversought

Postby Hatu » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:32 am

Well, I quite enjoyed Crush's story. Nicely done. I'll be curious to see what comes of.

-H
Hatu
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Tathar » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:02 am

The last sentence really sold the importance of this story in the big picture. Overall, a great update. One of the best yet.
Beeskee wrote:I was reluctant to assume Charlie was the Wizard, since it seems like if a butterfly farts in an unmapped hex, we're all ready to assume it's somehow part of Charlie's grand schemes to control the wind or whatever.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Tathar » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:32 am

s-dub wrote:What if Charlie read it?

He'd probably exclaim "I have seen my death!" We're looking at elements of a large, self-sustaining mutual defense force that can expand to include new sides as the collective force defeats them. If Charlie's not quaking in his boots after that, he doesn't get it.

There's a number of elements I would say are essential for an alliance of this size or greater:
  • Member sides are expected to individually build an army large enough to defend against a single outside force, or two outside forces, if possible. Weak points should be minimized.
  • Poorer sides are to receive financial assistance from richer sides in building their armies. Everyone has a vested interest in mitigating weak points in the alliance's defenses.
  • Alliance members are not to attack other sides except in response to an assault from outside. If an outside force attacks, then that side must be beaten back until it surrenders or is eliminated.
  • Every member side is expected to come to the aid of a side under attack, contributing a portion of their armies. If you've been building a complete army or two like you were supposed to, then you shouldn't have any problem giving up some of your defenses for this cause.
  • Any outside force that is defeated by the alliance must be given a chance to join upon surrender or the impending capture of the capital. This allows the alliance to expand and grow stronger over time.
  • Any member side that breaks alliance and attacks another member side shall be treated the same as any outside force. There may be extra sanctions required as part of the conditions for allowing that side to return to the alliance.
You can probably see where the Union applies some of these elements. As long as these rules remain in place and are enforced, you'll have an alliance strong enough to fight any threat without becoming weak elsewhere, while also cohesive enough that only a fool would break alliance or attack it.
Beeskee wrote:I was reluctant to assume Charlie was the Wizard, since it seems like if a butterfly farts in an unmapped hex, we're all ready to assume it's somehow part of Charlie's grand schemes to control the wind or whatever.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MadZuri » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:04 am

If Jill had a side, hiring her would require forming an alliance with said side. Also, judging by how stingy she was with upkeep and spoils, she was most likely living off her purse. She stated herself (link not included) that it was extremely difficult to pay upkeep while a barbarian.
MadZuri

Postby Lilwik » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:23 am

MadZuri wrote:If Jill had a side, hiring her would require forming an alliance with said side.
It would require an alliance with barbarians too, otherwise the barbarians wouldn't be able to move during Firstpost's turn, but I agree that in forming the alliance Crush would probably need to know what side Jillian is from. Even though it has been established that you can't tell a barbarian just by looking at her, forming an alliance probably prevents any pretense.
Lilwik

Postby Danalog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:35 am

I liked this story! I'm glad that the donor gave permission to post it, I hope the rest do too!
Danalog

Postby kagato23 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:45 am

A little sad we didn't get to find out how a coup works... though I'm sure it'll come up someday.

Though now I want to know how your chief warlord can beat the piss out of you and not get disbanded...
Portal X Parson OTP!
kagato23
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby M.A.D » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:55 am

Well, if the chief warlord hit him in the face until the King can only pronounce it as "diffbanded", then he can't technically be disbanded. Also, I think it can't be considered a coup, technically, since the King still got to keep his seat. That was an act done with the intent of preserving the side + total distrust and disloyal of the current ruler. And maybe Scrofula secretly enjoys it, like with Axe's brother.

I take it that Jillian did make it to the capital, seeing as she had indeed made a cameoflage?
M.A.D

Postby Hayes » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:57 am

Great update! I too am glad that this ultimately provided some hints as to the direction of the main story.

Cameoflage - nice.

Improcerous - even better! At first I thought this was a misspelled reference to the "impocerous" mentioned in the "King of the Forest" song from The Wizard of Oz, but it's actually more clever than that (look it up).
Hayes

Postby victor227 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:53 am

M.A.D wrote:Well, if the chief warlord hit him in the face until the King can only pronounce it as "diffbanded", then he can't technically be disbanded. Also, I think it can't be considered a coup, technically, since the King still got to keep his seat. That was an act done with the intent of preserving the side + total distrust and disloyal of the current ruler. And maybe Scrofula secretly enjoys it, like with Axe's brother.

I take it that Jillian did make it to the capital, seeing as she had indeed made a cameoflage?

It's possible that Scrofula had simply reached the end of his rope, and submitted. Axe's loyalty was absolute, and the only way a warlord like that could turn against his ruler in such a way is because the side is at stake, and he believes it with every fiber of his being. Scrofula had gone through Racket, Duncan, and now even Axe, the bullheaded fighter who followed orders and didn't come up with creative concepts or ideas, was defying him. He must have known that if he did disband Axe, he'd have no heir, no chief warlord, and he'd be at a grave military disadvantage. There's just a line he couldn't cross I suppose. That he lobbied for Bellyclub to join the Union in the end shows a change of tone, that he still acknowledged his friendship with them, but wanted to exercise it in a way that showed mercy and benefit for them.

I'm just glad the whole thing had a somewhat happy ending! Of course, there's no such thing as eternal peace. Charlie has the firepower and magic to veil in dozens of archons to each Union capital and wipe them out for instance, or perhaps the Union doesn't even exist anymore. Jillian was a mercenary for a good long while before Stanley was on her radar, the information pieced together from multiple sources, and Erfworld is rather large. - Also glad that Fate didn't play a part in these events, unless Crush was 'fated' to win and write a book that say, Parson would read. I'm starting to agree with Charlie and Parson at this rate, that Fate is a heavy-handed DM.
victor227

Next

Return to Reactions